Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
One mans opinion of how good Derrick really is and time will tell.
You're the only person on the the planet who thought Watson was 10-12 vs 5-7, yet, Davis Mills has this incredible upside? I expect you to trash Smith and Watson at every turn and defend Caserio and Mills . Right now, he's on his 2nd head coach already. Not that I thought much of Culley. I think Caserio is going down the same unsuccessful road as all those other guys who come off the Patriot tree and try to replicate vs having their own vision. The GM from Titans and Bucs are from that tree, but they don't operate in that space.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Mulaghetto’s clients all have that “I’m a star” type personality and are full of themselves. I hope we don’t hire any more of his clients ever again!
Too bad because he has a bunch of them much like Drew Rosenhaus. Good organizations don't duck players because of their agent. He has a couple of guys in the draft he represents, high end guys on top of that. You're going to keep shrinking the talent pool with not dealing with his clients

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Based on Caserio's press conference today, it sounds like he was telegraphing Jerod Mayo when he referenced Mike Tomlin's lack of coordinator experience before becoming HC.

As far as the McNair fortune, let Cal burn through it. It'll either end up as one of the only successful branches of the Belichick tree or cause the "shadow McNairs" to force a sale of the franchise. Either way, the future is bright! lol :shades:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, according to you, Culley was only hired to hold down the fort until the File Clerk could find the right head coach. Part of the File Clerk "PROCESS" was to hire Culley and give him a guaranteed contract thru 2025. The File Clerk fires him a year later paying Culley $22 million for a year's work so the clerk could hire the right head coach for the job, Jerod Mayo. Who the File Clerk could have hired last year, instead of hiring Culley? You just can't make this stuff up. What the hell happened to Flores and McDaniels?

There is a pattern of behavior here and why the Texans are starting off the 2022 season with $50MM in dead money when they started 2021 with $0. This is the kind of crapola that happens when you give a file clerk the keys to the general manager's office. Easterby's contract negotiations are a lot like the File Clerk's money management. Like I said, 2022 is going to be a doozy. Buckle up it's going to be a hell of ride. 2021 was just a warmup.
1st of all it's 8 mil not 22 mil

2nd of all let's see who he hires before we start jumping to conclusions

3rd of all the cap won't matter until the 2023 off-season.

4th of all you haven't answered my question, if you're right you should be happy. Why aren't you happy?

Texian

Hall of Fame
1st of all it's 8 mil not 22 mil
Not according the NFL.COM and David Culley. Don't expect Texans to be forthcoming on this.
2nd of all let's see who he hires before we start jumping to conclusions
OK, does this include you and all talk of Mayo-Flores-McDaniels?
3rd of all the cap won't matter until the 2023 off-season.
Sorry you don't understand how many good players $50MM can sign in 2022. FYI- That would've been a helluva of a good start for a rebuilding program. That's more than enough money to sign the IOL you desperately want.
4th of all you haven't answered my question, if you're right you should be happy. Why aren't you happy?
I am happy, this pretty much working out like I predicted. Regardless it is still hard for me to stomach all the stupidity. And you gotta call em like you see em.
SEE BOLD

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Based on Caserio's press conference today, it sounds like he was telegraphing Jerod Mayo when he referenced Mike Tomlin's lack of coordinator experience before becoming HC.

As far as the McNair fortune, let Cal burn through it. It'll either end up as one of the only successful branches of the Belichick tree or cause the "shadow McNairs" to force a sale of the franchise. Either way, the future is bright! lol :shades:
Wonder what happens when Belichick and Kraft get in his ear and convince him there are better places for him to go? You don't want to end up David Culley. Do you want a file clerk in your ear while the entire football game is going on?

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wonder what happens when Belichick and Kraft get in his ear and convince him there are better places for him to go?
Yep. And I would not be shocked to find out that there's been some tampering considering the M.O. of the Houston Texans Executive Vice President of Football Operations. lol

Not that a little cheating would impact these boys in any sort of way. It's just the cost of doing business. :hmmm:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why didn't they hire McDaniels last year?
I think McDaniels wanted to see how the season went with a rookie QB…..if it went bad, maybe Belichick calls it a career….but, the Patriots had a pretty decent season and the rookie QB played his arse off. Josh probably knows Belichick isn’t going anywhere now so I believe he’ll say yes to Caserio when he calls.

wildroot

Rookie
The Patriots havent had a DC since 2019, and in doing research on Mayo, I've read where BB said the DC duties have been split between Steve Belichick, Jerod Mayo and himself. In another article BB said Mayo has been as much of a DC as anyone else on the team.
I feel like Caserio wouldn't have released Culley if he didn't have his replacement in his back pocket. As the team with the "least attractive" HC destination which I keep reading on various sites, it would stand to reason that either we'd want to get in front of the other teams with a crap load of interview requests, which I haven't seen any of, OR... we're not showing a sense of urgency because Caserio ALREADY has his man wrapped up. He doesn't have to schedule interviews to satisfy the Rooney Rule because his choice satisfies the RR (If I'm correct I just hope we don't get popped for tampering) Then during the presser today, Caserio goes into what a great HC Tomlin has become with only 1 year of cordinator experience under his belt.
I think Flores is too much like OB, too hard headed. I think Caserio would be butting heads with him down the road. From what I've read, the consensus is that McDaniels is not a "leader of men" (I've read that opinion in those words on multiple sites) so it's going to be Mayo.
I'd like to kick the tires on Ryans too.
We should know sooner than later.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
Ryans is my #1 choice. He's the one guy I'd be outright giddy about for so many reasons. That said, I doubt he is even in the serious running.

Out of Patriot guys, Brian Daboll would be an interesting choice and an under the radar pick.

Mayo? I'm less enthused. I see a boom or bust pick and for a guy with scant experience, he'd be under some pretty tremendous challenges. I think he's a clear up and comer...but I feel we're 2-4 years too soon on him. That said, I don't hate it if he is the pick. Unlike Culley, who at 65 never even had an interview for HC, this guy has plenty of room to grow into the job and could build himself while he and the FO build the team. Don't hate it, but just think it's too soon. That said, I could warm up to it.

Out of the main guys mentioned as high likely candidates, Flores would likely be my pick. I just hope he isn't too much BOB. But I do think he did a pretty solid job in Miami and he has HC experience.

McDaniels? Not a huge fan. Look what he did to the Colts. He's an asshole who can't be trusted with his word. Yes, he is probably the one guy that can run the NE style offense successfully, but the job goes beyond X's and O's. I would be disappointed with this pick.

Other guys totally off the radar that I would like are David Shaw (not happening), or Aaron Glenn. AG has plenty of Texans/Houston history, and while the Lions D is bad, I don't blame that all on AG.

Leslie Frazier? Meh. I think LF was not enamored with the situation here. I'll let that sleeping dog lie.

My interview list (if there is mutual interest) is Demeco Ryans, Aaron Glenn, J Mayo, B Flores, and Brian Daboll.

I would leave McDaniels off - not trustworthy. I need a guy I can trust when the chips are down.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Ryans is my #1 choice. He's the one guy I'd be outright giddy about for so many reasons. That said, I doubt he is even in the serious running.

Out of Patriot guys, Brian Daboll would be an interesting choice and an under the radar pick.

Mayo? I'm less enthused. I see a boom or bust pick and for a guy with scant experience, he'd be under some pretty tremendous challenges. I think he's a clear up and comer...but I feel we're 2-4 years too soon on him. That said, I don't hate it if he is the pick. Unlike Culley, who at 65 never even had an interview for HC, this guy has plenty of room to grow into the job and could build himself while he and the FO build the team. Don't hate it, but just think it's too soon. That said, I could warm up to it.

Out of the main guys mentioned as high likely candidates, Flores would likely be my pick. I just hope he isn't too much BOB. But I do think he did a pretty solid job in Miami and he has HC experience.

McDaniels? Not a huge fan. Look what he did to the Colts. He's an asshole who can't be trusted with his word. Yes, he is probably the one guy that can run the NE style offense successfully, but the job goes beyond X's and O's. I would be disappointed with this pick.

Other guys totally off the radar that I would like are David Shaw (not happening), or Aaron Glenn. AG has plenty of Texans/Houston history, and while the Lions D is bad, I don't blame that all on AG.

Leslie Frazier? Meh. I think LF was not enamored with the situation here. I'll let that sleeping dog lie.

My interview list (if there is mutual interest) is Demeco Ryans, Aaron Glenn, J Mayo, B Flores, and Brian Daboll.

I would leave McDaniels off - not trustworthy. I need a guy I can trust when the chips are down.
McDaniels and Caserio have a history together going back to their college days.

Porky

Hall of Fame
McDaniels and Caserio have a history together going back to their college days.
I have history together with my previous co-workers too, but I'm not inviting all of them to my next dinner party. I would probably warm up to McDaniels over time, but I don't care for him personally and for that reason, I'd nix him. I also am not sure he'd be interested to be honest.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Is it wrong for me to not care at all about who the next HC of the Houston Texans will be? I feel like I should care but I don't. Maybe last year's head coaching "search" has left me feeling like I was conned, or maybe it's because I feel like the Texans are still at least five years from being a competitor for just the AFC South division. I don't think you can rebuild a team with only high round draft picks - look at Jacksonville for a reference - and I don't think Houston is attractive to any free agents except the type of free agents that came here last off-season. The kind that are just trying to prolong their flailing NFL careers.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the names being considered for the vacant Texans HC job are going to entice high end free agents to want to come here. There are too many stories of players that left here recently feeling like they were "prisoners", I think is how Cobb described it. And it wasn't because Culley is a mean SOB. Quite the opposite.

I know some here have some insider information inside the Texans organization. But they don't know what's being said around the league (player) circles about the Texans, and neither do I but I don't think they're all talking about itching to come here and play for the McNair's, Jack, and Nick.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
None of this HC speculation really matters while you're letting the guys that chose Culley pick the next one.

Hiring Caserio and Easterby to run the Texans is like hiring Google's janitors to run your software company.

We are an embarrassment.
But... IF you hire all the janitors at google... the toilets over flow, the trash spills out.. it starts to stink really bad.

Then none of their employees want to show up for work.... but you now have a spotless building that google employees want to go to... so you hire them.

You say "embarrassment" I say "Embarrassing like a fox.":spin:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Wonder if he can still play???
Compared to some of the LB play we’ve seen the last two seasons? Of course!

Mayo is another DeMeco Ryans. Hopefully would ascend to Mike Vrabel’s level of success thus far and beyond.

One reason I’d like Mayo over Mcdaniels is that he might not be married to the EP offensive scheme that has been gumming up the Texans offense since 2014. I only want to see EP offense if Mcdaniels is running it at this point.

If I had to choose I’d go with Mcdaniels for experience but Mayo does have that “it” factor as a successful player turned coach that other candidates would not bring.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Compared to some of the LB play we’ve seen the last two seasons? Of course!

Mayo is another DeMeco Ryans. Hopefully would ascend to Mike Vrabel’s level of success thus far and beyond.

One reason I’d like Mayo over Mcdaniels is that he might not be married to the EP offensive scheme that has been gumming up the Texans offense since 2014. I only want to see EP offense if Mcdaniels is running it at this point.

If I had to choose I’d go with Mcdaniels for experience but Mayo does have that “it” factor as a successful player turned coach that other candidates would not bring.
Or…….we can finally get serious about this HC’ing hire..
44045AE6-0C95-4E3E-AB43-2080FA02B8FB.jpeg

Dejaview

All Pro
None of this HC speculation really matters while you're letting the guys that chose Culley pick the next one.

Hiring Caserio and Easterby to run the Texans is like hiring Google's janitors to run your software company.

We are an embarrassment.
Pop culture. Be more specific.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Too bad because he has a bunch of them much like Drew Rosenhaus. Good organizations don't duck players because of their agent. He has a couple of guys in the draft he represents, high end guys on top of that. You're going to keep shrinking the talent pool with not dealing with his clients
Exactly. In baseball, how many teams hate dealing with Scott Boras but keep signing his clients? The same might be true for Mulugheta. He has 38 clients across 22 teams. Good luck avoiding his clients.

David Mulugheta (Athletes First) | Fanspo

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Much bigger potential control issue when his "guidance" is not of a player, but a HC.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
From the Pats tree candidates I think i’m sold on Mayo over Mcdaniels the more I read about him. Short term Mcdaniels is the superior hire… but if this team is thinking long term for the first time in the Cal Mcnair era then the pick is Mayo. Intangibles as a former player turned coach and the stories about his work ethic/leadership just all point to him being a success no matter what he chooses to do in life. So might as well let him coach our football team and be a success at that as well!