Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

They certainly dont profile as Caserio guys.

Flores/Gannon/Even McCown profile more like Caserio guys. IMHO

Flores kind of blew himself up, Gannon wouldn't meet Caserio's demands and McCown was a trip through Fantasyland.

Makes no sense to me? You just hired Caserio, you were willing to wait out the reign of King Bill, as he dismantled roster, just to get Nick, pay him 6 year deal, then pull the rug from under him only one year in for a Culley hire, from a losing College Football program just to hand over decision making to LS? This just gets weirder and weirder 🤡

IMO after Caserio went through his first disaster in trying to hire his first HC, and the decision to fire him after 1 year only added fuel to the dumpster fire. It was the second embarrassing Caserio disaster trying to hire his 2nd HC in his 2nd year that was the Caserio undoing.

From the time Caserio hired Culley, followed by all the restructuring of contracts (many who were cut midway thru the season) in order to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic, creating $60 million in dead cap, followed by trading away numerous draft picks for players that were cut weeks and a few months later, along with using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players all helped to contribute to the Caserio demise. January this year 2022 you could see a replication of January 2021 process all over again and it was on public display for all to see.

It was easy to see that Nick clearly didn't know or have any idea what he was doing. It was the old flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants management style. So much so that even Cal was able to recognize it and finally said enough is enough. Nick Caserio is a facilitator, he is not a GM.

Last edited:
Flores kind of blew himself up, Gannon wouldn't meet Caserio's demands and McCown has a trip through Fantasyland.

IMO after Caserio went through his first disaster in trying to hire his first HC, and the decision to fire him after 1 year only added fuel to the dumpster fire. It was the second embarrassing Caserio disaster trying to hire his 2nd HC in his 2nd year that was the Caserio undoing.

From the time Caserio hired Culley, followed by all the restructuring of contracts (many who were cut midway thru the season) in order to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic, creating $60 million in dead cap, followed by trading away numerous draft picks for players that were cut weeks and a few months later, along with using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players all helped to contribute to the Caserio demise. January this year 2022 you could see a replication of January 2021 all over again and it was on public display for all to see.

It was easy to see that Nick clearly didn't know or have any idea what he was doing. It was the old flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants management style. So much so that even Cal was able to recognize it and finally said enough is enough. Nick Caserio is a facilitator, he is not a GM.
Damn, was that painful to write? Sure was painful to read (not that it wasn’t well written or your opinion). From Casserly to Caserio, I’ve never understood the McNair fascination with hiring non-Texan football executives to lead a team named the Texans :clown:

Damn, was that painful to write? Sure was painful to read (not that it wasn’t well written or your opinion). From Casserly to Caserio, I’ve never understood the McNair fascination with hiring non-Texan football executives to lead a team named the Texans :clown:
No not really it was just chronically categorizing the events as they happened over a 14-month period. It really wasn't difficult to do if you keep a record. A common trait I've noticed with the McNairs it seems as though they are incapable of making a decision on their own. It appears the McNairs are always relying on others for advice as to what they should do, from Dan Reeves(kubiak), Kerry Consulting, Gary Kubiak (Rick Smith), Bob Kraft (Bill O'Brien), Bill O'Brien(Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio) to Jack Easterby (Nick Caserio). After over 20 years in the league, you would think the McNairs would've developed a checklist of Dos and Don'ts for hiring a successful HC and a GM, along with a 4-year plan. Clearly, they don't have either.

For Example;

Luke Fickell - HC Cincinnati Bearcats, 6 years, 62 -24
Roommate with Mike Vrabel at Ohio St. Made 50 consecutive starts at NT for OSU

2002–2003Ohio State (ST)
2004Ohio State (LB)
2005–2010Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2011Ohio State (interim HC)
2012–2016Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2017–presentCincinnati HC
Head Coach experience

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten Conference) (2011)
2011Ohio State6–73–54th (Leaders)L Gator
Ohio State:6–73–5
Cincinnati Bearcats (American Athletic Conference) (2017–present)
2017Cincinnati4–82–6T–4th (East)
2018Cincinnati11–26–23rd (East)W Military2324
2019Cincinnati11–37–11st (East)W Birmingham2121
2020Cincinnati9–16–01stL Peach88
2021Cincinnati13–18–01stL Cotton44
2022Cincinnati8–25–1
Cincinnati:56–1734–10
Total:62–24
The Texans have never hired a coach with this kind of a successful resume.

List
Experience - Check
Strong winning % - check
Championships - check
Recognition - check
Positive coaching tree - check
Strong recruiting (eye for talent) - check

Last edited:
No not really it was just chronically categorizing the events as they happened over a 14-month period. It really wasn't difficult to do if you keep a record. A common trait I've noticed with the McNairs it seems as though they are incapable of making a decision on their own. It appears the McNairs are always relying on others for advice as to what they should do, from Dan Reeves(kubiak), Kerry Consulting, Gary Kubiak (Rick Smith), Bob Kraft (Bill O'Brien), Bill O'Brien(Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio) to Jack Easterby (Nick Caserio). After over 20 years in the league, you would think the McNairs would've developed a checklist of Dos and Don'ts for hiring a successful HC and a GM, along with a 4-year plan. Clearly, they don't have either.

For Example;

Luke Fickell - HC Cincinnati Bearcats, 6 years, 62 -24
Roommate with Mike Vrabel at Ohio St. Made 50 consecutive starts at NT for OSU

2002–2003Ohio State (ST)
2004Ohio State (LB)
2005–2010Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2011Ohio State (interim HC)
2012–2016Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2017–presentCincinnati HC
Head Coach experience

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten Conference) (2011)
2011Ohio State6–73–54th (Leaders)L Gator
Ohio State:6–73–5
Cincinnati Bearcats (American Athletic Conference) (2017–present)
2017Cincinnati4–82–6T–4th (East)
2018Cincinnati11–26–23rd (East)W Military2324
2019Cincinnati11–37–11st (East)W Birmingham2121
2020Cincinnati9–16–01stL Peach88
2021Cincinnati13–18–01stL Cotton44
2022Cincinnati8–25–1
Cincinnati:56–1734–10
Total:62–24
The Texans have never hired a coach with this kind of a successful resume.

List
Experience - Check
Strong winning % - check
Championships - check
Recognition - check
Positive coaching tree - check
Strong recruiting (eye for talent) - check

Yeah, that part isn't difficult, but living through it is, as a fan, sure in the hell is. I appreciate your informed insight, but events don't seem to bother you as much as most of us. For example, every time I see DeAndre and Watt on another team not named Texans hurts. So many boxes to check, chronologically or otherwise but to me its more emotional attachment, which first led me to become a dedicated draft coinsurer, then to other teams/players so I could just freaking enjoy NFL Football again, but it always comes back to the home team and how dysfunctional and delusional the front office has been.

I’m surprised I didn’t hear any boos yesterday.
There were, supposedly.

Yeah, that part isn't difficult, but living through it is, as a fan, sure in the hell is. I appreciate your informed insight, but events don't seem to bother you as much as most of us. For example, every time I see DeAndre and Watt on another team not named Texans hurts. So many boxes to check, chronologically or otherwise but to me its more emotional attachment, which first led me to become a dedicated draft coinsurer, then to other teams/players so I could just freaking enjoy NFL Football again, but it always comes back to the home team and how dysfunctional and delusional the front office has been.
I've been watching NFL for over 60 years, I was a season ticket holder for 20 years. I have seen enough and experienced enough over the years that my optimism has been replaced with realism. My hope, wanting, Kool-Aid drinking, and wishful thinking have transformed into understanding that 1 + 1 = 2, and if you do X are going to get Y, Cause & Effect. Today I have a much better understanding of what causes and creates bad ownership.

So when Cal McNair says, Trust us, we know what we are doing, I have seen enough and know enough to immediately know that Cal is completely clueless (FOS) and nothing else he could say could be further from the truth. Cal is like Baghdad Bob who is telling all, that all is well and everything is under control while we can see in the background the US tanks and Army filing into the city.

When Steve Spurrier has some less than complimentary remarks to say about JaDeveon Clowney. You listen and take what the coach is telling you at face value.

When Kubiak says he's going to hire his friends and family for his coaching staff, you just know average and ordinary is the plan, it's 1 + 1 = 2, and you take it at face value. Not until Alex Gibbs applies for a job and Bob McNair hires Wade Phillips do things get turned around.

When Bob McNair fires Kubiak because he doesn't play McNair's QB and keeps Rick Smith you know mediocrity will be quickly returning. It's Cause & Effect.

You know Bill O'Brien is hot head after he blew up Tom Brady on the sidelines and had to be physically restrained. A few weeks later he's taking the Penn St job, and the Penn St fans are ready for him to go and say he can't leave fast enough after only 2 years, you just know O'Brien is going to be a disaster in Houston. - You take it all at face value.

You know that when O'Brien recommends to Bob McNair he hire Caserio to replace Rick Smith this is compounding the problem not fixing it. You know when O'Brien recommends Cal hire Jack Easterby the Texans have purchased a dumpster. You know when Easterby convinces Cal to make O'Brien GM the Texans have loaded the dumpster with fuel. - You take it all at face value.

You know when Jack Easterby recommends Cal hire Nick Caserio, a Belichick lackey with only file clerk, some admin and facilitator job experience, who has no GM experience, that along with a massive record of Belichick admin failures, you understand why DW4 tweets, some things never change, and that the odds are very high you just hired another Scott Pioli, only this time it has been worse. - You take it all at face value.

When Davis Mills college coach says that Mills is somewhat accurate on national TV, - you take that at face value.

The Texans are 1 -8 -1, that is what face value has been telling you they would likely be. It's 1 + 1 = 2. It's Cause & Effect. Until there is a complete house cleaning, a massive exorcism followed by several powerful enemas to eliminate all things associated with Bill O'Brien nothing is likely to change.

Last edited:
This is just the price for incompetence. Who hires a HC that's 64 yrs old and gives him a 5 yr deal, particularly when his last 2 stops he was awful at. (Tampa/Illinois)

That moment you realize the owners have learned nothing and will just continue to make ill-informed decisions based on inexperience and the feels. :thud:

Makes no sense to me? You just hired Caserio, you were willing to wait out the reign of King Bill, as he dismantled roster, just to get Nick, pay him 6 year deal, then pull the rug from under him only one year in for a Culley hire, from a losing College Football program just to hand over decision making to LS? This just gets weirder and weirder 🤡

The Texans put the FUN in dysfunction. If their FO fubars weren't so entertaining they'd have nothing to entertain us. :popcorn:

I keep hearing people say 5 billion dollars and it's only $50 million but it's not against the cap. When all is said and done a team in a good year probably makes $50MM to $100MM a year. If constantly flushing $50mm a year down the toilet, they are not making that much if not losing some money.

Owners who are sufficiently rich aren't that worried about their teams making a profit every year, and the Texans so far have been a profitable team.

Owners who are sufficiently rich aren't that worried about their teams making a profit every year, and the Texans so far have been a profitable team.
If you're only netting $50MM or < and you have to split it 5 ways, it's not quite as lucrative as some may think.

And some posters here thought McCown would've been a bad choice. :foottap:

Instead we got the "play for the tie" and "I do not know what to do" coach.:ahhaha:

:coffee:
McCown would have been a bad choice. The Texans problem is that they seem to be reluctant to bring in legit candidates, Daboll, Saleh, Gannon, Ryans, Leftwich, etc. Instead it's David freaking Culley, or no experience whatsoever McCown, or hey Lovie can you save us from yet another fucked up HC search.

McCown would have been a bad choice. The Texans problem is that they seem to be reluctant to bring in legit candidates, Daboll, Saleh, Gannon, Ryans, Leftwich, etc. Instead it's David freaking Culley, or no experience whatsoever McCown, or hey Lovie can you save us from yet another fucked up HC search.

Looking back, McCown would've been a better hire than Lovie and I actually liked the Lovie hire at the time. Although I would've tried to hire an offensive minded HC.

Get his bum ass outta here…i dont think i’ve been this infuriated about a HC ever…just looks clueless over there on the sideline.

you can no longer sit back and let teams pick you apart Lovie. You can no longer hope teams make a mistake and help you out Lovie. On both offense and defense you have to ATTACK.

The game has passed this dude by.

If you were Lovie, what would you have done differently this game?

Responding to your post I'm specifically asking about the defense

Blitz more…& play more man….period. He likes to sit back & make teams matriculate down the field…banking on the idea of either his defense getting a TO, the offenses being unable to execute 10+ play drives to score consistently or them just making a mistake……basically he has his guys playing prevent defense all game where they are deathly afraid of taking a chance on giving up the big play…and offenses are just too good these days to depend on that type of strategy. You have to be more active in forcing mistakes..forcing them to make plays to convert…forcing the qb to be accurate with consistent pressure.. cant really do that sitting back in loose ass zones….then when youre personnel isnt good enough to stop the run, you really can’t do that.

I think it'd be insane to fire Lovie right now. Which was the point I was making, in that it's the sort of thing the Texans do, insane stuff.

And who the hell would be the temp HC? Pep? LOL

And given the Texans comical history, just imagine what they can do.

I believe ST Coach Frank Ross could be the interim HC for the rest of the season. He’s been the only positive as far as the coaching staff goes.

Blitz more…& play more man….period. He likes to sit back & make teams matriculate down the field…banking on the idea of either his defense getting a TO, the offenses being unable to execute 10+ play drives to score consistently or them just making a mistake……basically he has his guys playing prevent defense all game where they are deathly afraid of taking a chance on giving up the big play…and offenses are just too good these days to depend on that type of strategy. You have to be more active in forcing mistakes..forcing them to make plays to convert…forcing the qb to be accurate with consistent pressure.. cant really do that sitting back in loose ass zones….then when youre personnel isnt good enough to stop the run, you really can’t do that.

one of the things we do, that I cannot stand, is on third down our DBs are starting behind the line to gain. It’s no wonder we can’t stop anyone. It looks like our safeties play too deep in general as well. That, combined with our LBs tendency to bite on every play action fake, creates massive holes in 10-20 range where we are constantly getting gashed. I could understand it if our safeties couldn’t run but both guys have good speed

Might as well don’t watch anymore games. They’ll play like this to the end. This is by far the worst football I’ve ever seen.

It was tough watching the Astros deliver three 100+ loss seasons as well…..I swung my attention to the young talent and reveled in how Luhnow was rebuilding the organization from the ground up.

The Texans and Caserio are in the same boat. The rebuild got through the 1.5 year cleanup process from the previous regime. 2023 offers draft picks and cap space, which will be a first for Caserio.

Last edited:
Flores kind of blew himself up, Gannon wouldn't meet Caserio's demands and McCown was a trip through Fantasyland.

From the time Caserio hired Culley, followed by all the restructuring of contracts (many who were cut midway thru the season) in order to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic, creating $60 million in dead cap, followed by trading away numerous draft picks for players that were cut weeks and a few months later, along with using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players all helped to contribute to the Caserio demise. January this year 2022 you could see a replication of January 2021 process all over again and it was on public display for all to see.

Nick has not been great at anything so far. After looking at what he did at Illinois, and hearing the excuses he made while there, I didn't want him to be the DC, much less the HC. His defenses at Illinois were bad to average. I was so confused by the hiring. I guess when Caserio made Culley HC, I kind of forgot about Lovie.

I feel like Caserio is just throwing bodies in front of the podium to shield himself from criticism. As long as Lovie does that well, he'll be here until the talent is in place. If that doesn't happen, if Caserio doesn't draft well (I don't think he did a great job in NE), he'll be gone, and it'll be a rebuild all over again. And I know there are many people that think he's done a good job drafting guys; but just like we shouldn't be saying a guy is a bust in the first couple years, on the flip side we shouldn't say a guy is star in the first few years. It just looked at the past six drafts and there are a lot of guys that looked promising first year or two only to be complete flops.

It was tough watching the Astros deliver three 100+ loss seasons as well…..I swung my attention to the young talent and reveled in how Luhnow was rebuilding the organization from the ground up.

The Texans and Caserio are in the same boat. The process got through the 1.5 year cleanup process from the previous regime. 2023 offers draft picks and cap space, which will be a first for Caserio.

The Astros had a plan. The Texans seem to be throwing darts blindfolded in a hurricane.

You couldn't see the plan at the start of those 100 loss seasons

Actually you could. The Astros told us exactly what the plan was. Doesn’t mean I liked it or accepted it at the time, but at least we knew exactly what they were doing. The Texans? They can’t even get a Bo Porter fill in in here.

The Astros also had great scouting and instruction in the lower levels. NFL teams of course aren’t afforded that luxury of minor leagues, so all the more reason to have a good staff in here teaching what little talent they have brought in.

I certainly don't remember that
It's never about what is said, always about what they do. The Astros rid themselves of any player that wasn't on a rookie deal and concentrated on developing young players. Once they had a core of young players ready for the big leagues, the Astros targeted free agents and players via trades. No team is going to say, "We're about to have triple digit losses 3 years in a row." Just like Caserio won't say the Texans are tanking. Hell, he has to hide his strategy from Cal.

Nick has not been great at anything so far. After looking at what he did at Illinois, and hearing the excuses he made while there, I didn't want him to be the DC, much less the HC. His defenses at Illinois were bad to average. I was so confused by the hiring. I guess when Caserio made Culley HC, I kind of forgot about Lovie.

I feel like Caserio is just throwing bodies in front of the podium to shield himself from criticism. As long as Lovie does that well, he'll be here until the talent is in place. If that doesn't happen, if Caserio doesn't draft well (I don't think he did a great job in NE), he'll be gone, and it'll be a rebuild all over again. And I know there are many people that think he's done a good job drafting guys; but just like we shouldn't be saying a guy is a bust in the first couple years, on the flip side we shouldn't say a guy is star in the first few years. It just looked at the past six drafts and there are a lot of guys that looked promising first year or two only to be complete flops.
IMO, the ownership meddling in coaching hires, along with Easterby (thank God he's no longer with the team) is more worrisome than Caserio.

Back