Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I did a quick google to see who were names mentioned to be available after Kubiak was fired (articles from ESPN, SI, and Bleacher Report)

Mike Zimmer
Darrell Bevell
Ken Whisenhunt
Pete Carmicheal
Sean McDermott
Lovie Smith

There are others like Kevin Sumlin, Art Briles, etc.

But man none of them I believe could have destroyed the Texans as bad as OB has. They may not have worked out, but OB is a man that stands alone in the type of destruction he did to the team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Give me one of these innovative offensive minds that will know how to use Watson. That’s your biggest asset that you can’t waste any more time with. I think getting the offense going can be pretty quick.

The defense is going to take awhile to overhaul with the restrictions they have, cap issues, no draft picks.
You dont think that cutting guys like N.Martin/Watt/DJ etc... wouldn't open up enough cap space to say add a CB1 and a cover LB? You dont think they can find an upgrade at S/NT in the 3rd/4th rd? 4 new quality starters would make a huge difference in the defense.

HouTx11

Rookie
Hey what if RAC helps turns this train around and this team finishes 11-5. Do you give him a shot and keep him on as the HC?
ONLY if your hypothetical situation happens and the Texans don't lose another game, I would be willing to see if he can continue the winning streak well into the 2021 season and the Texans make a deep playoff run this season.

The likely hood will be that the Texans will continue to suck, so the Texans will need to send RAC out the door and bring in a true winner.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hey what if RAC helps turns this train around and this team finishes 11-5. Do you give him a shot and keep him on as the HC?
You find a place to keep with the team with some real power/influence. Not to where he would overrule a HC or GM, but at least his voice will be heard.

But Romeo doesn't want to be a HC anymore than he wants to be a DC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want Greg Roman.
Texans need Greg Roman.

I want a guy who is responsible for the entire offense. I like Bieniemy and would not be upset with that hire, but Reid is what makes that engine go imo.

Roman has done well with mobile qbs. Kaep,Tyrod and now Jackson. And I think Deshaun’s Skillset is closer to those guys than it is to Mahomes. Mahomeshas good mobility, but that dude is a football thrower. He is a distributor of the rock like a pg picking defenses apart. He just has a better arm and sees the field differently.

Not to make this a Watson thread, but I think he needs to have more designed plays that take advantage of his running ability. There’s easy yards to be picked up that have been left on the field simply due to over complicating things.

I think Roman matches well with Watson, and based on his background and reading about him he seems extremely flexible. Willing to take chances and try things based on his personnel. I also like that he’s Been in and around multiple organizations so he probably has a good idea of what to avoid and what to incorporate.
Plus he seems like the kind of upbeat personality this team will need next year.

So yeah, he’s the guy I’m hoping for.
I'm not a Roman fan after he failed in I think it was Buffalo. Why do you think DW4 stopped running the ball like he used too? There havve been plenty of chances for DW4 to run and for some reason he hasn't been willing to take the opportunities he's been given?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm not a Roman fan after he failed in I think it was Buffalo. Why do you think DW4 stopped running the ball like he used too? There havve been plenty of chances for DW4 to run and for some reason he hasn't been willing to take the opportunities he's been given?
I think OBRIEN got through to #4 to stop. Your point I agree with that there are times DeShaun needs to run as well as planned Plays for him But I prefer Watson not to take unnecessary hits.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There havve been plenty of chances for DW4 to run and for some reason he hasn't been willing to take the opportunities he's been given?
I'm hoping he decided he wasn't going to be 95% of our offense, making things happen on broken plays. If they weren't going to be allowed to run what he, Tim Kelly, & Carl Smith came up with during the week, he's going to play O'Brien's way.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think OBRIEN got through to #4 to stop. Your point I agree with that there are times DeShaun needs to run as well as planned Plays for him But I prefer Watson not to take unnecessary hits.
I really dont care if DW4 gets hit or not now. I just want the offense and DW4 in particular to show improvement.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You dont think that cutting guys like N.Martin/Watt/DJ etc... wouldn't open up enough cap space to say add a CB1 and a cover LB? You dont think they can find an upgrade at S/NT in the 3rd/4th rd? 4 new quality starters would make a huge difference in the defense.

No .... Not if the cap is the expected 175m for next season. Just doesn't create enough space when you'll have ~25-30m in cap space and 25ish open roster spots.

Minimum salaries for 2020 (couldn't find 21)
  • 0 (Zero) Credited Seasons: $610,000
  • 1 Credited Season: $675,000
  • 2 Credited Seasons: $750,000
  • 3 Credited Seasons: $825,000
  • 4 to 6 Credited Seasons: $910,000
  • 7+ Credited Seasons: $1,050,000

If you sign one dude for ~$12m at one of the positions you suggest , you now have $18m to fill out the other 24 roster spots.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
He didn't really fail in Buffalo. He and Rex Ryan just clashed.

And I'll take the approval of the Harbough brothers before I worry whatsoever what Rex Ryan thinks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No .... Not if the cap is the expected 175m for next season. Just doesn't create enough space when you'll have ~25-30m in cap space and 25ish open roster spots.

If you sign one dude for ~$12m at one of the positions you suggest , you now have $18m to fill out the other 24 roster spots.
So you let WFV walk and that will clear up some $$$$ and Cooks renegotiated contract should clear up enough space to add another premium FA. Watt getting cut is going to be the start of cleaning up this if I was in charge.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So you let WFV walk and that will clear up some $$$$ and Cooks renegotiated contract should clear up enough space to add another premium FA. Watt getting cut is going to be the start of cleaning up this if I was in charge.

WFV isn't factored into the above and Cooks .... he may rather be cut than rework his deal.

Money is going to be very tight in the coming offseason. Don't expect much to be spent on premium FA's. More likely is several lower to mid level signings hoping someone out performs their contract.

As for the scenario I laid out above where they sign one mid tier FA for ~12m leaving 18m to fill 24 roster spots .... How good do you think those 24 players are going to be signing for peanuts ?

Quite a few teams are in the same boat but that doesn't help this team cause who the hell wants to play for them when they've shown to be totally inept for most of two decades.
They aren't going to get the pick of the litter to come play for cheap - those guys are going to go to contenders - KC , Sea , GB, Balt ...

They are in cap hell and its only going to get worse when that $40m per kicks in in 22.

Here's a link to next years cap hits and dead money if cut .... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap/2021/

Only 3 players making $5m or more come with no dead money - Watt , Cooks and Duke which adds up to $34.65m which gets them $15.185m under the cap.

Can you really see them cutting Watt ? I can't , not with this marketing firm , he's a sacred cow .... which takes away $17.5m of that leaving them $2.315m over the cap before they start cutting / renegotiating players with dead money to create enough space to fill out the roster with 21 more players.

The cavalry aint coming in 2021.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As for the scenario I laid out above where they sign one mid tier FA for ~12m leaving 18m to fill 24 roster spots ....
Try to sign that $12M/yrs average salary to a 5 year deal $2M salary $2.25M prorated bonus & you've got a $4.25M cap hit.

I understand what you are saying & I've grossly over simplified capology. But signing a mid tier guy doesn't have to be a big chunk of the cap right off the bat.

All we need is a smooth talking big eared fella who can talk his way to the right hand of an owner type salesman to close the deal.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
WFV isn't factored into the above and Cooks .... he may rather be cut than rework his deal.

Money is going to be very tight in the coming offseason. Don't expect much to be spent on premium FA's. More likely is several lower to mid level signings hoping someone out performs their contract.

As for the scenario I laid out above where they sign one mid tier FA for ~12m leaving 18m to fill 24 roster spots .... How good do you think those 24 players are going to be signing for peanuts ?

Quite a few teams are in the same boat but that doesn't help this team cause who the hell wants to play for them when they've shown to be totally inept for most of two decades.
They aren't going to get the pick of the litter to come play for cheap - those guys are going to go to contenders - KC , Sea , GB, Balt ...

They are in cap hell and its only going to get worse when that $40m per kicks in in 22.

Here's a link to next years cap hits and dead money if cut .... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap/2021/

Only 3 players making $5m or more come with no dead money - Watt , Cooks and Duke which adds up to $34.65m which gets them $15.185m under the cap.

Can you really see them cutting Watt ? I can't , not with this marketing firm , he's a sacred cow .... which takes away $17.5m of that leaving them $2.315m over the cap before they start cutting / renegotiating players with dead money to create enough space to fill out the roster with 21 more players.

The cavalry aint coming in 2021.
Wow,

I want to see within reason cutting whatever it takes to clear enough room to hope add 2 premium players and through trades I can see them adding a couple of draft picks in the 3rd that can play. This is how I'm going to judge the new GM.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Wow,

I want to see within reason cutting whatever it takes to clear enough room to hope add 2 premium players and through trades I can see them adding a couple of draft picks in the 3rd that can play. This is how I'm going to judge the new GM.

Think about it , for every player you cut , you have to replace too ...

How much better are you going to be cutting 8-10 players just to add one or two .... and you still have to replace them within the cap.

If you ask me , this year should be about clearing the deck of all the under performing , over weight contracts and setting up for the future. But according to what Cal said recently , that's not going to happen - He wants to "get the band back together" which means the earliest the real rebuild process begins is next season ....

Look forward to 2022.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you ask me , this year should be about clearing the deck of all the under performing , over weight contracts and setting up for the future. But according to what Cal said recently , that's not going to happen - He wants to "get the band back together" which means the earliest the real rebuild process begins is next season ....
So... you're saying we should start cutting & trading now, or are we talking about the end of the season?

I thought Cal was just saying we're going to play the rest of the season like we plan on winning something.

Just saying we're not giving up on the season, the kind of thing we & the players "need" to hear.

I expect bodies to hit the floor at the end of the season regardless Cal's "coach speak."

Ir if we loose to Jacksonville depending on which comes first.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Maybe Deshaun wants to be known for his arm than his legs and is making a conscious effort to be a Passer first.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
So... you're saying we should start cutting & trading now, or are we talking about the end of the season?

I thought Cal was just saying we're going to play the rest of the season like we plan on winning something.

Just saying we're not giving up on the season, the kind of thing we & the players "need" to hear.

I expect bodies to hit the floor at the end of the season regardless Cal's "coach speak."

Imo, you evaluate the team around the trade deadline. If no shot at playoffs, have a fire sale. If team has a real shot, id say hold off on dealing players until the off-season, hell make a move for Ryan Kerrigan if a run seems highly likely .

Texansballer74

The Marine
You have a good team so why cut or trade anyone. Yall really trying to leave the next coaching staff handcuffed right off the back.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

What I think and what Cal said are polar opposites. He seems to want to play it out with the current cast obviously thinking they are better than they have shown.

I think that's a waste of time and assets.

I see it as why put off the inevitable - Start now , put all that dead money on this years cap and give the new regime a clean slate to start off with , maybe even pick up a few draft assets along the way so you can begin to heal the damage done by OB and Co.

Waiting for the offseason just kicks the can down the road and we are eventually forced to cut guys and eat dead money with no possibility of compensation in return ....This team aint winning much of anything , why not set yourself up for future success instead when your ceiling is 6-10. Who cares about 2 more wins in a season like this ?!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You have a good team so why cut or trade anyone. Yall really trying to leave the next coaching staff handcuffed right off the back.

They will be handcuffed with the current cast and cap situation .... 38 contracts on the books for next year at 196m while the cap is 175m and they have to fill 17 spots with that negative $20m in cap space.

Again , here's the link for next years finances.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I think Watt is trade-able, there’s no need to cut him out right. Depending on how the rest of the year shakes out Cooks is probably trade-able as well. There are multiple guys on the roster that the new staff will need to look long and hard at. We have several guys that could be cut and their current level of production could be replaced for much less money. The 2 Johnsons, Martin and Mc Kinney immediately come to mind.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't think we have the room in this year's cap.

Sure they do .... by moving some of those players they are going to free up space which makes room for cheap replacements and dead money.

Even the most toxic contract - Mercilus could be dumped via trade with dead money hits of 1.15m this year and 4.65m next which clears the deck for 22.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Think about it , for every player you cut , you have to replace too ...

How much better are you going to be cutting 8-10 players just to add one or two .... and you still have to replace them within the cap.

Look forward to 2022.
I'm okay taking a chance on a young wr or 2 and a C. But if you want to improve the defense would you be willing to say, cut some of the players I mentioned to say add a premium CB and a coverage LB that is good. Then backfill the offense with the draft .
It wouldn't hurt me feelings at all if they added a coverage LB/CB and then added a S in the 3rd. Followed by a NT in the 3rd after trading back up and filling in the offense with retreads. You can find decent WRs and OG's on the che
Maybe Deshaun wants to be known for his arm than his legs and is making a conscious effort to be a Passer first.
Well he's failing at this then.

I don't know how I feel about that. While talented, he hasn't earned that kind of input. But I guess with the money committed to him, the Texans believe it may be warranted to solicit his opinion. I don't want the HC to be tied to Watson...let the QB coach, OC and Watson all be bffs.

mussop

Hall of Fame
One thing that concerns me about these guys we're talking about , you have to wonder how wide a net they can cast to bring in quality OC/DC , position coaches and other assistants.

That would be second on my priority list behind "How are you going to get the most out of Watson."
Beinnemy (sp?) would most likely bring in Mike Kafka as OC. He currently is QUARTERBACKS COACH/PASSING GAME COORDINATOR