Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Gameday thread: Houston Texans@ Tennessee Titans.

That TD was on Dickerson!

Sorry to say it looks like we got another project receiver who needs to be coached up!

Ok, first and foremost Jason Babin didn't draft himself in the first round. The Texans decided he was a first round pick because Capers and Fangio thought he could be Kevin Green II. We all know how that went but before we go into that I just want to say that I don't hold Jason Babin's draft position against him. He's a bust in the first round but who says he even belonged there?

Now, he plays LB for two years and doesn't exactly suck at it but doesn't exactly excel at it either. Capers gets the boot, Kubiak shows up and he gets told to bulk up because he's going back to DE. Fine, he does and he's looking slow but he rakes in 5 sacks. Better but not spectacular. Pot 2006 season he drops weight to get quicker and has an excellent preseason, literally the best of his career but Kubiak and Smith haven't fixed the safety problem (and still haven't 4 years later but that's beside the point) and so since we're so deep at DE they trade Babin to Seattle for a lousy safety who happens to share a last name with a good player.

Seattle and then Kansas City both didn't see anything in him but in Philadelphia he played well coming off the bench and in fact made enough plays to get Tennessee's attention. This year is what it is. 45 tackles, 12 sacks (so far) and he's probably going to the Pro Bowl.

Could he have done that here? I tend to think so but early on we decided to give up on him and take a stab at a failed project at safety. Kubiak and Smith gave up on Babin after one 5 sack, 26 tackle season. Then they came along a couple of years later and drafted Conner Barwin who gave them exactly 4.5 sacks and 18 tackles. Part of the reason these two dipsticks never get anywhere is they keep making mistakes with players and having to go back and draft the same guy over again. We never develop anybody but obviously Tennessee figured out how to develop Babin.

Maybe "fair shot" is the wrong way to put it though. I just think that we had a player capable of this here who we drafted in the first round and our GM, HC, and then DC didn't have what it took to coach him up to this level. Jason Babin is the perfect example of why I'm not convinced that any of these players suck as much as some think. With this coaching staff tasked with developing them I doubt anyone here really knows what our roster holds.

Hindsight is a mofo. I didn't like the Babin pick when Capers made it & i didn't like the Barwin pick either. Nobody was thinking about babin until this year. Nobody. Now all of a sudden b/c he shows up in our division & has a good year, now everybody's "see, i told you he was good" It is what it is...he bounced around the league for a reason..he wasn't good enough & frankly Tennessee has a history of doing things like that anyway as they've got the best DL coach in the league in Jim Washburn.

Hindsight is a mofo. I didn't like the Babin pick when Capers made it & i didn't like the Barwin pick either. Nobody was thinking about babin until this year. Nobody. Now all of a sudden b/c he shows up in our division & has a good year, now everybody's "see, i told you he was good" It is what it is...he bounced around the league for a reason..he wasn't good enough & frankly Tennessee has a history of doing things like that anyway as they've got the best DL coach in the league in Jim Washburn.

I wouldn't say "nobody" was thinking about him. I put him on my FA short list the last two offseasons. :spin:

The announcers made it seem like Tennessee won the game due to being more "fresh" with the extra days days off than Houston, but I don't believe that at all. This could've been the only game Houston had to play all year and the results would still be the same.

indsight is a mofo. Nobody was thinking about babin until this year. Nobody. Now all of a sudden b/c he shows up in our division & has a good year, now everybody's "see, i told you he was good" It is what it is...he bounced around the league for a reason..he wasn't good enough & frankly Tennessee has a history of doing things like that anyway as they've got the best DL coach in the league in Jim Washburn.

I was pissed off when they gave up on him, watched him bounce around through Seattle and KC, and saw him starting to light up in Philly. I knew he wouldn't be coming back here though, we'd already drafted him again in the form of Barwin. He (dissacks) asked a few pages back so that was my explanation. The guy can play and could have here if we had a worth a **** DL coach.... ever.

Gotta love the classy move by Fisher, putting Babin into the victory formation so he can pose in front of the Texans. A consistently Bud Adamsesque move.

At least we broke the "Texans Cycle".

ohnowesuckagain.jpg

Another horrible first half effort, another horrible day for the D.

Oh well, now I can relax and watch the remaining season without too many invested emotions :)

The announcers made it seem like Tennessee won the game due to being more "fresh" with the extra days days off than Houston, but I don't believe that at all. This could've been the only game Houston had to play all year and the results would still be the same.

Wilcotts thought the Texans were a playoff team before the season started. This may have something to do with his excuse making.

Back