Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 16...This is It...Tennessee Titans!!!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
WEEK 17 · Sun 12/29 · 3:25 PM CST
TXvsTN.jpg
Tennessee Titans
TV
CBS 11
Sports Radio 610 (KILT-AM)
NRG STADIUM
Fan Appreciation Day presented by Verizon

Will O'Brien rest players? Will Watson, Fuller and others be held out of this game? Should Kansas City lose against the Chargers, it's likely that O'Brien will play everyone with a chance to take the #3 seed. If the Chiefs beat the Chargers, the Texans are already in with the #4 seed, so risking injury to key players will weigh into that decision.

Here are your 2 teams for this final regular season game!
Your AFC South Champion Houston Texans!
AFC South Champs.jpg

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

The Tennessee Titans
Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Come Sunday, We'll either be treated to a game the Texans want to win to get that #3 seed or we'll be forced to sit through a game that means nothing to the seeding since the Texans already own the #4 seed. That depends entirely on what happens in the Chiefs vs Chargers game. I suspect the Chiefs want to keep the #3 seed and will beat the Chargers handily, but the hope is that the Chiefs lose and the Texans can decide whether or not they want to play for that #3 seed. Either way, the Texans are in the playoffs!
This is it. The last one of the regular season...and it's against the Tacks!

GO TEXANS!!!

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Texans have some guys that can really use some rest. For example I believe Stills is dinged up.

And then there’s some guys that could really use some game reps. I’d like to see Coutee starting for that reason.

I don’t want to see the Texans down to one capable, but injured WR in the playoffs like last years WC game.

Reactions: ROO

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Agree that QT should get out of the dog house for a game we don't need to win just to see if he is ready. I heard the guys talking on 610 and made some sense to let the first team offense feel some success. So maybe even if Chiefs win you let them play the first half and see where you are. I was thinking rest hurt guys like Stills, Tunsil and DW4, but I do like the idea of going into the Buffalo game with more confidence. They seem to know how to fix a stinker too, so maybe it does not matter. If Tunsil sits, please rest DW4. I have my kids over and am looking at whether or not I feel like using those tickets. I hate pre-season games and even worse opposing fans enjoying a win at our house, that just sucks. So if we are not really playing to win, will suck to go

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Unnecessary roughness on TK. Plus, the Texans have won 2 in a row so we already knew no matter who created the game day thread the Texans are due for a loss.
About that WWL thingie (or the LWW whatever theory), it requires the Texans be absolutely consistent. I don't think it's possible for the Texans to be consistent for any real length of time. That means they win this Sunday but lose the wild card game regaining their inconsistency which we are all used to.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
About that WWL thingie (or the LWW whatever theory), it requires the Texans be absolutely consistent. I don't think it's possible for the Texans to be consistent for any real length of time. That means they win this Sunday but lose the wild card game regaining their inconsistency which we are all used to.
A bowl too far?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Welcome back, JamTex. The Tacks are a 2½ point favorite. It depends so much on whether the Texans rest their troops. The Squaws figure to win their game, in which case the Texans will (or at least should) bench some starters, especially the lame ones. Tacks won't know in advance whether the Steelmen will win, so they will be playing for their playoff life. It's most likely we will give this game away. Tacks 30, Toros 13.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The Crows figure to win their game, in which case the Texans will (or at least should) bench some starters, especially the lame ones.
What do the Ravens have to do with the Texans this week?

bigmck

Rookie
You’re missing a pretty important guy who plays defense.
While I was having lunch yesterday, the TV was on ESPN with no sound. I swear I saw them say Watt was going to be back for the Playoffs yet have seen nothing on here. Was this a dream I had?

banned1976

sleeper mode
While I was having lunch yesterday, the TV was on ESPN with no sound. I swear I saw them say Watt was going to be back for the Playoffs yet have seen nothing on here. Was this a dream I had?
Check out the Watt out for the season thread.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Hey all I'm here in Kansas City for 10 days. The fans here are all ecstatic for the Chiefs and lots of fan wear. I brought my Texans Santa Claus hat and knit hat too. When we go out from the hotel to anywhere there is a lot of football conversation.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Over and under is 2 for missed kicks (extra points plus FG's) for Fairbairn. Where does your money go?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Agree that QT should get out of the dog house for a game we don't need to win just to see if he is ready. I heard the guys talking on 610 and made some sense to let the first team offense feel some success. So maybe even if Chiefs win you let them play the first half and see where you are. I was thinking rest hurt guys like Stills, Tunsil and DW4, but I do like the idea of going into the Buffalo game with more confidence. They seem to know how to fix a stinker too, so maybe it does not matter. If Tunsil sits, please rest DW4. I have my kids over and am looking at whether or not I feel like using those tickets. I hate pre-season games and even worse opposing fans enjoying a win at our house, that just sucks. So if we are not really playing to win, will suck to go
Curious who do you replace to tunsil with?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Board's been getting pretty lazy past 6 weeks or so
holidays, you know things start to slip a little bit like waistline, work productivity, remembering when you were supposed to be with your wife and when with your girlfriend, The Alibi your boss gave you for his wife and girlfriend. How much you told the pastor you were going to increase your tithe to.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Your thoughts if Texans lose next two games? Will your view be different if Texans rest starters or play them this Sunday?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Roderick Johnson could play LT if Tunsil rests. I think he is a ok backup and LT seemed his more natural side although he can play swing
I definitely agree with you but he can not beat out Clark at right tackle so I'm not sure what would happen. I would not be surprised if Clark is Shuffle to the left and Johnson place at right tackle.

Grams

Veteran
Your thoughts if Texans lose next two games? Will your view be different if Texans rest starters or play them this Sunday?
I don't think it matters who plays. The only thing that has been consistent all year is their w/l statistic. We have had several opportunities this year to have already taken the #2 seed and failed to do so with losses to crappy teams. I don't think it is worth it to lose a DW4 or Dhop in a mostly meaningless game for us.

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
So basically help the Titans make it to the playoffs by not playing our main guys. And also bump establishing some much needed momentum going into the playoffs.

Man our fan base is confusing.

then Watson breaks his leg....................... confusing enough for you? :d

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So basically help the Titans make it to the playoffs by not playing our main guys. And also bump establishing some much needed momentum going into the playoffs.

Man our fan base is confusing.
I'm not a big believer in momentum, at least not for the Texans. We beat the Pats for the first time in almost a decade and then turn around and lose to the Broncos. Momentum means nothing to this team, I'd rather we use this as a mini bye week and rest guys. Give the starters a quarter or two just so they keep their edge then pull them. We already beat the Tits when they were red hot so we know it can be done even if they get in the playoffs.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
LOL @ all you guys thinking Bill OBrien will actually do something sensible. He will play his guys at least a half of football. Should he? Im indifferent. If guys are going to get hurt, then its going to happen regardless. Karmic Intervention. Whats better Deshaun gets hurt game 17 or Playoff game 1? Its all the same really.

All I know is that beating a team 3 times in a season is hard as hell. I'd like to NOT have to play Tennessee in Round 1 if I could avoid it, and would rather take my chances vs a Buffalo team who has had an easy schedule and plays a similar style of football that we do, with a much less dynamic QB.

BTW tell the 2012 Baltimore Ravens that you're not a "big believer in momentum" ... that team is the shining example of what can happen if you get hot at the right time and have a little luck.

banned1976

sleeper mode
LOL @ all you guys thinking Bill OBrien will actually do something sensible. He will play his guys at least a half of football. Should he? Im indifferent. If guys are going to get hurt, then its going to happen regardless. Karmic Intervention. Whats better Deshaun gets hurt game 17 or Playoff game 1? Its all the same really.

All I know is that beating a team 3 times in a season is hard as hell. I'd like to NOT have to play Tennessee in Round 1 if I could avoid it, and would rather take my chances vs a Buffalo team who has had an easy schedule and plays a similar style of football that we do, with a much less dynamic QB.

BTW tell the 2012 Baltimore Ravens that you're not a "big believer in momentum" ... that team is the shining example of what can happen if you get hot at the right time and have a little luck.
The last four games of the regular season for that Baltimore team: L-W-L-W.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Now you’re being too damn extreme. Smh lol
Not if Clark and Johnson are your starting tackles. If that’s the case, might as well treat this as a pre season game even if the 3 seed is there for the taking.

And I’m all for playing for the 3 seed if it’s there. But if it’s going to be a line with not even Tunsil on it, that’s really increasing the risks to DW4.

Uncle Rico

The last four games of the regular season for that Baltimore team: L-W-L-W.

edit: and on second glance that Ravens team had actually lost 4/5 games to end the season!!

13December 2Pittsburgh SteelersL 20–239–3M&T Bank StadiumRecap
14December 9at Washington RedskinsL 28–31 (OT)9–4FedExFieldRecap
15December 16Denver BroncosL 17–349–5M&T Bank StadiumRecap
16December 23New York GiantsW 33–1410–5M&T Bank StadiumRecap
17December 30at Cincinnati BengalsL 17–2310–6Paul Brown StadiumRecap
Note: Intra-division opponents are in bold text.

and then they went on to run the table in the playoffs with incredible play by a guy named Jacoby Jones.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm still not certain why everyone's excited about the playoffs. I guess getting there is nice, but never going anywhere once you get there is old.

Uncle Rico

Not if Clark and Johnson are your starting tackles. If that’s the case, might as well treat this as a pre season game even if the 3 seed is there for the taking.

And I’m all for playing for the 3 seed if it’s there. But if it’s going to be a line with not even Tunsil on it, that’s really increasing the risks to DW4.
Davenport and Giacomini were your tackles for a full year - Deshaun didnt break his leg. Deshuan tore his knee up on an original play vs Seattle where the RB missed a block (as usual for this team) and he completed the tear in practice - im sure you remember.

My first football coach would tell me that the guys who get hurt are the guys who arent going 100% all the time on the field. I tend to agree with him, and dont pay as much attention to the "load management" that other guys would like to employ.

This team (particularly the offensive unit) does not deserve any games off, they have looked like a steaming pile of horseshit for a month now, and they need every opportunity to head into the playoffs on a positive note.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Davenport and Giacomini were your tackles for a full year - Deshaun didnt break his leg.
Well, he had Davenport and Lamm last year and nearly lost a lung. Injury can happen at any time no matter who's on the field, but why increase the risk with a less than optimal line?

This team (particularly the offensive unit) does not deserve any games off, they have looked like a steaming pile of horseshit for a month now, and they need every opportunity to head into the playoffs on a positive note.
One last game isn't going to magically fix that.

Uncle Rico

Well, he had Davenport and Lamm last year and nearly lost a lung. Injury can happen at any time no matter who's on the field, but why increase the risk with a less than optimal line?

One last game isn't going to magically fix that.
Cant play scared. Deshaun popped his lung trying to outrun Jaylen Smith and diving to the pylon - it was a result of many factors, none of which were offensive line related.

Magically "fix" - no of course not ... get on the same page and offer a semblance of continuity and tempo? Maybe. Offense is alot of timing. OBrien requires alot of read and react from his players. Another game after HOPEFULLY watching film and identifying the play killers and implementing a contingency to be used IN GAME would be helpful if doing so during game speed.

In the "Rest vs Rust" argument I always sway the way of rust. What is one more week of rest going to do especially for a team that has been as dysfunctional lately? If the offense had been taking care of business and clicking on all cylinders I may be more inclined to rest players, but not this team.

austins23

Hall of Fame
KC loses at noon, OB has to play for the three seed. You have to get every advantage possible.
I think that if BOTH the Steelers and Tacks lose, Steelers get the last spot on tiebreakers.

Much rather play Duck than Allan.

But first things first. OB has to get these guys coming out with some pep in the step this playoff game. To me, it always feels like these guys are shaking off a hangover the first 7 or 8 minutes of the game.

Duke has got to be involved WAY more in the passing game. Get the run game out in the edges more. This pound it up the middle for no gain or a yard is old and stale.

Hopefully McKinney will be back and healthy. The defense will have to turn the fied around with a turnover. Allan might be susceptible to a pick trying to do too much. If it’s 3rd and 16, get off the damn field!! Don’t let them convert those, those are killers.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Cant play scared. Deshaun popped his lung trying to outrun Jaylen Smith and diving to the pylon - it was a result of many factors, none of which were offensive line related.

Magically "fix" - no of course not ... get on the same page and offer a semblance of continuity and tempo? Maybe. Offense is alot of timing. OBrien requires alot of read and react from his players. Another game after HOPEFULLY watching film and identifying the play killers and implementing a contingency to be used IN GAME would be helpful if doing so during game speed.

In the "Rest vs Rust" argument I always sway the way of rust. What is one more week of rest going to do especially for a team that has been as dysfunctional lately? If the offense had been taking care of business and clicking on all cylinders I may be more inclined to rest players, but not this team.
Agreed about you can't play scared. It's why I want them going full tilt if the 3 seed is still alive. But there's a difference in not playing scared and having lesser talent on the field increasing the risk of injury. At the end of the day, regardless of who's on the schedule next week, the Texans have no shot if #4 is not on the field. In that sense, this game Sunday doesn't mean much.

Yeah, I want the 3 seed, and I want them playing to get it. But if a bunch of guys with nagging injuries are just going to sit out and get a little healthier for the playoffs, then I don't think I want to see Watson out there risking it with lesser talent on the field.

The Titans are going to be playing balls to the wall. They control their own destiny and I'm sure they don't want to leave it up to somebody else having to lose to make the playoffs. If the Texans aren't out there with that same intensity, that increases injury risk too.

I don't think 1 more game is going to make much difference in any continuity, tempo or whatever. This late in the season though, when everyone is banged up, I do think the rest would be more beneficial. Worried about the Texans looking rusty if they rest? Hell, they do that at the start of every damn game they play.