Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hard knocks baby!!!

Sal Capaccio @SalSports

Re: ESPN Cleveland report that Bills are still a candidate for Hard Knox: NFL source told me Bills are firmly out, but keep an eye on Texans

But the Bills don't have our Bill, and I'm talking bout Billy and I don't think Billy is a "Hard Knocks" kinda guy ?
Mr. McNair and Rick Smith aren't opposed. I don't think O'Brien will have a choice.

I don't like the idea of further burdening our coaches with working around HN edits. I'd pass this year with the promise to do HN in 2016. But I don't own the team.

I really don't want this. I just don't. But if it happens, and people post stuff on youtube and here I suppose I see some of it anyway. I sure as hell am not going to pay money to watch a bunch of over paid athletics clown around in front of a camera.

Mr. McNair and Rick Smith aren't opposed. I don't think O'Brien will have a choice.

I don't like the idea of further burdening our coaches with working around HN edits. I'd pass this year with the promise to do HN in 2016. But I don't own the team.
Yea that's what I'm talking about. I say lets just concentrate on getting into the playoffs this year and not have any distractions like this ?
I would think Billy would have a veto if he chose to exercise it ? What's the upside, where's the benefit to the team/organization ? As a very serious Texans fan I'd certainly enjoy it. I'd probaIly watch each episode several times, but I want what's best for the team. period. I don't see any pluses for the team here ?

Do it and get it over with.
This is where I am too. Since this is going to be forced upon every team not in the playoffs, let's do it now and then get on the exempt list by making the playoffs every year.

tv-cameras.jpg

Is this really Hard Knocks? The stands sure do look full and those don't look like practice unis.

Could be a pre-season game. The ONE episode of Hard Knocks I've ever seen is when the Falcons were playing the Texans in pre-season.

068b212ed39f1a8e738772d724b86250.623x343x336.gif

I remember Ted Johnson on 610 saying back in March if the Texans got on the show Mike Vrabel would be this years Bryan Cox. The funny as hell d line coach from the Falcons last year

I'm ambivalent about it. As a fan, part of me would want to check it out, but also have concerns of how it impacts a crucial part of preparations for a new season..

There's still time for the 'tell the league to go eff themselves while hoping they select the dumpster fire called Redskins followed by the aforementioned making the playoffs every year' plan.

Which probably won't happen and I'll end up greedily watching every single episode.

Shouldn't that be HK? :kitten:

Anything that helps put some spotlight on the Texans is a good thing. The NFL doesn't consider us much of a market draw, so this may be one of the few chances for folks (outside of Houston Metro) to see the team.

Is this really Hard Knocks? The stands sure do look full and those don't look like practice unis.

I am going to be totally selfish here want want us on hard knocks.

You guys can go to a game or go watch OTA or pre season games.

Me...... I get a few snippets on web or read Bleacher Report. :(

If we are on HK it will be the first time since I started watching in early 80's I get to see something real/1st hand about my Houston.

I know you will all hate it and I'll probably get negative rep for this but for me it's a dream come true.

Sorry

Who really wants all the cameras and people in their face while trying to learn a new offense or defense. Stupid show and I will not pay to watch. They should cancel it an no team - in all honesty - wants to be on it.

I'd like them to be on it for my own selfish reasons. Other than that, I see no benefit of having a television crew follow them through camp. I'd also like to see where Clowney's head and heart is behind the screen's that O'brien puts up to the media.

I am going to be totally selfish here want want us on hard knocks.

You guys can go to a game or go watch OTA or pre season games.

Me...... I get a few snippets on web or read Bleacher Report. :(

If we are on HK it will be the first time since I started watching in early 80's I get to see something real/1st hand about my Houston.

I know you will all hate it and I'll probably get negative rep for this but for me it's a dream come true.

Sorry
Given your distant locale, I can forgive you.
...just
this
once...

:foottap:

I don't want us on there. It's not that big a deal but I'd rather not have random idiots chiming in on everything involving the Texans. Bad enough with some of the Texans fans around. Unnecessary microscope to be under.

I can see O'Brien using the distraction as a teaching tool to imprint his team philosophy into players. Four of his five rules at Penn State would be applicable.

1. Prioritize Academics and Community Involvement.

2. Manage Expectations

3. Don't Believe or Fuel the Hype

4. Speak for Yourself

5. Ignore the Noise

I've heard him emphasize #5. You can see how it has stuck with some former players:

"...Brady encouraged Manziel to ‘ignore the noise’ which is a popular phrase in Foxboro with Patriot players blocking out what’s being said and written about them both good and bad”

"Ignore the noise." It would be O'Brien's mantra of the pre-season if Hard Knocks showed up.

Hard Knocks Before & After -

Baltimore - 12-4 Won Super Bowl ---> 10-6 Lost Divisional Round
Dallas - 5-11 ---> 5-11
Kansas City - 9-7 Lost Wild Card Round ---> 4-12
Dallas - 13-3 Lost Divisional Round ---> 9-7
Cincinnati - 4-11-1 ---> 10-6 Lost Wild Card Round
New York J - 9-7 Lost AFC Champ. Game ---> 11-5 Lost AFC Champ. Game
Miami - 6-10 ---> 7-9
Cincinnati - 10-6 Lost Wild Card Round ---> 11-5 Lost Wild Card Round
Atlanta - 4-12 ---> 6-10

Total - 72-71-1 ---> 73-71

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still don't think having cameras at every other turn is very conducive for a professional preparatory environment, but this does ease a hair of concern. It seems perhaps teams have learned from the first few seasons how to 'ignore the noise' a bit better.

Who really wants all the cameras and people in their face while trying to learn a new offense or defense. Stupid show and I will not pay to watch. They should cancel it an no team - in all honesty - wants to be on it.

I agree with you, it's a stupid show that no team wants to be on, but the owners are the ones who want the show as part of their marketing scheme. I don't want the Texans to be on the show either but since every team has to eventually bite the bullet and make their appearance, then we should do it and get it over with. I don't think that any team with realistic Super Bowl asperations wants to be on the show due to all the destractions, but I don't think the Texans are a realistic Super Bowl contender in 2015 so we might as well do HN and get it over with.

Source: Redskins are HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’ backup plan'
UPDATE
Saturday 23 May, 2015

Conflicting reports have emerged over the past 24hrs since an ESPNCleveland.com report suggested that the NFL had indeed granted the Browns request to be exempt from HBO’s Hard Knocks for 2015, and that the Texans, Redskins, and Bills were the three remaining on the shortlist.

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim today suggested that a team source had indicated that the Redskins believe they will not be selected. However, a few hours after Keim’s report, NFL.com senior analyst (and former Dallas Cowboys VP of personnel) Gil Brandt tweeted out the opposite.

Following these conflicting reports, Redskins Capital Connection sought a follow up with our original source for the below story.

Our source has this morning told RCC that although Washington remains HBO’s favored option, it appears that the Houston Texans have “acquiesced to pressure” (direct quote) and are going to announce that they will volunteer to appear.

It is unclear who the pressure for the Texans to volunteer was coming from, as our source would not clarify. It is possible that the pressure was coming from the NFL, or it is equally possible that pressure came from Texans owner Bob McNair, eager to drum up support going into a season when his team does not have a quarterback.

For now, our source says that if for whatever reason the Texans change their mind and do not volunteer, it will still be the Redskins whom are selected.

Stay tuned.

Read the original story from May 13 2015 below:

http://redskinscapitalconnection.com/source-redskins-are-hbos-hard-knocks-backup-plan/

Chris Mortenson made it sound like McNair has volunteered the Texans on ESPN's Dari and Mel show today.
If McNair wanted to volunteer the Texans, he could just step up and raise his figurative hand; then that should be that. Is it that we've already volunteered but HBO would rather have the Redskins?

HBO wants the Browns, then Redskins. Browns don't want HK(too much focus on Manziel). Redskins don't want HK(nickname/mascot controversy). HBO doesn't want to force a team, thinking non-cooperation will ruin it. McNair has wanted HK for years.

Last edited:
Hard Knocks Before & After -

Baltimore - 12-4 Won Super Bowl ---> 10-6 Lost Divisional Round
Dallas - 5-11 ---> 5-11
Kansas City - 9-7 Lost Wild Card Round ---> 4-12
Dallas - 13-3 Lost Divisional Round ---> 9-7
Cincinnati - 4-11-1 ---> 10-6 Lost Wild Card Round
New York J - 9-7 Lost AFC Champ. Game ---> 11-5 Lost AFC Champ. Game
Miami - 6-10 ---> 7-9
Cincinnati - 10-6 Lost Wild Card Round ---> 11-5 Lost Wild Card Round
Atlanta - 4-12 ---> 6-10

Total - 72-71-1 ---> 73-71

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still don't think having cameras at every other turn is very conducive for a professional preparatory environment, but this does ease a hair of concern. It seems perhaps teams have learned from the first few seasons how to 'ignore the noise' a bit better.

This has eased my concerns for the most part. I love the show and have watched it every year, but my reservation regarding the Texans, like everybody else's, has been that it would be a distraction. Either way, looking forward to it if it's really the Texans this year.

Ryan Griffin: O’Brien Would Not Like Being On Hard Knocks
Although Rick Smith and Bob McNair may have been fine with the show in the past their recent feelings are not noted on the potential of HBO invading joined MaD Radio Friday with Mike Meltzer and Seth Payne and he knows head coach Bill O’Brien isn’t a fan of the show possibly heading to Houston.

“I know he hates it,” Griffin said.

He went on to claim the show is a “competitive disadvantage” saying other people would watch the show figuring out what is going on with the Texans.

He went on to say he doesn’t want to see the program involve the Texans either.

I do not want to be on Hard Knocks,” he said. Griffin went on to joke that he would need to shave to be looking good for the camera.

Griffin said if the Texans are the selection by HBO they would deal with it in a business-like manner.

“If it does come to us we’re going to handle it like the professionals we are.”

He went on to claim the show is a “competitive disadvantage” saying other people would watch the show figuring out what is going on with the Texans.

That's the primary problem, which is why I've always doubted that the show is good for the league overall.

Example: Clowney's rehab will be a narrative of interest, and other teams will have a better idea if he's even a threat when he returns.

Ryan Griffin: O’Brien Would Not Like Being On Hard Knocks
Although Rick Smith and Bob McNair may have been fine with the show in the past their recent feelings are not noted on the potential of HBO invading joined MaD Radio Friday with Mike Meltzer and Seth Payne and he knows head coach Bill O’Brien isn’t a fan of the show possibly heading to Houston.

“I know he hates it,” Griffin said.

O'Brien hates disruptions and media distractions.
Hard Knocks would be both.

That's the primary problem, which is why I've always doubted that the show is good for the league overall.

Example: Clowney's rehab will be a narrative of interest, and other teams will have a better idea if he's even a threat when he returns.

If we end up on Hard Knocks, OB is going to have everyone who's healthy limping around like they're about to have an amputation, and everyone who's about to have an amputation, running around full-steam (even if it takes CGI and masterful editing.) OB will find some way to throw people off.

This reminds me of the people who put bells on their cats' collars to make it harder for the cats to hunt local birds, and then found out that by making it harder on the cats, they became better, more skilled hunters and they killed even more birds.

OB will find a way to make it work for us instead of against us.

OTOH, I always like watching Hard Knocks and getting to know some of the players better.

If we end up on Hard Knocks, OB is going to have everyone who's healthy limping around like they're about to have an amputation, and everyone who's about to have an amputation, running around full-steam (even if it takes CGI and masterful editing.) OB will find some way to throw people off.

Yeah I'm sure McNair would love that....lol.

"There's definitely things teams will pick up" watching Texans Hard Knocks.

Seth Payne talking about how you can't ever be yourself with cameras around, "You've gotta watch everything you say... you can't even pick your nose."

Example: Clowney's rehab will be a narrative of interest...
This puts Clowney in a no win situation. They'll rush him back too soon for the HK cameras and wreck him for good or they'll paint a story of him not trying hard enough because he doesn't return well ahead of schedule.

Five Texans who could be 'Hard Knocks' stars and aren't J.J. Watt
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

"Hard Knocks" isn't a show embraced by many teams in the ultra-secretive world of the NFL, but it can make for some very compelling television.

Every team is eligible for the show, but many have the option to say "no" based on a variety of factors. Last year the Texans had the option to say no as they fit two of the criteria for saying no. They had a new head coach and a playoff appearance in one of the prior two seasons. This year, though, they have no such shield.

I've been told the chances the Texans wind up on the show are very strong...

Last edited:

This reminds me of the people who put bells on their cats' collars to make it harder for the cats to hunt local birds, and then found out that by making it harder on the cats, they became better, more skilled hunters and they killed even more birds.

OB will find a way to make it work for us instead of against us.

OTOH, I always like watching Hard Knocks and getting to know some of the players better.
bxDuL45.jpg

This puts Clowney in a no win situation. They'll rush him back too soon for the HN cameras and wreck him for good or they'll paint a story of him not trying hard enough because he doesn't return well ahead of schedule.

Also could be best medicine possible, since Clowney has been out a season this would accelerate engagement back into active role on his team. Wouldn't we all love to see him rise back from proverbial ashes into the power & promise projected when Texans selected him #1 overall.

Back