Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 4...Prove It...Carolina Panthers!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Sunday, September 29th at 12:00 noon CST, The Carolina Panthers will be in town to take on our Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired on TV on Fox 26 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

The Texans won't face Cam Newton as he's going to be out recovering from injury. The rookie, Kyle Allen will take his place. Another new starter the Texans will face. The kid was good against the Cardinals but after a week of studying film from 1 game on the kid, will Romeo be able to dial up a defense to slow down the rookie? It's time to prove it. We shall see.

Here are your 2 teams.

Your Houston Texans
Offense:
WR DeAndre Hopkins
LT Laremy Tunsil, Roderick Johnson
LG Tytus Howard, Senio Kelemete
C Nick Martin, Greg Mancz
RG Zach Fulton, Max Scharping
RT Seantrel Henderson
TE Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Jerell Adams, Logan Paulsen
WR Keke Coutee, DeAndre Carter
WR Will Fuller V, Kenny Stills
QB Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron, Alex McGough
RB Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, Cullen Gillaspia

Defense:
DE J.J. Watt, Charles Omenihu
NT D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn
DE Angelo Blackson, Carlos Watkins
OLB Whitney Mercilus, Barkevious Mingo
ILB Benardrick McKinney, Peter Kalambayi
ILB Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
OLB Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin
CB Johnathan Joseph, Phillip Gaines, Xavier Crawford
CB Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen, Lonnie Johnson Jr.
S Tashaun Gipson Sr., Jahleel Addae
S Justin Reid, A.J. Moore

Special Teams:
K Ka'imi Fairbairn
P Bryan Anger
LS Jon Weeks
KR DeAndre Carter, Taiwan Jones
PR DeAndre Carter, Keke Coutee
H Bryan Anger

The Carolina Panthers
Offense:
LWR DJ Moore, Chris Hogan, Ray-Ray McCloud
LT Daryl Williams, Greg Little
LG Greg Van Roten, Bryan Witzmann
C Matt Paradis, Tyler Larsen
RG Trai Turner, Dennis Daley
RT Taylor Moton
TE Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz
RWR Curtis Samuel, Jarius Wright, Brandon Zylstra
QB Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Will Grier
FB Alex Armah
RB Christian McCaffrey, Reggie Bonnafon, Jordan Scarlett

Defense:
LDE Gerald McCoy, Efe Obada
NT Dontari Poe, Kyle Love
RDE Kawann Short, Vernon Butler
LOLB Mario Addison, Brian Burns
LILB Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Jordan Kunaszyk
RILB Luke Kuechly, Andre Smith
ROLB Bruce Irvin, Marquis Haynes, Christian Miller
LCB Donte Jackson, Javien Elliott, Natrell Jamerson
RCB James Bradberry, Ross Cockrell
SS Eric Reid, Rashaan Gaulden, Natrell Jamerson
FS Tre Boston, Ross Cockrell, Colin Jones

Special Teams:
K Joey Slye
P Michael Palardy
KO Joey Slye
H Michael Palardy
PR Ray-Ray McCloud
KR Ray-Ray McCloud
LS J.J. Jansen

On offense since Cam is out, the Panthers have 2 main weapons that Kyle Allen can really use, Christian McCaffery and Greg Olsen. Romeo has to dial up a defense to not only stop a very good rookie quarterback (which he's had a lot of trouble with in the past), but a way to slow down McCaffery and Olsen. It's time for Romeo to allow the defense to be hyper aggressive not only on the line of scrimmage, but also in the secondary. Blitz packages and pounding on the receivers as they come off the line should be the defense of the day. Keep the kid running and confused and don't let a receiver get open short. McCaffery has to be slowed down. Don't let him run wild. So far, the Texans defense has been pretty darn good against the run. This guy will test that big time. Just stop him. Put Cole on Olsen and I think that threat will be cooled down some.
Just be aggressive on defense.
On offense, the o-line should improve even more. Key in on Luke Kuechly and keep him away from Deshaun. We should see better performance from the o-line. Every week they seem to get better and better. Let's see that trend continue in this game.
Deshaun seems to be getting better and better with every pass he throws. He was off in the first half against the Chargers last week, but really got better and was able to find his receivers in the second half. That is another trend we'd like to see continue. The running game was pretty much non existent last week, but that's because the Texans simply weren't using it. This could be a game that the running game will be important in that it could really open up the passing attack. The o-line needs to be better at opening up running lanes for Duke and Carlos. That could spell real issues for the Carolina defense.
I think the Texans are really going to pull things together both offensively and defensively in this one.
The Texans will be at home coming off a big win against a very good quarterback. Now, it's time to go against a good Carolina team and get even better. This should be a big victory for the Texans in front of a crazed home crowd.

Toros 38
Kittens 12

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've got more hope than faith right now for the Houston Texans. I don't know who they are. I don't think they know who they are. But things are trending up I believe.

The Panthers... I watched a couple of games. They come to play.

I think it's going to be a close game. Hopefully the Texans win.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If I had to envision playing either the Texans or the Panthers from another teams perspective, I'd rather play the Panthers than take the chance on Watson having a good day. Which he doesn't always do, it's just when he does.......

badboy

Hall of Fame
Interested in how Tre Boston will play. Wanted to sign him the last two offseasons. Anyone think Reed will play again this year?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
On Sunday, September 29th at 12:00 noon CST, The Carolina Panthers will be in town to take on our Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired on TV on Fox 26 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

The Texans won't face Cam Newton as he's going to be out recovering from injury. The rookie, Kyle Allen will take his place. Another new starter the Texans will face. The kid was good against the Cardinals but after a week of studying film from 1 game on the kid, will Romeo be able to dial up a defense to slow down the rookie? It's time to prove it. We shall see.

Here are your 2 teams.

Your Houston Texans
Offense:
WR DeAndre Hopkins
LT Laremy Tunsil, Roderick Johnson
LG Tytus Howard, Senio Kelemete
C Nick Martin, Greg Mancz
RG Zach Fulton, Max Scharping
RT Seantrel Henderson
TE Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Jerell Adams, Logan Paulsen
WR Keke Coutee, DeAndre Carter
WR Will Fuller V, Kenny Stills
QB Deshaun Watson, AJ McCarron, Alex McGough
RB Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Taiwan Jones, Buddy Howell, Cullen Gillaspia

Defense:
DE J.J. Watt, Charles Omenihu
NT D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn
DE Angelo Blackson, Carlos Watkins
OLB Whitney Mercilus, Barkevious Mingo
ILB Benardrick McKinney, Peter Kalambayi
ILB Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
OLB Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin
CB Johnathan Joseph, Phillip Gaines, Xavier Crawford
CB Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen, Lonnie Johnson Jr.
S Tashaun Gipson Sr., Jahleel Addae
S Justin Reid, A.J. Moore

Special Teams:
K Ka'imi Fairbairn
P Bryan Anger
LS Jon Weeks
KR DeAndre Carter, Taiwan Jones
PR DeAndre Carter, Keke Coutee
H Bryan Anger

The Carolina Panthers
Offense:
LWR DJ Moore, Chris Hogan, Ray-Ray McCloud
LT Daryl Williams, Greg Little
LG Greg Van Roten, Bryan Witzmann
C Matt Paradis, Tyler Larsen
RG Trai Turner, Dennis Daley
RT Taylor Moton
TE Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz
RWR Curtis Samuel, Jarius Wright, Brandon Zylstra
QB Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Will Grier
FB Alex Armah
RB Christian McCaffrey, Reggie Bonnafon, Jordan Scarlett

Defense:
LDE Gerald McCoy, Efe Obada
NT Dontari Poe, Kyle Love
RDE Kawann Short, Vernon Butler
LOLB Mario Addison, Brian Burns
LILB Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Jordan Kunaszyk
RILB Luke Kuechly, Andre Smith
ROLB Bruce Irvin, Marquis Haynes, Christian Miller
LCB Donte Jackson, Javien Elliott, Natrell Jamerson
RCB James Bradberry, Ross Cockrell
SS Eric Reid, Rashaan Gaulden, Natrell Jamerson
FS Tre Boston, Ross Cockrell, Colin Jones

Special Teams:
K Joey Slye
P Michael Palardy
KO Joey Slye
H Michael Palardy
PR Ray-Ray McCloud
KR Ray-Ray McCloud
LS J.J. Jansen

On offense since Cam is out, the Panthers have 2 main weapons that Kyle Allen can really use, Christian McCaffery and Greg Olsen. Romeo has to dial up a defense to not only stop a very good rookie quarterback (which he's had a lot of trouble with in the past), but a way to slow down McCaffery and Olsen. It's time for Romeo to allow the defense to be hyper aggressive not only on the line of scrimmage, but also in the secondary. Blitz packages and pounding on the receivers as they come off the line should be the defense of the day. Keep the kid running and confused and don't let a receiver get open short. McCaffery has to be slowed down. Don't let him run wild. So far, the Texans defense has been pretty darn good against the run. This guy will test that big time. Just stop him. Put Cole on Olsen and I think that threat will be cooled down some.
Just be aggressive on defense.
On offense, the o-line should improve even more. Key in on Luke Kuechly and keep him away from Deshaun. We should see better performance from the o-line. Every week they seem to get better and better. Let's see that trend continue in this game.
Deshaun seems to be getting better and better with every pass he throws. He was off in the first half against the Chargers last week, but really got better and was able to find his receivers in the second half. That is another trend we'd like to see continue. The running game was pretty much non existent last week, but that's because the Texans simply weren't using it. This could be a game that the running game will be important in that it could really open up the passing attack. The o-line needs to be better at opening up running lanes for Duke and Carlos. That could spell real issues for the Carolina defense.
I think the Texans are really going to pull things together both offensively and defensively in this one.
The Texans will be at home coming off a big win against a very good quarterback. Now, it's time to go against a good Carolina team and get even better. This should be a big victory for the Texans in front of a crazed home crowd.

Toros 38
Kittens 12

Thanks for the hard work you put into these JT!

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Panthers have a dangerous weapon in McCaffery and a QB from A&M who may turn out to be better than Cam Newton. I think our Toros win a cliffhanger.
Toxins 34
Wild Cats 32

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
I still have no idea how good or bad this team is. Hoping for the best but I think we get shelled at home by a rookie QB, we'll score one late so it doesn't look as bad. Something like 33-23 Panthers.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
O' Ye of little faith. OB hasn't quite followed Kubiak's script
Panthers sacked Murray 8 times last week, Cardinals offensive line is a little worse than ours. I'm still not sold on the Texans. I hope for the best but I tend to temper my enthusiasm until Obrien shows me he can come out prepared and not look completely lost. The Panthers do tend to play a lot of zone, but I think Rivera is smarter than that against Watson. They'll be bringing constant pressure. I hope to hell we win. I just don't see it unless Bob can come out utilizing TE's to get us up early and run all day on them. Panthers have a very talented squad, McCaffrey does everything well and they have some solid receiving options past Olson.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Was looking forward to this game but Carolina seems stuck. They need to overhaul things. Seems like superbowl run was a long time ago.
Agreed, just as long as they wait till after we play them to overhaul :) Newton is the other dangerous route that Watson could go even if he avoids the Luck road. To good of a QB to just replace but to banged up and breakable to trust through a season. I do not envy Carolina at all because that team has got some hard decisions to make over the next two seasons.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've got more hope than faith right now for the Houston Texans. I don't know who they are. I don't think they know who they are. But things are trending up I believe.
They're who O'Brien said they'd be; they morph into what's necessary to win. We can't know who they are until they see which match-ups are working this week.

The defense worries me, key folks are showing wear & tear

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
They're who O'Brien said they'd be; they morph into what's necessary to win. We can't know who they are until they see which match-ups are working this week.

The defense worries me, key folks are showing wear & tear
Is Cam still out?

All they mainly have is the white boy if so.

Should be a game where the Texans offense could win outscore them if Cam is out. If he plays the game is a big wild card. You never know what game Cam will come out and ball his ass off at this point. His weekly output is totally unpredictable.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Is Cam still out?

All they mainly have is the white boy if so.

Should be a game where the Texans offense could win outscore them if Cam is out. If he plays the game is a big wild card. You never know what game Cam will come out and ball his ass off at this point. His weekly output is totally unpredictable.
Cam is going to be out for the next month and the offense has been more potent with Allen, because they can throw the ball down the field with him, something Cam hasn't been able to do for a few seasons now. Honestly I'd rather play against Cam.. the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Cam looks done throwing. Problem is bigger than the foot. I watched him a bit this year, and would prefer that scattergun with his current limited mobility. CNDD may be able to comment more on his shoulder over the offseason, but to me, he needs a lot of rest and rehab or he is already cooked

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Cam is done. Shoulder and now lisfranc injury. He had a good run. Another example of qb abuse. Kyle Allen may be a solution long term. Man lots of QB turnover.

I really hope OB doesnt try to slow this down. Knock them out before halftime
QB abuse? Lol!

Not even. Cam never accomplished himself to be a consistent passer in the pocket. He ran foolishly way to much throughout his career and brought all kinds of hits on himself. They add up. Its a reason why Russel Wilson doesn't have these same types of problems. He scrambles smarter and with better instincts than any of them.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Cam is going to be out for the next month and the offense has been more potent with Allen, because they can throw the ball down the field with him, something Cam hasn't been able to do for a few seasons now. Honestly I'd rather play against Cam.. the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
Agree, Cam looked horrible against the Bucs. The Texans would be better off facing Cam. Apart from Cam, the Panthers are a pretty good team. They have to stop McCaffery.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I dont see our team turning that dominant corner just yet. We should win but not by the margin you predicted.

While I will not predict an exact score I will predit a winning margin of 3 to 6 points.

We have had dominant performances before. So if we were to dominate this team and blow them out, I wouldn't be surprised.

Last season:

34-17 against the Titans.
42-23 against the Dolphins
29-13 against the Browns
20-7 against the Jaguars

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
One poor game does not a Qb make. I would much rather play the back up we are facing as opposed to the best of Cam Newton.
The Texans are not going to board a time machine and play the best of Cam from a few years ago. Those days are long over. Without his legs he's not even an average QB. Doc mentioned his injury in the Injury thread and it doesn't sound good. As a Bucs fan I would like to see the Panthers go into QB oblivion for a few years, however, Kyle Allen apparently looked pretty good last week. Actually, who am I kidding, the Bucs can't beat anyone's rookie or backup QB.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
The Texans are not going to board a time machine and play the best of Cam from a few years ago. Those days are long over. Without his legs he's not even an average QB. Doc mentioned his injury in the Injury thread and it doesn't sound good. As a Bucs fan I would like to see the Panthers would go into QB oblivion for a few years, however, Kyle Allen apparently looked pretty good last week. Actually, who am I kidding, the Bucs can't beat anyone's rookie or backup QB.
They also have Will Grier in development now. Not a slam dunk prospect of course, but someone worth putting some time into.

Gives them two young arms to make transitioning from Cam a little less daunting.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I would much rather play the back up we are facing as opposed to the best of Cam Newton. Cam has been off his game as of late but he will be back better than ever.
Dude, the best of Cam Newton was half a decade ago.

In an era where qbs routinely hit 65% comp. perc. and flirt with going over 70, he's a career 59.6.

He's had one 4,000 yd season, his rookie year.

He's never had a passer rating over 100.

He's only thrown 30 td in a season once.

Cam would be a baller playing qb in the 80's. In 2019 he's middle of the pack at best and most of the time just a guy.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
They also have Will Grier in development now. Not a slam dunk prospect of course, but someone worth putting some time into.

Gives them two young arms to make transitioning from Cam a little less daunting.
I really liked Grier at Florida. Living out here I started following the Gators some. His suspension railroaded that season. However, them allowing him to transfer was a huge mistake. They still don't have a QB. I don't know if he will be a good pro but I agree he's worth giving a shot.

I dont care about stats all together when it comes to Qbs. Cam Newton will return and have atleast two View attachment 4666View attachment 4665 View attachment 4664 ro bowl seasons.
We have had dominant performances before. So if we were to dominate this team and blow them out, I wouldn't be surprised.

Last season:

34-17 against the Titans.
42-23 against the Dolphins
29-13 against the Browns
20-7 against the Jaguars
You may be right but I do not see it in this next game. The Panthers Defense should keep that from happening.

Cam would be a baller playing qb in the 80's. In 2019 he's middle of the pack at best and most of the time just a guy.
Cam was a much better Qb than the stats say he was. You may be right about his future but I think you are wrong. I predict Cam will be back in the Pro Bowl at least two more times.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Cam was a much better Qb than the stats say he was. You may be right about his future but I think you are wrong. I predict Cam will be back in the Pro Bowl at least two more times.
When looking at the whole picture the struggles Cam had are not solely on him.
What are you basing any of this on?

Because there's not a single metric or any batch of game film whatsoever that agree with it.

HouTx11

Rookie
Panthers sacked Murray 8 times last week
This was all that I needed to read. I was able to pick up the Panthers' D from the waiver wire, so I will start them on my FF team. I am hopeful that the Texans win, but the O-line looks like it will have its hands quite full. BTW, I hate holding calls.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Cam seemed to be a better QB than he actually was because not many QBs were a real run threat at that time. Vick started it, Kaepernick showed it could work and then Newton made it work. Since then not only do you have most major QBs be duel threat in some regard but defenses have learned how to plan for that. Newton was never actually really even a duel threat because he couldn't throw the ball. He use to brag that if people didn't like his trash talking then find a way to stop him. Well defenses did and now a QB that survives just on his legs doesn't work any more. Newton's era is done, its now the era of the Mahomes and Watsons who are true duel threats because their legs can get them out of trouble and their arms can make the plays.

DanielTx

Veteran
I want to give us a easy w but I know that won’t be the case. The secondary will get roasted this game. Carolina has a underrated receiver group. I expect them to take advantage. Kyle Allen had 4 tds in his first game. Rc should make it a goal to get him benched. We need our defensive veterans to step up and kill the head so the body can die. Every play should be a blitz. Carolina has a lot of speed and can stretch the field.

I expect this to be a relatively close game with the Texans coming out on top. O’Brien play calling was pretty good last game. Hopefully the trend continues and Watson can get the ball out fast.

Texansballer74

The Marine