Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gameday Thread: Texans vs Coyboys

Everyone in my FFL lives in Houston. They know the Texans. Foster wouldn't have lasted until rd 5. Andre Johnson went EARLY in round one. Schaub went as one of the top five. I doubt that would have happened in a league full of yankee types.

Yesterday I got Foster in the 3rd (someone with a draft tool was targeting him early), today I got him in the 5th. If my old roommate wasn't targeting him just to spite me, I could've gotten him in the 7th today.

This is going to sound crazy, but it was part of a bigger strategy: I had the #1 pick in our league, so I took Andre. Not being a homer, it's just that AJ is alone in tier 1, then the dropoff to tier 3 is huge, while there is plenty of value in later rounds for RB's. I hoarded receivers and took value picks on RB's. I ended up with AJ, DeSean Jackson, and Roddy White (passed on Fitz because of his QB). RB's were Jonathan Stewart, Foster, Spiller, LT, Donald Brown, and Ivory. One of those will pay off big, so I don't care about passing on Chris Johnson or Peterson.

I only play in leagues with non-Houstonians so they never know our players at all. A lot of them still consider Slaton our #1 RB.

Other than AJ and Schaub, I get so much mid to late round value out of Texans players because the national media pretty much ignores them. Even in IDP leagues, Mario, Cushing, and Pollard are passed on despite high projections.

Noticed that to. Something about they were not wanting to show anything so as not to tip their hand for the week 3 game. If that was the case, they still played poorly regardless of what excuses are being made. Looked like the Texans did last week against N.O.

Yeah, that was stupid for a number of reasons.

#1, we play them in week 3 not week 1. I'm sure after playing thier 1st 2 regular season games against a stout washington defense & a decent chicago defense with peppers, they'll be plenty on tape for us to gamplan for....likewise for them.

2nd, nothing we did was exactly "new" material. everything we did in this game is on tape against various teams from last year. The play we scored our 1st TD on is the exact same play we ran against Cincy last year with JJ....& he scored then too.

3rd, why even play your starters that long? there was really no need for them to do that, as this was technically there 4th preseason game & if you're going to play like that, you might as well sit guys b/c that's how guys get hurt.

I'm not so naive as to think that this was the cowboys best punch & i'm sure they had some of the same issues we had after playing NO (tired, on the road too long, flat out disinterest), but the whole "didn't want to show anything b/c we play them in week 3" bit is a crock for the reasons stated above. If that was phillips' true plan...well that was just stupid. Furthermore, that o-line has struggled all preseason & they had too many miscues for them to simply be explained away as running a vanilla offense/defense.

Gus Johnson is killing me...just called Jeramiah Johnson, Dwayne Johnson...

Sweet, the Texans have The Rock in the backfield. Do you smell what The Rock is cookin?

rocktexans.jpg

A few random thoughts:

-The Cowboys ran absolutely nothing but base defense. It was nice watching us pick them apart, but this was not the same defense we'll see week 3.

-I thought we blitzed too much. Blitz Manning like that and he'll likely pick us apart

-We're still finding ways to choke in the redzone. Penalties, bad execution, etc.

-I like the way Foster can find the seam or cutback like a RB should in this system

-The Oline played well even considering the vanilla D the cowboys were running

-AJ = Beast = Nuff said

-JJ's looking real good too. Stay humble buddy, we need ya

A few random thoughts:

-The Cowboys ran absolutely nothing but base defense. It was nice watching us pick them apart, but this was not the same defense we'll see week 3.

-I thought we blitzed too much. Blitz Manning like that and he'll likely pick us apart

-We're still finding ways to choke in the redzone. Penalties, bad execution, etc.

-I like the way Foster can find the seam or cutback like a RB should in this system

-The Oline played well even considering the vanilla D the cowboys were running

-AJ = Beast = Nuff said

-JJ's looking real good too. Stay humble buddy, we need ya

Good advice to the entire team after this win over the Girls.

Houston Texans T Eric Winston
(on what motivated the Texans' offensive line's dominant performance) "I don't really know about that. I think they were playing pretty basic and weren't doing too much. We'll have to wait till week three until we really see their full defense. We were trying to get a body on a body. We were trying to get some separation in the middle there with a 3-4 team. Like I said, I think (RB) Arian (Foster) did a very good job of just finding those cuts and finding those holes. We were doing a good job of protecting the backside on both sides. Like I said, when it was time to bounce, he bounced it right, and when it was time to cut it back, he cut it back right."
(on the gaping holes formed by the Texans offensive line tonight for RB Arian Foster) "I think we did a good in getting some separation on the front side. We were cutting off the backside pretty well. I think they were playing pretty basic right now. We'll have to wait till Week 3 to see their whole repertoire."

Some good, some bad, but it is just preseason

Back