Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Maybe Coach Whisenhunt knows something GK refuses to acknowledge.
Bush never coached under Whisenhunt. So Whisenhunt can't know more about Bush than Kubiak, who has worked with Bush for 2 years in Houston and 9 seasons in Denver.

I'm willing to give Bush a chance to see what he can do. Kubes has had a good history with his hirings. Well..that is besides Smith.
Considering that Kubiak was running the offense and calling the plays, defensive coordinator was the hire he had to get right. But as you said, we have to give Bush a chance to see if he can turn the defense around.

Also telling was a story in November about Eugene Wilson. Members of our secondary were astonished that he positioned his body in ways in order to decieve the QB and the offense. Wow! That pretty much says it all about Richard Smith's abilities as a DC. I gotta believe deception might begin to be taught and game planned now. REVOLUTIONARY!!
Why couldn't Jon Hoke have taught this positioning? Or Ray Rhodes? Or Bush? Or Kubiak? Why does the fault fall 100% on Smith?

Not trying to defend Smith. Just asking why no one else on the staff gets any blame?

He should've been named when hired, Smith never did anything to keep his job. He should've been promoted after the 0-4 start. He should've been promoted when the defense proved beyond a shadow of a shadow of a doubt that it was inept under Smith midseason.
I agree. If Kubiak was confident in Bush's capabilities, at that point.

To me, this is like firing offensive coordinator, and replacing him with Joe Pendry.
Ouch! That's quite a name to live down to.

Im alright with this, Im pretty optomistic actually. At least, I dont see how it could get worse....

I think our D line coach might be just as important of a descision...

Why couldn't Jon Hoke have taught this positioning? Or Ray Rhodes? Or Bush? Or Kubiak? Why does the fault fall 100% on Smith?

I would think the D-coordinator overrides position coaches when talking about positioning. I always thought that the position coaches taught things like how to play the game, how to play the position, and how to react to plays, and I always thought that the D-coordinator taught the positioning he wanted on defense. If each position coach taught positioning in their own way, wouldn't you have a bunch of guys that weren't exactly on the same page?

I'd love nothing more than to be excited by this hire, but after letting the news sink in for a bit, I'm left feeling underwhelmed, uninspired, and unimpressed. I feel as if Kubiak didn't perform his due dilligence with this hire, and that it may ultimately cost him his job. I'm not entirely positive of what the role of "Senior Defensive Assistant" entails, but there were no results seen on the field. In 2006 under Smith, we finished 25th in scoring defense. We then hired Bush and our defenses finished 22nd and 27th the following two seasons. In fact, it has been years since Bush was on a staff that produced a good defense. Here are the results of the defenses that have had Bush on their staff this millenium:

2000 Broncos – 23rd
2001 Broncos – 21st
2002 Broncos – 15th
2003 Broncos – 9th
2004 Cardinals – 12th
2005 Cardinals – 26th
2006 Cardinals – 29th
2007 Texans – 22nd
2008 Texans - 27th

It's great that Bush is talking about being aggressive and not playing read and react, but that's the same stuff we've been hearing for years. Capers and Casserly dropped Sharper and Glenn for Greenwood and Buchanon so that the defense would have more speed and be able to be more aggressive. That didn't work. In came Smith who likely would have said the same thing but he hardly ever talked to the press.

Long story short, Bush can claim to want to be aggressive all he wants, but if he doesn't produce results on the field, his buddy Kubiak is out of a job. We as a fan base are obviously going to have to wait and see on this one, but in the meantime, I am very disappointed.

Well, since Bush was an assistant DL coach it might not have gone over to well. Things like disguise, I believe, are philosophical. I blame Richard Smith because his defensive philosophy seemed disinterested in disguise or camouflage. I think Hoke is being held accountable for the secondary's performance. After all, he was fired also.

How is it safe? Greg Williams or Mike Nolan would be safe. This is a risky choice. And, frankly, who cares if it is inspiring to fans as long as he inspires the players.

It's safe because Kubes refused to go outside his comfort zone and to bring in a proven guy.

Here is my quote 2 weeks ago when Smith was fired..in the thread below...what do I win!!!!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57378&page=6

I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.

If he succeeds, I'll happily eat crow but this move could be Kubes career too.

I really wanted to see Sean Mcdermott get an interview but I guesss he is going to install the same type of defense. I don't like the hire.

It's safe because Kubes refused to go outside his comfort zone and to bring in a proven guy.

Here is my quote 2 weeks ago when Smith was fired..in the thread below...what do I win!!!!

Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57378&page=6

If he succeeds, I'll happily eat crow but this move could be Kubes career too.

I don't think elevating Bush equates to "staying put". There will be a significant change in philosophy and probably a great many other things. Also, I don't think the respect of the players and his understand of the personnel are insignificant. If he has a good handle on those things that is a reason far more than it is an excuse. Regarding the Texans' being bland, that sounds like you're a fan wanting to be entertained in the off-season. And, while I can sympathize with that, I'm not going to criticize the selection just because I didn't get to be excited about the process or the parade of names... It's in Kubes best interest for the defense to be good, so I'm sure he has the guy he thinks will be most successful. That is all I need. Oh, I will need on the field results but we're 8 months away from that.

I don't think elevating Bush equates to "staying put". There will be a significant change in philosophy and probably a great many other things. Also, I don't think the respect of the players and his understand of the personnel are insignificant. If he has a good handle on those things that is a reason far more than it is an excuse. Regarding the Texans' being bland, that sounds like you're a fan wanting to be entertained in the off-season. And, while I can sympathize with that, I'm not going to criticize the selection just because I didn't get to be excited about the process or the parade of names... It's in Kubes best interest for the defense to be good, so I'm sure he has the guy he thinks will be most successful. That is all I need. Oh, I will need on the field results but we're 8 months away from that.

face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will probably be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move. it's really that simple. i hope he has great success and proves me wrong but it may be wishful thinking based on his experience as a playcaller much less also a DC.

Last edited:
This is a huge hire for Kubiak, all accountability now rests on his shoulders. I like that in an organization.

In the end, I want results from this maligned unit which means better personnel (unfortunately Grier is still around), player and positional development (I am worried given the lack of development across the board, especially at DE, DT, CB and S) and leveraging our current assets (which we really do not know if we have round pegs that will fit in Bush's circles).

Is our defensive staff more experienced, smarter and better communicators with the recent hires and promotions? Who the heck knows, but one thing is for sure Kubiak owns the result of the defensive unit next year and 8-8 will not suffice as a security blanket even if the offense performs.

Heads must roll if mediocrity persists next year, starting with Kubiak.

Last edited:
I love this pick!!!! I know as Texans fans we have all have reasons to be skeptical but I think the doubters will be happy with the results. Bush has coached all aspects of defenses, secondary, LB's and D-line. He was a high draft pick at LB with the Texans and his career was ended early to to injury. I love LB's as coaches they tend to have that killer instinct thats a hold over from their playing days.

This should not have been a surprise, Bush was Kubiaks pick when he got the job here in Houston but AZ would not let him out of his contract. Seems like the previous staff in AZ wanted him pretty bad!

I keep hearing people complain about the new blood, hiring him to be a D-coordinator since he has not done the job before. Look at the 4 playoff teams leftm three have new first time coaches Tomlin, Harbaugh, Whisenhut and Miami had a first time guy and now Denver is going to hire a first time HC. It seems the same old retread candidates are not locks for open jobs anymore!

Kubiak has one year left to get the job done, if after interviewing Bush and seeing his coaching style he has decided to bet his coaching career with the Texans on Bush's success then I gotta believe he thinks he is the best man for the job.

Like I mentioned before I know its hard for us after 6 yhears not to have doubts but you gotta have faith sometimes.

I'd love nothing more than to be excited by this hire, but after letting the news sink in for a bit, I'm left feeling underwhelmed, uninspired, and unimpressed. I feel as if Kubiak didn't perform his due dilligence with this hire, and that it may ultimately cost him his job. I'm not entirely positive of what the role of "Senior Defensive Assistant" entails, but there were no results seen on the field. In 2006 under Smith, we finished 25th in scoring defense. We then hired Bush and our defenses finished 22nd and 27th the following two seasons. In fact, it has been years since Bush was on a staff that produced a good defense. Here are the results of the defenses that have had Bush on their staff this millenium:

2000 Broncos – 23rd
2001 Broncos – 21st
2002 Broncos – 15th
2003 Broncos – 9th
2004 Cardinals – 12th
2005 Cardinals – 26th
2006 Cardinals – 29th
2007 Texans – 22nd
2008 Texans - 27th

It's great that Bush is talking about being aggressive and not playing read and react, but that's the same stuff we've been hearing for years. Capers and Casserly dropped Sharper and Glenn for Greenwood and Buchanon so that the defense would have more speed and be able to be more aggressive. That didn't work. In came Smith who likely would have said the same thing but he hardly ever talked to the press.

Long story short, Bush can claim to want to be aggressive all he wants, but if he doesn't produce results on the field, his buddy Kubiak is out of a job. We as a fan base are obviously going to have to wait and see on this one, but in the meantime, I am very disappointed.

I'm lukewarm on the hiring, and I was hoping for a fresh face from the outside, but as I said in another thread, I'm more concerned with how I feel about it midway through next season than how I feel now.

Be that as it may, I'm a little anal, and I can't let the information you posted go unchallenged. First, during the 2001 -2003 seasons, Bush was the Broncos special teams coach, so whether good or bad, the defensive performance in those years isn't really a reflection of Bush. Secondly, the Arizona Cardinal defense was ranked 8th in yards allowed in 2005 and while they were 26th in scoring, 37 turnovers by the offense (5 more than the Texans had in 2008) probably had something to do with that. Finally, in the five years he was a Denver Defensive assistant that you didn't list (1995 - 1999) the defense finished ranked in the top ten for yardage allowed on three occassions, 11th on another, and 15th as the lowest ranking during those years. In scoring Defense, they ranked 14th, 7th, 6th, 8th & 11th.

I don't plan on throwing a party in honor of our new coordinator, but I think there's definitely a few positive things in the guys background.

Last edited:
face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move.

You're ridiculous! You are actually arguing that they hired Bush to save money. Wow! Kubiak hired him because he thinks he's the best chance he has to win, improve the defense and keep his job. Perhaps he is wrong. But, we won't know that until at least September. Until then, I see no reason to be pessimistic about it. From early indications, I like where the guy is coming from. By the way, I was calling for Richard Smith's removal after the '07 season.

I am critical of the Texans' plenty. More predictable than my optimism, however, is your pessimism. The fact that you believe this move was about saving a few bucks, shows any reasonable person that you have very little credibility.

Reactions: Fox
I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed by this move. I know that If my job depended on how well I performed on defense next yera, I would hire a proven guy that would allow me to sleep at night without worrying about who I will have to send resumes to. Kubiak must have a death wish. I'm not saying Bush won't get it done... I'm saying he is an unknown. And almost getting a little better next season will not only get the Texans a new DC but a Whole new coaching staff as well, including a HC.

I like what I hear, and have no particular problem with the move. Of course, we won't know how good a move this was until sometime during next season, perhaps not until the season is over.

It will be interesting to catch the player's quotes and see if they are excited about the hire, that is pretty important. Moreover, this is year two for Rhodes, it is time for him to get a voice in what goes on this organization, especially to apply a time sensitive fore arm shiver to the Bush doubters, I mean liberals.

I'm lukewarm on the hiring, and I was hoping for a fresh face from the outside, but as I said in another thread, I'm more concerned with how I feel about it midway through next season than how I feel now.

Be that as it may, I'm a little anal, and I can't let the information you posted go unchallenged. First, during the 2001 -2003 seasons, Bush was the Broncos special teams coach, so whether good or bad, the defensive performance in those years isn't really a reflection of Bush. Secondly, from everything I can tell, the Arizona Cardinal defense was ranked 8th in 2005 - not 26th (big difference there). Finally, in the five years he was a Denver Defensive assistant that you didn't list (1995 - 1999) the defense finished ranked in the top ten on three occassions, 11th on another, and 15th as the lowest ranking during those years.

I don't plan on throwing a party in honor of our new coordinator, but I think there's definitely a few positive things in the guys background.

I overlooked that Bush was the ST coach from 2001-2003, so we can throw those numbers out. The 2005 Arizona Cardinals ranked 26th in the NFL in scoring defense, but ranked 8th in YPG. This means that the Arizona defense may not have given up many yards, but they did give up a bunch of points. That's probably due to their offense or special teams putting the defense on a short field on multiple occasions. I omitted anything Bush did prior to 2000 simply because that was 9 seasons ago, and I'm more of a believer in recent history. Let it be known, though, that Bush was the LB coach on some good defenses back in the mid to late 90's.

You're ridiculous! You are actually arguing that they hired Bush to save money. Wow! Kubiak hired him because he thinks he's the best chance he has to win, improve the defense and keep his job. Perhaps he is wrong. But, we won't know that until at least September. Until then, I see no reason to be pessimistic about it. From early indications, I like where the guy is coming from. By the way, I was calling for Richard Smith's removal after the '07 season.

I am critical of the Texans' plenty. More predictable than my optimism, however, is your pessimism. The fact that you believe this move was about saving a few bucks, shows any reasonable person that you have very little credibility.

i dont think it was only about money, but I don't know if they were willing to spend the top $ it would take to lure the top talent as our DC. Bush could be a great DC and I like that they are giving an African-American coach a chance at the big time, but I just hoped they would have brought someone in from outside of the Denver Alliance.

good luck Frank. the defense needs a heart transplant. hope your the man for the job.

I blame Richard Smith because his defensive philosophy seemed disinterested in disguise or camouflage.
If I remember correctly, Smith wanted to give the same look on every snap. Thus, not giving the QB a pre-snap read. But, who really cares? The defense sucked, and he's gone.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job.
You're assuming that Kubiak could lure any better? He's not a proven winner. He's a coach on the hot seat. He can't offer stability. What "big name" coordinator would have signed on for that?

At least in the interview Bush had a good presence, but he did use that annoying "kid" thing that Kubiak does. Talk about simplifying the defense and being aggressive at the snap of the ball...moving foward versus sideways.

Why is that annoying to some? It never bothers me in the least.

Perhaps all Bush did was take notes and provide some input whenever asked to. He may not have volunteered to do anything because he may have wanted Capt. Smith of the Fail Boat to fail spectacularly for Kubiak and the FO to see....and offer him the job for 2009.

LOL. "Captain Smith of the Fail Boat."

Niiiiice!

I actually, literally chuckled out loud on that one. Well done.

You're assuming that Kubiak could lure any better? He's not a proven winner. He's a coach on the hot seat. He can't offer stability. What "big name" coordinator would have signed on for that?

Are Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes big names? Not as coordinators, but they didn't seem to mind signing up to work with Kubes. Hell I'll even toss in Mike Sherman. I've always gotten the impression that Kubiak has a good rep around the league and is a guy that successful people want to work with.

Same song, different verse. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's not. I think some people had expectations way beyond the norm.

Frank Bush was in no way tied to Richard Smith. Just being on the same staff as Richard Smith does not taint or infect Frank Bush.

I wanted McDermott. Maybe the guy wasn't even remotely interested in us. Maybe the money wasn't right. Maybe the Eagles said "No way." Maybe there's something we don't know.

In contrast to my usual "McNair is a tight wad" stance, I don't think THIS hiring was a money problem. I think Kubiak regretted the Richard Smith decision three years ago. He probably regretted it within the first month of the first season.

Kubiak's decision-making seems to be at a glacial pace. Which, can be bad in some ways and good in others. The guy gives people a chance, that's for sure.

Are Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes big names?
Both had ties to Kubiak. Rhodes was DC in SF when Kubiak was the QB coach. Gibbs & Kubiak worked together in Denver for years.

No one was beating down Ray Rhodes door. And Kubiak was probably the only guy Gibbs would have come out of retirement for. The coordinators on the market weren't FOK (Friends of Kubiak). For all of the reasons I mentioned, there was no good reason to sign on here.

Both had ties to Kubiak. Rhodes was DC in SF when Kubiak was the QB coach. Gibbs & Kubiak worked together in Denver for years.

No one was beating down Ray Rhodes door. And Kubiak was probably the only guy Gibbs would have come out of retirement for. The coordinators on the market weren't FOK (Friends of Kubiak). For all of the reasons I mentioned, there was no good reason to sign on here.

I'm under the impression that it's a pretty common phenomenon for coaches to hire coordinators and coaches who they've worked with/met before. Not unique to Kubes and Co. I don't think Houston's off the charts in terms of appeal to coordinators, but I don't think our situation is driving anyone away either.

Kubes is going the Shanahan route and hiring yes men that keep towing the line instead of bringing something new.

Of course we have no talent to run the 3-4, Tampa-2, or the Jim Johnson defense, so getting a coordinator of little quality isn't shocking

Jeff Fisher was promoted from within Buddy Ryans ranks, as well as many other fine DC's on other teams.

I think alot of people (including myself) are less than excited about the lack of interviews, but maybe after interviewing Bush they realized he is what they wanted.

I'll wait and see the product on the field next September before casting an opinion.

That is easy for you to say when your son was just hired to the staff.

I am completely missing what you're trying to say.

I was just offering a bit of Yoda humor. The board is so deflated at the moment.

It's a sad day when GP is cheering people up.

face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will probably be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move. it's really that simple. i hope he has great success and proves me wrong but it may be wishful thinking based on his experience as a playcaller much less also a DC.

Wow!! I didn't know you personally interviewed all the potential candidates to determine who the most qualified is. And you don't have an NFL job because why?

I'm ok with Bush because it's Kubiak's neck on the line. I'm ok with Bush not having DC experience because every DC that's ever been has called their first play at one time.

I sure as hell am not going to sit here at my computer in mid-January and act like I know who the better man for the job is or make statements that Bush is a horrible choice, BUT qualify it with the classic "I hope I'm proven wrong" tag. What the hell is that?

Kubiak isn't in the business to lose games. He's going to make choices that help him win, thus keeping him in the business. I'm glad there's been a change, which I think should have been made during the season, but oh well, and I don't care who they hire as long as the results on the field are positive.

It can't get much worse than what we had.

So instead of pretending that I know better than everyone and bashing this guy before a single snap has been taken, but making sure I get my "I'll gladly eat crow" qualifier in there to I don't know, make me feel better when/if I'm wrong?, I'll wait to see what happens on the football field.

It just occurred to me that there are some parallels between this hire and the Mario Williams pick. Mario wasn't the sexy pick. Mario was seen as a "cheapskate" move by the organization. They could sign him so they took him # 1. Let's face it: a lot of us thought the Mario pick was a disaster.

By the way----the Mario pick was a Kubiak decision. It was a HUGE decision. It was a BOLD decision. It was an unpopular decision.

How did that turn out?

I am completely missing what you're trying to say.

I was just offering a bit of Yoda humor. The board is so deflated at the moment.

It's a sad day when GP is cheering people up.

Have you ever seen Alex Gibbs and Yoda together? I certainly haven't.

Jeff Fisher was promoted from within Buddy Ryans ranks, as well as many other fine DC's on other teams.

I remember a lot of upset people when they hired Fisher as the DC and then the HC. Thought they needed a big name/proven coach.

Most people have no clue, myself included. Bush would have made us cheer 2 years ago, and he came into a situation where the defensive playbook was set when he got here. Give him a chance. I think we will be happier this time.

I remember a lot of upset people when they hired Fisher as the DC and then the HC. Thought they needed a big name/proven coach.

Most people have no clue, myself included. Bush would have made us cheer 2 years ago, and he came into a situation where the defensive playbook was set when he got here. Give him a chance. I think we will be happier this time.

It's safe to say that we're bickering over degrees. Any change was going to make this defense better. That's the good news. The question is, will Bush turn it into a good defense or will we only suck less. We won't know for a while.

I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm getting a really weird feeling about this. I watched some of the interview clip on the main site and was less than impressed. We've been told a couple of times now that the Texans asked to interview Gray but were refused and that Marinelli interviewed for the DL position but Bush was in that interview talking like he'd been picked after a lengthy search and several interviews. Seriously, he said that they interviewed "some guys". Excuse me? You mean like Marinelli and "you" are basically "some guys"?

I think it's pretty clear he was the choice all the way and that Marinelli was being pursued to try and be Frank Bush's "elder mentor" ala Alex Gibbs to Kyle Shanahan. Marinelli was going to kind of hold the bike up while Frank got used to riding it without training wheels.

Clearly babysitting our new DC didn't appeal to Marinelli.

Here's the deal. Bush is the guy and he's telling us exactly what we heard from Richard Smith three years ago. It's almost word for word. To make matters worse he's been here for two of Smith's terrible seasons so he's got the stink of Richard Smith on or about his person. Topping it all off he's got an eerily similar resume to Smith with no participation in a truly excellent unit in there but lots of jobs working for lousy to mediocre defenses.

It doesn't look good to me. I'm going to shut up about it for a while because there's nothing we can do about it and there's no point in griping for 6-7 months. I'm going to think positive and hope for the best but man, Bush is going to have zero room for error. We've all already got our complaints memorized because we used them all on his predecessor. He'd better not roll out a lousy defense next year or he'll be torn to pieces by the fans. We're getting better every year but the patience here is long gone. Results are all any of us really care about at this point.

if memory serves me, fisher became interim HC and I though he did a good job for the rest of the season esp with the turmoil that was going with the Oiler organization about Dud moving? Fisher seemed to keep the team focus' and I thought he did a good job. I do remember about 2 seasons into his term, watching the oilers , I was frustrated with his style of keep it close and try to win late. (as a kid it was nerve racking seeing the close games) but my view of his turning point of his career was when Eddie got injured and they had to finally turn Steve loose and the team did ok and when Eddie came back they had a one two punch and Fisher wasn't so relying on Eddie so much and hence help Fisher turn into the coach he is today .. buy I was young so my memory and point of view might be a little off .. I am not saying Fisher opened his playbook and didn't still use the run so much but seemed he trusted McNair more if the time came he had to go to him

who knows, been a long time ago

I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm getting a really weird feeling about this. I watched some of the interview clip on the main site and was less than impressed. We've been told a couple of times now that the Texans asked to interview Gray but were refused and that Marinelli interviewed for the DL position but Bush was in that interview talking like he'd been picked after a lengthy search and several interviews. Seriously, he said that they interviewed "some guys". Excuse me? You mean like Marinelli and "you" are basically "some guys"?

I think it's pretty clear he was the choice all the way and that Marinelli was being pursued to try and be Frank Bush's "elder mentor" ala Alex Gibbs to Kyle Shanahan. Marinelli was going to kind of hold the bike up while Frank got used to riding it without training wheels.

Here's the deal. Bush is the guy and he's telling us exactly what we heard from Richard Smith three years ago. It's almost word for word. To make matters worse he's been here for two of Smith's terrible seasons so he's got the stink of Richard Smith on or about his person. Topping it all off he's got an eerily similar resume to Smith with no participation in a truly excellent unit in there but lots of jobs working for lousy to mediocre defenses.

It doesn't look good to me. I'm going to shut up about it for a while because there's nothing we can do about it and there's no point in griping for 6-7 months. I'm going to think positive and hope for the best but man, Bush is going to have zero room for error. We've all already got our complaints memorized because we used them all on his predecessor. He'd better not roll out a lousy defense next year or he'll be torn to pieces by the fans. We're getting better every year but the patience here is long gone. Results are all any of us really care about at this point.

I agree Herv, proof will be in the pudding ... and maybe you need to see if KT's quote that you have in your sig can be sent to the Texan's and have them put that over the locker room door

I certainly understand your trepidation. I have some of it too although I general feel optimistic about it- he can't do worse!

However, one thing to note. Not only did Bush not talk about all the holes that needed to be filled, he actually went out of his way to compliment all the talent on the defense. It was clear during the presser that he was trying to criticize Richard Smith without calling him out. However, the one compliment he did give him was the quality of talent that he brought in to the defense. I point this out only to illustrate that these aren't the words of a guy preparing the audience for mediocrity. I think he plans on the defense being good... quick. Perhaps he's naive but I prefer that to a bunch of political double talk.

Also, when asked about his influences, Buddy Ryan was at the top of the list. He repeatedly used words like agressive but also "violent". He said the players will be violent as a means of creating turnovers. Regardless of his scheming abilities, I think we can count on an attitude change on defense and it will be one that as fans we will appreciate and enjoy.

Wow!! I didn't know you personally interviewed all the potential candidates to determine who the most qualified is. And you don't have an NFL job because why?

I'm ok with Bush because it's Kubiak's neck on the line. I'm ok with Bush not having DC experience because every DC that's ever been has called their first play at one time.

I sure as hell am not going to sit here at my computer in mid-January and act like I know who the better man for the job is or make statements that Bush is a horrible choice, BUT qualify it with the classic "I hope I'm proven wrong" tag. What the hell is that?

Kubiak isn't in the business to lose games. He's going to make choices that help him win, thus keeping him in the business. I'm glad there's been a change, which I think should have been made during the season, but oh well, and I don't care who they hire as long as the results on the field are positive.

It can't get much worse than what we had.

So instead of pretending that I know better than everyone and bashing this guy before a single snap has been taken, but making sure I get my "I'll gladly eat crow" qualifier in there to I don't know, make me feel better when/if I'm wrong?, I'll wait to see what happens on the football field.

Rep. I was going to give my take, but you expressed it better.

:goodpost:

Honestly...I'm pretty underwhelmed by the hire as of now. Looks like it was Bush all along and they took a few stabs at hiring someone outside.

I am going to hope for the best at this point and go into wait and see mode. The other positional coaches will be interesting hires.

Honestly...I'm pretty underwhelmed by the hire as of now. Looks like it was Bush all along and they took a few stabs at hiring someone outside.

I am going to hope for the best at this point and go into wait and see mode. The other positional coaches will be interesting hires.

1. secondary coach will surely be Gibbs.
2. DL??? who knows

and that will be it I think.

So what exactly was Frank Bush doing here before being promoted to defensive coordinator? Getting paid to sit on his thumb?

Probably advising Kubiak on the ways he would improve the mess of a defense that Richard Smith was sending out on the field every week. Well, until about week 11 when he starting participating in the game planning (just a guess).

You arn't going to hire a currently successful defensive coordinator under contract away from another team. That most likely means you either are going to be promoting someone new to the position, or you will be bringing back someone as a DC who is somehow damaged goods... ie, probably been fired before from a DC or HC position because of bad performance. I suspect the track record of success is probably not that much different, but it would be interesting to research.

In any case, Frank Bush has obviously been around a long time and has apparently coached every position in the defense as well as special teams. Sounds like the kind of guy that deserves a shot.

New story by John McClain on chron.com/sports :

Arizona defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was working on his game plan for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against Philadelphia when he found out Frank Bush had been named the Texans’ defensive coordinator.

Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was at home with his family in Virginia when he learned Bush had been promoted from senior defensive assistant.

Bush was linebackers coach and assistant head coach during his three seasons (2004-06) with the Cardinals. He worked closely with Pendergast, who has been their defensive coordinator the last five years.

“I think it’s a great hire, and I’m so happy for Frank,” said Pendergast, who has done an outstanding job with a Cardinals defense that has helped them come within one step of the Super Bowl for the first time. “I’m so happy he’s finally getting this well-deserved opportunity.

“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players.”

In developing a philosophy that has been influenced by a lot of great defensive coaches, Bush said one of the many things he learned from Pendergast was how to think outside the box.

In other words, don’t be afraid to experiment and take chances.

Playing safe can be dangerous.

Not afraid of new things
“When Frank was here, we weren’t afraid to try different things — different schemes and personnel groupings,” Pendergast said. “We didn’t want to play it safe.

“Frank helped me a lot. He’s creative. He’s got good ideas, and he knows how to implement them in a way the players understand.”

When Williams followed coach Jack Pardee from the University of Houston to the Oilers in 1990, Bush already had been a player and scout with the Oilers for five years. When Bush left the personnel department to coach linebackers, he worked with Williams under defensive coordinators Jim Eddy, Buddy Ryan and Jeff Fisher.

“Frank and I go way back,” said Williams, who has interviewed for defensive coordinator jobs with New Orleans and Green Bay since the season ended. “I watched him go from scouting to coaching, and I’ve seen him rise through the ranks.

“I’m fired up for him. I know he’s going to do a great job with that defense.”

Williams has been a defensive coordinator with the Titans, Redskins and Jaguars and a head coach with the Bills.

With Jacksonville last season, he saw the Texans twice and watched a lot of tape to prepare for them.

“They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses.

“A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”

Pressure in his blood
Williams is known as one of the most aggressive defensive coaches in the league.

Everything he does is built around pressuring the quarterback.

“I’m excited about the style Frank’s going to play because we both come from a pressure background,” Williams said. “Frank played that way as an outside linebacker (under Jerry Glanville). Then he coached that way as an assistant with the Oilers.”

After spending 10 years with the Oilers, Denver coach Mike Shanahan hired Bush to coach linebackers.

In his nine years with the Broncos, Bush won two Super Bowl rings.

“Frank understands every defensive position as well as special teams,” Williams said. “He’s played and coached in a variety of styles. He’s learned from a lot of outstanding defensive coaches.

“Now it’s Frank’s baby, and he’s going to do great. Let me tell you something: There are a lot of coaches around the NFL that are real happy that he’s getting this opportunity.”

john.mcclain@chron.com

Bush is an upgrade because he relates better with people. the Texans remain on course, more focused & accountable. I never really understood how Smith related to his players? did he send & receive messages, give motivational speeches, hammer out game plans on the practice field or film room? seemed aloof, distant, well intentioned but frustrated. I wish him the best.

from the above McClain article Clancy Pendergast said, "“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players

while Gregg Williams added, “They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses. A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”

Back