Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 1...Monday Night Football...New Orleans Saints!

ghostlight

Veteran
I'm a bit more optimistic knowing that our team is going into the game 100% healthy. We might be surprised at the RB production by games end.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Had a dream that Watson gets hurt (dislocated throwing shoulder probably career ending) early in the game and is lost for the season. McNair says it’s not his fault and his job is safe. OB proceeds to tank the entire year hoping to get the number one overall pick without realizing he’d given it away. In an interview O’Brien say it’s still good value because the first pick in the second round round is basically a first round pick. One pick before our pick there is a very good QB prospect that has surprisingly fallen but instead of trading up to ensure him OB trades the pick along with JJ Watt for teddy bridgewater. When asked if he got fair value O’Brien responds, we do!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
MUCH improved? How are they much improved? I'll give you Tunsil, but he's just 1 man. We may like the rookies but they're still rookies that are going to make rookie mistakes. And then you still have Martin likely starting at C.

Hard to say the defense is much improved because Clowney is not there any more. If anything, they just got worse. No idea if the additions in the secondary are better or worse than what they had before, and JJo is a year older regardless.

It doesn't bother me for anyone to think the Texans can win, but going out on that much improved limb, I just don't see it....yet.
With the additions of Laremy Tunsil, Max Scharping, Tytus Howard and Roderick Johnson to the offensive line, that unit just got allot better. They should offer much better protection for Watson and better run blocking. Even if they grade out as just average or middle of the pack that's a huge improvement over last year.
Then there's Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde. Stills is a true #2 receiver that is durable. Coutee and Fuller are going into the season healthy. That's true but for how long? Stills adds real insurance against any drop off should either of those 2 go down. Let's hope they don't and if they stay healthy, this is one of the most dangerous passing attacks in the game. In the running game, Duke and Hyde are definite upgrades to Miller and who ever was behind him. Especially in the passing game.
All of that is why I say much improved. They are.
Losing Clowney hurts. Sure. But really only on his side in the running game. He was good at setting the edge. News flash! So is Mercilus. He'll be on one side and Watt will be on the other. The middle has a formidable group of guys against the run as well in DJ Reader, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson, Bernardrick McKinney and Zach Cunningham. They'll be just fine against the run. The corner is the question and at first look, it appears that group is much improved as well with the additions of Cornell Armstrong, Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen and the rookie Lonnie Johnson. These guys should be above average against the pass. The Addition of safeties Tashaun Gipson and Jahleel Addae should definitely solidify the secondary.
So yes. This team is much improved at the weak positions over last year. By far.

Last edited:

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Tweet from @TexansVoice: Getting ready for New Orleans - dressing NRG up a bit like the Superdome. https://t.co/JR3Fj7qzq6
I hope those gimmicks work.

*fingers crossed*

I wasn’t amped up for the season. But I’m so intrigued with OBs ability to put a good team on the field. Can’t stand the guy as a coach but if he makes my Texans a good team I will be first in line to sing his praise. Next Thursday is going to be lit...

Hopefully they don’t come out looking like ass or that will rekindle the extreme disdain. You’ve got your shot to energize the fan base OB. Don’t screw this up.

Please.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Had a dream that Watson gets hurt (dislocated throwing shoulder probably career ending) early in the game and is lost for the season. McNair says it’s not his fault and his job is safe. OB proceeds to tank the entire year hoping to get the number one overall pick without realizing he’d given it away. In an interview O’Brien say it’s still good value because the first pick in the second round round is basically a first round pick. One pick before our pick there is a very good QB prospect that has surprisingly fallen but instead of trading up to ensure him OB trades the pick along with JJ Watt for teddy bridgewater. When asked if he got fair value O’Brien responds, we do!
Why would you possibly want to interject bad mojo like that on our team? A dream like that should be suppressed way down, forgotten and never mentioned. You should change this post as soon as possible to keep anything bad from happening to Watson. Not good sir. Not good at all.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
With the additions of Laremy Tunsil, Max Scharping, Tytus Howard and Roderick Johnson to the offensive line, that unit just got allot better. They should offer much better protection for Watson and better run blocking. Even if they grade out as just average or middle of the pack that's a huge improvement over last year.
Then there's Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde. Stills is a true #2 receiver that is durable. Coutee and Fuller are going into the season healthy. That's true but for how long? Stills adds real insurance against any drop off should either of those 2 go down. Let's hope they don't and if they stay healthy, this is one of the most dangerous passing attacks in the game. In the running game, Duke and Hyde are definite upgrades to Miller and who ever was behind him. Especially in the passing game.
Losing Clowney hurts. Sure. But really only on his side in the running game. He was good at setting the edge. News flash! So is Mercilus. He'll be on one side and Watt will be on the other. The middle has a formidable group of guys against the run as well in DJ Reader, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson, Bernardrick McKinney and Zach Cunningham. They'll be just fine against the run. The corner is the question and at first look, it appears that group is much improved as well with the additions of Cornell Armstrong, Bradley Roby, Keion Crossen and the rookie Lonnie Johnson. These guys should be above average against the pass. The Addition of safeties Tashaun Gipson and Jahleel Addae should definitely solidify the secondary.
So yes. This team is much improved at the weak positions over last year. By far.

So no excuses if/when Bill O'Brien continues to suck dick then?

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
So we got a Lousy coach
So we a lousy GM
So we mortgage the future for this year........... BUT YOU KNOW WHAT........... FVCK THE SAINTS.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were damn Texans! WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mangler

Toro de España
:howdy:Not funny!

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Some of ya'll motherfuckers have gone off the deep end, yeesh.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Got to get some film as a unit before saying they got a lot better. No more vanilla action either so the real heat will be on starting next Monday.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Got to get some film as a unit before saying they got a lot better. No more vanilla action either so the real heat will be on starting next Monday.
Well Bill has the horses. He just needs to turn em loose and let those boys play.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Sorry, bud. I just don't see it like that...at least yet. Tunsil is 1 player of 5. I can agree he, himself makes the OL 20% better, but the rest are the same guys we've had plus 2 rookies. Those rookies might get better over the course of the year, but I expect them to be rookies in these first few games.

Did the RB situation get better? Are any of those guys an improvement over Miller? I'll give you Duke being an upgrade over Alfred Blue, but none of them are significant upgrades over Miller.

At WR, yeah we've got Nuk and F5 back on the field together, and if they can stay that way then I ecpect they'll put up numbers. Can't expect Stills to be involved too much in this 1st game, which is the game we're talking about here. And of course Coutee is doubtful.

The defense no longer has Clowney. You can say what you want about his sack totals, he had a much greater impact than just those numbers. There isn't anybody currently on the Texans roster you're going to get to duplicate what he gave you at that position. Mercilus had the breakout year 4 years ago, but hasn't done much since and is damn near a ghost most Sunday's. Maybe moving him to JACK and it being a contract year for him gets him going, but yet to be determined. Brennan Scarlett? Eh.

As for Reader, Dunn, Blackson, BMac, all those players you mentioned, they were all here last year. Much improved? I wouldn't go that far. Of course anyone can have a breakout year.

JJ will still be a force, but he wasn't the same guy before all the injuries. His QB hits were way down from where we're used to seeing them. But in the 3 plays we got to see him in this pre-season, he looked like a caged animal ready to terrorize.

And then there's the secondary. JJo is 35. We have no idea what we've got with Roby, Gipson, LJ yet. I don't see how you consider that much improved when you haven't even seen anyone play yet. But they will get tested right out of the gate, that's for sure.

And Cornell Armstrong and Keion Crossen? Really? I'm surprised you didn't mention Jacob Martin and Keke Mingo being factors. What, no love for BJ Bello? If any of those guys are seeing significant defensive snaps we're screwed.

frethack

Rookie
Just adding Stills makes us better than last year. Instant replacement if Fuller or Coutee miss time. May even allow the Texans to let those guys heal & not rush them back.
Not to mention, when theyre all healthy, we have a lot of REAL speed on the field...and both Fuller and Stills are crafty route runners. Imagining four wide packages with Hopkins, Fuller, Stills and Johnson (Duke of course...not #80!)

txtx

Waterboy
I think it will be a little miracle if they can win this game, & it's MNF. BoB better be prepared for this one & stop running inside every 2nd down. lol
This will be the plan, I'd bet. Gotta slow Brees down by going into our shell.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
I'm just gonna say, "Correct", and that one word response should, could and likely will be interpreted five different ways.

That said.. this game will do nothing but strengthen the resolve of what people have already relegated themselves to thinking anyway so, here's making some positive strides and building 'our team's confidence level' moving forward regardless of what the pessimist pricks think.

After all.. it's up to the team to play, not the fans running their mouths and typing til their fingers bleed, that will decide their fate this year and one game will not dictate that outcome by any stretch.

Go Texans!

Sonny

TexSon Proud
I'm just gonna say, "Correct", and that one word response should, could and likely will be interpreted five different ways.

That said.. this game will do nothing but strengthen the resolve of what people have already relegated themselves to thinking anyway so, here's to making some positive strides and building 'our team's confidence level' moving forward regardless of what the pessimistic pricks think.

After all.. it's up to the team to play, not the fans running their mouths and typing til their fingers bleed, that will decide their fate this year and one game will not dictate that outcome by any stretch.

Go Texans!

mussop

Hall of Fame
There is a lot of crap said here but it’s mostly been in context. That post is just Wild West . It needs to get bumped until these whiner battering rams get toned down.
You think it’s bad now wait until we get our asses handed to us Monday. You might as well take a vacation from here for a while after the game as sensitive as you are.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That said.. this game will do nothing but strengthen the resolve of what people have already relegated themselves to thinking anyway so, here's making some positive strides and building 'our team's confidence level' moving forward regardless of what the pessimist pricks think.
I completely expect them to come out like they did against Dallas in the preseason. Because: BO'b.

One goofy, shouldn't have happened moment after another.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
We differ on opinions
Sorry, bud. I just don't see it like that...at least yet. Tunsil is 1 player of 5. I can agree he, himself makes the OL 20% better, but the rest are the same guys we've had plus 2 rookies. Those rookies might get better over the course of the year, but I expect them to be rookies in these first few games.

Did the RB situation get better? Are any of those guys an improvement over Miller? I'll give you Duke being an upgrade over Alfred Blue, but none of them are significant upgrades over Miller.

At WR, yeah we've got Nuk and F5 back on the field together, and if they can stay that way then I ecpect they'll put up numbers. Can't expect Stills to be involved too much in this 1st game, which is the game we're talking about here. And of course Coutee is doubtful.

The defense no longer has Clowney. You can say what you want about his sack totals, he had a much greater impact than just those numbers. There isn't anybody currently on the Texans roster you're going to get to duplicate what he gave you at that position. Mercilus had the breakout year 4 years ago, but hasn't done much since and is damn near a ghost most Sunday's. Maybe moving him to JACK and it being a contract year for him gets him going, but yet to be determined. Brennan Scarlett? Eh.

As for Reader, Dunn, Blackson, BMac, all those players you mentioned, they were all here last year. Much improved? I wouldn't go that far. Of course anyone can have a breakout year.

JJ will still be a force, but he wasn't the same guy before all the injuries. His QB hits were way down from where we're used to seeing them. But in the 3 plays we got to see him in this pre-season, he looked like a caged animal ready to terrorize.

And then there's the secondary. JJo is 35. We have no idea what we've got with Roby, Gipson, LJ yet. I don't see how you consider that much improved when you haven't even seen anyone play yet. But they will get tested right out of the gate, that's for sure.

And Cornell Armstrong and Keion Crossen? Really? I'm surprised you didn't mention Jacob Martin and Keke Mingo being factors. What, no love for BJ Bello? If any of those guys are seeing significant defensive snaps we're screwed.
We differ in opinion on certain players. I see upgrades. You don't. I do see improvement. You don't. I'm not going to see it your way. That's ok. We'll see soon enough.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We differ on opinions

We differ in opinion on certain players. I see upgrades. You don't. I do see improvement. You don't. I'm not going to see it your way. That's ok. We'll see soon enough.
Didn’t say I don’t see improvement. I just don’t see being MUCH improved.

Other than Tunsil who is MUCH improved over anybody they would have put there, the rest is just marginal improvement at best, negated by the loss of Clowney.

But you’re right, we will see soon enough.

Mangler

Toro de España
So when does DW4 got to BOB and say, "Hold my Beer"
Sometime when we’re down by a field goal, with only 17 seconds seconds left on the clock, and instead of looking for a check down to a TE, or taking off for a few yards with the defense on Man coverage, he scrambles left to right looking for a TD.

But, I hope he doesn’t do this. AGAIN!