Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Grade

The bad news on Stingly is he has not played one down of football since 2019 which justifies using the #3 pick to draft him.
Tex, I heard a podcast where they were saying that Stingley started and played great as a freshman in college and that pretty much anyone who does that is essentially guaranteed a high draft slot regardless of the rest of their college career.

Stingley seems a natural talent who has stepped up a level without issue in the past. Let’s hope he is healthy.

We’ve seen the Carolina GM stating teams were clambering to trade up for him not far behind us, and he fits Lovie’s scheme while Sauce doesn’t.

Maybe we could say we wanted to build through the trenches and left some great DL/EDGE on the board, but you need good cornerback play and Stingley has a great chance to provide that.

How’s Gardner not a fit?

On the phone Lovie said he plans to have him follow the #1 receiver. That’s not the “Lovie system” I know.
Did he play any zone coverage in college? I read he only played man coverage, and would need to be taught to play zone from scratch.
Stingley seems comfortable playing zone.
I am not the expert here, I’ve just read around a little about our draft picks, so correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

Did he play any zone coverage in college? I read he only played man coverage, and would need to be taught to play zone from scratch.
Stingley seems comfortable playing zone.
I am not the expert here, I’ve just read around a little about our draft picks, so correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

Every team plays zone coverage some amount going back to high school.

They could be projecting Stingley’s ball skills to be superior to Gardner’s in the pros. There could have been something Stingley said/did in his top 30 visit that put him above Gardner.

The Texans clearly favored taking players from SEC schools this draft so perhaps that was the deciding factor?

I don’t think its a case of Gardner can’t do this or that. I think they just liked Stingley more for whatever reason. Unless someone asks them point blank and they decide to give an honest answer we’ll never know.

As per usual with NFL team draft boards. How many times do you hear a team go into specifics why they have a prospect higher than draft nerd consensus?

Well of course it'd be foolish for NFL teams to reveal their strategy, doesn't keep us from having a laugh at their bullshit attempts to evade questions though.

I like how Caserio handles the press. It's a pleasant change from past GM's

Caserio looks like a reject from The Living Dead make-up room and speaks fluent GM-Talk. Which means you speak a lot of words but don't actually say anything.

Despite that though, I think (so far at least) he's doing a pretty good job. So far. We'll have to wait and see though, but I certainly don't think he's made a lot of bad decisions like other Texans GMs I could name. LOL

First and foremost, Caserio exercised the problem child, handled it extremely well, that has to be accounted for in the overall draft grade.

They must know more about Stingley’s medical condition, in the building, than any of us do. Admit being turned off after reading Cloacknnndagger medical prognosis. Which should be some relief, that his recovery is accelerating and in fact historically significant. So I’m down even if I’m on the Sauce. And isn’t it refreshing just to have first rounder, little lone two?

I’m not going through every draft pick again, but know Keynon Green (first return from Watson trade) will be a great player for the Texans, probably the next 10 years!

Really I’m just over the moon this franchise is back on track. Minimum by any criteria is a B+, but will take the middle ground A-

It's called Buffalo Them with BS or Cliche the Hell out of them.

i used to have a good friend that said if you can’t dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit. And he was really good at the latter.

I am sure it’s total coincidence that he was in the midst of having a long-term affair with my wife, who eventually ended up leaving me, then divorcing me and turned right around and married him.

this is why he used to be a good friend.

i used to have a good friend that said if you can’t dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit. And he was really good at the latter.

I am sure it’s total coincidence that he was in the midst of having a long-term affair with my wife, who eventually ended up leaving me, then divorcing me and turned right around and married him.

this is why he used to be a good friend.

My heart goes out to you 🙏🏼

To put this into some perspective there were 8 teams with (2) 1st RD picks. (5) of those teams ranked higher than 8th. (2) of the teams ranked higher than 8th had only (1) 1st RD pick and (2) 2nd RD picks. There were only (2) teams with (2) 1st RD and (2) 2nd RD picks, the Texans and the Chiefs who ranked 3rd. By all accounts, since the Texans picked ahead of the Chiefs in both the 1st and 2nd RDs, the Texans should have been ranked #1, no less the #2.

The Jets ranked #2 with (3) 1st RD picks and followed that up with 4 more in the Top 117. The Baltimore Ravens ranked #1, not because they had (2) 1st RD picks, but because their GM, Eric DeCosta, recognized that the real meat and potatoes in this very deep draft were in the middle rounds. The Ravens were loaded with middle-round picks, making SIX 4th RD picks (by design), while the Texans were trading these picks away.

The real credit for this Texan's draft goes to DeShaun Watson for forcing the Texan's hand to trade him. And the real blame for the Texans not finishing in the Top 1, 2 or 3, and instead, falling all the way down to 8th goes to Casereby and Lovie Smith. So in essence this is really just another disappointing FUBAR.

Last edited:
To put this into some perspective there were 8 teams with (2) 1st RD picks. (5) of those teams ranked higher than 8th. (2) of the teams ranked higher than 8th had only (1) 1st RD pick and (2) 2nd RD picks. There were only (2) teams with (2) 1st RD and (2) 2nd RD picks, the Texans and the Chiefs who ranked 3rd. By all accounts, since the Texans picked ahead of the Chiefs in both the 1st and 2nd RDs, the Texans should have been ranked #1, no less the #2.

The Jets ranked #2 with (3) 1st RD picks and followed that up with 4 more in the Top 117. The Baltimore Ravens ranked #1, not because they had (2) 1st RD picks, but because their GM, Eric DeCosta, recognized that the real meat and potatoes in this very deep draft were in the middle rounds. The Ravens were loaded with middle-round picks, making SIX 4th RD picks (by design), while the Texans were trading these picks away.

The real credit for this Texan's draft goes to DeShaun Watson for forcing the Texan's hand to trade him. And the real blame for the Texans not finishing in the Top 1, 2 or 3, and instead, falling all the way down to 8th goes to Casereby and Lovie Smith. So in essence this is really just another disappointing FUBAR.

where did the Texans Draft rank in 2021, 2020 and 2019?

add that to your perspective

where did the Texans Draft rank in 2021, 2020 and 2019?

add that to your perspective
Some folks can handle perspective, some folks can not. :lol:

Every team plays zone coverage some amount going back to high school.

They could be projecting Stingley’s ball skills to be superior to Gardner’s in the pros. There could have been something Stingley said/did in his top 30 visit that put him above Gardner.

The Texans clearly favored taking players from SEC schools this draft so perhaps that was the deciding factor?

I don’t think its a case of Gardner can’t do this or that. I think they just liked Stingley more for whatever reason. Unless someone asks them point blank and they decide to give an honest answer we’ll never know.
that was my sense, Stingley said he does not believe in 50/50 balls, they are all his. I bet Lovie likes that kind of thinking and could have been the decider

Good find Thorn !
And better yet this guy ranks the Pats Draft as the worst of 2022 and consequently "awards" them a D.
I dunno maybe Belichick is missing his right -hand man afterall ?
PARR: After a respite in 2021, the 2022 Patriots class seems like it could be a return to the franchise’s struggles of the past decade when it comes to drafting players. This might come as a surprise given the team’s reputation, but New England hasn’t selected a first-team All-Pro on offense or defense since Rob Gronkowski in 2010, per NFL Research. Perhaps Strange will be the guy to snap that streak -- he certainly has the potential to do it -- but taking NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah’s No. 74 overall prospect with the 29th overall pick seems like a questionable move. If the Logan Mankins comparisons prove to be correct, critics like me will be roasted on Twitter for eternity. Bill Belichick’s trolling of draft media continued in Round 2 with the selection of Thornton, a blazing-fast receiver who was selected 50th overall after not making the cut in D.J.’s top 150 and drawing a Rounds 3-4 projection from NFL.com draft guru Lance Zierlein. Things seemed to be moving in a better direction for the Patriots when they picked a dynamic kick returner/corner in Jones and a highly productive RB from the FCS level in Strong, but then they mystified again by choosing Zappe when the far more highly touted Sam Howell was still available. Perhaps they unearthed a late-round gem in Harris, Roberts, Hines or Stueber, but the Patriots didn’t spend any of their 10 picks on one of their biggest areas of need, linebacker. Picking up a 2023 third-round pick in a Day 3 trade with the Panthers might ultimately prove to be a great swap for New England, and I realize Belichick’s goal in the draft is not to match up with how the media views prospects, but based on what I know now, the Patriots made a series of reaches that could come back to haunt them.

Here is the Texans NFL.Com 2021 pre season & post season draft grades

C
Houston Texans

Houston Texans

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: D
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: B+

Analysis: Houston gave up its first- and second-round picks as part of the Laremy Tunsil trade. The total price was too rich, despite his Pro Bowl performance. Mills was a good value in the third round as, at minimum, insurance at the quarterback position. Grabbing a receiver in the third round was a needed move, but trading away two middle-round picks (one this year and one in 2022) to land Collins was a bit much -- they needed those picks to rebuild their roster.
Post Season Class grade: B+
Round 3
Round 5
Round 6
Notable Free Agent Signee

FILICE: All things considered, 2021 had to be the most depressing year in the two-decade history of the Texans franchise. But amidst all the negative energy, the 2021 rookie class served as a beacon of hope in Houston. That's a major credit to the scouting staff, considering the Texans didn't even go on the clock until Round 3 and ultimately left the draft with a five-man class. Shoot, Jacksonville made five picks before Houston's first selection. And yet, the Texans unquestionably boast the AFC South's most productive rookie class.

Houston Texans
Deshaun Watson situation upon taking the job, and this was his first draft with major capital. He delivered.

His moves synced with what many personnel people were thinking leading into the draft, from second-rounder Jalen Pitre being an underrated safety to No. 3 overall pick Derek Stingley Jr.'s ceiling being immense at corner to guard Kenyon Green (the team's other first-rounder) quietly rising up boards for a while.

Before the draft, I asked coaches about their favorite Day 2 wideout. Several of them said John Metchie III, whom the Texans traded up to get at No. 44.

Good find Thorn !
And better yet this guy ranks the Pats Draft as the worst of 2022 and consequently "awards" them a D.
I dunno maybe Belichick is missing his right -hand man afterall ?
PARR: After a respite in 2021, the 2022 Patriots class seems like it could be a return to the franchise’s struggles of the past decade when it comes to drafting players. This might come as a surprise given the team’s reputation, but New England hasn’t selected a first-team All-Pro on offense or defense since Rob Gronkowski in 2010, per NFL Research. Perhaps Strange will be the guy to snap that streak -- he certainly has the potential to do it -- but taking NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah’s No. 74 overall prospect with the 29th overall pick seems like a questionable move. If the Logan Mankins comparisons prove to be correct, critics like me will be roasted on Twitter for eternity. Bill Belichick’s trolling of draft media continued in Round 2 with the selection of Thornton, a blazing-fast receiver who was selected 50th overall after not making the cut in D.J.’s top 150 and drawing a Rounds 3-4 projection from NFL.com draft guru Lance Zierlein. Things seemed to be moving in a better direction for the Patriots when they picked a dynamic kick returner/corner in Jones and a highly productive RB from the FCS level in Strong, but then they mystified again by choosing Zappe when the far more highly touted Sam Howell was still available. Perhaps they unearthed a late-round gem in Harris, Roberts, Hines or Stueber, but the Patriots didn’t spend any of their 10 picks on one of their biggest areas of need, linebacker. Picking up a 2023 third-round pick in a Day 3 trade with the Panthers might ultimately prove to be a great swap for New England, and I realize Belichick’s goal in the draft is not to match up with how the media views prospects, but based on what I know now, the Patriots made a series of reaches that could come back to haunt them.
I pointed out before the draft that Cole Strange had as good if not better Combine performance than the much-coveted #6 pick Ikem Ekwonu (many here wanted him at #3). I wouldn't be surprised to see Strange become the better player. He can also play Center.

Ickey Ekwonu
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench press
6 ft 4 in
(1.93 m)
310 lb
(141 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
10+1⁄4 in
(0.26 m)
4.93 s1.72 s2.88 s4.73 s7.82 s29.0 in
(0.74 m)
9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)
26 reps
VS

Cole Strange
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench press
6 ft 4+7⁄8 in
(1.95 m)
307 lb
(139 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
10+1⁄8 in
(0.26 m)
5.03 s1.71 s2.89 s4.50 s7.44 s28.0 in
(0.71 m)
10 ft 0 in
(3.05 m)
31 reps

Last edited:
I pointed out before the draft that Cole Strange had as good if not better Combine performance than the much-coveted #6 pick Ikem Ekwonu (many here wanted him at #3). I wouldn't be surprised to see Strange become the better player. He can also play Center.

Ickey Ekwonu
6 ft 4 in
(1.93 m)
310 lb
(141 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
10+1⁄4 in
(0.26 m)
4.93 s1.72 s2.88 s4.73 s7.82 s29.0 in
(0.74 m)
9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)
26 reps
VS

Cole Strange
6 ft 4+7⁄8 in
(1.95 m)
307 lb
(139 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
10+1⁄8 in
(0.26 m)
5.03 s1.71 s2.89 s4.50 s7.44 s28.0 in
(0.71 m)
10 ft 0 in
(3.05 m)
31 reps

Way to go, you've glitched the matrix. I liked your post.

Back