Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

I was hoping no one would post this, when I first read it on another website I almost puked. I'm hoping this is some kind of exploratory process by whomever is doing the interviewing to gain insight on the aspects to look for in a HC.
I’m open to a retread. Jim Caldwell sounds like a good candidate to me.

I’m also not opposed to Marvin Lewis. The Bengals were a pretty bad organization. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lewis was wildly successful with a slightly less bad organization, like Dallas or even Jacksonville.

Not sure how secret it can be when you have to request permission..

Yes but if you don't announce it then who knows who you talked to. Gives a little leverage to a candidate. He can say someone made an offer but he is not sure yet. So, you are going to ask how much and raise it if you want them. Smart really

Yes but if you don't announce it then who knows who you talked to. Gives a little leverage to a candidate. He can say someone made an offer but he is not sure yet. So, you are going to ask how much and raise it if you want them. Smart really

The ballclub he's employed by knows and they have no obligation to keep it a secret. No team is gonna risk looking that shady.

Also I'm fairly certain that given rules like this one and the Rooney Rule that there's some degree of transparency compliance. Not to mention several of these guys share the same agent. As well as them interviewing for more than one team and having contacts that are networked as such.

'So Mr. Bieniemy, what can you tell us about your plans for Deshaun's continued growth..'

auto_stag-kidnapping-idea-party-krakow1485942974-570x410.jpg

I was hoping no one would post this, when I first read it on another website I almost puked. I'm hoping this is some kind of exploratory process by whomever is doing the interviewing to gain insight on the aspects to look for in a HC.
Gulp......they got to the bottom of the barrel in a hurry!!!!!!!!

These made me laugh.

Marvin Lewis' problem for me, is good but not good enough. More 9-7, maybe 10-6 1st round exit football. Then again that's oh so :logo::texans:

Schottenheimer is not ranked over EB for the job. And probably behind Caldwell too. I don't know if it's the Rooney rule or not but all the people who we see interested in are minorities thus far. Let me be clear I don't care what race, color or creed our GM and HC are... just as long as they win. Hence why I mentioned Steel might be onto something about Watson asking for a minority GM and HC.

The guy who said"imagine what he could do with a compatant FO" summed it

ttps://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/nfl-world-reacts-marvin-lewis-news/amp

I think it is clear who is the target. But, while I like him...I would rather go for a Harbaugh first.

It looks as though Harbaugh made a move to appease Michigan and shouldn’t have an issue finding a top replacement. I think Harbaugh is planning to stay in Michigan.

Again, I like Bieniemy but I question his total input into KC offensive success. I still see Reid as the architect and actual OC. I just have zero desire to watch a candidate that I’m not 100% confident in....be the one who’s going to turn this team around.

I’m making a change in my preferred HC b/c Harbaugh appears to be staying in Michigan. I think Joe Brady could be the next McVay or Shanahan since it was “his” offense that really elevated Burrow at LSU and breathed life into the Panthers offense. Injuries played a big part in the Panthers not putting on a bigger show.

My biggest concern for Brady...like Bieniemy...is assembling a solid staff. Second, can Brady hire a solid OC who could not only execute Brady’s offensive vision but give Brady the confidence to focus on being the HC versus trying to wear 2 hats in year 1.

So, if I am picking a rookie HC, then I’m going to pick Joe Brady b/c I think he can make the next step.

Again, I like Bieniemy but I question his total input into KC offensive success. I still see Reid as the architect and actual OC. I just have zero desire to watch a candidate that I’m not 100% confident in....be the one who’s going to turn this team around.

I’m making a change in my preferred HC b/c Harbaugh appears to be staying in Michigan. I think Joe Brady could be the next McVay or Shanahan since it was “his” offense that really elevated Burrow at LSU and breathed life into the Panthers offense. Injuries played a big part in the Panthers not putting on a bigger show.

My biggest concern for Brady...like Bieniemy...is assembling a solid staff. Second, can Brady hire a solid OC who could not only execute Brady’s offensive vision but give Brady the confidence to focus on being the HC versus trying to wear 2 hats in year 1.

So, if I am picking a rookie HC, then I’m going to pick Joe Brady b/c I think he can make the next step.

I searched for a comparison of the two. Might oughta throw Arthur Smith in with those two - pretty impressive guys all ! Wish I knew enough to rate offensive line coaches - going in to Sunday, looks like we're operating with about 1 1/2 of 5 !!

Is DW essentially forcing a minority head coaching hire or at the least the feckless Texans owner deciding to kowtow to what the franchise QB prefers or am I reading this wrong? It would seem like a mistake to limit your candidate pool. I would think we get the guy we most believe can get us to a Super Bowl.

Is DW essentially forcing a minority head coaching hire or at the least the feckless Texans owner deciding to kowtow to what the franchise QB prefers or am I reading this wrong
This is why we ask for links. One person repeatedly says stupid sht like this, now we've got newbies, lurkers, infrequent posters thinking it's possibly true.

We shouldn't have to unprove this garbage

Jim Caldwell, Bienamy, Marvin Lewis have been the names that have come up most recently. I could be completely wrong. I just find it atypical for the NFL hiring process. I frankly don’t care what the person looks like I just want them to be a heck of a coach.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprise and could understand why he would pick the Jags over the Texans. A potential QB on a rookie contract, low expectations, an owner who showed patience with the previous HC and no 'shadow" GM/EVP/Preacher in the organization.
Would it upset you that he’s with a division rival?

Personally I’d be curious to see him take a young QB from day one, installing a new offense. & he’ll be doing it all for the first time.

If he brings in an inexperienced OC, I’d say the deck is stacked against him. But if he brings in a tried & true OC, I think they should be feared very soon.

Would it upset you that he’s with a division rival?

Personally I’d be curious to see him take a young QB from day one, installing a new offense. & he’ll be doing it all for the first time.

If he brings in an inexperienced OC, I’d say the deck is stacked against him. But if he brings in a tried & true OC, I think they should be feared very soon.
No. I would not be upset. It's the McNair's fault that they are in this situation where a HC would pick the Jags over the Texans.

I read recently but don't have the link so I can just be ignored that Eric Bieniemy is not highly thought by more than one NFL team. Allegedly has not interviewed well for other head coaching positions.

That is correct. Just skimming other team sites and forums. So far, I have seen his name mentioned by a few people. However, ONLY Houston is said to be "pursuing" or anything like that. I read on I think it was the Falcons forum that they are not going to interview him as was said previously. Something about Marvin Lewis being interviewed however.

This is why we ask for links. One person repeatedly says stupid sht like this, now we've got newbies, lurkers, infrequent posters thinking it's possibly true.

We shouldn't have to unprove this garbage

Can you unprove it? Not at the present time you can't. Watson has started he is a big fan of EB, and mentioned I think something about highly respected Cadwell.

Again, maybe it is the Rooney rule. But, so far not 1 person can say that any non-minority canidate has been interviewed. For that matter none have ever been mentioned by the Texans. Only by the fans. And you are crazy if you think Cal and Easterby are going to pick a HC that Watson is not 110% on. Steel made the comment about it and it seems that way so far.

No. I would not be upset. It's the McNair's fault that they are in this situation where a HC would pick the Jags over the Texans.
Do you believe he’s a good coach is what I’m asking. I assume you’re not worried about the Jags winning the division, or at least haven’t for some time now. If Bieniemy is a Jaguar, would that change?

Do you believe he’s a good coach is what I’m asking. I assume you’re not worried about the Jags winning the division, or at least haven’t for some time now. If Bieniemy is a Jaguar, would that change?
Lawrence and OL Cosmi round one and two round twos in top 46 will help also.

Jim Caldwell, Bienamy, Marvin Lewis have been the names that have come up most recently. I could be completely wrong. I just find it atypical for the NFL hiring process. I frankly don’t care what the person looks like I just want them to be a heck of a coach.

You can easily find recent links mentioning Matt Eberflus (Colts DC) or Robert Saleh (49ers DC) or Don Martindale (Ravens DC) or even Brian Scottenheimer (SEA OC) as potential candidates.

What you will NOT find are any valid links where Watson wants a minority HC. The odds that SteelB and SnakeEyes are the same person posting this unproven comment is greater than Watson actually demanding something like this.

You can easily find recent links mentioning Matt Eberflus (Colts DC) or Robert Saleh (49ers DC) or Don Martindale (Ravens DC) or even Brian Scottenheimer (SEA OC) as potential candidates.

What you will NOT find are any valid links where Watson wants a minority HC. The odds that SteelB and SnakeEyes are the same person posting this unproven comment is greater than Watson actually demanding something like this.

You will see.

BTW, I hope Saleh gets the job.

His undermanned defense did a great job of shutting down Kyler/Nuk and Company today. He's proven he can have a successful defense even if half of his defense is on the IR.

I think he is a good coach and with the right staff can be a very good HC who can win the division. If he is in the division and the Texans hire a competent HC, I can see the AFC South being similar to the NFC West with four quality HCs battling.

Really depend upon what he has to work with in terms of talent.

Even if they pick Trevor Lawrence , they don't have the weapons around him that he has to work with in KC. That team is just loaded with offensive talent .... and a quality OL.

Their defense is capable but the offense is poor to middling talent wise.

They will probably end up with the #1 pick .... And they have the most cap space in the league for the coming offseason at $84,433,071.

They could easily attract some premium talent at key positions and make a rapid turn around.

What type of staff do you think he can put together?
I don't know. EB has been around the league over 20 years. He has a lot of contacts. Still, that's one of the most important questions you can ask a prospective head coach. One of the most important questions a prospective head coach can ask a team is, `What is my budget for assistant coaches`.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I don't know. EB has been around the league over 20 years. He has a lot of contacts. Still, that's one of the most important questions you can ask a prospective head coach. One of the most important questions a prospective head coach can ask a team is, `What is my budget for assistant coaches`.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The McNair's should do something out of character and pay top $$$$ for the best asst coaches possible. Experienced guys, not rookies.

Back