Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

The more I think about it the more I believe my original theory of them firing Culley because Flores suddenly became an option makes sense. What threw everything off was A: Gannon interviewed really well so that gave them something else to consider and then of course B: Flores filing his lawsuit and naming the Texans firing of Culley as an example. If this is true its really ironic that them opening the way to hiring Flores might be the reason they can't hire Flores. Houston sports curse at its finest. I think they want McCown yes and it would have been somewhat ok last year when everyone knew it was a throw away year but now with year 2, full bags of draft picks, possible diamond in the rough at QB and going on the second HC Texans and Caserio in particular can't afford to swing for the fences on this one.

This is all theory and I could be looking back in a day, a week or a month and thinking it didn't age well but right here, right now its the only thing that makes sense.

This is all theory and I could be looking back in a day, a week or a month and thinking it didn't age well but right here, right now its th
I think how McCown is brought in will she’s some light on what they were really thinking. If he’s brought in high, especially if he is given the AHC title, then I’ll believe they seriously considered him as a HC candidate.

If he comes in as QB coach, then I’ll be confident they never thought of him as a HC candidate now.

just like the way they handled Mills. We know they drafted him when they did & thought it was a steal

Lovie isn't my first choice, but Lovie has proven in the right circumstance he can succeed. He needs to have a great OC and staff. His defenses and special teams were always great. His offenses sucked. Do they hire Lovie as HC and promote Pep? Is that strong enough to succeed? I don’t know but it's better than McCown lol.
Who do they get for DC?

I don’t think it’s so bizarre. They wanted McCown and were going to hire him until the Flores lawsuit. Alll hell breaks loose and they can’t hire him and don’t want to hire Flores…so they settle on something easy and someone that doesn’t threaten the power structure for NC and JE.
Exactly. This is just a sham to cover the original sham.

Please, college is more about recruiting than actualgood coaching. It’s why so many hot college coaches fail in the NFL where the difference between the best team and the worst team in very thin.

Give Lovie a team like Clemson and you would have seen different results. I’m more impressed how he took a Texans defense that had no one that anybody ad ever even heard of and actually made them fairly decent.

I get that you guys want to look past anything that takes away from this sham of a hire but if a .500 NFL coach and a guy who went 17-39 in college is your answer to this disaster of a franchise some of you guys will buy anything. But hey, it is your blind fandom that empowers these guys in the first place so congrats.

In the let's play, hire a coordinator game, Dolphins WIN! Jags may've hired the best head coach. An avalanche of negativity and a mountain of ridicule makes Texans scared to pull the trigger on McCown. In a panic move in the middle of a Sunday night Texans turn to an in-house asst coach they could've hired last year. It would have saved the McNair's $22MM if they had. Lovie like Culley is 65 and is all too happy to cash McNair's BIG check in order to be a pawn in the Caserio and Easterby micromanaged morality culture. Texans fans will come to miss Tim Kelly.

When Caserio was hired, I said at the time he would be another micromanager like Scott Pioli in KC and turn the Texans into another Gulag or Stalag. Which he has, based on ex-players comments. Sometimes I hate it when I am right. At the time when I made those comments, I said Caserio would be a worse GM than Scott Pioli. In the words of Mona Lisa Vito, I'm afraid this opinion too will turn out to be, "dead-on balls accurate". The FUBAR Warning remains in effect!

Last edited:
I get that you guys want to look past anything that takes away from this sham of a hire but if a .500 NFL coach and a guy who went 17-39 in college is your answer to this disaster of a franchise some of you guys will buy anything. But hey, it is your blind fandom that empowers these guys in the first place so congrats.

First of all you might want to double check who has said what. I've said all along I don't want Lovie as HC and that I believe DC is where he is best at. Second your point was how bad he did in college and I countered that college is about recruiting and that is why great college coaches fail in the NFL, we just saw it in Meyer. If you can't argue the point any more fine but when you just resort to attacking you prove the other person right and come across as a child.

In the let's play, hire a coordinator game, Dolphins WIN! Jags may've hired the best head coach. An avalanche of negativity and a mountain of ridicule makes Texans scared to pull the trigger on McCown. In a panic move in the middle of a Sunday night Texans turn to an in-house asst coach they could've hired last year. It would have saved the McNair's $22MM if they had. Lovie like Culley is 65 and is all too happy to cash McNair's BIG check in order to be a pawn in the Caserio and Easterby micromanaged morality culture. Texans fans will come to miss Tim Kelly.

When Caserio was hired, I said at the time he would be another micromanager like Scott Pioli and the turn the Texans into another Gulag or Stalag. Which he has, based on ex-players comments. Sometimes I hate it when I am right. At the time when I made those comments, I said Caserio would be a worse GM than Scott Pioli. In the words of Mona Lisa Vito, I'm afraid this opinion too will turn out to be, "dead-on balls accurate". The FUBAR Warning remains in effect!

Pretty sure you said that last year to.

This board cracks me up.

The Texans suck because they won't hire a top tier coach.

The Texans suck because no top tier coach will come here.

The Texans suck because they won't forge their own path.

The Texans suck because they aren't going down the proven path.

The Texans suck because they aren't telling everyone what they are doing.

The Texans suck because they are telling us everyone they are interviewing.

Its a never ending source of entertainment watching so many heads explode at the slightest little thing.

This board cracks me up.

Its a never ending source of entertainment watching so many heads explode at the slightest little thing.

"This board" is not a monolith.
Various members will have various combinations of the opinions you listed.
Not one person believes every item on the list.

As no contact with Flores after his lawsuit, and the fact that Lovie was not interviewed until last minute late last night, you can be sure that the lawsuit created the big shake up.
Interesting. Hiring Lovie would seem to weaken that lawsuit as well, as Hue Jackson already helped with that.

"This board" is not a monolith.
Various members will have various combinations of the opinions you listed.
Not one person believes every item on the list.

I am aware but just as everyone puts the "Koolaid Brigade" in one pot I'm just commenting on the board in general. And there are a few that do contradict themselves just to make sure they are against whatever the Texans are doing. Its really funny.

My sources have be quite accurate. But as I have previously posted, the situation following the filing of the lawsuit has been ridiculously "fluid," as the primary actors in the Texans FO have been vacillating day by day if not minute by minute ever since.
Yeah no way was Flores getting hired after that lawsuit. Mulugheta again costing his clients.

My sources have be quite accurate. But as I have previously posted, the situation following the filing of the lawsuit has been ridiculously "fluid," as the primary actors in the Texans FO have been vacillating day by day if not minute by minute ever since.
The head coach can't hire his staff. Can't implement his schemes. Has no control over the roster. How was it ever going to be someone other than McCown or Lovie?

Interesting. Hiring Lovie would seem to weaken that lawsuit as well, as Hue Jackson already helped with that.
On the surface. But it could be easily turned around as solely being a reactive move to Flores lawsuit..........to ameliorate the mess that has been created by the emphasis for so long on making McCown HC.

This board cracks me up.

The Texans suck in such a multitude of ways. Yet, you're dismayed by posts on a message board?

No one here started the fire. We're all just watching it burn.

4SVSV63XAAYRZPLDB7ZOMNMY7Q.gif

When Caserio was hired, I said at the time he would be another micromanager like Scott Pioli and the turn the Texans into another Gulag or Stalag. Which he has, based on ex-players comments. Sometimes I hate it when I am right. At the time when I made those comments, I said Caserio would be a worse GM than Scott Pioli. In the words of Mona Lisa Vito, I'm afraid this opinion too will turn out to be, "dead-on balls accurate". The FUBAR Warning remains in effect!

Bingo! Reread this folks. No other comment needed.

Chicago Bears’ Lovie Smith underscores his faith
By Art Stricklin, posted January 30, 2007 in

MIAMI (BP)–Lovie Smith had a limited amount of time during his Super Bowl XLI media session Monday, but the Chicago Bears head coach said he could spend hours talking about his star players and their efforts to get the team to their first Super Bowl berth in 21 years.

Smith also wanted to spend part of his allotted time talking about what was most important in his life, his faith in Jesus Christ.
“God is the center of my life. It controls all that I do. I hope I don’t have to spend my time telling my players I’m a Christian. I hope they see it in my life every day,” Smith said.

Since taking the helm of the Bears in 2004 — his first head coaching job in the NFL — he has led his team to back-to-back division titles and, now, to this year’s NFL championship game.

And he has done it in the same faith-based style of his close friend, mentor and opposing Super Bowl coach Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts.

“I could spend the rest of the day talking about Tony Dungy and what he means to me,” Smith told a ballroom full of media reps. “We have similar beliefs, and to see him go through the storms and see he’s the same person is truly encouraging.

“I’m happy we can to lead our teams to the Super Bowl. I’ve learned a lot from Tony Dungy.”

Smith grew up in a Christian home in the small east Texas town of Big Sandy, going to church regularly with his mother, his brothers and sisters.
“My mother always made sure we went to church and knew about the Lord. My faith has been with me all the time and I knew I needed God to be a part of my life,” he recounted.

Smith’s father battled alcoholism most of his life, which led his son never to drink, and his mom always emphasized to him the need for a clean mouth and a pure heart.

“Lovie always had a direct line to God,” she was quoted as saying in a recent New York Times profile of her son.
The result is a solid faith and values system which has served him well in the up and down world of coaching.

“I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t dance, so what is there to do to get in trouble?” he said to laughs during the media session. “When my family gets here later in the week, we’ll have dinner out together. That will be our big excitement.”

After starting out as a high school coach in his hometown at Big Sandy High School, he spent nearly two decades coaching in college before Dungy brought him to the NFL as a linebackers coach in 1996 at Tampa Bay.

The addition of Smith to a staff which included fellow Christian and current Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards proved to be a fulfilling spiritual combination.

“I’m so proud of Lovie to prove you can do things the right way in coaching without profanity,” Dungy said after watching his friend’s team defeat the New Orleans Saints in the NFC title game last week.

Smith said his lack of cursing in a sport often dominated by it is another way to showcase his faith without cramming it down anyone’s throat.
“I don’t have to tell you. I can show you,” Smith said. “Bring me the person that has ever heard a curse word from me. You won’t be able to find them.”

Sunday, on the Bears’ home team sideline at Super Bowl XLI, Smith’s calm demeanor as he guides his team will reflect something more important to him than the ultimate on-field victory.

“I believe that God has a plan for our lives,” he said, “and we have to try and fit into it.”

This is a desperation move with no forethought or purpose other than someone has to coach this dumpster fire. Casserio is a clueless disaster. He needs a one way ticket to splitsville.

as a highly skilled home chef, I have to plan my meals. What herbs and spices will bring out the flavors of this dish, what wine pairs with the salmon, what dessert is the perfect finish. Now for the shopping list, etc etc etc. there is a plan, foresight, a line of cohesive thinking, alignment through the courses, etc.

this would be like me saying **** it, my dinner party isnt going to plan, so I’ll just stop at McDonalds and serve everyone a happy meal and hope they like the included toy. And yet some find the toy attractive.

this is a garbage move by a garbage franchise with clueless ownership.

Absolutely agree. No argument from me.

But I will point out this garbage move is at the top of all the other garbage moves they were planning.

Texans luck is starting to turn.

Texans turned out to be one of the main beneficiaries of the Flores suit. How they got there is discouraging.

But I will take it over McCown!

Looking at Lovie’s Chicago tenure we got a head coach that took Rex Grossman to the Super Bowl just to get beat out by Brady and Dungy.

We Forrest Gump’d this situation, but like Forrest we got lucky in the end.

I’m down with Lovie Smith.

I am not against Smith as HC if he is hired. He certainly checks all the boxes for Nick and the preacher man. I am against the way that outcome would be determined.
I would prefer a younger coach with experience, such as Flores, but we all know that the lawsuit knocked both Flores and McCown from consideration (or should). Lovie is currently 63 but far from the oldest coach in the NFL:

CoachAgeCurrent TeamYears Active
Pete Carroll70Seahawks25 years
Bill Belichick69Patriots45 years
Bruce Arians69Buccaneers25 years
David Culley66Texans27 years
Mike Zimmer65Vikings22 years
Andy Reid63Chiefs20 years
Vic Fangio63Broncos33 years
Frank Reich60Colts15 years
Ron Rivera59Washington25 years
John Harbaugh59Ravens13 years

Besides, if Lovie is hired as HC, we definitely have GOD on our side.

Looks like they are just finalizing small details like how much of a contract buyout he’ll get if the team fires him before his contract runs out. And whether he gets to choose anyone on the staff… eve cn the waterboy.
My sources tell me the waterboy position hiring will be under the control of the new HC.............it is being written into the HC contract as we speak.

Personally, I think Josh McCown will be a good HC someday. However, you can't go from no experience (even though it can be argued that he's been a coach on most teams that he's played for) to HC. If they hire Lovie, make Josh the OC and see how he performs there. If he does well, then hopefully he's still around when Lovie gets fired in a couple of years. Sorry, but Lovie isn't the answer. He's a dinosaur in today's NFL. We saw that here in Tampa Bay and unless he's totally re-invented himself I don't see that changing.

Personally, I think Josh McCown will be a good HC someday. However, you can't go from no experience (even though it can be argued that he's been a coach on most teams that he's played for) to HC. If they hire Lovie, make Josh the OC and see how he performs there. If he does well, then hopefully he's still around when Lovie gets fired in a couple of years. Sorry, but Lovie isn't the answer. He's a dinosaur in today's NFL. We saw that here in Tampa Bay and unless he's totally re-invented himself I don't see that changing.
We will see what Pep can do at OC. Still, more experience than what Culley had and it was evident he was lost.

Back