Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Have the Texans met your expectations for this season?

How have the Texans performed relative to your expectations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Simple question.

I know the loss against the Browns was disappointing and I started thinking about the possibility of missing the playoffs. That would suck considering how the season has gone. Then I got to thinking about the job Demeco and the coaching staff have done. I'm not thrilled with some of it, but ultimately I can't be too mad with how the season has gone so far. From a win/loss perspective I think they are about what I expected but not how I expected it to go. I think the defense just flat out needs more talent. Offense too, although stylistically the offense isn't what I expected.

...But overall I am pleased and think this thing is headed in the right direction.

I would say overall they have exceeded expectations at this point. I'm probably basing this on having low expectations due to the previous 2 years of horror. But if I'm being objective and looking at each season independently, this team should have been expected to win 8 to 9 games this year. Going into this season there was way more talent vs the previous 2, the unknown was if it would translate to wins (success + luck).

I started this season saying this team cannot tackle & they cannot block. Very fundamental football if you ask me. I haven't watched a game yet & thought, "These guys know how to tackle." or "These guys know how to block."

So from a fundamental standpoint, no.

From a win loss standpoint, yes, way over exceeded my expectations. What they do well, they do well & we're going to need to add many more playmakers if this team is going to continue to succeed & not improve on the fundamentals.

I started this season saying this team cannot tackle & they cannot block. Very fundamental football if you ask me. I haven't watched a game yet & thought, "These guys know how to tackle." or "These guys know how to block."

So from a fundamental standpoint, no.

From a win loss standpoint, yes, way over exceeded my expectations. What they do well, they do well & we're going to need to add many more playmakers if this team is going to continue to succeed & not improve on the fundamentals.

Just ran across this an hour or two ago...Mtkl = missed tackles

Almost half of the league is at 7-8 or 8-7 so losing the next two could hand the Cardinals a nice draft pick.

I don't consider them to be a playoff team because of too many holes to start with and now the injuries are piling up.

This coaching staff is making rookie mistakes and bad planning/adjustments late in the year.

And I am absolutely ecstatic over how this season has turned out. Not because of this year, although being able to get to a potential 10 wins is amazing. I am ecstatic over what this season means for the team moving forward.

Win column overwhelmingly exceeded my expectation. I could spend time listing the positives and the negatives but all here already know them. Beginning with the last year of Bill O'Brien, I was in a very negative state of mind including thinking about stop watching Houston. Bill, Jack, Cal, Lovie, David Culley, Deshaun and what I perceived Nick to be were disgusting. Typing this brings back memories of that so I will stop.

My expectations then changed from simply wanting to see player maturity and progression to thinking we could have a decent season to a winning season and then to playoffs. I keep imagining what this team could be if we had fewer injuries and if certain people like cj, Nico, Tank and Noah had remained healthy all year. What would the offensive line look like if all of our projected starters had remained healthy?
Like TK players need to improve on the basics. But man what a season it has been!

I am actually at the 9% mark of "not met". I had high expectations of 9 wins and significant improvement.

Weak Schedule.

We saw BoB do it his first year as well.

And I had a huge grade for Stroud as a QB.

Doesn't mean I am smarter than anyone, but maybe just a dumbass homer who got lucky that the Koolaid had just the right amount of mix for once.

Still think expectations can be surpassed this year.

You can do anything with an elite QB and we have one.

The Jets game has been erased from my head. Stroud was concussed from the Denver game and was missing his top 3 targets in a horrible weather game.

Stroud gets back 2/3 of his top 3 and it looks like Noah Brown is getting healthy. Still room to do some damage this season if we can get some defensive guys back.

While the bad performances are frustrating to watch, there have been some nice highs. This team has been a pleasant surprise and though there are many holes to fill, it has exceeded expectations. I can’t wait to see what the team does next season!

I was very high on CJ, but given the rookie QB thing, rookie coaches…bunches of new pieces…my expectations were somewhat tempered. I had 5-7 wins with a bullseye on 6.

So yes…exceeded expectations. But like the kid that you think can’t jump further than 2ft…when he jumps 3 feet…you adjust your goals and expectations and start thinking the kid can jump 4 ft with some work. That’s where we are now…sort of. The injury situation has me thinking the 2 ft mark was correct all along, and we are playing back to the mean…which in my analogy is really around 3 ft. Which means average…so so, fair, ok…whatever meh word you prefer.

I’ve got them 1-1 in these last two and falling a bit short. I’ll be disappointed but also heartened looking at the big picture. The arrow is pointing up for a change,Nick has some dough to spend in FA, and we will get a handful of draft choices as well. I just hope he doesn’t trade picks to trade up for middling talents which is his habit.

bottom line, I see them as a true division contender next year. If the chips fall the right way…and for a change injuries aren’t a huge issue among top tier guys…they could contend for all the marbles.

I was very high on CJ, but given the rookie QB thing, rookie coaches…bunches of new pieces…my expectations were somewhat tempered. I had 5-7 wins with a bullseye on 6.

So yes…exceeded expectations. But like the kid that you think can’t jump further than 2ft…when he jumps 3 feet…you adjust your goals and expectations and start thinking the kid can jump 4 ft with some work. That’s where we are now…sort of. The injury situation has me thinking the 2 ft mark was correct all along, and we are playing back to the mean…which in my analogy is really around 3 ft. Which means average…so so, fair, ok…whatever meh word you prefer.

I’ve got them 1-1 in these last two and falling a bit short. I’ll be disappointed but also heartened looking at the big picture. The arrow is pointing up for a change,Nick has some dough to spend in FA, and we will get a handful of draft choices as well. I just hope he doesn’t trade picks to trade up for middling talents which is his habit.

bottom line, I see them as a true division contender next year. If the chips fall the right way…and for a change injuries aren’t a huge issue among top tier guys…they could contend for all the marbles.

I think if they can get Greenard and Anderson back for the Colts they have a real shot at the playoffs.

Looking like 9 wins though.

I had them down for 5-7 wins, so they've exceeded my expectations. If they make the playoffs this year, fine, but I do expect them to make playoff noise for years to come. As long as CJ is upright and standing that is.

I had them down for 5-7 wins, so they've exceeded my expectations. If they make the playoffs this year, fine, but I do expect them to make playoff noise for years to come. As long as CJ is upright and standing that is.
Do or do not?

Exceeded expectations by a longshot.

I never expected Stroud to play anywhere near that level as a rookie.

I didn't give them 5 wins going into the season and they have a shot at winning double that.

The defense also played better than expected for most of the season.
I couldn’t agree more. I just hope Kareem Jackson has something left in the tank now that we picked him up. Our secondary might be able to seal the final 2 wins we need to take the AFC South crown. The next two weeks are going to be interesting.

Yes. I never thought the team was as bad as they were and I have seen so much improvement with the culture, coaching etc.

If anything, I'm disappointed because of all the dumb injuries and "rookie coaching" type stuff limiting our season's ceiling.

This team could be damn ******* good right now.

I was hopeful they would have a 500+ season.
I am thinking if they had CJ, Tank and WA available the whole season, they likely go 10-7 and possibly 11-6.
So I am pretty happy with the team.
We definitely need some depth at key positions and an injection of speed.
The arrow is pointing directly up - with a bullet.

Last edited:
Yes. I never thought the team was as bad as they were and I have seen so much improvement with the culture, coaching etc.

If anything, I'm disappointed because of all the dumb injuries and "rookie coaching" type stuff limiting our season's ceiling.

This team could be damn ******* good right now.
It would be naive to think this entire team would not require time to develop.

We definitely need some depth at key positions and and injection of speed
I was thinking about this the other night when Brandin Cooks scored that TD. He'd be our WR1 if he were here.

We shouldn't be looking for depth, at least I hope Nick isn't looking for depth.

When? Early in the game? Late? Which tackle I assume you meant instead of huddle
Denver Broncos vs. Houston Texans | 2023 Week 13 Game Highlights (youtube.com)

At the 9:25 mark in the link I gave, we've just run a QB Sneak at the 8:05 mark in the 4th quarter. The next scene shows Mason and Tunsil helping Stroud up, but Stroud is laying on the ground and his head looks limp at that point. They help him to his feet and he's a little wobbly when he gets up.

Now, CnD has said that his quad was hurting him at that point and it was making his leg shaky. But personally, I wasn't even that worried about the shakiness of his legs after he got up, I was more concerned with how limp his body was after that play.

He was pulled from the game at that point and went back to the blue tent, but came right back out and went back into the game.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like he could have been concussed at that point, and with how he was off in the Jets game, it made me wonder if he had been concussed in the Broncos' game and then got re-injured in the Jet game when they took him out, but CnD disagrees and I can't really argue with him on medical matters.

I was thinking about this the other night when Brandin Cooks scored that TD. He'd be our WR1 if he were here.

We shouldn't be looking for depth, at least I hope Nick isn't looking for depth.
I said somewhere in another thread I reckon a couple of studs on both sides of the ball is doable in the off-season and would make this team a real problem for other teams.

At the 9:25 mark in the link I gave, we've just run a QB Sneak at the 8:05 mark in the 4th quarter. The next scene shows Mason and Tunsil helping Stroud up, but Stroud is laying on the ground and his head looks limp at that point. They help him to his feet and he's a little wobbly when he gets up.

Now, CnD has said that his quad was hurting him at that point and it was making his leg shaky. But personally, I wasn't even that worried about the shakiness of his legs after he got up, I was more concerned with how limp his body was after that play.

He was pulled from the game at that point and went back to the blue tent, but came right back out and went back into the game.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like he could have been concussed at that point, and with how he was off in the Jets game, it made me wonder if he had been concussed in the Broncos' game and then got re-injured in the Jet game when they took him out, but CnD disagrees and I can't really argue with him on medical matters.
I remember thinking he came out of the blue tent a lot more energized than I expected regardless of what had him on the ground.

With respect for CnD who has himself given me and my own family tons of medical advice over the years… You -absolutely- can and -should- argue with your doctors!!! This is -essential- to success in taking care of -your own- health. Don’t you -ever- be afraid to get a third or even a fourth opinion. Make them sweat it out when it comes to diagnosis’s.

Simple question.

I know the loss against the Browns was disappointing and I started thinking about the possibility of missing the playoffs. That would suck considering how the season has gone. Then I got to thinking about the job Demeco and the coaching staff have done. I'm not thrilled with some of it, but ultimately I can't be too mad with how the season has gone so far. From a win/loss perspective I think they are about what I expected but not how I expected it to go. I think the defense just flat out needs more talent. Offense too, although stylistically the offense isn't what I expected.

...But overall I am pleased and think this thing is headed in the right direction.
If you would've told me Stroud would've been this good I would've expected 10 wins, I didn't expect Stroud to this good, so I think they met expectations.

Gotta give Stroud more weapons and find a Flacco type backup QB.

Simple question.

Browns have a championship roster especially on the defense front 7. I thought 7 wins was their ceiling this year. Not only that, they have the best qb in division. Every game they play, they will have qb who takes a backseat to nobody.

They’ve exceeded my pre-season expectations but then there was a point sometime in mid-November when they looked like they should go on to win 11 or 12 games and due to the continued rash of injuries they have fallen short of where they should have been. These last 2 games really will skew the way the record appears and I don’t view the Titans as a gimme in our current state and the Colts game is going to be a really tough ask.

Almost half of the league is at 7-8 or 8-7 so losing the next two could hand the Cardinals a nice draft pick.

I don't consider them to be a playoff team because of too many holes to start with and now the injuries are piling up.

This coaching staff is making rookie mistakes and bad planning/adjustments late in the year.

And I am absolutely ecstatic over how this season has turned out. Not because of this year, although being able to get to a potential 10 wins is amazing. I am ecstatic over what this season means for the team moving forward.
Losing Stroud/WA/Tank/Cashman etc... has far more to do with them losing than coaching mistakes IMHO. Frankly it's amazing that they've gone 1-1 in the games without these guys.

They’ve exceeded my pre-season expectations but then there was a point sometime in mid-November when they looked like they should go on to win 11 or 12 games and due to the continued rash of injuries they have fallen short of where they should have been. These last 2 games really will skew the way the record appears and I don’t view the Titans as a gimme in our current state and the Colts game is going to be a really tough ask.
If they get Stroud/WA back and performing at their usual levels then I expect them to win these last 2 games. Picking up KJ is huge.

@NitroGSXR What is about this post that you don't like?
Sorry. Probably should have used a different emoticon. I honestly don’t know the right one to click. It’s not the post -you- made. It’s the context that it came from. It seems that a couple folks were saying that since CnD said so… it shouldn’t be disputed. I responded above to another person expounding on that generic topic regarding “doctors”, not CnD himself. Hope I clarified.

They have exceeded expectations in a major way. When we make comments like, “ they lost a game they should’ve won “. To be in the playoffs conversation and have a good shot to win your division. Especially after the last four years. Yes ladies and gentlemen we have exceeded all expectations

They have exceeded expectations in a major way. When we make comments like, “ they lost a game they should’ve won “. To be in the playoffs conversation and have a good shot to win your division. Especially after the last four years. Yes ladies and gentlemen we have exceeded all expectations
If you have lowered expectations then this post would be true.

With this schedule and Stroud playing as well as he has 10 wins should be expected.

Sorry. Probably should have used a different emoticon. I honestly don’t know the right one to click. It’s not the post -you- made. It’s the context that it came from. It seems that a couple folks were saying that since CnD said so… it shouldn’t be disputed. I responded above to another person expounding on that generic topic regarding “doctors”, not CnD himself. Hope I clarified.
Yeah, I certainly don't have the knowledge to question his calling on an athletes injury. I understand your point about questioning doctors, but when it's his calling based on a video of an injury that occurred to a professional athlete, I don't know that anyone on this board has the expertise to dispute his judgement.

Yeah, I certainly don't have the knowledge to question his calling on an athletes injury. I understand your point about questioning doctors, but when it's his calling based on a video of an injury that occurred to a professional athlete, I don't know that anyone on this board has the expertise to dispute his judgement.

I certainly wasn’t questioning his judgement in any way whatsoever… but… I’m not going to be closed off to hearing other possibilities or scenarios. I think even CnD would encourage one to hear other opinions too. Again… my post isn’t about CnD but we do have another doctor on the boards who has given great insight also. I don’t know if he’s still around though.

I hold nobody in higher regard than CnD when it comes to our Houston Texans and medical advice even within my own family… so yeah… no doubt he knows better than any of us. I’m still gonna question him every time. Not his “judgement” And anyone else too. All in the pursuit of knowledge.

:)

Simply put.....they've exceeded my expectations. They could finish the season with 9-10 wins which would be a testament to the "whole" organization based on the absurd amount of injuries the team dealt with this season. This team is finally on the right trajectory, in every facet of the game needed to become a solid contender annually.

Last edited:
Back