Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Free Agency

What FAs if any are y’all hoping we go after?
I know we cleared some cap space, but I am slightly worried about guys not wanting to sign on here because of all the dysfunction.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
I know we cleared some cap space, but I am slightly worried about guys not wanting to sign on here because of all the dysfunction.
S Malik Hooker, LB Reuben Foster, DL Tyrone Crawford, DL Henry Anderson, TE Gerald Everett...possibly TE David Njoku (possible trade/cut candidate)

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not everyone thinks alike.
There are likely some with a different slant on things here and would not care less if the money was good.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I don't want a single big name FA this year unless its an absolute steal of a contract , my mission is clearing my cap of all the dead weight and going 0-16.
Texans trade Watson and there should be (2) RD1 picks this coming draft. What could be entertaining if executed just right....2022 should have ex: Miamii's RD1 pick, the Texans should have a bad but informative 2021 season which leads them to the 2021 RD1-01 pick. Finally, before the 2022 NFL Draft....I believe the Texans could get out from under Tunsil's contract b/c he'd only have a 6.5M dollar cap hit and should get a pretty decent return in a trade. Maybe he returns to the Texans a 2022 RD1 & 2023 RD1. Pro Bowl LT's will still be in demand and Tunsil would have 2 years left on his contract......makes him a pretty desirable asset.

Texans play their cards right....2021- (2) RD1 (ex: Miami) / 2022- (3) RD1 (Texans, ex: Miami, NYJ) / 2023- (3) RD1 (Texans, ex: Miami, NYJ). Texans could fix a lot of issues with this type of haul.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Texans trade Watson and there should be (2) RD1 picks this coming draft. What could be entertaining if executed just right....2022 should have ex: Miamii's RD1 pick, the Texans should have a bad but informative 2021 season which leads them to the 2021 RD1-01 pick. Finally, before the 2022 NFL Draft....I believe the Texans could get out from under Tunsil's contract b/c he'd only have a 6.5M dollar cap hit and should get a pretty decent return in a trade. Maybe he returns to the Texans a 2022 RD1 & 2023 RD1. Pro Bowl LT's will still be in demand and Tunsil would have 2 years left on his contract......makes him a pretty desirable asset.

Texans play their cards right....2021- (2) RD1 (ex: Miami) / 2022- (3) RD1 (Texans, ex: Miami, NYJ) / 2023- (3) RD1 (Texans, ex: Miami, NYJ). Texans could fix a lot of issues with this type of haul.
If the trade ends up being Miami and involves Tua (who I don’t mind as a holdover with potential upside, but unlikely a long term option) then trade Tunsil this off-season if possible, that money is wasted on a left handed QB.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I don't want a single big name FA this year unless its an absolute steal of a contract , my mission is clearing my cap of all the dead weight and going 0-16.
This is where I am at, just save money, dump contracts, and get set up for future years. We need so many pieces on defense and if DW4 leaves we need a rebuild on offense so why spend any real money. My season tickets are done as far as I am concerned, maybe I will see if I can get a can of corn for my PSLs. Let's see what young core we have, and what the new coaching staff can do to finally develop players and then build the roster

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would avoid Reuben Foster, pending a medical review from CnD. Hooker is more of an "in the box" safety, iirc, so I'm not sure how he would work if Lovie Smith is bringing a Tampa 2 scheme to Houston.

OptimisticTexan

If the trade ends up being Miami and involves Tua (who I don’t mind as a holdover with potential upside, but unlikely a long term option) then trade Tunsil this off-season if possible, that money is wasted on a left handed QB.
Tunsil's cap hit is too rich this off-season but next off-season his cap hit drops to 6.5M which would be a great time to move him b/c the team could easily roll with the hit after the cuts this season.

On the other hand, I stated in another post and got raked for it, an idea that I would like to see if I could pull RT- Isaiah Wilson (Ohio St), a 2021 RD1, and push for a 2022 RD1 or settle for a 2022 RD2 from the Titans for Tunsil. This is more like Tunsil for a RD1 and a RD1 or RD2 with Wilson as a toss-in. Texans get Wilson on the cheap. When he arrives, he's made to understand that he's immediately going to know he's protecting Tua's blindside so he better up his game if he has any desire to remain in the NFL and continue to receive his paychecks. Howard would move to RG in this scenario which could go horribly or wind up being the biggest surprise for all involved.

welsh texan

Tunsil's cap hit is too rich this off-season but next off-season his cap hit drops to 6.5M which would be a great time to move him b/c the team could easily roll with the hit after the cuts this season.

On the other hand, I stated in another post and got raked for it, an idea that I would like to see if I could pull RT- Isaiah Wilson (Ohio St), a 2021 RD1, and push for a 2022 RD1 or settle for a 2022 RD2 from the Titans for Tunsil. This is more like Tunsil for a RD1 and a RD1 or RD2 with Wilson as a toss-in. Texans get Wilson on the cheap. When he arrives, he's made to understand that he's immediately going to know he's protecting Tua's blindside so he better up his game if he has any desire to remain in the NFL and continue to receive his paychecks. Howard would move to RG in this scenario which could go horribly or wind up being the biggest surprise for all involved.
I would be all over Wilson if he is available as a toss in, for a late round pick, or if he gets cut. The guy likes the NFL player lifestyle, so there's a good chance he gets a wake up call if he does get cut. Don't invest too much in getting him and its a high reward deal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not sure if you know but Oklahoma Sooner Creed Humphrey is a left-handed Center and should be available in late round 2 mid round 3

OptimisticTexan

Not sure if you know but Oklahoma Sooner Creed Humphrey is a left-handed Center and should be available in late round 2 mid round 3
Well.....give me Tua in the Watson trade with all the trimmings (picks and X. Howard). Give me, LT- Darrisaw (RD1) and C- Humphrey (RD2) in the draft and RT- Wilson (plus a 2021 RD1 and 2022 RD2) in the trade that sends Tunsil to the Titans.

LT- Darrisaw (R)
LG- Scharping (2 YR Vet)
OC- Humphrey (R)
RG- Howard (1 YR Vet)
RT- Wilson (1 YR Vet / Essentially a R)

This OL is inexpensive, young, and talented. They would need a solid OL Coach and time to become an OL in sync.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well.....give me Tua in the Watson trade with all the trimmings (picks and X. Howard). Give me, LT- Darrisaw (RD1) and C- Humphrey (RD2) in the draft and RT- Wilson (plus a 2021 RD1 and 2022 RD2) in the trade that sends Tunsil to the Titans.

LT- Darrisaw
LG- Scharping
OC- Humphrey
RG- Howard
RT- Wilson

This OL is inexpensive, young, and talented. They would need a solid OL Coach and time to become an OL in sync.
I think this will be a solid draft for the player positions we need if we get the draft picks and I think we can.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you think you've the money? Do you think they would want to join a dumpster fire?
Anzalone yes, pay him a little above league minimum. Sign Van Noy to a 2 yr deal to 10-15% above min and sign Jackson to a 3 yr 30 mil contract that's front loaded and I think you could get all 3.

Cut whoever you have to cut to make it happen. Of course this goes in the face of the tank.

So much rides on what they do with DW4.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Anzalone yes, pay him a little above league minimum. Sign Van Noy to a 2 yr deal to 10-15% above min and sign Jackson to a 3 yr 30 mil contract that's front loaded and I think you could get all 3.

Cut whoever you have to cut to make it happen. Of course this goes in the face of the tank.

So much rides on what they do with DW4.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in FO.
It's hard not knowing if I should be investing time in the draft this year.

banned1976

sleeper mode
To me, the Texans should be taking a deep dive on the quarterbacks. My personal favorite available quarterback for this team is Jacoby Brissett. He was drafted by the Patriots in 2016 so NC is familiar with him. He has a good arm and can run a little bit.

If the Texans were to spend a little bit, I'd look at 26 year old edge rusher Trey Hendrickson.

welsh texan

LT- Darrisaw (R)
LG- Scharping (2 YR Vet)
OC- Humphrey (R)
RG- Howard (1 YR Vet)
RT- Wilson (1 YR Vet / Essentially a R)

I love this so much. New OL/QB get a year with little pressure for rookies to look like rookies and we have cap space and draft picks the following year to begin building a D.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
To me, the Texans should be taking a deep dive on the quarterbacks. My personal favorite available quarterback for this team is Jacoby Brissett. He was drafted by the Patriots in 2016 so NC is familiar with him. He has a good arm and can run a little bit.

If the Texans were to spend a little bit, I'd look at 26 year old edge rusher Trey Hendrickson.
How much did @steelbtexan pay you to post that?

OptimisticTexan

I love this so much. New OL/QB get a year with little pressure for rookies to look like rookies and we have cap space and draft picks the following year to begin building a D.
Bear in mind, the Watson, Cooks, and Tunsil trades would yield enough 2021 (2022) picks along with the Texans picks to not only put this offense on track but they should be able to add some major pieces to the defense.

Miami wants Watson & Cooks
Carolina wants QB
Tennessee wants Tunsil and to dump Wilson
Texans gain QB- Tua (Miami), CB- Howard (Miami), and RT- Wilson (Tennessee)

RD1-03-003: Traded to Carolina RD1-08-008 / RD2-08-040 / 2022 RD2
RD1-08-008: LT Darrisaw- VA Tech (Miami>Carolina)
RD1-18-018: Defense (Miami)
RD1-22-022: Defense (Tennessee)
RD2-03-035: OC Humphrey- Oklahoma (Miami)
RD2-08-040: Defense (Carolina)
RD2-18-050: RB Javonte Williams- North Carolina (Miami)
RD3-03-067: Defense
RD4-03-099+: WR Nico Collins- Michigan
RD4-16-113+: RB Trey Sermon- Clemson
RD5-03-131+: Defense
RD6-03-163+: Defense
RD6-18-177+: Defense
RD6-28-188+: WR Marquez Stevenson- Houston
RD7-03-195+: Defense

(3) RD1 (Miami & Carolina) (Texans RD1 pick could be in the Top 3)
(3) RD2 (Carolina & Tenessee)
(1) RD3-RD7

**Anyone want to bet the Texans couldn't get a QB if Tua flames out?**

(1) RD1-RD7

If Caserio can't build a dominant franchise with this haul and deep cap space.....then Houston, we have a ducking problem.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Bear in mind, the Watson, Cooks, and Tunsil trades would yield enough 2021 (2022 & 2023) picks along with the Texans picks to not only put this offense on track but they should be able to add some major pieces to the defense.

Miami wants Watson & Cooks
Carolina wants QB
Tennessee wants Tunsil and to dump Wilson
Texans gain QB- Tua (Miami), CB- Howard (Miami), and RT- Wilson (Tennessee)

RD1-03-003: Traded to Carolina RD1-08-008 / RD2-08-040 / 2022 RD2
RD1-08-008: LT Darrisaw- VA Tech (Miami>Carolina)
RD1-18-018: Defense (Miami)
RD1-22-022: Defense (Tennessee)
RD2-03-035: Defense (Miami)
RD2-08-040: OC Humphrey- Oklahoma (Carolina)
RD2-18-050: Defense (Miami)
RD3-03-067: RB- Javonte William- North Carolina
RD4-03-099+: WR Nico Collins- Michigan
RD4-16-113+: RB Trey Sermon- Clemson
RD5-03-131+: Defense
RD6-03-163+: Defense
RD6-18-177+: Defense
RD6-28-188+: WR Marquez Stevenson- Houston
RD7-03-195+: Defense

(3) RD1 (Miami & Carolina)
(3) RD2 (Carolina & Tenessee)
(1) RD3-RD7

(2) RD1 (Miami)
(1) RD2-RD7

If Caserio can't build a dominant franchise with this haul and deep cap space.....then Houston, we have a ducking problem.
Its a lot of numbers Opt. but thats a lot of moving parts and people that have to agree to all that.

OptimisticTexan

Its a lot of numbers Opt. but thats a lot of moving parts and people that have to agree to all that.
I think Watson and Cooks to Miami or the NYJ could be a combo either team would be happy to receive since both teams need improvement at WR. Why not bring Watson's favorite target along if the Texans are offering him.

Carolina could be the iffy component in my scenario. They really want to be players in the Watson sweepstakes but I just don't think they could bring enough to the table to unseat the Dolphins or the Jets. But, that wouldn't slow down their pursuit of a new QB. If the Texans are in possession of the 2nd or 3rd pick and are willing to move, I could see a lot of teams making stupid offers for that pick. I went really conservative on the return for that RD1-03 pick. I think the media is beginning to re-build the hype for Fields. By the time the draft gets here, they may have Fields rated as the #2 QB in the draft. Anyhow, if the Texans have the 2nd or 3rd pick....they could really cash in by trading back.

If the Texans decide to move Tunsil, there could be more than a few teams who might be willing to try and work out a trade. The Titans came to mind b/c they're desperate for Wilson to be what he was projected to be and for whatever reason it didn't work. In this scenario, I believe Caserio has to place the call to start the conversation. I'll take Wilson off your hands for Tunsil provided you include a 2021 RD1 and a 2022 RD2. If you feel this is too rich for your taste....I'll be making Tunsil available to the NFL at 0600 tomorrow. Let me know if you'd like to avoid the bidding war.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think Watson and Cooks to Miami or the NYJ could be a combo either team would be happy to receive since both teams need improvement at WR. Why not bring Watson's favorite target along if the Texans are offering him.

Carolina could be the iffy component in my scenario. They really want to be players in the Watson sweepstakes but I just don't think they could bring enough to the table to unseat the Dolphins or the Jets. But, that wouldn't slow down their pursuit of a new QB. If the Texans are in possession of the 2nd or 3rd pick and are willing to move, I could see a lot of teams making stupid offers for that pick. I went really conservative on the return for that RD1-03 pick. I think the media is beginning to re-build the hype for Fields. By the time the draft gets here, they may have Fields rated as the #2 QB in the draft. Anyhow, if the Texans have the 2nd or 3rd pick....they could really cash in by trading back.

If the Texans decide to move Tunsil, there could be more than a few teams who might be willing to try and work out a trade. The Titans came to mind b/c they're desperate for Wilson to be what he was projected to be and for whatever reason it didn't work. In this scenario, I believe Caserio has to place the call to start the conversation. I'll take Wilson off your hands for Tunsil provided you include a 2021 RD1 and a 2022 RD2. If you feel this is too rich for your taste....I'll be making Tunsil available to the NFL at 0600 tomorrow. Let me know if you'd like to avoid the bidding war.
Couple of issues I see, one if Carolina values the QBs in this draft enough why not try to make a deal with Miami or NY themselves. Yeah none of the teams would get Watson but they also wouldn't have to give up anywhere near as much. Two I don't see the tits giving a division rival anything that would make us better. Even if they are in the market for a LT there are other opinions they can pursue that doesn't risk coming back to bite them. Also Tunsil's contract is a pretty big cap hit so Texans would have to eat some of that to make any deal happen.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in FO.
It's hard not knowing if I should be investing time in the draft this year.
Just a guess, but you are probably only missing a lot of spit bubble competitions and a lot of "Woo woo, here comes the choo choo" sounds.

Hopefully I have to eat crow... but.... Im not stocking up on hot sauce any time soon.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Here’s my wish list.

Defense:

Leonard Williams DE
Shaquil Barrett Edge
Carl Lawson Edge
Dalvin Tomlinson NT
Matt Milano LB
William Jackson CB
Ronald Darby CB

Offense:

Andy Dalton or Tyrod Taylor QB ( that’s if Watson sits )
Ty Hilton Wr ( dreaming)
Curtis Samuel Wr
Aaron Jones RB
Marlon Mack RB
Kenyon Drake RB
Brandon Scherff OG
Daryl Williams OT

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

If a Watson trade nets me the #2 pick , I'm taking Zach Wilson. No second thoughts. Either you have your QB or you are looking for him.
If Miami was to offer up enough that I took their deal including #3 its contingent upon Wilson being gone at #2. If he's gone we can wheel and deal.

I just can't see passing on a talent like that thinking I'm going to be picking early next year too .... maybe I'm not picking early or early enough , maybe there's no QB of merit and we're picking Mario Williams or Clowney again.

I guess this boils down to how you really feel about your evaluation of Wilson. If you believe he's legit , you take him given the opportunity , if you have any doubts you go your direction.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If a Watson trade nets me the #2 pick , I'm taking Zach Wilson. No second thoughts. Either you have your QB or you are looking for him.
If Miami was to offer up enough that I took their deal including #3 its contingent upon Wilson being gone at #2. If he's gone we can wheel and deal.

I just can't see passing on a talent like that thinking I'm going to be picking early next year too .... maybe I'm not picking early or early enough , maybe there's no QB of merit and we're picking Mario Williams or Clowney again.

I guess this boils down to how you really feel about your evaluation of Wilson. If you believe he's legit , you take him given the opportunity , if you have any doubts you go your direction.
I’m in agreement here. I want the Texans to draft Zach Wilson. The young man will be a franchise quarterback imo. He might not be as elusive as Watson. But he got some wiggle and wheels on him. He’s also bigger than Watson with a stronger arm.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I’m in agreement here. I want the Texans to draft Zach Wilson. The young man will be a franchise quarterback imo. He might not be as elusive as Watson. But he got some wiggle and wheels on him. He’s also bigger than Watson with a stronger arm.
I don't think there's anyone who's as elusive as Watson. That's what makes him a special player. Wilson has enough mobility of his own and yeah , probably a "stronger" arm and really good accuracy. (that's no knock on Watsons arm , he's more than capable)

I do think Wilson is a more advanced passer coming out of college than Watson was coming out of Clemson's half the field / one read offense.

None of that means Wilson will equal or better Watson .... just that all the tools are there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Here’s my wish list.

Defense:

Leonard Williams DE
Shaquil Barrett Edge
Carl Lawson Edge
Dalvin Tomlinson NT
Matt Milano LB
William Jackson CB
Ronald Darby CB

Offense:

Andy Dalton or Tyrod Taylor QB ( that’s if Watson sits )
Ty Hilton Wr ( dreaming)
Curtis Samuel Wr
Aaron Jones RB
Marlon Mack RB
Kenyon Drake RB
Brandon Scherff OG
Daryl Williams OT
Here's my wish, trade DW4 for a bounty of picks. Sign all FA's to cheap 1 yr deals unless a true bargain can be found. (I like Tyus Bowser on a cheap 3 yr deal) Tank the 2021 season and load up on high draft picks for 2 yrs in a row so that if the Texans hit on their draft picks they will finally have built a solid foundation for the 1st time since the teams inception.

With a new regime and a total rebuild in the future these really should be exciting times. I guess because Caserio comes from the Pats most here aren't even willing to give him a chance before passing judgement. (Not you)

OptimisticTexan

I like Zach Wilson but I was originally Mocking him in the mid rounds. Then like a rocket he just took off and media analyst started singing his praises....and now he's being projected as high as the best QB1 in the draft or no less than the 1B QB1 in the draft.

My concern: COVID-19 changed the entire 2020 CFB season. Zach Wilson really had his break out year, this year. I would've been much more excited about the sudden "best QB1" in the draft talk if he had a bigger a scope of work. Trevor Lawrence delivered in many big games and he displayed his skill-set over multiple successful seasons and did it against top tier opponents.

My concern for Zach Wilson suddenly being rated that high.....is the same reason Mitchell Trubisky was elevated past Mahomes and Watson. Trubisky didn't even go to a junk team.....he got picked by the Bears. Trubisky had nearly all same media hyped attributes that Wilson is getting at the moment. The only difference was even Trubisky got his big season facing better teams than Wilson did. I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzies in regards to Wilson being the best or second best QB in the draft and worth the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft......again, I like him initially when he was projected as a mid-round pick.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I like Zach Wilson but I was originally Mocking him in the mid rounds. Then like a rocket he just took off and media analyst started singing his praises....and now he's being projected as high as the best QB1 in the draft or no less than the 1B QB1 in the draft.

My concern: COVID-19 changed the entire 2020 CFB season. Zach Wilson really had his break out year, this year. I would've been much more excited about the sudden potenially "best QB1" in the draft talk if he had a bigger a scope of work. Trevor Lawrence delivered in many big games and he displayed his skill-set over multiple successful seasons and did it against top tier opponents.

My concern for Zach Wilson suddenly being rated that high.....is the same reason Mitchell Trubisky was elevated past Mahomes and Watson. Trubisky didn't even go to a junk team.....he got picked by the Bears. Trubisky had nearly all same media hyped attributes that Wilson is getting at the moment. The only difference was even Trubisky got his big season facing better teams than Wilson did. I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzies in regards to Wilson being the best or second best QB in the draft and worth the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft......again, I like him initially when he was projected as a mid-round pick.
this is me as well. I like him but not going as high as he’s being projected. This guy saw no pressure, rarely threw into tight windows and has effectively 1 year of work under his belt. The competition he gave also wasn’t stellar. I think he’ll need at min a year on the bench to catch up to NFL speed. That’s not a guy you take #2 or 3 overall and he will most certainly be asked to come in day 1 and be the guy if he goes that high.

badboy

Hall of Fame
this is me as well. I like him but not going as high as he’s being projected. This guy saw no pressure, rarely threw into tight windows and has effectively 1 year of work under his belt. The competition he gave also wasn’t stellar. I think he’ll need at min a year on the bench to catch up to NFL speed. That’s not a guy you take #2 or 3 overall and he will most certainly be asked to come in day 1 and be the guy if he goes that high.
Having said that would you prefer to wait until 2022 to get your franchise QB?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Having said that would you prefer to wait until 2022 to get your franchise QB?
IMO, Top 5 slots are reserved for can't miss prospects only. The Mannings, Orlando Paces & Jonathan Ogdens of the world. clean everything...health, off field and no questions about your size, comp faced and abilities. Day 1 dominance damn near. If you don't meet all of those , you have no business being selected that high.........................................UNLESS you have a set up like the Jets and dolphins where you can use that high pick as a luxury.

But to answer your question, it would depend on where i'm at in the 1st round. If i were a qb needy team picking at 10 i might consider moving up a few slots for him to around 8 or so....If im late 1st round i'm waiting until 2022 unless he drops to me. In all cases though, i'm having him sit a whole year & only under the most dire circumstances is he taking snaps for me in the regular season of 2021.

To me he's not shown to be any better looking as a prospect than Jimmy G was when he came out. & we know Jimmy G went in the very backend of the 2nd.