Random guy
Can not argue with any of these - full article link below:

1. Get Secondary Help
2. Draft pass rushers
3. The Houston Texans should extend Deshaun Watson
4. Decide on right guard Zach Fulton’s future
5. Bring back Carlos Hyde

Full article:

I agree on 1-3, either demote Fulton to a backup role or kick him to the curb. He’s not a legit starter at G. Hyde was solid but nothing special. I Think we can do better. If he’s part of our stable, cool, but I want a top tier RB.
As do I, but I don’t think we can get a top tier RB in 2020 considering our limited draft picks and higher priorities in the draft.

As do I, but I don’t think we can get a top tier RB in 2020 considering our limited draft picks and higher priorities in the draft.

I agree. I do think you can find really good RBs in the middle rounds of the draft though. Im holding out hope that maybe we'll get lucky. Heck, we signed AF as an unrestricted FA. Can you imagine what we could do offensively with a healthy Foster and Watson?

I agree. I do think you can find really good RBs in the middle rounds of the draft though. Im holding out hope that maybe we'll get lucky. Heck, we signed AF as an unrestricted FA. Can you imagine what we could do offensively with a healthy Foster and Watson?
I like the first part however I don’t think Foster would be the same RB playing with Watson as he was with Schaub.

1. Get Secondary Help
2. Draft pass rushers

Full article:
Other than “draft pass rushers”, which is going to be a difficult task with the lack of a 1st and 3rd round pick, this is as close to “run it back” to 2019. Doing what they did in 2019 isn’t going to cut it.

Any list of Texans "Things to do in the off season" is incomplete without the item listing OB's removal.
One terrible consequence of having BOB is that he is so insecure that he will not hire the best coaching talent because he wants to make sure there is no one to replace him. I said years ago that to recover from BOB would take years but that was before he was made GM. Now he could damage this franchise for a far longer time. Just now the talking heads are beginning to understand wtf is going on. Many on this board have known it for years. I would definitely give money for a billboard.

Carlos is OK only. Not bad as no 2 or 3. No real threat for big play. No dual threat. I like Duke better. If we are stuck with butthead then I want someone that can be a threat in the running game.
**** it if we have BF here we are screwed. 51-7 outscored. Playoff team give me ******* break. Playoffs???!!!! Playoffs???!!! McNair is a ******* JOKE.
Obviously still pissed after all these years!!!!!!!

Defense needs a lot of help. More than 1 offseason will provide imo. When we lack both a pass rush AND a secondary that can cover its going to take some work. Defense is in the same place o-line was during the 2018 season where it was so bad you just knew it will take more than 1 season to improve it. I think the defense is going to be B'OB's next excuse

We also need a new offensive identity. This system doesn't work.

I think we get another Guard, I'm not entirely against Fulton but that's what my gut tells me. O-line will look Martin, Tunsil, Scharping, Tytus, new guard baring injury

Defense needs a lot of help. More than 1 offseason will provide imo. When we lack both a pass rush AND a secondary that can cover its going to take some work. Defense is in the same place o-line was during the 2018 season where it was so bad you just knew it will take more than 1 season to improve it. I think the defense is going to be B'OB's next excuse

We also need a new offensive identity. This system doesn't work.

I think we get another Guard, I'm not entirely against Fulton but that's what my gut tells me. O-line will look Martin, Tunsil, Scharping, Tytus, new guard baring injury
Would be interested for you to expand a little on this.

I agree with everything except for bringing back Carlos Hyde. What was his stats in that playoff lost? We can find a better rb & or hopefully sign or trade for one.

This is a waste of time.

OB is still your HC and GM.

I'm hoping for a disaster season like 4-12. I kind of wanted that this year, just so we could finally be done with O'Brien.

That would be nice but this team stacks more talent every use just so Ob can waste it. Drafting Deshaun was a mistake in getting rid of Ob. I bet he’s going to turn him into a hof coach if they can get some decent talent on the defensive side of the ball.

1. Get Secondary Help
2. Draft pass rushers

As long as O'Brien is in charge of any of this, it'll all end in tears. #Marvin

He'll find a way to draft guys that can't cover or rush the passer (though he might just draft another TE or two). He'll find a way to overpay or somehow screw up Watson's and Hyde's contracts, and he'll find a way to mess up the Fulton decision as well.

Basically, give the man a rubber mallet (Mallett?) and he could fk up a steel bearing.

That would be nice but this team stacks more talent every use just so Ob can waste it. Drafting Deshaun was a mistake in getting rid of Ob. I bet he’s going to turn him into a hof coach if they can get some decent talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Your posts always seem to contradict the last one.

Now all of a sudden OB is going to become a HOF coach?

I can't even wrap my head around that one.

Good lord. WTF!? :gathering:

At least two mocks other than mine have Houston taking either Dobbins or Etienne in round 2. Alabama's Harris was a projected round 4 and why he returned to school.

One terrible consequence of having BOB is that he is so insecure that he will not hire the best coaching talent because he wants to make sure there is no one to replace him. I said years ago that to recover from BOB would take years but that was before he was made GM. Now he could damage this franchise for a far longer time. Just now the talking heads are beginning to understand wtf is going on. Many on this board have known it for years. I would definitely give money for a billboard.

Carlos is OK only. Not bad as no 2 or 3. No real threat for big play. No dual threat. I like Duke better. If we are stuck with butthead then I want someone that can be a threat in the running game.
**** it if we have BF here we are screwed. 51-7 outscored. Playoff team give me ******* break. Playoffs???!!!! Playoffs???!!! McNair is a ******* JOKE.
Obviously still pissed after all these years!!!!!!!

What coaching talent are you wanting him to hire? He brought in the best QB coach in the NFL, most on here still believe RAC to be the best defense coach we could or should have, I agree we desperately need a new Oline coach but it’s been that case for years, our ST showed massive improvement so don’t think I’d change that and honestly who really cares about the other position coaches.

If you are basically referring to the OC position again who should they bring in? Don’t know if you’ve noticed but over the last decade any OC, and most DCs, that have even a remotely good year get fast tracked to HC jobs. When someone that could be a HC gets brought back as a OC or DC it almost always because they have a personal connection to the HC, Kubiak and Phillips in Denver for example.

I’m not against bringing in a new coaching staff, including a HC, but to say he won’t bring in the best coaches out of fear makes no sense and is completely baseless. The best coaches get brought in as HCs not coordinators.

If there is one thing that OB and Watson have done is turn this place into bizzaro world. I’m not sure if it’s fair to blame them for that but I’m going to anyway.

Other than “draft pass rushers”, which is going to be a difficult task with the lack of a 1st and 3rd round pick, this is as close to “run it back” to 2019. Doing what they did in 2019 isn’t going to cut it.
Ejiofor coming off IR and had some exciting moments. Also Zac Braun projected 3-4 th round.

You can find solid pass rushers in later rounds. Geno Atkins, Elvis Dumervil, Robert Mathis, Jared Allen were all 4th rounds picks. Maxx Crosby had a good season for the Raiders last year too and he was drafted in the 4th rd

lucky for us we’ve got 2 4th rounders

More scrambling around and getting sacked. Not to mention being inaccurate is what I imagine we would see. In other words more of the same.

With Conley being only starting corner returning that position might be of wee concern.

Hopefully they sign Byron Jones in FA. ( They have the cap room) then are able to draft James Lynch (Stud 5 tech) in the 2nd rd and draft the best CB available in the 3rd rd. I like Amik Robertson/Jeff Gladney (Who I would trade up for if he falls into the 2nd rd.) Thomas Graham and Rodarius Williams. (Thanks Bad Boy)

Put these CB's with Conley and Hargreaves and the secondary will be much improved.

Not having Gipson to cover Kelce killed the defense. So somewhere along the way I would look at drafting a S also.

More scrambling around and getting sacked. Not to mention being inaccurate is what I imagine we would see. In other words more of the same.

At this point I’m fairly acquainted with your negative opinion on Watson so I’m not sure there’s a need to bring it up yet again in
another thread. Just my opinion though.

More to the point I was trying to make, an elite RB would certainly help any young QB. If you kept 2 safeties deep again a back like Foster you’d rarely have to throw because he’d be consistently breaking off long runs

Basement worthy post

I don't feel good about next year no matter how many steps they take..I think Cal knows this and is going to wait to clean house. Wait for what? I don't know.

You lack imagination. Every year this team gets stronger. They’re going to address the issues on the defensive side and we will have a better chance next season. We could possibly be the team to go 12-4 annually if Deshaun can get a top 15 defense. Remember, we still haven’t seen him with a decent defense. The fact he carried a bottom 5 defense into the playoffs in the 2nd round just shows one player can’t do it by himself and he’s pretty great at carrying his team.

Last edited:
What coaching talent are you wanting him to hire? He brought in the best QB coach in the NFL, most on here still believe RAC to be the best defense coach we could or should have, I agree we desperately need a new Oline coach but it’s been that case for years, our ST showed massive improvement so don’t think I’d change that and honestly who really cares about the other position coaches.

If you are basically referring to the OC position again who should they bring in? Don’t know if you’ve noticed but over the last decade any OC, and most DCs, that have even a remotely good year get fast tracked to HC jobs. When someone that could be a HC gets brought back as a OC or DC it almost always because they have a personal connection to the HC, Kubiak and Phillips in Denver for example.

I’m not against bringing in a new coaching staff, including a HC, but to say he won’t bring in the best coaches out of fear makes no sense and is completely baseless. The best coaches get brought in as HCs not coordinators.
Did you read the end? The real problem is we have BOB as our brain trust.

Man since Obrien pretty gutted our defense, that should be the main focus this offseason.

1. Fire RAC or he should retire.
2. I would convince Wade Phillips to come back.
3. Hook Reader up with a decent contract.
4. Convince Watt to redo his contract to a lesser amount.
5. Find out what elite pass rushers who is on the market.
6. Call please tell Obrien to step away from the OC duties.

I think we really need to add an inside pass rusher, or J.J. needs to slide inside in passing situations. I’d also like to see them get more creative in how they use Martin. He’s on the smaller side, so once lineman get a hold of him he’s done. However, he’s really fast and we need to exploit that. In the Buffalo game his sack came off twist, he closed the distance to Allen in a flash. I’d like to McKinney get a shot at rushing the QB. Several yrs ago I believe he had 5 sacks. I definitely do not want to see him in coverage anymore.

Against some of the more mobile QBs, I’d like to see a 4 man rush of Watt and Omenihu inside and Mercilus and either McKinney or Scarlett outside with Martin in a spy position. Once the QB breaks the pocket or steps up Martin gets after him. I think if we were a bit more creative in how we rush the QB we’d have a better pass rush.

Did you read the end? The real problem is we have BOB as our brain trust.

So basically the whole thing was just meant to be an "I hate OB" rant, number 10,742, got it. You still didn't address the point though. You said that he was to stubborn to bring in the best coaches so what coaches should he have brought in? Or is it that you really meant he won't bring in somebody to replace himself and resign from his job like I think he should? Because if that is what you mean by stubborn then I would say 99% of the people that have to make a living are stubborn.

The only thing this team needs to do is to hire a real GM and let the Gm hire/fire whatever coaches he wants.

I have zero confidence that Cal knows his ass from his elbow, much less know anything about running an NFL Franchise.
I have zero confidence that OB will ever get his head out of his ass and be a head coach that can get this team to a SB.

Man since Obrien pretty gutted our defense, that should be the main focus this offseason.

1. Fire RAC or he should retire.
2. I would convince Wade Phillips to come back.
3. Hook Reader up with a decent contract.
4. Convince Watt to redo his contract to a lesser amount.
5. Find out what elite pass rushers who is on the market.
6. Call please tell Obrien to step away from the OC duties.

I don't disagree with your points but I do want to ask how was our defense was gutted by anybody? Not just OB but anybody in the Texas org. We really mainly lost Clowney and badger and then we fired Colvin. Clowney yeah we've beat that horse to death, not like we haven't a lot of other horses but still, and badger left because KC way over paid him. Texans made him a fair offer for his production on the field but KC thought he was their missing piece. Colvin was playing like crap and we haven't missed him at all, hell I would say we've been better without him.

Other than that they brought in some players to try and shore up the defense. I'll agree none of them were elite level talent but we really didn't have the resources to get elite level talent this year. Most of the guys they brought in were solid, not great but solid, and had some big moments. Only guy you can really say was a waste was Hargreaves but we figured that would be the case going in and we got him on a cheap, kick the tires, kind of deal. It was worth it to see if he could be our next badger who we also got on a cheap deal when everyone thought he was done.

Watt went out pretty early in the season, which always bring our defense down, and in the draft/FA we had to focus on protecting Watson. Many may disagree with how we did it but I don't think anyone will disagree with it needing to be done and we couldn't have done that and built an elite defense at the same time. This whole "OB gutted the defense" is a BS statement that some on this board started to make when they were trying to excuse RAC and his screw ups.

The only thing this team needs to do is to hire a real GM and let the Gm hire/fire whatever coaches he wants.

I have zero confidence that Cal knows his ass from his elbow, much less know anything about running an NFL Franchise.
I have zero confidence that OB will ever get his head out of his ass and be a head coach that can get this team to a SB.

Agree we need a new GM. Do not agree that it is the "only" thing we need to do.

You lack imagination. Every year this team gets stronger. They’re going to address the issues on the defensive side and we will have a better chance next season. We could possibly be the team to go 12-4 annually if Deshaun can get a top 15 defense. Remember, we still haven’t seen him with a decent defense. The fact he carried a bottom 5 defense into the playoffs in the 2nd round just shows one player can’t do it by himself and he’s pretty great at carrying his team.

I lack imagination, because I can keep the same opinion over what I've seen over a stretch of 8 years or so??

Sorry, but all you do is flip flop. You were trashing OB a week or so ago and claiming that Watson has his hands tied and all of this other stuff, and now its a guarantee that OB will get the roster all figured out and get the defense on track where it needs to be right? And who is going to run the offense then? O'Brien? You can sit here crawl up Watson's ass as usual in every post, but the reality is that he just got Peter Rolled 51-7 after having a 24 point lead. You're completely incapable of any constructive criticism of your hero, and you can't figure out what the hell to think or believe on O'Brien. Its a daily changing thing that you're still trying to figure out.

At this point I’m fairly acquainted with your negative opinion on Watson so I’m not sure there’s a need to bring it up yet again in
another thread. Just my opinion though.

More to the point I was trying to make, an elite RB would certainly help any young QB. If you kept 2 safeties deep again a back like Foster you’d rarely have to throw because he’d be consistently breaking off long runs

We had a strong running attack, so I have no idea why you even brought that up.

We had a strong running attack, so I have no idea why you even brought that up.

I believe football outsiders had us ranked 17th. I like Duke Johnson and thought he should’ve gotten more carries. I thought Hyde was solid but nothing special. I’d like a RB that the other team has to game plan stop, which would help Watson. I don’t think you need to do anything special to stop Hyde. Additionally, I’d like a back with 3 down potential as it presents more option for the defense to contend with. When Hyde is in the game there’s a 90% chance he won’t be involved in the passing game, that’s one less thing for Defenses to be concerned with.

another thread.
Just my opinion though.

Why do most on here feel like every post they make has to be some variation of "Fire OB" or "OB is an idiot" or "Cal and OB are idiots" and every other thread is something along those lines. Hell if the mods rolled all posts and threads on these topics into the "Fire Bill O'Brien" thread we would need another server upgrade to handle just it.

I don't agree with most of what Steel says but if you are going to call him out on repeating himself in every thread then there are a lot of other people guilty of the same thing just theirs happens to be the popular opinion so everyone excuses it.

Why do most on here feel like every post they make has to be some variation of "Fire OB" or "OB is an idiot" or "Cal and OB are idiots" and every other thread is something along those lines. Hell if the mods rolled all posts and threads on these topics into the "Fire Bill O'Brien" thread we would need another server upgrade to handle just it.

I don't agree with most of what Steel says but if you are going to call him out on repeating himself in every thread then there are a lot of other people guilty of the same thing just theirs happens to be the popular opinion so everyone excuses it.

my post had to do with adding a better RB to our offense, and I made the comment “imagine what our offense could be with a back like Foster and Watson”. The clear intent was about improving the RB position. I get a response discussing his negative views of Watson. He’s allowed to have his opinion, and I agree with some of his points, but it seems with SB Watson has become his new version of RS. His opinion on Watson seems to invade every thread.
Go read the fire OB thread, the majority of his posts are pointing out the negatives of Watson.... in a thread about OB. This thread is about improving the team in the off season.... he posted negative views of Watson in response to a post about improving the RB position. I get it, he doesn’t think Watson is good enough. I don’t need to hear the same thing ad nauseum.

And FYI, the only guy I have blocked on here posts negative crap about OB constantly. I don’t need to read the same things over and over. I’m not going to block SB because I enjoy most of his options, we just disagree on the potential of Watson. I know he has deficiencies, and I no needs to improve on things. What I don’t need is to read about it in every thread.

I also called him out because he responded to me, if others had responded to me with the stuff you’re talking about I’d call them out too.

my post had to do with adding a better RB to our offense, and I made the comment “imagine what our offense could be with a back like Foster and Watson”. The clear intent was about improving the RB position. I get a response discussing his negative views of Watson. He’s allowed to have his opinion, and I agree with some of his points, but it seems with SB Watson has become his new version of RS. His opinion on Watson seems to invade every thread.
Go read the fire OB thread, the majority of his posts are pointing out the negatives of Watson.... in a thread about OB. This thread is about improving the team in the off season.... he posted negative views of Watson in response to a post about improving the RB position. I get it, he doesn’t think Watson is good enough. I don’t need to hear the same thing ad nauseum.

And FYI, the only guy I have blocked on here posts negative crap about OB constantly. I don’t need to read the same things over and over. I’m not going to block SB because I enjoy most of his options, we just disagree on the potential of Watson. I know he has deficiencies, and I no needs to improve on things. What I don’t need is to read about it in every thread.

I also called him out because he responded to me, if others had responded to me with the stuff you’re talking about I’d call them out too.

I get it and I agree that he does beat the dead horses till they turn into glue I was just pointing out that others do the same. I admit I was coming across as overly critical of you Otis and for that I apologize. I get just as frustrated when every time a question about a player is raised some have the response of "well they would be better if they had a different HC" no matter what else was said.

You can upgrade all the servers you want. If O'Brien is in charge of them, they're going to suck. And if you didn't want so many posts about O'Brien, he shouldn't suck so much!

:D

I get it and I agree that he does beat the dead horses till they turn into glue I was just pointing out that others do the same. I admit I was coming across as overly critical of you Otis and for that I apologize. I get just as frustrated when every time a question about a player is raised some have the response of "well they would be better if they had a different HC" no matter what else was said.

I got ya.

“Stacks more talent”? wtf are you talking about? You live in a complete dreamworld junior. The KC game should’ve clue’d you in a little on the Texans lack of talent.

And a guy like Watson, who’s merely a decent to good NFL quarterback, isn’t capable of turning anyone like OBrien into a Hall Of Fame coach. So that scenario is nothing for you to worry about. OBrien will be gone no later than after the 2021 season.

Last edited:
I don't feel good about next year no matter how many steps they take..I think Cal knows this and is going to wait to clean house. Wait for what? I don't know.

What makes you think Cal knows anything and is going to clean house?

Honest question.

I have not seen anything about Cal since his blabbering corporate-speak last July 2019.

He has apparently abdicated his role as any sort of leader in order for O'Brien to consolidate power and have more control than any one man not named Belichick should have.

QFT. :bravo:

That said, I have absolutely no hope that the McNairs want to overhaul their boardroom-style 'consensus building' front office for a traditional power structure that is used by the overwhelming majority of championship-caliber franchises.

I have no confidence in them to even pick a good GM. The ghost of Charlie still haunts that place.

The way it's currently done is the way Bob McNair set it up and left it. I do not get the feeling that either Janice or Cal want to shake up the status quo in any significant sort of way.

They just had their head coach lead a team to some new dubious NFL records in an utter choke-job of a game, but yet they want to keep that man in charge. Maybe let him have some more power.

100 years of NFL football, and a Houston pro football team still finds a way to choke in unseen ways.

Ownership: *yawn* Let's do it again!

That, to me, says all I need to know about these owners.

And as customers....errr.....fans, we need to be pragmatic and adjust our expectations accordingly. Which means very low. . .no, lower than that. . .lower. . .lower. . .now that we're eating dirt, HERE'S YOUR PRICE INCREASE!

Back