Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

How many siblings does Cal have, and why are they not calling for a sale of the franchise, but perhaps they are but of course they are powerless
if Janice is the sole owner which she probably is as the founders widow. I dunno maybe the team is really that important to Janice ?

$$$$$

You know what, I’m coming around to the idea. Lovie got Red Grossman to a Super Bowl, and got fired with a 10-6 record.

I hope his D can improve next year with a few more guys who fit his system and some rookies with a year under their belts.

I hope we can get the offense working which has been frustrating to watch for such a long time.

Lovie is a surprise but I’m onboard with it. I definitely didn’t want McCown. Of the other candidates I originally wanted Flores but it’s a no brainer to move on from him now. with The DW mess this team just doesn’t need to be around anymore lawsuit controversy nor do I like reading about his reported favoritism to certain players and I’m not sure he wasn’t putting some bug in DW’s ear last year even after he signed his extension. If Pep becomes OC and we see a good hire for DC we just might be in better shape than some think. I also wonder if Flores would have still filed the lawsuit if the Texans hired him earlier. That would be a huge mess now.

Wonder what Culley is thinkin? Probably pissed a bit. I know he was well compensated but still, my guess is he’s a bit perturbed
I've been encouraged by Caserios first Draft, limited as it was by the meager # of picks especially with none in the top two rounds, but his performance on selecting and hiring Culley's successor has certainly been disappointing.
I'm sure Culley is frustrated and disappointed but he did go from being a man of what was probably comfortable means to being a very wealthy man
which is no small thing.
I dunno wonder if he will coach again in the NFL ?

You know what, I’m coming around to the idea. Lovie got Red Grossman to a Super Bowl, and got fired with a 10-6 record.

I hope his D can improve next year with a few more guys who fit his system and some rookies with a year under their belts.

I hope we can get the offense working which has been frustrating to watch for such a long time.
If Lovie Smith was a DC on another team people would rightfully see he isn't a good candidate for HC. He wasn't even thought of to be interviewed by the other 7 or so teams who needed a HC.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I see a lot of negativity about this Lovie Smith appointment but seriously, how often does a (struggling) team get to bring in a two time SB winning HC?
We will also quickly see an identity for Texans - defense!
Edit! - Lovie went twice, but lost both times.

Last edited:
He deserves 1 more hire. Caserio had no way of knowing Culley wasgoing to go rogue on him and do things like wanting to keep Kelly. For that alone Culley needed to be fired.
But Kelly was forced onto Culley when THEY retained him. THATS part of why no other candidate would take the job. They wouldn’t allow themselves to essentially be neutered at the door the way Culley did. That idiotic move should have gotten those clowns fired too.

And he got there on the strength of a top 5 defense. He's not going to have that here. And that was 16 years ago. And he never won another playoff game since that NFC Title game that got them to the SB, only getting one more playoff appearance in 6 years after that SB. I'm not going to hold what he did at Illinois against him because you can't fairly compare that to the NFL, but he was 8-24 in his last NFL HC gig.

With how the Texans botched this whole thing up, I don't have a problem with Lovie. I just think the Texans are in a position with regards to their roster where it's not going to matter much. It's why I was surprise they let Culley go. Lovie isn't the answer to the Texans woes, and he isn't the future. Yeah we can hope to see development of certain players and all that, but this team isn't competing for anything for another couple of years at the very least, and we'll be going through another fun HC search sometime in that timeframe as well. Maybe Caserio gets an extension if he botches it a 3rd time?

And he got there on the strength of a top 5 defense. He's not going to have that here. And that was 16 years ago. And he never won another playoff game since that NFC Title game that got them to the SB, only getting one more playoff appearance in 6 years after that SB. I'm not going to hold what he did at Illinois against him because you can't fairly compare that to the NFL, but he was 8-24 in his last NFL HC gig.

With how the Texans botched this whole thing up, I don't have a problem with Lovie. I just think the Texans are in a position with regards to their roster where it's not going to matter much. It's why I was surprise they let Culley go. Lovie isn't the answer to the Texans woes, and he isn't the future. Yeah we can hope to see development of certain players and all that, but this team isn't competing for anything for another couple of years at the very least, and we'll be going through another fun HC search sometime in that timeframe as well. Maybe Caserio gets an extension if he botches it a 3rd time?
I actually think there is something fishy about the timing of it all.

I’m thinking they were finding a way to justify McCown, they saw the feedback they were getting in combination with the Flores lawsuit alleging racism and the 2 went together and this was their solution.

I’d have preferred O’Connell, I’d have preferred McDaniels if we are going to be tied to NE’s O.

I hope Lovie works out though.

I see a lot of negativity about this Lovie Smith appointment but seriously, how often does a (struggling) team get to bring in a two time SB winning HC?
What 2 time SB winning HC would that be?
And the Texans defense wasn't very good with him being the DC. I don't know why you would think it gets better with him as HC, unless they bring in a wicked DC.

Obviously McDaniels father was AA, so I dont see what your issue is.

The 49ers are going to get a 3rd rd comp pick for this hire in the 2023 draft.

My question is, are the Texans going to get a 2023 comp pick for hiring Lovie? If so that could be used to move up in the draft this yr. (Not what I would do, just throwing out possibilities.

Per Adam Schefter no comp pick. In order to get a comp pick the coach or executive has to leave their current team that they were on and has to have been on that team at least two seasons.

And the Texans defense wasn't very good with him being the DC. I don't know why you would think it gets better with him as HC, unless they bring in a wicked DC.
Yea Lovie has been to two SBs but one as a DC for the Rams and they lost to NE, not sure where that "two time winner" is coming from

Last year the team hired a guy in Culley who was clearly not the best fit for HC on the roster.

This year it seemed they were gonna hire Mccown and Lovie again was going to be 2nd in command even though he was the best HC for this season on the roster.

Hopefully Mccown takes a job working on this staff as QB coach. Then works his way up conventionally and him/Pep are the offensive coaches Lovie was missing in his previous stops.

I actually think there is something fishy about the timing of it all.

I’m thinking they were finding a way to justify McCown, they saw the feedback they were getting in combination with the Flores lawsuit alleging racism and the 2 went together and this was their solution.

I’d have preferred O’Connell, I’d have preferred McDaniels if we are going to be tied to NE’s O.

I hope Lovie works out though.
Well of course. The whole damn thing is a clown show. 1st of all, of the 6 guys they interviewed, 2 had little to no qualifications, and one of those made the finalist list. Then they made the guy suing the league a finalist even after it was made public. Then they narrowed it down to 2, the minority suing for racial discrimination, and the white guy with no experience. Well, they couldn't hire the guy suing the league, and how good would it have looked to hire the no experience white guy over him? And not just Flores, but any of the minorities that put in the time, worked their way up, and had a ton more experience than McCown. Not just a slap in the face to them, but anybody, black, white, brown, whatever. Total bullshit to even have this dude in the conversation.

So, in desperation mode, like they so often are, and to save face, they call up Lovie, act like they've been talking to him the whole time, and they get 2 birds with 1 stone getting experience and a minority at the same time. Hell, if I was Lovie I might tell them to go **** themselves, but my bank account would probably talk me out of it.

Last edited:
You're right - Smith made it twice but lost both times.
Still, if he can get the Texans to a SB, he will be the most celebrated HC in this franchises brief history.

No matter who the DC ends up being, you can believe that Lovie will be calling the D.

For this year's D to be better than last year, the pass rush and backend personnel will have to have a significant upgrade.

You're right - Smith made it twice but lost both times.
Still, if he can get the Texans to a SB, he will be the most celebrated HC in this franchises brief history.
No doubt, but I ain't holding my breath.

No matter who the DC ends up being, you can believe that Lovie will be calling the D.

For this year's D to be better than last year, the pass rush and backend personnel will have to have a significant upgrade.

Absolutely. This team still lacks talent, and they may be in a spot where they can only really address it in the draft. Any free agents that come here are going to be like last year. 1 year guys trying to showcase themselves for someone the following year, or guys who wouldn't be on an NFL roster if not for the Texans. This could take a while.

Yea Lovie has been to two SBs but one as a DC for the Rams and they lost to NE, not sure where that "two time winner" is coming from
for me it’s big to keep the 4-3 defense. Also I wanted to see D at the HC position. Lovie just didn’t have the horses last year but he developed his rookie players, he preached for and coached the defense to about a threefold increase in takeaways and really with his roster and about zero help from the offense he was up against a tough challenge. When the offense played well his D looked better.

No doubt, but I ain't holding my breath.

Absolutely. This team still lacks talent, and they may be in a spot where they can only really address it in the draft. Any free agents that come here are going to be like last year. 1 year guys trying to showcase themselves for someone the following year, or guys who wouldn't be on an NFL roster if not for the Texans. This could take a while.

Depends on how the draft goes. And if slick Nick can gather more draft assets from *you know who*

for me it’s big to keep the 4-3 defense. Also I wanted to see D at the HC position. Lovie just didn’t have the horses last year but he developed his rookie players, he preached for and coached the defense to about a threefold increase in takeaways and really with his roster and about zero help from the offense he was up against a tough challenge. When the offense played well his D looked better.

Like Kubiak. Its nice to know one side of the ball has a clearly defined identity and we know what types of players will work for the system. Lets hope Pep and maybe Mccown can bring the same thing to the offense!

Edit! - Lovie went twice, but lost both times.
I know, right?
Everyone was pumped when JAX hired Peterson, a coach with a SB win under his belt. All the Sport Hacks made a big deal that they scored a SB winning coach! Seems like Lovie should reside in that same thin air, reputation wise.

OK, I'll be the one to say it: Defense wins championships !
Dang, I wish I could remember details, but a couple of days ago there was a discussion on 610 that the game has changed and recently the SB has been an offensive game. And they backed up their claim.

Back