Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Grade

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm going to be generous & give them a C+

I'm fine with the Stingley pick. I don't think any other team would have taken him at 3. But that's ok. Nick knows what we know, still he decided DSting is his guy. Sure he would have liked to have traded down to "improve" the value. But there weren't any takers... I guess.

Nick "hinted" at this a couple of days ago. So I'm sure it's no accident.

Still, reality is Stingley has issues. Hard C.

Kenyon Green. This pick alone will make a lot of Texans fans happy. He appears to be more than capable to do the job he was drafted for. His versatility will provide flexibility, but hopefully he can stay at guard.

Still I was shocked he was drafted before 20. I was surprised he was drafted ahead of Zion & Linderbaum.

But if he's the Texans guy, he's the Texans guy. I would have liked to have seen another trade down, into the 20s. But I do prefer they get their guy & not get caught being too cute.

Hard C

I do like the value Nick got for trading down two spots.

Hard B

I’ll give them a C.
If Stingley recovers from his injury and becomes a star I’ll be thrilled, but I preferred Sauce over Stingley. I have concerns over his production.

I’m not a fan of the Green pick. I’m glad we were able to trade down because I think NC will convert those to more day 2 picks, but ultimately I thought Green was a late day 1/early day 2.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Kenyon Green. .

Still I was shocked he was drafted before 20. .

But if he's the Texans guy, he's the Texans guy. I would have liked to have seen another trade down, into the 20s
Nick just said they had the opportunity to trade into the 20s, they decided not to.

I'm dropping my KG grade to a D+

Maybe they trade to 23 & someone takes Green at 21. I'm fine with that because Linderbaum is still on the board. Not to mention the guy taken at 21. I can't imagine Castereo grades Green that much higher than the other players that were there at 23 or whatever.

If so, that's another reason for the poor grade.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Yep, agree.
If Stingley's injuries are behind him and he turns out to be a perennial pro bowler, this first round will be a B+
To each his own but if DS is a perennial pro bowler it’s got to be an A all day. If we get Patrick Peterson out of DS then NC nailed it. I have no doubt Green will be a solid mean tough OG so if both those pan out then it’s an A from me all day. Right now B. I wanted Neal and Hamilton But I’m not unhappy. It’s all a crapshoot.

Jayded

Practice Squad
C- bordering on D. Both picks were overpays and at 3 I really dislike taking a gamble. Stingley is, at best, a gamble and definition of #3 shouldn’t be “gamble” even if he pans out. Hearing trade down was an option and similar graded players or even Green could have been there makes this a no bueno round for me.

Who did well? The Jets killed it and did the exact opposite of us in getting value at each pick.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Nick just said they had the opportunity to trade into the 20s, they decided not to.

Maybe they trade to 23 & someone takes Green at 21. I'm fine with that because Linderbaum is still on the board. Not to mention the guy taken at 21. I can't imagine Castereo grades Green that much higher than the other players that were there at 23 or whatever.

Posters are always talking out of both sides of their mouths. “That’s a reach, there’s great value later” so which is it? (not specifically you TK) So no I’m glad we didn’t trade back in. We need players and lots of them. More picks, more players, better odds in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc. If there is so much value later then we’re in a REALLY good position with the picks we have. We all know that after day one that is where the real work is done.

I like that the Texans rolled the dice and went for greatness with Stingley. He has that kind of talent and his athleticism looks fully back. Being able to practice against (and lock up) the likes of Justin Jefferson and Ja'marr Chase is impressive to me. Sauce would seem to have less risk, but Stingley's upside is real and applaud them. So, I give them an A for that pick.

Looking at where other interior linemen were drafted, I don't think Green would have been available much later. Green will upgrade their running game straight away and if they want to evaluate Mills, this will help. They were able to get some draft capital to possibly get back into the 2nd, or third round, to boot. This was a more conservative pick, but I see the logic. I give the pick a B.

Draft grades are pretty dumb, but I could not resist.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So no I’m glad we didn’t trade back in. We need players and lots of them. More picks, more players, better odds in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc.
Funny you talked about speaking out of both sides of our mouths (no offense taken, no offense intended).

But if you trade down & get the player you wanted, you get more picks to get more players

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I like that the Texans rolled the dice and went for greatness with Stingley. He has that kind of talent and his athleticism looks fully back. Being able to practice against (and lock up) the likes of Justin Jefferson and Ja'marr Chase is impressive to me. Sauce would seem to have less risk, but Stingley's upside is real and applaud them. So, I give them an A for that pick.

Looking at where other interior linemen were drafted, I don't think Green would have been available much later. Green will upgrade their running game straight away and if they want to evaluate Mills, this will help. They were able to get some draft capital to possibly get back into the 2nd, or third round, to boot. This was a more conservative pick, but I see the logic. I give the pick a B.

Draft grades are pretty dumb, but I could not resist.
Exactly, not one player has stepped on the field. Who knows what will occur, we don’t right now. Sure if we drafted a TE and a punter in the first round that’s a F

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly, not one player has stepped on the field. Who knows what will occur, we don’t right now. Sure if we drafted a TE and a punter in the first round that’s a F
To me it's not about how the player turns out. Coaching & a lot of other things will factor in to what that player is going to be.

Titans traded away a really good WR for a WR that might be vary good. That's not a good move. Picking up an extra 3rd helps.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Funny you talked about speaking out of both sides of our mouths (no offense taken, no offense intended).

But if you trade down & get the player you wanted, you get more picks to get more players
What if you dont get the player you wanted after trading down?

Green was my highest rated OL by a good bit. I was much higher on Green than Johnson. I see Green as a 10 yr starter, so I dont thik it's an overpay.

As far as a grade goes I will give an Inc. Tell me how Stingley's foot holds up and I can give an opinion.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To me it's not about how the player turns out. Coaching & a lot of other things will factor in to what that player is going to be.

Titans traded away a really good WR for a WR that might be vary good. That's not a good move. Picking up an extra 3rd helps.
Disagree, how the player turns out is all that matters.

Saving 100 mil on an often injured WR wasn't a bad move.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
C- bordering on D. Both picks were overpays and at 3 I really dislike taking a gamble. Stingley is, at best, a gamble and definition of #3 shouldn’t be “gamble” even if he pans out. Hearing trade down was an option and similar graded players or even Green could have been there makes this a no bueno round for me.

Who did well? The Jets killed it and did the exact opposite of us in getting value at each pick.
Disagree on the overpay idea - if you think a guy is the best guy for your team at the time, you take him.
Green is probably the best pure guard in the draft.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

AJB has an injury history and was going to get paid, business decision, I get it

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Depends on who was offering and what they were offering. An opportunity to drop doesn’t mean it was a good deal. I’m guessing it was Dallas because there were a lot of reports that they wanted to move into the top 15 and who they took at 24 was a bit of a head scratcher.

If so there is a good chance Ravens don’t trade with Bills and take Linderbaum at 23 and Pats don’t trade with Chiefs and take Green at 21 add to that Zion is already gone by this point and suddenly we’re screaming about why didn’t Texans stand firm at 15 and get some line help.

Of course all this is theory.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’m going with an incomplete for now, until I see what they do with the picks they got for moving back. If they use some of those to get another 2nd or 3rd, the grade will get a boost.

Individually though, disappointed with the Stingley pick. Injury aside, his tape hasn’t been all that the last couple of years and everyone seems to be ignoring that and going with what he did 3 freaking seasons ago. That’s a long time ago.

I’m good with the Green pick, especially with the extra picks they got with it. The Texans keep saying they’re going to run the ball, well, Green should be able to help with that.

Based on who I wanted and who we got, D.

but that’s just feelings because I wasn’t considering either player in those spots. That’s all these grades are right now anyway.

I went back and looked at past drafts and how abysmal most of them are. And I don’t just mean the Texans, I mean all of them. Draft grades truly mean squat.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
We are really going to use this one (or "pne") as the grade thread, huh?

I think the Texans get a B+.

Stingley has all the traits to be the best corner taken in the draft, and one of the best in the league overall. Provided he stays healthy, I don't see how Stingley doesn't become at least an average number 1 corner. Now... does he stay healthy? We don't have access to the medical records. I'm going to hope that the FO did their due diligence and everything with that foot checks out. I'll give it an "A".

The trade down, while I think we got good value, hurt me. Hamilton is the best player in the draft, and he was there for the taking. Did it make a ton of sense to draft another DB there? Probably not. I get the trade down, and, like I said, I think we did well in terms of value. But man... it hurts to have Hamilton fall into our laps and then pass on him.

As for Green... I like Green as a player. I just liked him more at the end of the first/top of the second than at 15, and I think that Johnson is (and will continue to be) a better player. So while I think we got a good one/long-term starter, I don't think the Texans got particularly good value there. I'll give it a "B".

Dejaview

All Pro

Of course you didnt know at the time Linderbaum would still be on the board nor did you mention that NC specifically said he was concerned with the five players that would come off the board before he would pick at 20. im betting Green will be a pillar for years and is exactly what the Texans want/need to beat the man in front of them.

Dakota

Ticketbooth Attendant
Grade: A

Picking a guy like Stingley checks two major boxes: it fixes one of many weak spots on the defense and the team as a whole, and it sets the tone for the defensive culture Lovie has in mind for this rebuild period, and does it at a premium position. He might be the only positional standout in a draft that’s full of good players but no genuine superstars, and he’s the best player in this draft. Sick of seeing the Sauce arguments, the two aren’t even close as far as pure talent goes.

Green is just a beast, a mauler. He’s an instant plug in and fits the Texans mold as a versatile asset up front. Nick got quite a haul for moving down a couple spots, love to see the finesse from your GM.

If you look objectively at what NC has done since he’s been here, it’s been moments of football moves that just make sense. And at this point in our franchise’s history, that’s all we can ask for.

banned1976

sleeper mode
One of the picks the Texans received for Watson, the 13th overall was used to obtain even more draft capital for the Texans by trading back to 15th. I love that aspect of the pick - turn it into more picks = A. Whereas the Texans can certainly use a guard to help that running game and solidify the offensive line, the bigger need was at DL and edge. The Texans were terrible at stopping the run last year and getting to the quarterback. There were players available at 15 that could have helped big time in one, or maybe both of those areas. I like Kenyon Green, he was a reach at 15 and didn't address a bigger need = B-. Overall grade of B.

You have to go back to 2019 to find good tape on Stingley. I guess Caserio did leak that the Texans were going to draft Stingley at #3 (perhaps a media strategy to prime the fanbase), or maybe Amy Palcic wasn't the mole in the organization after all. Whatever the case, the Texans took an unnecessary risk to draft Stingley at #3. High ceiling, very low floor. Addresses a big need but he has to stay healthy and significant foot injury red flag isn't something you want to play around with if you're drafting a corner in the top three. C-

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Disagree, how the player turns out is all that matters.
That will be a different grade all together. Nick will be judged today on this draft.

Just like “we” felt good about his draft right after the 2021 draft, we are going to feel one way or the other about this draft as soon as it’s over.

We feel one way or the other after every pick.

We base these feelings on what we know now. We can quantify that feeling with a grade.

You gave Green the highest OL grade in this draft. That won’t change even if he busts. That will be a totally different grade on totally different criteria

austins23

Hall of Fame
If I looked at it right, Nick ended up with 4 picks this year from unloading Towel Boy to the Browns. Good on him and thank you Cleveland.
I'm indifferent on the Stingley pick. Let's hope his foot holds up and he turns out to be awesome.
I like the Green pick. I've been saying all along the Line needs big nasties! He is one. Time for an edge rusher and a RB.

LikeMike

Veteran
I am a little torn. I am completely fine with swinging for the fences and taking a risk to get a superstar. But drafting a player at 3 with at least two question marks (worse production every year and injuries… plus some teams seemingly questioned his character) still doesn’t feel completely comfortable. Especially with the safer Sauce Gardner being right there.

I like the trade down - wen need every position and having more mid round picks is a big plus for me. I would have loved Hamilton though.

now I don’t mind drafting an OG at 15 - and I don’t mind drafting him a little earlier than anticipated. But there also seem to be some question marks around him and his pass blocking especially.

so yeah, I like the positions, I like the trade down and I hope that the players turn into the players, Casserio anticipated.

now let’s get some good dt/de soon…

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Of course you didnt know at the time Linderbaum would still be on the board nor did you mention that NC specifically said he was concerned with the five players that would come off the board before he would pick at 20. im betting Green will be a pillar for years and is exactly what the Texans want/need to beat the man in front of them.
Good points. I’m not denying any of that. I’ll also add I don’t know who those 5 players were. Of my 5 players, three were still there.

That’s how I would have made that decision. That’s how I’m grading Nick

banned1976

sleeper mode
I disagree with the overall strategy in round one. The tackle class is weak with two shining stars at the top of the draft. Cross was a little lower and then the talent goes way down. Tunsil is here for a finite time. Could have drafted Icky for guard and seamlessly slid him over when Tunsil leaves.

On the other hand, corner is a deep position in this draft.

Then, the Texans have three 3rds and three 4ths. They could have been aggressive like the Jets but took a passive role. If they really wanted to, I believe they could have drafted Icky 3 and moved back up into the top ten and picJed Stingley w/o losing much.

Hopefully a strategy starts to reveal itself.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I am at a C. I think the Stingley pick has too much risk. If it wasn’t for the draft capital from the Green pick the grade would be lower.

I not a doctor, but stayed at a holiday inn express enough times to know you don’t take high risks on players with lisfranc and torn achilles injuries.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If I looked at it right, Nick ended up with 4 picks this year from unloading Towel Boy to the Browns. Good on him and thank you Cleveland.
I'm indifferent on the Stingley pick. Let's hope his foot holds up and he turns out to be awesome.
I like the Green pick. I've been saying all along the Line needs big nasties! He is one. Time for an edge rusher and a RB.
And a WR.
And a decent TE.
We have plenty of chips left to play with here.
I am expecting plenty of movement from NC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That will be a different grade all together. Nick will be judged today on this draft.

Just like “we” felt good about his draft right after the 2021 draft, we are going to feel one way or the other about this draft as soon as it’s over.

We feel one way or the other after every pick.

We base these feelings on what we know now. We can quantify that feeling with a grade.

You gave Green the highest OL grade in this draft. That won’t change even if he busts. That will be a totally different grade on totally different criteria
I don't have a feeling about Stingleys foot.

If Green busts my feelings will change and frankly I think giving grades on draft night is dumb .

You can say whether you like a draft or not and even then you can't always say that. Case in point is last night's picks. I can't say right now if I like it or not.

Would I have picked Sauce over Stingley? Sure, but if Stingleys healthy I'm going to love this pick

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I disagree with the overall strategy in round one. The tackle class is weak with two shining stars at the top of the draft. Cross was a little lower and then the talent goes way down. Tunsil is here for a finite time. Could have drafted Icky for guard and seamlessly slid him over when Tunsil leaves.

On the other hand, corner is a deep position in this draft.

Then, the Texans have three 3rds and three 4ths. They could have been aggressive like the Jets but took a passive role. If they really wanted to, I believe they could have drafted Icky 3 and moved back up into the top ten and picJed Stingley w/o losing much.

Hopefully a strategy starts to reveal itself.
Maybe unlike what the media is selling you, Tunsil isn't hear for a finite time. Green will be every bit as good of an og as Icky, maybe even better. IMHO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is here for a finite time.
True. But if anything this shows the Texans aren't ready to make a decision on Tunsil right now.

I have no doubt in my mind they are prepared to make him the highest paid Tackle again next year

Texian

Hall of Fame

^^^DITTO THIS^^^

Pretty much the draft I expected from CASEREBY.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
One of the picks the Texans received for Watson, the 13th overall was used to obtain even more draft capital for the Texans by trading back to 15th. I love that aspect of the pick - turn it into more picks = A. Whereas the Texans can certainly use a guard to help that running game and solidify the offensive line, the bigger need was at DL and edge. The Texans were terrible at stopping the run last year and getting to the quarterback. There were players available at 15 that could have helped big time in one, or maybe both of those areas. I like Kenyon Green, he was a reach at 15 and didn't address a bigger need = B-. Overall grade of B.

You have to go back to 2019 to find good tape on Stingley. I guess Caserio did leak that the Texans were going to draft Stingley at #3 (perhaps a media strategy to prime the fanbase), or maybe Amy Palcic wasn't the mole in the organization after all. Whatever the case, the Texans took an unnecessary risk to draft Stingley at #3. High ceiling, very low floor. Addresses a big need but he has to stay healthy and significant foot injury red flag isn't something you want to play around with if you're drafting a corner in the top three. C-
Totally agree with the trading back for more picks comment. Almost to a man this board wanted to trade one of our firsts for more picks and now we have them - as well as a major piece for our Oline. He should be our answer to Colts Quentin Nelson.

Texian

Hall of Fame
What if you dont get the player you wanted after trading down?
If you had your draft board set up right you would've known that by trading back to #20 that one or more of the following would be available, Linderbaum, Jermaine Johnson, Tyler Smith, Karlaftis, the #1 DT in the draft Wyatt, Devon Lloyd and Cole Strange would've been available AND, AND you would've pick #52 in your pocket. So you didn't want to trade back into the first round because you wanted an overweight, slow, weak OG. OK then, it's a Caserby draft.