Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hard knocks baby!!!

since Clowney has been out a season this would accelerate engagement back...
Accelerating return from injury/surgery has been the hallmark of too many lost quality player minutes due to Texans medical staff missteps... e.g. Derek Newton, 2013. You don't want to do that with MF surgery, but I expect the pressure to increase for the HBO cameras.

I remember Watt picking up the Dolphins snap count from HK.
Yep. Kinda like when Hoyer pats the ball right before he cuts loose. There will either be little competitive advantages lost... or I guess the coaching staff rolls out a bunch of vanilla systems that they'll have to change when the cameras leave, possibly putting some rookies behind the eight ball...?

People, the letter 'k' comes first in 'knocks'.
:lol: My bad, hooked on phonics.
smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

Hey, it's not like O'Brien is in any kind of time squeeze... already in the office by 5:00AM... with a special needs child... during training camp... with a QB competition... there's plenty of time for him to come up with a bunch of dummy signals and argue over HBO raw footage edits... :headhurts:

Hey, it's not like O'Brien is in any kind of time squeeze... already in the office by 5:00AM... with a special needs child... during training camp... with a QB competition... there's plenty of time for him to come up with a bunch of dummy signals and argue over HBO raw footage edits... :headhurts:
but hey....
BcSQVXq.gif

Accelerating return from injury/surgery has been the hallmark of too many lost quality player minutes due to Texans medical staff missteps... e.g. Derek Newton, 2013. You don't want to do that with MF surgery, but I expect the pressure to increase for the HBO cameras.

Every situation is unique. Accelerating rehab would probably be more accurate statement as to my response. He needs to put the work in & show he has grit & desire to dominate next level. That is what I expect, nothing less or he is a bust in my book!

Gotta say i'm not happy about this. Add this to other concerns and it might be just one more Texans Season in the toilet. Oh well, it's not like some of us are getting older or anything like that. For those of you who love Hard Knocks, I'm sorry I feel this way, but it is just one more thing that this team does not ned right now

If the Texans are on Hard Knocks, I don't see it as an excuse to not win. The previous teams on the show that deserved to be in the playoffs, made the playoffs. The handwringing over this is overblown.

I agree with Tania that Bill O'Brien would be a focal point, given his history in the Penn State situation, his special needs child, and his personality, but there are better stories than most of the others she listed. Alfred Blue's history is compelling, and he's been working hard in the off-season with Adrian Peterson's trainer in an effort to take a big step forward. And I expect the competition between Mallett and Hoyer to get a lot of coverage, much to the disdain of O'Brien.

Everyone tends to jump straight to the stars that'll be featured on HK when in reality the show tends to revolve around the bubble guys who will either unfortunately fall short or triumphantly make the squad. So while J.J. will inevitably make his presence felt, I'm thinking Lynden Trail, Keith Mumphery, and Kenny Hilliard could be included heavily. Maybe a vetern/youngster story could be featured as well, like Wilfork/Nix, Cushing/McKinney, JJo/KJ/KJo, or DHop/Strong.

Everyone tends to jump straight to the stars that'll be featured on HK when in reality the show tends to revolve around the bubble guys who will either unfortunately fall short or triumphantly make the squad. So while J.J. will inevitably make his presence felt, I'm thinking Lynden Trail, Keith Mumphery, and Kenny Hilliard could be included heavily. Maybe a vetern/youngster story could be featured as well, like Wilfork/Nix, Cushing/McKinney, JJo/KJ/KJo, or DHop/Strong.

Yup. If it happens I bet on Nix being a big story along with Jones moving to C and Mumphery trying to find an NFL position.

Every situation is unique. Accelerating rehab would probably be more accurate statement as to my response. He needs to put the work in & show he has grit & desire to dominate next level. That is what I expect, nothing less or he is a bust in my book!
There is desire and there is stupidity. Accelerating rehab beyond what the program calls for which is probably already accelerated is the latter. Re-injury due to impatience is a greater threat than patience, with laziness a distant second.

Hard work is GREAT, but SMART, hard work at the right time is better.

We just don't think our team is mature enough to go through hardnocks & being able to do the work they need to do to be the team we hope they can be.

Bob McNair: Billy, we... Rick and I, we want to be on HBO Hard Knocks.

Bill O'Brien: What? You've got to be kidding?

Bob McNair: Nope. Wanted it for years, but Gary was afraid...

Rick Smith: Gary didn't want people to see how much of a players coach he was.

Bill O'Brien: I f****** hate the idea. My vote is no!

Bob McNair: Now Billy, Rick and I...

Bill O'Brien: Do you understand how much more this puts on my plate? Like I have enough time to do what I need to get done as it is...?

Rick Smith: We feel very strongly about this, Bill.

Bob McNair: It may be my, errr our last chance if we're going to be a playoffs team.

Bill O'Brien: So what you're telling me is I'm outvoted?

Bob McNair: Well we didn't want to make this a one way street, but...

Rick Smith: Why don't we call this a negotiated exchange. We get Hard Knocks, and you get something you want?

Bill O'Brien: Anything?

Rick Smith: Any thing.

Bill O'Brien: Hmmm...Okay, if I have to endure Hard Knocks I want...

image.jpg1_zps5y5of1tv.jpg

We just don't think our team is mature enough to go through hardnocks & being able to do the work they need to do to be the team we hope they can be.

Didn't seem to disrupt the '09, '13 Bengals or the '10 Jets. I'm confidant we're just as, if not, a more mature ballclub than them.

There's no upside. The best you can argue is it isn't always a distraction.

Never said nor implied there was an upside. Just that it's not the impending doom a lot of folks make it out to be. I'd rather us not have it for all the obvious reasons, but I don't think the season should be shuttered simply because of it.

Never said nor implied there was an upside. Just that it's not the impending doom a lot of folks make it out to be. I'd rather us not have it for all the obvious reasons, but I don't think the season should be shuddered simply because of it.

Never do anything without an upside.

This season is 100% on Mallett. He's either going to be a break out star and we are toe to toe with Indy for the division or we are mired in QB mediocrity hoping to ride Foster and a D to 8-8.

Never do anything without an upside.

This season is 100% on Mallett. He's either going to be a break out star and we are toe to toe with Indy for the division or we are mired in QB mediocrity hoping to ride Foster and a D to 8-8.

To be fair, McNair clearly sees an upside. One that is completely irrespective of football, but one nonetheless.

I believe McNair backs OB completely on football related matters. I'm inclined to think McNair is perfectly capable of pulling rank on a non x's and o's call like this one.

I'm not making a capability observation. Obviously McNair can pull what he wants. But so far his position has exactly tracked his HC's. If he's on board now, my bet is it is as a result of OB wanting it for whatever reason.

So you and the mouse in your pocket think we're less mature than those teams, ok. Agree to disagree there.

Me & all of us who are against it because we think it's too much of a distraction. No need to agree/disagree. Some of us think they aren't mature enough. Some of us think they are.

I agree, it's not an issue to a play off team. I don't think we're a play off team, not without a little luck on our side.

I'm not making a capability observation. Obviously McNair can pull what he wants. But so far his position has exactly tracked his HC's. If he's on board now, my bet is it is as a result of OB wanting it for whatever reason.

You may be right. Maybe OB wants to portray something to the rest of league. At which case he does see an upside, albeit one we as fans will have to disagree with until proven otherwise.

But until we see it play out I'm simply going on the fact that this is so far and away from OB's ongoing m.o. and that of an owner trying to raise a profile.

Obviously McNair can pull what he wants. But so far his position has exactly tracked his HC's. If he's on board now, my bet is it is as a result of OB wanting it for whatever reason.

Don't think so. O'Brien's position was stated pretty clearly a few days ago by someone who works with him. As you've noted, zero upside.

McNair made this decision. Multiple local media have said this has long been his desire.

Me & all of us who are against it because we think it's too much of a distraction. No need to agree/disagree. Some of us think they aren't mature enough. Some of us think they are.

I agree, it's not an issue to a play off team. I don't think we're a play off team, not without a little luck on our side.

I was just saying we'll have to agree to disagree on the maturity thing. I think we're at least as mature as those teams and can weather it just fine.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter anymore. All this rain will wash away the stadium. If you see an old bearded guy building a really big boat, you should sneak aboard while there's still time.

Then what does it matter anyways?

It doesn't matter anymore. All this rain will wash away the stadium. If you see an old bearded guy building a really big boat, you should sneak aboard while there's still time.

I swear, I leave the country and you guys just let everything wash away in torrential rains. I can't leave y'all alone for a freaking second.

WTF!?!
I thought the deal was it wouldn't start raining until the boat was completed?
:)

Then what does it matter anyways?

What do you mean?

Without HardKNocks, we have an opportunity to focus on the game, make it to the play offs & who knows what can happen then.

With HardKnocks, I think there will be too many distractions & a lot of the things we need to be focused on before the season won't be addressed until the season starts. We may end up digging ourselves a hole too big to dig our way out of.

As far as what does it matter if we agree, or disagree, or agree to disagree.... it just doesn't matter. We come here to share our opinions. Usually that leads to discussion.

What do you mean?

Without HardKNocks, we have an opportunity to focus on the game, make it to the play offs & who knows what can happen then.

With HardKnocks, I think there will be too many distractions & a lot of the things we need to be focused on before the season won't be addressed until the season starts. We may end up digging ourselves a hole too big to dig our way out of.

As far as what does it matter if we agree, or disagree, or agree to disagree.... it just doesn't matter. We come here to share our opinions. Usually that leads to discussion.

No I meant if you don't think we're a playoff team then what does it matter?

No I meant if you don't think we're a playoff team then what does it matter?

Even though I don't believe we are a play off team, I think our schedule is favorable to winning a lot of games. I wouldn't be surprised if we win 10 or 11 games this year, but that wouldn't have me believing we're a "play off" team, or as good as the Packers if they make it in on a 9-7 record, or the Patriots if they dig themselves a three game hole before Brady can play. Or the Broncos if they only win 10 games or less.

You are what your record says you are... I don't believe that. You are what your record says you are against the schedule you have to play.

For instance, I don't think Atlanta & New Orleans are as bad as their records last season. They just had some tough teams on their schedule & it just didn't break their way.

Back