Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

What about Brian Callahan?

dont know too much about him…but if the bengals make a deep run this year, his name will definitely be moved to the top of that internal HC candidate list that circulates around the NFL.

Reactions: JB
I personally don't love that. That is my problem with either Mayo or Flores.

Not that I love McDaniels, but we don't have to worry about that side of the ball with him. And it allows Lovie to remain in place as DC, which would be great long-term because he will be 63 this May and will not get another HC job, most likely.

A dark horse who I would love to have is Brian Daboll. Came up with Nick and Easterby in NE, I think they all share the same agent, and he has proven his worth as a play-caller and developer of QB's in Buffalo.
Daboll is intriguing. He was the Pats TE coach and I guess he figured with McDaniels on staff he would never get promoted. So, he left the Pats and took a job as the Alabama OC. He also has previous OC experience with the Browns, Dolphins, Chiefs and Alabama. So, he hasn't spent his entire career in the comfy confines of Foxborough.

I'm not sure if he is a good OC who will struggle as an HC. However, based on his work with Allen, I wouldn't mind if the Texans hire him.

The Texans would have no interest in hiring Flores as HC. More likely the meeting/interview was to feel out the possibility of pushing a future potential trade for Watson if/when Flores finds a landing spot as a HC and if Watson isn't wearing an orange jump suit.
That confirms what I was hoping. I don't want Flores or any of that agent's people. As I have said before if Watson is found guilty I hope he gets the maximum the law offers. If he is not found guilty I continue to hope we can get as much as possible for him. Any team trading for him with this much information knows what they are getting into. I do not know if he is innocent or guilty but I really do not like him as an individual.

They have been doing this every time they interview someone and have a coach tracker page on the official website....wtf is that all about..
It's to give the impression that they are doing their due diligence while already having their minds made up on the next HC.

BTW. Interviewing Hines Ward is just as goofy as interviewing Josh McCown for HC.

Why is he your favorite candidate?

Mainly hes got the right mix of experience. Previous HC with Oakland in the early 2010’s, but was put in a horrible situation similar to Culley in that the previous regime traded away all of their top draft picks..so his 1st year they had no 1st or 2nd. He eventually washed out over there and went to NO & became their D-coordinator…has been there since 2015 & turned their defense around.

further, defensive minded HC’s & their skills as a coach on the defensive side tend to transfer better when they go to new teams…b/c defense is more about effort and cohesion. Offensive philosophy’s tend to be harder to transfer over from team to team b/c they are more skill player Driven. Much harder to replicate the success you had elsewhere on that side of the ball

Last edited:
It's to give the impression that they are doing their due diligence while already having their minds made up on the next HC.

BTW. Interviewing Hines Ward is just as goofy as interviewing Josh McCown for HC.
Last season we thought they brought Lovie Smith in to interview for the HC position. We later found out Culley mentioned that he would reach out to Lovie Smith for DC & Caserio's interview with Lovie was more about the DC position.

Maybe Brian Flores mentioned Hines Ward as someone he'd like to bring in on his staff.

Mainly hes got the right mix of experience. Previous HC with Oakland in the early 2010’s, but was put in a horrible situation similar to Culley in that the previous regime traded away all of their top draft picks..so his 1st year they had no 1st or 2nd. He eventually washed out over there and went to NO & became their D-coordinator…has been there since 2015 & turned their defense around.

further, defensive minded HC’s & their skills as a coach on the defensive side tend to transfer better when they go to new teams…b/c defense is more about effort and cohesion. Offensive philosophy’s tend to be harder to transfer over from team to team b/c they are more skill player Driven. Much harder to replicate the success you had elsewhere on that side of the ball
Interesting take on Allen. You could make the same argument for Allen as Daboll. Poor track record (even as a DC outside of NO Allen wasn't a well-known name). These guys are all crapshoots. But I agree with your initial assessment, he isn't even on the radar it appears.

Interesting take on Allen. You could make the same argument for Allen as Daboll. Poor track record (even as a DC outside of NO Allen wasn't a well-known name). These guys are all crapshoots. But I agree with your initial assessment, he isn't even on the radar it appears.

Agreed, with 1 major difference tho. With Allen, in theory we wouldn’t be worried about the 1st time HC mistakes that a lot of these new guys tend to make as they grow into the position…….we shouldn’t anyway b/c he’s already got the experience. But you never know.

Agreed, with 1 major difference tho. With Allen, in theory we wouldn’t be worried about the 1st time HC mistakes that a lot of these new guys tend to make as they grow into the position…….we shouldn’t anyway b/c he’s already got the experience. But you never know.
Yeah we assume he's learned from his past experience. How he improves is anyone's guess lol. I am privy to offensive-minded head coaches in today's NFL. I think a lot of defensive guys struggle to have to manage the offensive staff but thrive when they can focus on what they do best, case in point Lovie Smith. Plus, when you have a defensive guy, your offense constantly has changes if you hire a good OC out of the gate because they will have aspirations to be a HC. So the turnover sucks.

Yeah we assume he's learned from his past experience. How he improves is anyone's guess lol. I am privy to offensive-minded head coaches in today's NFL. I think a lot of defensive guys struggle to have to manage the offensive staff but thrive when they can focus on what they do best, case in point Lovie Smith. Plus, when you have a defensive guy, your offense constantly has changes if you hire a good OC out of the gate because they will have aspirations to be a HC. So the turnover sucks.

Excellent point. But then you look at guys like Pete Carroll…failed his1st stints, but came around in his 2nd stints and got it right.

If you win your coordinator gets poached.

With an offensive minded HC it's not as big a deal because it's his offense & it's going to be his offense.

That said, Belichick is a defensive guy. But the offense is going to be EP regardless.

So it could work either way. Usually doesn't when you have a defensive minded HC

Excellent point. But then you look at guys like Pete Carroll…Sean McDermott…both failed their 1st stints, but came around in their 2nd stints and got it right.
100%. But look at what Pete is going through now with the turnover on his staff, specifically his offensive staff. Same thing for Sean when Brian leaves. Look at ATL when Lil Shanny left. Those teams get rocked when they lose the offensive mind.

If you win your coordinator gets poached.

With an offensive minded HC it's not as big a deal because it's his offense & it's going to be his offense.

That said, Belichick is a defensive guy. But the offense is going to be EP regardless.

So it could work either way. Usually doesn't when you have a defensive minded HC
Can we not use BB as an example anymore? To assume others will compare to arguably the GOAT is just not fair IMO

100%. But look at what Pete is going through now with the turnover on his staff, specifically his offensive staff. Same thing for Sean when Brian leaves. Look at ATL when Lil Shanny left. Those teams get rocked when they lose the offensive mind.

I made a boo boo..McDermott has never been a HC…nevertheless with Carroll he’s been in place for a decade…in the case of ATL, Smith just wasn’t a good enough HC and Ryan had more or less fell over the hill. Deontae Foreman who was a huge part of that SB run also tore his ACL and was never the same after that. There was a lot more going on with them than just Lil Shanny’s departure.

Last season we thought they brought Lovie Smith in to interview for the HC position. We later found out Culley mentioned that he would reach out to Lovie Smith for DC & Caserio's interview with Lovie was more about the DC position.

Maybe Brian Flores mentioned Hines Ward as someone he'd like to bring in on his staff.
That's fair. Good catch!

Last edited:
The Texans would have no interest in hiring Flores as HC. More likely the meeting/interview was to feel out the possibility of pushing a future potential trade for Watson if/when Flores finds a landing spot as a HC and if Watson isn't wearing an orange jump suit.
Hmm. Caserio, Easterby and Flores are all buddies and can probably pick up the phone and speak to each other or someone close to Flores. He is unemployed. Why go through the charade of an interview?

Can we not use BB as an example anymore? To assume others will compare to arguably the GOAT is just not fair IMO
I'll have to take a deeper look into this. I know it's easier to see the turmoil with offensive turnover. It's an offensive minded league now.

But I still believe our HC needs to be a HC & not a glorified coordinator. These defensive minded coaches changing their offensive system every time they replace an OC is insane

Hmm. Caserio, Easterby and Flores are all buddies and can probably pick up the phone and speak to each other or someone close to Flores. He is unemployed. Why go through the charade of an interview?

I don't know if they're interviewing in person, but if it was online, you call that conversation an interview and you can check your Rooney rule box. But if in person, yeah, I'm with you.

I'll have to take a deeper look into this. I know it's easier to see the turmoil with offensive turnover. It's an offensive minded league now.

But I still believe our HC needs to be a HC & not a glorified coordinator. These defensive minded coaches changing their offensive system every time they replace an OC is insane

i don’t think NC would allow that to happen. If the HC wants a new OC, he’d likely seek out a guy whose comfortable calling plays in the offensive system already in place…I think that was as big of a reason aby in why they kept TK this year.

The best way I can explain it is maybe Jack has replaced Korn Ferry as the search firm and instead Jack is now providing an acceptable list of candidates who can be interviewed for head coach. Have you heard if the Texans have hired Korn Ferry for their head coach search like they always have? I haven't. This is news the Texans have always announced before, and they have not this go around. You got to applaud the savings of $750K.

The fake pastor makes $2+mil/year. Not sure there are any savings there...

I don't know if they're interviewing in person, but if it was online, you call that conversation an interview and you can check your Rooney rule box. But if in person, yeah, I'm with you.
If reports are correct, they are going to be able to check the Rooney Rule box at least three times (Flores, Ward, Mayo) so I'm inclined to believe the Flores interview was really for HC.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We don't know what the interview looked or sounded like, but especially in corporate culture the charade is often done as protections.

I had a promotion once where I was specifically asked to apply for a job where the company put in the announcement a qualification that only I had at the location I worked. Two other people applied and we all went through the process of an interview with the whole place knowing that it was my promotion.

My last thought would be Flores has multiple options, you can't just buddy talk i.e. you have to sell even a friend on the goodness of coming to the Texans.

Hasn’t been mentioned surprisingly but with Flores’ reported player favoritism and being called out by some players he sounds like another OB to me. I’d pass. besides he doesn’t sound like a 4-3 defense guy to me.

I'm with you on this one - this team is in a rebuild so an experienced HC would have the respect and confidence of the players as well. A HC who has been through one would be optimal.

Back