Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Free Agency

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
A source informs me that Raiders have just cut their Pro Bowl Center. Maybe we should have saved the money we gave our new starter for him?
If the Texans were attempting to compete, I’d agree. But there’s no reason to bring in a 30 something center for a team that’s tanking. Which is why the Cannon trade was senseless.

Except, Cannon is a Friend of Jack.

michaelm

vox nihili
Question for all of you who are more knowledgeable about free agency and contracts than I am.
What is the likelihood of some/many of these recent one year signings to get cut before the season, from a contractual perspective?
Is it possible that some of these signings are made with the knowledge that a lot of them will be cut?

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If the Texans were attempting to compete, I’d agree. But there’s no reason to bring in a 30 something center for a team that’s tanking. Which is why the Cannon trade was senseless.

Except, Cannon is a Friend of Jack.
Could be Caserio values protecting a new young drafted QB. We've seen what happens to a young QB that's not protected properly.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I see complaints of overpaying for some of the acquisitions. Please stop.
We don't know what all happened behind the scenes.
E.g., Texans may have had to compete with other teams offers.
Keep in mind this is a limited market and Texans have little cap space and a lot of holes.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Is it possible that some of these signings are made with the knowledge that a lot of them will be cut?
Well, they all got some sort of signing bonus. That's dead money if cut. But sure, some of these guys will stink and not make the roster. They're older and may get injured in camp. Every team signs some of these guys. Just not at the volume Caserio is bringing them in.
Plus 1 yr deals aren't really overpayments
Aren't you the guy that was complaining about the Texans not being able to rollover excess cap $$$?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind this is a limited market and Texans have little cap space and a lot of holes.
You know for a fact that NC had to compete for all these signings?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You know, if we’re losing these guys to other teams, are we really losing? There’s better, cheaper ways to fill holes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, they all got some sort of signing bonus. That's dead money if cut. But sure, some of these guys will stink and not make the roster. They're older and may get injured in camp. Every team signs some of these guys. Just not at the volume Caserio is bringing them in.

Aren't you the guy that was complaining about the Texans not being able to rollover excess cap $$$?
Yes, but that ship passed in the night at last yrs trade deadline. I'm fine with cheap 1 yr deals. Obviously you're not.

michaelm

vox nihili
Someone posted a link to an article that said the current number of player acquisitions is 23 so far, including FA signings and trades.

What's the record? Caserio is gunning for it apparently

Edit to add a link to the article (via ArlingtonTexan)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Question for all of you who are more knowledgeable about free agency and contracts than I am.
What is the likelihood of some/many of these recent one year signings to get cut before the season, from a contractual perspective?
Maybe not before but during is a possibility if not probability. One exhibit
Someone posted a link to an article that said the current number of player acquisitions is 23 so far, including FA signings and trades.

So.. Almost 50 % turnover, sounds like rebuild to me.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I don't know the record, but Jon Gruden had 33 new guys on the actual final 53-man roster when he took over for the Raiders in 2018.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Agreed. But mostly it's been us tossing out our has-beens and signing other folks has-beens.
That's to be expected b/c Caserio inherited a complete and utter shite-show. He's having to do the housecleaning and with the cap situation, these were the moves he needed to make while dumping as many bad contracts and dead weight as possible. The good thing, almost everyone signed this season could literally be dumped next season with little to no impact. This gives Caserio the breathing room to try and make the 2021 and 2022 drafts a hit on talent. I don't kid myself as to what's going to happen over the next 2 seasons b/c 2023 will be the season to gauge what Caserio accomplished over the previous 2 seasons.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
That's to be expected b/c Caserio inherited a complete and utter shite-show. He's having to do the housecleaning and with the cap situation, these were the moves he needed to make while dumping as many bad contracts and dead weight as possible. The good thing, almost everyone signed this season could literally be dumped next season with little to no impact. This gives Caserio the breathing room to try and make the 2021 and 2022 drafts a hit on talent. I don't kid myself as to what's going to happen over the next 2 seasons b/c 2023 will be the season to gauge what Caserio accomplished over the previous 2 seasons.
We do need to give the new regime more than just one year to recover from the horrors of OB's mismanagement, that's for sure. There's not a lot that can be reasonably done in 2021 anyway without the ability to trade Watson for draft picks, which is probably out of the question now.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We do need to give the new regime more than just one year to recover from the horrors of OB's mismanagement, that's for sure. There's not a lot that can be reasonably done in 2021 anyway without the ability to trade Watson for draft picks, which is probably out of the question now.
We just look at each of his moves and see how it turns out individually.
Right now, they don't look too bad overall, but they don't seem to be all that great either.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I think it’s more the current players on the roster get cut and Caserio is replacing them. Roster turnover.
These new players were all signed to 1 or 2 year deals to change the locker room and get out of the old mentality.
New HC. New GM. New players. New culture.

The schedule should not be too tough next season and while I am not blown away by any of the moves we made so far I can still see us winning a few more games next season than we did last season.

At least I am hoping for some marked improvement. Hopefully even when we lose we are competitive.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly.

I agree with you. Caserio is acting like he expects this team to compete in 2021.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Exactly.

I agree with you. Caserio is acting like he expects this team to compete in 2021.

I agree. First time NFL GM and HC after a long wait to get there they did not take this job to purposefully tank.

I do have a question for the experts on the NFL compensatory pick formula:

With all of these players signed to 1 year deals could that mean we can get a compensatory pick for any of our "hits" that gain meaningful playing time and sign elsewhere the following season?

It would be a shrewd maneuver by Caserio if he signed lets say 10 new starters this offseason that walk and we get 7 extra picks ranging from 3-7 round in the following draft!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree. First time NFL GM and HC after a long wait to get there they did not take this job to purposefully tank.

With all of these players signed to 1 year deals could that mean we can get a compensatory pick for any of our "hits" that gain meaningful playing time and sign elsewhere the following season?

It would be a shrewd maneuver by Caserio if he signed lets say 10 new starters this offseason that walk and we get 7 extra picks ranging from 3-7 round in the following draft!
For the upcoming draft, Will Fuller is probably the only one that might return a comp pick, but that could be offset by a few guys recently signed.

Next year, the Texans are likely to sign a few high-dollar FAs themselves, I doubt that the FAs that they lost can make up for it.

Max

Veteran
Can someone summarize who of the new acquisitions are 'good' players that can expect to see significant playing time? I've lost track.

badboy

Hall of Fame

An NFL team can receive only four compensatory picks in a season. Comp picks begin at end of round three. Hope this helps?

badboy

Hall of Fame
For the upcoming draft, Will Fuller is probably the only one that might return a comp pick, but that could be offset by a few guys recently signed.

Next year, the Texans are likely to sign a few high-dollar FAs themselves, I doubt that the FAs that they lost can make up for it.
I'm hopeful that Nick Caserio going forward will sign very few if any high-dollar free agents.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Exactly.

“Acting like” may be the operative term. I think the bizillion signings may be for an audience of one. For someone who doesn’t really understand personnel, it may seem like Caserio is trying to improve the roster. Those in the know realize he’s stockpiling the roster with subpar talent to ensure a 2021 tank.

It’s kinda brilliant. If he were doing it right.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Lol at this tanking crap. Wow haven’t played a game yet, no OTA’ , mini camps or anything yet. But they’re tanking.
Well LOL at thinking they’ll matter much next year. See how that works? LOL at thinking Caserio signing anything that moves means this team is stacked now. Man, there’s going to be competition.

THERE’S ALWAYS COMPETITION !!!

90 guys compete to make the 53 every damn year. Every damn year we hear how much competition there is, guys that are having greats camps, and then those guys get cut, and the team looks like they’ve never touched a football come week 1. At the very least I do expect that to change with a new staff, but you never know.

They very well could have a better team overall, BUT THE BAR ISN'T VERY HIGH!! And #4 very likely won’t be the QB. You can pump up Tyrod Taylor all you want, but he’s Tyrod Taylor. He’s been in the league 10 years. He is who he is. Yeah, he was the QB when the Bills made the playoffs for the 1st time in 18 years, but that offense was one of the worst in the league, 29th overall and 31st passing.

You have hope because a thousand moves have been made, great. Maybe their flipping the roster in hopes of sparking interest back up in the fan base is working....on some. Me? Ima need a little more than roster filler and a couple of potentials here and there. Where’s the play makers? I do like the Lindsay add, but you know they're going to give DJ every opportunity they can. Ingram is a decent add, but he's 11 years in and was being phased out last year. Ryan Izzo, Donte Moncrief?

On defense King is a good add, immediately makes them better than they were, but that’s only because they had nothing back there. And he hasn't done much since his All Pro season 3 years ago. Lawson is certainly no replacement for Watt, and hasn't had more than 6.5 sacks in a season. There's still no play makers on this team.

Again, it won’t take much to improve overall, but we’re talking being better than the garbage they were. That ain’t saying much.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to shoot down what Caserio has done thus far, though there are some head scratchers, but I understand where he's starting from here, and how little he's got to work with. But I'm far from naming him EOTY because he's flipping over the old roster filler with roster filler of his own.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
“Acting like” may be the operative term. I think the bizillion signings may be for an audience of one. For someone who doesn’t really understand personnel, it may seem like Caserio is trying to improve the roster. Those in the know realize he’s stockpiling the roster with subpar talent to ensure a 2021 tank.

The money he is spending on these players, either he thinks they can play, or he’s as clueless in valuation as O’Brien & Easterby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

He's doing it right.

He just values Tunsil/Cooks as long term pieces more than you do.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well LOL at thinking they’ll matter much next year. See how that works? LOL at thinking Caserio signing anything that moves means this team is stacked now. Man, there’s going to be competition.

THERE’S ALWAYS COMPETITION !!!

90 guys compete to make the 53 every damn year. Every damn year we hear how much competition there is, guys that are having greats camps, and then those guys get cut, and the team looks like they’ve never touched a football come week 1. At the very least I do expect that to change with a new staff, but you never know.

They very well could have a better team overall, BUT THE BAR ISN'T VERY HIGH!! And #4 very likely won’t be the QB. You can pump up Tyrod Taylor all you want, but he’s Tyrod Taylor. He’s been in the league 10 years. He is who he is. Yeah, he was the QB when the Bills made the playoffs for the 1st time in 18 years, but that offense was one of the worst in the league, 29th overall and 31st passing.

You have hope because a thousand moves have been made, great. Maybe their flipping the roster in hopes of sparking interest back up in the fan base is working....on some. Me? Ima need a little more than roster filler and a couple of potentials here and there. Where’s the play makers? I do like the Lindsay add, but you know they're going to give DJ every opportunity they can. Ingram is a decent add, but he's 11 years in and was being phased out last year. Ryan Izzo, Donte Moncrief?

On defense King is a good add, immediately makes them better than they were, but that’s only because they had nothing back there. And he hasn't done much since his All Pro season 3 years ago. Lawson is certainly no replacement for Watt, and hasn't had more than 6.5 sacks in a season. There's still no play makers on this team.

Again, it won’t take much to improve overall, but we’re talking being better than the garbage they were. That ain’t saying much.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to shoot down what Caserio has done thus far, though there are some head scratchers, but I understand where he's starting from here, and how little he's got to work with. But I'm far from naming him EOTY because he's flipping over the old roster filler with roster filler of his own.
Like I've said, this yr is going to be bad. Luckily there will be a purging of the cap next offseason and plenty of cap space, with a full compliment ofdraft picks to work with. I see DW4 as gone so the biggest part of the rebuild is hitting on a new QB, whether that's this yr or next yr in the draft.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I read that the Texans offered a contract to Marvin Jones (who turned it down and went to the Jags).

They also brought in Chris Conley for a visit (who left without a contract).

It appears they are looking to sign another WR to compete. Another to look out for with similar size (though not nearly as fast as Conley) is Josh Reynolds. Who could be reunited with Cooks to form a Rams reunion at WR. Add in Cobb/Coutee as the slot threat and there is a decent WR room.

Of course they have to be willing to take the 3-4 million/year Caserio is presumably offering...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I read that the Texans offered a contract to Marvin Jones (who turned it down and went to the Jags).

It appears they are looking to sign another WR to compete. Another to look out for with similar size (though not nearly as fast as Conley) is Josh Reynolds. Who could be reunited with Cooks to form a Rams reunion at WR. Add in Cobb/Coutee as the slot threat and there is a decent WR room.

Of course they have to be willing to take the 3-4 million/year Caserio is presumably offering...
I would rather draft a guy like Terry in the 5th rd.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Cooks is 28.
I don't see how he's long term?
I'd rather move him and let a youngster get a chance, saving some cap space in the process.
While Caserio wasn't taking any calls, I would've package DW4 and Cooks together for a 6500 point value and shipped them out rickytic some time ago saving $63MM in cap space while gaining 7 high rd draft picks. That's how you rebuild.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

It doesn't make sense to me to even look at Jones (age) and Conley (money) with Cooks and Cobb already on the roster.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
It doesn't make sense to me to even look at Jones (age) and Conley (money) with Cooks and Cobb already on the roster.
Marvin Jones offer:

Chris Conley came for a visit per Aaron Wilson on twitter.

I think they fit the mold they are trying to fill (tall, fast X prospect at WR). Assuming new FO/coaching staff views Cooks and Cobb are Z and slot respectively. Conley visited same time as Jenkins who just signed yesterday so after the signings of Moncrief/Erickson/Moore means Caserio is still seeing who wants to play on a 3ish million/year salary.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Marvin Jones offer:

Chris Conley came for a visit per Aaron Wilson on twitter.

I think they fit the mold they are trying to fill (tall, fast X prospect at WR). Assuming new FO/coaching staff views Cooks and Cobb are Z and slot respectively. Conley visited same time as Jenkins who just signed yesterday so after the signings of Moncrief/Erickson/Moore means Caserio is still seeing who wants to play on a 3ish million/year salary.
True, but I don't see a signing the way the market has been going.

frethack

Rookie
While Caserio wasn't taking any calls, I would've package DW4 and Cooks together for a 6500 point value and shipped them out rickytic some time ago saving $63MM in cap space while gaining 7 high rd draft picks. That's how you rebuild.
When Caserio wasn't taking calls, there is a decent chance the Texans knew legal troubles were on the horizon. I don't think Goodell would take kindly to a team shipping out a star player for a boatload of picks when the team may have known a league investigation may happen.

You think (correctly) that the restructures are mortgaging the future? Imagine league sanctions against us for fleecing a team for picks before imminent legal troubles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk