Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

GM Candidates

TexansFight

Veteran
So, they’re using the same firm that “found” Chin Hole for them, in 2014, to find their next GM? Jesus effin Christ man, smh.

I wouldn’t freak out about them retaining Korn Ferry. They do background intel and reach out to candidates without the team having to get their hands dirty. UT had retained them too to find their recent coaches. Wait maybe we should be worried

mws

Rookie
One great thing about OB having both jobs is by firing him by default it cleaned house. Something I don’t think the Texans have ever done.
Didn't they do it with Capers & Casserly? We started over with Kubiak & Smith. I may be wrong but I think Kubiak only kept one assistant from Capers regime.

Scooter

Funky
How about Adam Peters, the 49ers VP of Player Personnel

I think he would be a good choice
Time with the Patriots is almost a 'no' by default, but that is a pretty strong resume - real NFL experience working up through successful organizations.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Time with the Patriots is almost a 'no' by default, but that is a pretty strong resume - real NFL experience working up through successful organizations.
Yes but does easterby approve?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
How about Adam Peters, the 49ers VP of Player Personnel

I think he would be a good choice
I don’t know a ton about what his job duties included and how vital he was, but his history is impressive. Helped Pats during their early runs, helped Denver with their recent run, and now with SF helped them in their run. He has helped construct multiple Super Bowl Quality teams. Hasn’t been with one guy riding someone’s coat tail. He has worked with multiple personnel groups and coaches.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I don’t know a ton about what his job duties included and how vital he was, but his history is impressive. Helped Pats during their early runs, helped Denver with their recent run, and now with SF helped them in their run. He has helped construct multiple Super Bowl Quality teams. Hasn’t been with one guy riding someone’s coat tail. He has worked with multiple personnel groups and coaches.
Another thing to note, if RAC does well and Cal considers keeping him, Peters has experience working with RAC (early 2000s in NE)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another thing to note, if RAC does well and Cal considers keeping him, Peters has experience working with RAC (early 2000s in NE)
I'm sure we're going to try to keep Romeo in the building. But the man is 73 years old. He didn't want to be DC, that's why we promoted Vrabel, that's why we promoted Weaver.

He doesn't want to be the HC. We will bring in a new HC regar6how well/poor we do.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'm sure we're going to try to keep Romeo in the building. But the man is 73 years old. He didn't want to be DC, that's why we promoted Vrabel, that's why we promoted Weaver.

He doesn't want to be the HC. We will bring in a new HC regar6how well/poor we do.
Let me start by saying I hope we do bring in another HC (and RAC can be around to help lean on)

BUT with that said, being DC and HC are different. RAC would love once more shot running the show and he is old enough now to really lean heavily on OC and DC and not micro-manage. I think it could work if we got the right GM and coordinators.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I would add 2 more potential GM
I figured it would be nice to have some discussion on these things in one place. Here are a few candidates that I would like to see considered, please comment and post your own thoughts

1. Mike Borgonzi, Director of Player Personnel, KC. Mike has been mentored by some of the best evaluators in the business and has extensive knowledge of putting together a winning team. He has experience in systems that fit our offense and has enough connections to be able to put together a legit coaching staff. He would be a first time GM.

2. Elliot Wolf, consultant for NE. At first glance I do not love this. I do not think he has the track record of success that we should be looking for. I do not know as much about him, so please fill me in.

3. Ed Dobbs has a great resume. He was a key cog in the Seattle run and is helping the Colts solidly their team. Rumor has it he is a little gun shy at running his own team, but there is no denying his previous experience As a talent evaluator.

4. Nick Caserio. We all know this guy. I am not a fan of this route.

5. George Paton, Vikings Assistant GM. He has experience, good and bad. He has helped put together a talented Vikings team. He seems patient, looking for a good job offer.

6. John Dorsey (could hire him now, he is unemployed). He has a lot of experience, seems to put together talented teams wherever he goes, but never keeps a job long. Personality issue?

Please add more details and additional options
I would add 2 more candidates to this list:
7. Scott Pioli: NFL Executive of the Year five times and the NFL Executive of the Decade for 2000-10.

8. Thomas Dimitroff: 13 year GM for Atlanta. 2 time NFL Executive of the Year. Son of a coach who grew up with football.

Both of these guys are better than any GM the Texans have ever had.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Didn't they do it with Capers & Casserly? We started over with Kubiak & Smith. I may be wrong but I think Kubiak only kept one assistant from Capers regime.
It was kind of messed up when we fired Capers and Casserly. It wasn't a clean break. They fired Capers. Hired Dan Reeves as a consultant. Hired Kubiak. Had the draft. Fired Casserly. And then hired Smith.

Now, with that said, that was a good damned draft: Demeco Ryans, Owen Daniel, Eric Winston (and Charles Spencer, damn you Ron Dayne!), and Mario Williams.

We need to finally clean house. Hire a GM and have them hire a Head Coach.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So, they’re using the same firm that “found” Chin Hole for them, in 2014, to find their next GM? Jesus effin Christ man, smh.
That indicates how isolated this organization is from the NFL mainstream. McNair doesn't network. He doesn't know anything about any other team's front office. If he were searching for a VP of marketing, I guess a search firm like this would make sense. But, how are these people going to understand the nuances and histories of NFL manangement? Are they looking for a guy who came up thru the scouting department? The financial department? Analytics? How is an executive search firm supposed to understand what these guys know via football?

Ridiculous.

Texian

Hall of Fame
That indicates how isolated this organization is from the NFL mainstream. McNair doesn't network. He doesn't know anything about any other team's front office. If he were searching for a VP of marketing, I guess a search firm like this would make sense. But, how are these people going to understand the nuances and histories of NFL manangement? Are they looking for a guy who came up thru the scouting department? The financial department? Analytics? How is an executive search firm supposed to understand what these guys know via football?

Ridiculous.
Just to add to your McNair comments, Cal was 25% of the decision making on player personnel and yet he never attended the NFL Combine or any player pro days.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think Dimitroff is worth a look. Not totally sure the Falcons failings are due to him. Dimitroff was only around the Patriots cancer for a year or two.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Ridiculous.
Nailed it. McNair is in way over his head, so he's relying on the corporate tactics that his father taught him while leaning on Mr. Happy Thoughts for positive affirmation.

I'd trust Sean Jones and/or Peyton Manning before I'd ever trust a guy like Easterby to evaluate football minds.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This “no New England” motto around here is so stupid. New England had 20 years of dominance so they must have done something right and no front office wise that wasn’t just because because of BB and Brady. The world of football and the NFL in particular is very small so if you are going to start saying “I won’t hire so and so because they worked at or with so and so” then I am so happy none of us are making the decisions.

Do I want or think someone can come in and turn us into NE 2.0 No but by the same token I’m not going to say that working for the most successful team in football history is an automatic disqualification either. If they come in and say “I can make this team just like (insert NFL team here)” then yeah say thanks but no thanks however if they come and say “this is what I’ve learned through my career (including at NE) and this is how I would lead the team to a championship” then give them a listen and decide from there.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This “no New England” motto around here is so stupid. New England had 20 years of dominance so they must have done something right and no front office wise that wasn’t just because because of BB and Brady. The world of football and the NFL in particular is very small so if you are going to start saying “I won’t hire so and so because they worked at or with so and so” then I am so happy none of us are making the decisions.

Do I want or think someone can come in and turn us into NE 2.0 No but by the same token I’m not going to say that working for the most successful team in football history is an automatic disqualification either. If they come in and say “I can make this team just like (insert NFL team here)” then yeah say thanks but no thanks however if they come and say “this is what I’ve learned through my career (including at NE) and this is how I would lead the team to a championship” then give them a listen and decide from there.
20 years - two decades - so you should have plenty of examples of other franchises that have been successful with emulating the Patriots way.

I'm looking forward to your many examples. . .

:cricket:

FireBOB

Waterboy
20 years - two decades - so you should have plenty of examples of other franchises that have been successful with emulating the Patriots way.

I'd be a big fan of emulating the "Patriots way" if it was in the least bit reproducible. Getting monstrously fortunate with a sixth round pick is not a strategy you can build a franchise around.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

There is a difference between tying to be New England and hiring somebody that worked at New England. Even in the very post you quoted I said I don’t want someone to try and turn us into NE 2.0 but some on here are basically saying “This guy worked for the Patriots in any way, he shound never be hired by the Texans for anything”. Kind of reminds me of how many people didn’t want to even consider Derek Carr as our QB simply because his name was Carr.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Now THAT is an interesting question. I don't recall him ever being officially fired. He was granted a leave of absence, disappeared for a while and had to deal with his wife's death, and then re-emerged in January 2020 (iirc).

At one point, he was really tight with Cal, so it would not surprise me to see him return as an advisor (like Bob McNair did with Dan Reeves).
After his wife passed away he was tempted to go to another team. You can Google it. It was not here however. So, if Cal likes him enough and he is interested... he could be in the picture as the new/old GM

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
There is a difference between tying to be New England and hiring somebody that worked at New England. Even in the very post you quoted I said I don’t want someone to try and turn us into NE 2.0 but some on here are basically saying “This guy worked for the Patriots in any way, he shound never be hired by the Texans for anything”. Kind of reminds me of how many people didn’t want to even consider Derek Carr as our QB simply because his name was Carr.
The reason why the NE way is amazing but awful here is simple. Hoodie is in NE not here. He didn't get lucky with Brady, he knew what he had. Did he know how good he was...no. But, he was in the playoffs with Bledsoe at QB. And was doing pretty well with Brady not even around prior to drafting him and he is doing well now. Plus, he drafts starting players in every round minus a few.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I hope McNair talks to the Cowboys Will McClay. He's done a bang up job with the Cowboys draft over the years. And he's gone as far as he can in that organization.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Give me a guy like McCloughan or Wolf over McClay. The Cowboys drafts haven't been bad but they certainly aren't great under McClay's watch.

Have you watched the Cowboys defense lately. The Texans defense looks like the 85 Bears compared to the Cowboys defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The few things about O'Brien that did not sit well with me, the blow up with Brady on the sidelines, BOB temper proved to be a problem. Kraft and Belichick shipping him off to Penn St right after the incident. Penn St alumni were not sad to see BOB leave Penn St., in fact they welcomed it. O'Brien was never a head coach. Then like now, because of Houston's reputation, no self respecting winning head coach wants anything to do with a dysfunctional front office. Until the McNair problem is fixed it will more of the same in my opinion.
Been saying this since 2010.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Give me a guy like McCloughan or Wolf over McClay. The Cowboys drafts haven't been bad but they certainly aren't great under McClay's watch.

Have you watched the Cowboys defense lately. The Texans defense looks like the 85 Bears compared to the Cowboys defense.
Much as I hate the Cowgirls I'm not sure you can put that on McClay. Jerry Jones has a love of offenses and spending ungodly amounts of money on RBs. Plus a lot of reports I've heard say that McClay gets overruled by the Jones fairly often and rarely to the betterment of the team. Biggest thing I remember McClay building was that Oline that was so good it made Dak look like an all pro his first year after Romo went down. If McClay had a coach that could do more than just clap for the team he built I think that team could go far.

Now excuse me while I go throw up for praising anything having to do with the cowgirls.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree. I don't have a problem with hiring individual staff. That's the prudent thing to do.

It's the mass hiring of multiple people from one organization in an attempt to rebuild a shadow of a dynasty that just feels like a dog chasing its own tail.

JMO (obviously), but I'd really like to see the Texans forge their own destiny by making bold moves and building their own chemistry with different pieces. Maybe something like that is above Cal's pay grade and expertise. I get it. But if that's the case, I just can't ever expect greatness from Kirby Drive unless they happen to catch lightning in a bottle.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I agree. I don't have a problem with hiring individual staff. That's the prudent thing to do.

It's the mass hiring of multiple people from one organization in an attempt to rebuild a shadow of a dynasty that just feels like a dog chasing its own tail.

JMO (obviously), but I'd really like to see the Texans forge their own destiny by making bold moves and building their own chemistry with different pieces. Maybe something like that is above Cal's pay grade and expertise. I get it. But if that's the case, I just can't ever expect greatness from Kirby Drive unless they happen to catch lightning in a bottle.
Amen

I take some comfort in remembering that, while it may feel like longer, the Texans have only been around for 18 years. I think we as fans sometimes let the Oilers and the Texans legacies run together but the fact is the Texans didn't get anything from the Oilers. Not players, not coaches, not a front office, hell they didn't even get the same stadium. Bob McNair didn't really understand what he was getting into with an NFL team but lets be honest pretty much nobody with the money to buy a team would have any real idea what they were getting into and really for a team less than two decades old they are doing pretty good.

There are franchises much much older with comparatively less success and even the Pats weren't exactly setting the world on fire till BB told the Jets to go to hell and someone convinced him to hire a project player no one wanted in the 6th round. Cal is a young owner and I think there is still a part of him that sees it as his daddy's team but he has already made some bold moves. Firing Gaines out of the blue was a bold move, giving OB complete control so there were no excuses was a bold move, making a play for Caserio was a hold move and finally firing OB way before anyone thought he would was a bold move. I will grant you they are not moves we like or that worked out, except the last one, but they were still bold moves and showed a willingness to rock the boat that the old man didn't show.

Right now I'd say Cal is driving toward the light at the end of the tunnel he sees and whether that light is an exit or a train I don't yet know but I'm starting to enjoy the ride again.

mws

Rookie
but I'm starting to enjoy the ride again.
I know logically there are still many problems with the Texans but I thoroughly enjoyed the game last week & am looking forward to the game on Sunday. Even if we lose to the Titans it won't feel like we are stuck in the mud & just spinning our wheels. At least right now it seems like we are moving forward.

I am probably getting my hopes up just so the Texans can once again smash them back down but I intend to enjoy this feeling of optimism as long as it lasts.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Amen

I take some comfort in remembering that, while it may feel like longer, the Texans have only been around for 18 years. I think we as fans sometimes let the Oilers and the Texans legacies run together but the fact is the Texans didn't get anything from the Oilers. Not players, not coaches, not a front office, hell they didn't even get the same stadium. Bob McNair didn't really understand what he was getting into with an NFL team but lets be honest pretty much nobody with the money to buy a team would have any real idea what they were getting into and really for a team less than two decades old they are doing pretty good.

There are franchises much much older with comparatively less success and even the Pats weren't exactly setting the world on fire till BB told the Jets to go to hell and someone convinced him to hire a project player no one wanted in the 6th round. Cal is a young owner and I think there is still a part of him that sees it as his daddy's team but he has already made some bold moves. Firing Gaines out of the blue was a bold move, giving OB complete control so there were no excuses was a bold move, making a play for Caserio was a hold move and finally firing OB way before anyone thought he would was a bold move. I will grant you they are not moves we like or that worked out, except the last one, but they were still bold moves and showed a willingness to rock the boat that the old man didn't show.

Right now I'd say Cal is driving toward the light at the end of the tunnel he sees and whether that light is an exit or a train I don't yet know but I'm starting to enjoy the ride again.
Good deal, man. Enjoying our entertainment is always the fun, desirable option. :thumbup

Just be wary if Cal starts talking about being on the right track. Here's a picture from the last time Bob McNair mentioned that phrase:

TrainWreck.jpg

I do have to give Cal credit for firing Bob at 0-4. I honestly didn't think he had it in him. So I anxiously await further updates with regards to his HC and GM interviews and eventual hiring, regardless of what I personally think about the process.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

You know there's zero chance McCloughan is hired here. No one else is hiring him, so that should tell you everything you need to know. You're wasting keystrokes bringing him up. Has Wolf ever run a draft? He gets by on name recognition, as far as I can tell.

Nick Martin, Tyron Smith, Jaylin Smith, Dak Prescott, DeMarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones, Maliek Collins, Zeke Elliot, Leighton Vander Esch, Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb. I would put the recent Cowboys drafts up against any teams.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Even if we lose to the Titans it won't feel like we are stuck in the mud & just spinning our wheels.
If they steam roll us the way they did the Bills, if we can't score 30 points... I'm not going to be too happy.

"Something" was supposed to have happened. But if it's the same old same old... they changed the wrong "something."

Understand I don't see much difference between Tennessee's defense & Jacksonville's. Our offense should be able to build on what they accomplished last Sunday.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If they steam roll us the way they did the Bills, if we can't score 30 points... I'm not going to be too happy.

"Something" was supposed to have happened. But if it's the same old same old... they changed the wrong "something."

Understand I don't see much difference between Tennessee's defense & Jacksonville's. Our offense should be able to build on what they accomplished last Sunday.
Don't try to cover your tracks in the event the Texans surprise offensively in a win or loss. The Titans just shut down the Bills offense.....so how do you relate their defense to the Jags?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Don't try to cover your tracks in the event the Texans surprise offensively in a win or loss. The Titans just shut down the Bills offense.....so how do you relate their defense to the Jags?
They have secondary issues & can't stop the run.

They get turnovers. Jacksonville doesn't. Neither can find the QB. Deshaun should have time to play from the pocket.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They didn't shut down the Bills.
Allen gave them a couple of big gifts.
That defense isn't any better than ours without Simmons and A. Jackson.
(But Simmons is back though, and he's an imporant part of their pash rush).

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So, if Watson has a very good game and the Texans win....it was due to the Titans poor defense. If the Texans lose and Watson has a good game....it was due to 1 to 3 throws that completely swayed the game in the Titans favor and Watson really must go if the Texans have any desire to win the SB. Ok, got it......heads you win and tails you lose.