Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 5...Get On Track...Atlanta Falcons!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Sunday, October 6th at 12:00 PM CST, The Atlanta Falcons will match up against our Houston Texans in Houston at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired locally in Houston on TV on Fox 26 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

After that last game, it's more then evident that Bill O'Brien and his coaching staff is the issue. He is getting in the way of this team with every stupid call, bad challenge and horrible clock management and time out instance. This team has way too much talent to put such a lack luster, boring and down right terrible product on the field. There is no excuse what so ever for the garbage we watched against the Panthers in our own stadium. Watson can't hit his receivers. He can't get the ball out before the o-line disintegrates and allows a flood of defenders in to molest him. The backs can't find open lanes to run through and have to rely on their size and strength to make their own holes. The o-line is even worse then last year with better talent. It's all on the coaches. Devlin is the worst coach in any position in the league and shouldn't be allowed to coach a pee wee league much less a pro teams offensive line. It gets progressively worse every year. Not better. Cal has got to step in and have the juevos to do something about this trash. It's time.

Here are your 2 teams.

Your Houston Texans
Offense:
WR DeAndre Hopkins
LT Laremy Tunsil, Roderick Johnson
LG Max Scharping
C Nick Martin, Greg Mancz
RG Zach Fulton
RT Tytus Howard, Seantrel Henderson
TE Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Logan Paulsen
WR Keke Coutee, DeAndre Carter
WR Will Fuller V, Kenny Stills
QB Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron, Alex McGough
RB Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, Cullen Gillaspia

Defense:
DE J.J. Watt Carlos Watkins
NT D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn
DE Angelo Blackson, Charles Omenihu
OLB Whitney Mercilus, Barkevious Mingo
ILB Benardrick McKinney, Peter Kalambayi, Tyrell Adams
ILB Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
OLB Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin
CB Johnathan Joseph, Lonnie Johnson Jr., Phillip Gaines
CB Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen, Xavier Crawford
S Tashaun Gipson Sr., Jahleel Addae, Mike Adams
S Justin Reid, A.J. Moore Jr.

Special Teams:
K Ka'imi Fairbairn
P Bryan Anger
LS Jon Weeks
KR DeAndre Carter, Taiwan Jones
PR DeAndre Carter, Keke Coutee
H Bryan Anger

The Atlanta Falcons
Offense:
WR Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage
LT Jake Matthews, John Wetzel
LG James Carpenter
C Alex Mack, Wes Schweitzer
RG Jamon Brown
RT Kaleb McGary, Ty Sambrailo, Matt Gono
TE Austin Hooper, Luke Stocker, Jaeden Graham
WR Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Olamide Zaccheaus
QB Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub
RB Devonta Freeman, Ito Smith, Kenjon Barner, Brian Hill, Qadree Ollison
FB Keith Smith

Defense:
DE Takkarist McKinley, Adrian Clayborn
DT Grady Jarrett, Jack Crawford
DT Tyeler Davison, Deadrin Senat
DE Allen Bailey, John Cominsky
DE Vic Beasley Jr.
LB De'Vondre Campbell, Foyesade Oluokun
LB Deion Jones, Jermaine Grace
CB Isaiah Oliver, Damontae Kazee, Kendall Sheffield
CB Desmond Trufant, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Jordan Miller
S Kemal Ishmael, Johnathan Cyprien, Jamal Carter
S Ricardo Allen, Sharrod Neasman

Special Teams:
K Matt Bryant
KO Matt Bosher
P Matt Bosher
KR Kenjon Barner
PR Kenjon Barner
LS Josh Harris
H Matt Bosher

In order for the Texans to win, Watson needs to get back on the same page as his receivers and get the ball to them accurately instead of under or over throwing them. He also needs to start understanding when a play is over and throwing the ball away instead of holding on to it too long and getting beat up on. He also needs to start using the outlets more and getting the ball to underneath routes. The running game needs to be brought back and used. The Falcons defense is not the best against the run so it should be used to open up something for Watson in the passing game. This is a winnable game and the Texans should win this one.
We shall see when it's game time.

Texans ?
Falcons ?

Your guess is as good as mine.

GO TEXANS!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
'Bout MFing time!:texanbill:

Here's one where you can't let a desperate team come in and steal one in your own house.

Veteran upper tier QB, godlike WR, speedy WR in Ridley, and a TE who's moving up the tier chart. All things the Texans struggle with.

10-13 offensive points ain't gonna do it in this one.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
On Sunday, October 6th at 12:00 PM CST, The Atlanta Falcons will match up against our Houston Texans in Houston at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired locally in Houston on TV on Fox 26 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

After that last game, it's more then evident that Bill O'Brien and his coaching staff is the issue. He is getting in the way of this team with every stupid call, bad challenge and horrible clock management and time out instance. This team has way too much talent to put such a lack luster, boring, and down right terrible product on the field. There is no excuse what so ever for the garbage we watched against the Panthers in our own stadium. Watson can't hit his receivers. He can't get the ball out before the o-line disintegrates and allows a flood of defenders in to molest him. The backs can't find open lanes to run through and have to rely on their size and strength to make their own holes. The o-line is even worse then last year with better talent. It's all on the coaches. Devlin is the worst coach in any position in the league and shouldn't be allowed to coach a pee wee league much less a pro teams offensive line. It gets progressively worse every year. Not better. Cal has got to step in and have the juevos to do something about this trash. It's time.
<snip>
The vitriolic invective is fully justified. I'm going with the official line on this one. We jolly well better beat those Buzzards, or Billy is toast, count on it.
Toros 20
Buzzards 16

Scooter

Funky
How bad do you have to screw up to get JamTex upset? I didn't think it was possible. The intro was spot on, I'm just a little saddened that your enthusiasm is being brought down. As a permanent pessimist, it's nice to see there are folks who still try to see the best.

As for the Falcons, I'm not really sure because I don't pay much attention to the NFC. They're an up and down team in an up and down division, but seem to have withered a bit since Shanahan left. As with each game, we're going to have to win on star power. Mercilus and Watt, Joseph and Reid, Hopkins and mostly needing Watson to carry the offense. Ryan is dangerous, quick and can abuse the wide areas, and won't be as turnover prone as the kids we've faced - I'm expecting to give up points and have to win a shootout (which probably means the opposite will happen).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
'Bout MFing time!:texanbill:

Here's one where you can't let a desperate team come in and steal one in your own house.

Veteran upper tier QB, godlike WR, speedy WR in Ridley, and a TE who's moving up the tier chart. All things the Texans struggle with.

10-13 offensive points ain't gonna do it in this one.
13 would have against the Tacks last weekend.

Seegara

Game Five! Does the hive thrive or just more jive? Live from the money pit! Disorganization! Madness and mayhem! The same old shitty o-line!

Who we playing again? (....as if it matters)
Dive into that money pit! It's downright enough to make you shrive!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Sad day in Texansville when even ol @JamTex has his feathers ruffled a bit! All true though mi amigo. All true. This team needs an infusion of really good coaching!

Yeah , he's usually all unicorns and rainbows ….

This sucks.

I thought they would beat Carolina …. they are a better team than the Panthers.

Don't know what to make of ATL … Don't believe they are as poor as their record reflects. Matt Ryan is still a really good QB and they don't have the anchor that is OB.

mws

Rookie
I can still remember the ass whoopin' we took the one & only time O'Brian has faced the Falcons. This was on 10/4/2015. We lost 48-21 in one of the worst beatdowns the Texans ever had.

Texans
R. Mallett 12-27 44.4%, 150 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INT, 46.8 QBR

Hoyer comes in with 2:53 left in the 3rd quarter.
By then the score was Falcons 42 - Houston 0.

B. Hoyer 17-30 56.6%, 232 YDS, 2 TD, 103.8 QBR

Falcons
M. Ryan 19-27 70.4%, 256 YDS, 1 TD, 112.6 QBR

Lets all hope & pray we don't have a repeat performance.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
The Astros get the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Friday, October 4th at 1:05 pm CST at Minute Maid Park. The game will be aired on TV on ESPN and on radio on Sports Radio 790 AM.
Verlander will be pitching opposite Glasnow.
Be rest assured that Hinch will have the best possible rotation and lineup ready to go against the Rays. That's in stark contrast to Billy O' having no idea of how to manage a roster.
Should be a great game with Verlander, Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Air Yordan and the rest of the boys coming out on top. This game will be much more exciting and fun to watch then anything O'Brien and the Texans will put on the field. That man just sucks the fun right out of football. How is that possible?
Go Astros!
Take It Back!

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The Astros get the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Friday, October 4th at 1:05 pm CST at Minute Maid Park. The game will be aired on TV on ESPN and on radio on Sports Radio 790 AM.
Verlander will be pitching opposite Glasnow.
Be rest assured that Hinch will have the best possible rotation and lineup ready to go against the Rays. That's in stark contrast to Billy O' having no idea of how to manage a roster.
Should be a great game with Verlander, Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Air Yordan and the rest of the boys coming out on top. This game will be much more exciting and fun to watch then anything O'Brien and the Texans will put on the field. That man just sucks the fun right out of football. How is that possible?
Go Astros!
Take It Back!
I guess that makes it Texans related... but not really

Are you aware there is a 2019 Astros thread in the baseball forum? You could take it there

Last edited:

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Atlanta has all the skill position players that confuse and utterly fool Obrien and staff. This is another headache of a game at home, where the offense has been stagnant to non-existent. Ryan will go bananas hitting 15 yard curl routes and the Texans fall to the Falcons 27-20 on a last minute TD that makes it looks better than it really was.

Get out the pink soap, we need a change.

281Texan

Waterboy
I’m going to the game this Sunday (got tickets from the in-laws) and I actually feel dirty going. I refuse to support that numb nuts at the helm and even showing up to the stadium is doing just that. Maybe I can start a fire OB chant. I know it’s only game 5 and firing your head coach is a virtual guarantee that you’re not going anywhere this season (I don’t believe anyone’s made the playoffs let alone super bowl after firing their coach in season) but for deshauns sake, I’d love to get OB out now. Dumb down the playbook, go to quick west coast concepts to get the ball out quicker, and let crennel or whoever knows how to use timeouts be the head guy for the remainder of the season. Eric bienemy and dabo are the two at the top of my wish list. I say bienemy because he’s most realistic

Speez

Practice Squad
The Falcons are a mess. They've had 9 or more penalties in 3 of their 4 games. Just can't seem to stay out of their own way, which sounds familiar.....

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans can win this one. I think JJ and the defense come in pissed that he left a potential game-changing sack on the field last weekend. JJ got punked by a backup QB, and I know that's got to sting all week.

The question will be the Texans offense. The line will be a constant work-in-progress all season. They've got some talent, but it take chemistry for a line to really gel, and that chemistry takes time to develop.

My concern is Watson's constant pressure. Regardless of his talent and 'it' factor, he's still human and a constantly crumbling line and hard hits game after game takes a mental toll.

I don't do predictions, but I do feel that the Texans should win this one. It just depends on which Texans team comes out of the tunnel both times.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m going to predict:

Texans 10
Falcons 32

10 seems to be the magic number for the Texans offense at home these days. Matt Ryan is 2nd in passing yards this season. The Texans defense has been overachieving IMHO. So bring on the boo birds at NRG to go along with the ones from Atlanta.

eriadoc

Texan-American
10 seems to be the magic number for the Texans offense at home these days.
I used to complain about this team always landing on 16. 16 is the most frustrating score, because it basically means you went 1/4 on scoring opportunities. Now O'Brien is trying to make me miss 16.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Now, after listening to Clint Stoerner this afternoon, I'm starting to get scared that our secondary is going to get seriously exposed this weekend.

Like eriadoc said, this might well be ATL's "get right" game. *sigh*

eriadoc

Texan-American
Now, after listening to Clint Stoerner this afternoon, I'm starting to get scared that our secondary is going to get seriously exposed this weekend.

Like eriadoc said, this might well be ATL's "get right" game. *sigh*
I think they'll limit Julio Jones, but one or more of Ridley, Sanu, or Hooper will go off.

Seegara

I guess that makes it Texans related... but not really

Are you aware there is a 2019 Astros thread in the baseball forum? You could take it there
<sheesh!> How overlegalistic can you get?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I'm sure we'll be aware of the Falcons Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. But we better have an answer for their TE Austin Hooper. Through week 4 , he leads the Falcons with 28 receptions, which ranks 5th among all pass-catchers in the NFL. He has been targeted 33 times and has 307 receiving yds, two TDs, 14 1st downs and 131 yacs.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
ATLANTA FALCONS (+5) AT HOUSTON TEXANS
Point (Eric Eager): It really is a light week. When it comes to betting the PFFalcons, it’s the old adage “bet numbers, not teams.” Despite the starting the season 1-3 and ranking 26th in points per game, the Falcons are ninth in yards per play offensively. The Texans, despite playing two backup quarterbacks, are in the middle of the pack in terms of yards per play allowed defensively and are 27th in terms of our team-level coverage grades. Even in light of the noise of the season’s first four weeks, the Falcons should be able to score enough points to be competitive in this one.

On the other side, many of the problems that have caused us to fade the Texans (and successfully) the last two seasons remain. Deshaun Watson is facing pressure at a higher rate than every quarterback except Kirk Cousins and Daniel Jones, and the Falcons are a top defense in terms of pass-rush grades, meaning Watson will be under more siege than most NFL quarterbacks on Sunday in Houston. The probable pressure on Watson plus the injuries hampering the Houston receiving corps should do enough to help a vulnerable Falcons secondary and keep this game low-scoring enough to be close.

Lastly, while neither George nor I have much in the way of patience for the Falcons’ inability to turn talent into wins, going against Bill O’Brien and company makes us a little more bullish than the coaching matchup will be even on Sunday. Put those things together, and it’s a “hold your nose and bet Atlanta” situation.

Counterpoint (George Chahrouri): The Falcons are in the process of redefining “Falconry” to mean “tempting poor idiots to put faith in a supremely talented offense that leaves its supporters depressed and in need of a hug.” The Falcons have a top-10 offense in expected points added per play for what feels like the millionth consecutive week, and yet, there is no rhyme or reason for some of the ways they’ve managed not to cover spreads. This past week they got absolutely embarrassed by A.J. Brown and the Titans at home — yes, that sentence was not even hyperbolic. They managed to go for a fourth-and-one but decided to line up in heavy personnel in order to run the ball unsuccessfully right up the gut. Remember one of the 10 commandments of football and life, “pass from heavy, spread to run.”

In addition to the awful vibes that permeate the Falcons, the reason to worry about them losing by less than five points is that there is no reason to believe they can slow down Watson and DeAndre Hopkins — only the Washington WTFskins and the Miami LOLphins are allowing a worse expected points added per pass play than the Falcons, and with Grady Jarrett questionable, Atlanta may be without a full complement of their best defensive lineman against a Texans offensive line that has allowed the sixth-most pressures so far this season.

Five points feel like a lot for a team with top-five/top-10 players at quarterback and wide receiver, but the Falcons’ duo is likely the second-best duo in this game, and they have absolutely zero means by which to slow down their opposition on defense.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-bet-pff-greenline-nfl-week-5-spread-over-under-picks

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The week I played Watson, Jackson lit it up, the week I played Jackson, Watson lit it up. I'm going to, hopefully, sacrifice my fantasy record and play Jackson so maybe Watson will light it up again.

toronto

Hall of Fame
So I'm in town with my younger son for Astros Sat eve. and will have Sunday free. Might as well see if anyone has an extra pair they're willing to dump...would be amazing to meet so many I've bantered with for years and tailgate in style.

I've blown my budget on getting down and the Astros...so tight budget for Texans...it's more about the experience and sharing it with my son.

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So I'm in town with my younger son for Astros Sat eve. and will have Sunday free. Might as well see if anyone has an extra pair they're willing to dump...would be amazing to meet so many I've bantered with for years and tailgate in style.

I've blown my budget on getting down and the Astros...so tight budget for Texans...it's more about the experience and sharing it with my son.
Wish I could meet you at either, but will be working (nights) for both

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The vitriolic invective is fully justified. I'm going with the official line on this one. We jolly well better beat those Buzzards, or Billy is toast, count on it.
Toros 20
Buzzards 16
I reckon there is a very strong chance O'Brien will be shown the door if we see a repeat performance this week.
Last week's fiasco was unacceptable and showed a regression instead of progress and anyone with half a football brain will recognise that including Cal Mc.
I have no confidence in this team whatsoever at the moment.
I want the Texans to win and they should, but with this coaching staff, it will probably go the Falcons way.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
No matter how bad BoB is, real or imagined, from a pure business standpoint it would be stupid to fire him at this point. If you fire him then you have fired your HC, OC and GM all in one move and what are you left with? An OC that is a kid and has never worked the offensive side of the ball much less called anything before this year, a bunch of bean counters at GM and a DC that has been HC twice and bad both times. That's not even mentioning the chaos it would cause in the locker room and increasing the chance of guys getting hurt because there is to much crap going on around them. The Texans wounds are self inflected but they aren't going to heal by all of a sudden pouring salt into them.

Best hope is that either BoB becomes the HC that, most of us, hopes he could be or is fired as soon as the off season begins and Cal has been looking for replacements all through the season.