Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

Here you go how it works and why while it clears up space it can be bad...

Romeo on Watson getting hurt and holding the ball too long

Is anyone surprise that WR5, WR6 and WR7 on the depth chart cannot get open as quickly as WR1, WR2, WR3 and even WR4. I guess with Watson protecting himself, the OC also has to scheme these WRs open in a quick passing game. I take it that was your point.... :kitten:

Edit: That article you posted leaves a significant point that Romeo was making. This is what Romeo said. As you can see, it omitted a chunk of Romeo's statement.

Last edited:
Is anyone surprise that WR5, WR6 and WR7 on the depth chart cannot get open as quickly as WR1, WR2, WR3 and even WR4. I guess with Watson protecting himself, the OC also has to scheme these WRs open in a quick passing game. I take it that was your point.... :kitten:

Edit: That article you posted leaves a significant point that Romeo was making. This is what Romeo said. As you can see, it omitted a chunk of Romeo's statement.

I posted what was written in the link. And Romeo did say he held it too long. But tomatoe tomoto it is what it is and anyone who sees 1 version vs the full are going to have a different opinion.

Sure. He had success with 49ers. I can't deny that. I only said his track record in college is not a selling point. At least his most recent stint in college football.

Bieneimy and Harbaugh both seem like conservative choices to me. If people want this amazing and innovative scheme where Watson is slinging the ball all over the place and the Texans become the envy of the NFL, I don't see why you would hire either coach. Yeah, EB is the OC for the Chiefs, but that's really Andy Reid's offense. I get that the Chiefs are the hot stuff in the League right now, and everyone wants to imitate them, but New England was also the hot stuff in the League, and the Texans hired BOB to make the Texans "Patriots South." How did that work out?

My fear is that the Texans pass on Brady and then he goes somewhere else and builds an offense that destroys the rest of the NFL. And then we're stuck with BOB 2.0 or the guy whose offense couldn't put up points on Michigan State.
While it may be true that BO'b didn't work out, other successful coordinators have done well when given the chance to be head coaches.

I feel Eric Bieniemy deserves more credit than you want to give him.

There is no sure thing when it comes to finding a head coach. However a good start is to find one who has a track record of success as a coordinator or as a head coach elsewhere. Also it can't hurt that coordinators come from head coaches who have a track record of winning. I do know that there are successful coordinators from losing teams who deserve a job as a head coach, but still if I am looking, I prefer them to come from winning enviornments.

Bieniemy fits that is spades!

Last edited:
No thank you. One top 10 passing offense in 12 years as an OC. I don't even want him as an assistant.
You could give Schottenheimer the benefit of the doubt that he has worked for multiple defensive HCs and could have been implementing their run first, ball control, conservative philosophy. However, he has been coaching Wilson the last couple of years and Seahawks fans started the "Let Russ cook" meme as a complaint. Based on your valid point. I don't know if he should make the top three finalists.

Bieniemy has been their #1 target since the day OB was fired.

He was the consensus choice of the "original search team" that included Cal , Pancakes and Watson.

I'm kinda shocked there hasn't been tampering charges levied against them.
I meant to have clarified my post more. The post was meant to see if anybody had heard Brian Schottenheimers name mentioned prior to the link I posted.

A person would have to live under a rock not to be aware of the interest the "original search team" have for Bieniemy.

Word going around Seattle is that Schottenheimer is a leading candidate for the HC gig in Houston. I’m not sure how I feel about that because I feel that their offense is good mostly because of Russell Wilson, and because the Seahawks’ scouts and GM are legit. They know how to build a team. I have family in the Pacific Northwest, and they’re all damn near positive that Brian will be our new HC. Your thoughts?

He was the consensus choice of the "original search team" that included Cal , Pancakes and Watson.

Someone in the organization would actually need to make contact with Bieniemy. Nothing illegal about Watson talking about him.

How is any HC candidate a favorite or rumor when we don’t even have a GM yet? Is the GM not supposed to be hired first, then he chooses the HC?

Andy Reid has a history of fully supporting his staff for head coaching gigs, so I doubt he would get in the way of Bieniemy's opportunities (as long as it does not interfere with an on-going season, of course).

Plus, there's the aspect of an additional draft pick for the Chiefs if someone does hire Bieniemy.

I'm ambivalent about Bieniemy. I see the potential, but I also have to wonder how much of an impact he has when you've got Any Reid as HC and Pat Mahomes as QB. Is he just another Josh McDaniels in that regard?

I don't think the Texans are set on Caldwell right now. Just doing what they can do, while they can. But I'd honestly prefer Caldwell to Bienemy. I think I still want Saleh, bring Caldwell in as OC. But we'll see.

I don't think the Texans are set on Caldwell right now. Just doing what they can do, while they can. But I'd honestly prefer Caldwell to Bienemy. I think I still want Saleh, bring Caldwell in as OC. But we'll see.

What are you thinking Saleh will bring as a HC that Bieniemy won't?

And this isn't an attempt to bash one or defend the other, just honestly curious what's got you to feeling that way..

What are you thinking Saleh will bring as a HC that Bieniemy won't?

And this isn't an attempt to bash one or defend the other, just honestly curious what's got you to feeling that way..
Well, my observations are purely superficial. I don't have any special knowledge of any of these guys. Bieniemy scares me because he's got a great coach/play caller/offensive mind on one side of him & a generational talent with a ton of talent around him on the other side. It's hard for me to see what Bieniemy brings to the table other than not screwing it up.

Saleh has been around & has done well every where he's been & at least in San Francisco, that defense is his baby. No doubt about it. To me.

I also like that Caldwell has been a HC before.

Why are they interviewing HC candidates? Shouldn't they be concentrating on getting a new GM so the GM can handle that?
That's I was wondering ? I thought they'd settled on hiring a GM first and then letting him sort thru, screen the HC prospects who would then meet the owner in the final interview ?

Caldwell has taken a team to the SB & was the last coach that took the Lions to the playoffs. I understand the underwhelming feeling Texans fans have about him being interviewed, I have it too...but he's not a bad retread candidate to look at. All of the other hot candidates everyone wants are still in midseason and can't be interviewed just yet. Relax folks.

Caldwell has taken a team to the SB & was the last coach that took the Lions to the playoffs. I understand the underwhelming feeling Texans fans have about him being interviewed, I have it too...but he's not a bad retread candidate to look at. All of the other hot candidates everyone wants are still in midseason and can't be interviewed just yet. Relax folks.

Agreed, let them interview whatever HC or GM they want as long as they don't get hit with a tampering charge. Yes ideally they would interview GMs first but at the same time you have fewer GMs that are considered hot prospects and must be hired on the spot or risk losing them than you do HCs. Plus it could be all the guys they are really interested in for the GM job are currently on a team so they can't approach them yet. All of this is just second hand rumors and most of it from other teams home papers and such. For some reason local sport writers always write stories as if a team is about to lose a player or FO guy to another team even if the league as a whole had barely ever heard of the guy.

I was hoping no one would post this, when I first read it on another website I almost puked. I'm hoping this is some kind of exploratory process by whomever is doing the interviewing to gain insight on the aspects to look for in a HC.

I was hoping no one would post this, when I first read it on another website I almost puked. I'm hoping this is some kind of exploratory process by whomever is doing the interviewing to gain insight on the aspects to look for in a HC.
the Rooney rule does t make sense for us if EB was the target. Wonder who they are targeting

Back