Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can make the comparison that usually Belicheck’s team is slow to start, and usually lays an egg in the beginning of the season, and OBs team did/does too. The Texans seem to get better as this/previous seasons have gone on, and the Patriots usually do too.

The comparison ends there.

But - could one say that OB has opened up the playbook, and adapted more and more as the season goes on for some reason.

Does Belicheck do the same?

Is this the one thing OB learned from Belicheck?

Coach of year reminds me of talk I heard today about Alabama QB Jalen Hurts in running for Heisman after being removed as starter in last year's championship. He came in last Saturday after starter (all season) T'ua goes out with injury. Hurts brings Alabama from 14 points down IIRC and beats Georgia. IMO should he be Heisman winner? No but I recognize what he did and if he wins (Hurts or OBrien) I'm not complaining but will not ignore rest of season either.

Who the **** said Hurts is in the running for the Heisman? Don't see a comparison, anyone saying Hurts us in running for Heisman is a jackass, it is an award based on yearly achievements and Hurts barely played. O'Brien has been the coach all year and currently has the NFLs longest winning streak. OB is a legit coach of year candidate.

I have drank plenty of Bill O'Brien haterade over the years, but if you don't think he's a legit coach of the year candidate, I'd say you're just an un-objective hater. By any objective measure, OB should at the least, be in the conversation for HC of the year. Let it go people. Judge this year as this year only and tell me how he shouldn't be in the conversation. That should be interesting.

Well he's the OC and the offense can basically only score 20 points per game despite the defense giving them favorable field position all game.

He also got Watson injured with his OL shuffling.

The argument that he's just having the offense run so much because of the talent is revisionist history imo. The argument before this year was that he just needed a good QB to show off his amazing offense. Well he has Watson and the offense is only slightly better.

Well he's the OC and the offense can basically only score 20 points per game despite the defense giving them favorable field position all game.

The argument that he's just having the offense run so much because of the talent is revisionist history imo. The argument before this year was that he just needed a good QB to show off his amazing offense. Well he has Watson and the offense is only slightly better.
Didn't Watson get hurt trying to run over Jaylon Smith? And after this run, I give BOB credit for finding what works and playing within the team's limits. I do fault him for creating some of those limits in poor talent evaluation where some people want to put it all on RSmith but it is possible that this problem has been fixed w/ Gaine. BOB still has to show that he can produce a top offense as they acquire the right pieces, but he's at least earned the right to show he can after this year IMO.

Delete

How do injuries on the OL and DW4 holding the ball for 20 minutes on every pass play equal OB getting DW4 hurt due to "his" OL shuffling? I guess OB got the OL injured by placing them in the lineup?

I biotch plenty about OB but I disagree with you on those two points. It's funny how we all gripe about Miller up the middle when it goes for a yard, but we love it when he's breaking off big chunks. That 97 yarder on MNF was Miller up the middle. From what I've seen, it appears that OB has embraced the ZBS and we've seen an uptick in the running game. OB has his warts but also deserves credit for a 9 game winning streak.

Who'da thunk it heading into week 4 that the Texans would be able to clinch the AFC South in week 14? Certainly not me.

Delete

How do injuries on the OL and DW4 holding the ball for 20 minutes on every pass play equal OB getting DW4 hurt due to "his" OL shuffling? I guess OB got the OL injured by placing them in the lineup?

I biotch plenty about OB but I disagree with you on those two points. It's funny how we all gripe about Miller up the middle when it goes for a yard, but we love it when he's breaking off big chunks. That 97 yarder on MNF was Miller up the middle. From what I've seen, it appears that OB has embraced the ZBS and we've seen an uptick in the running game. OB has his warts but also deserves credit for a 9 game winning streak.

Who'da thunk it heading into week 4 that the Texans would be able to clinch the AFC South in week 14? Certainly not me.

I was referring to starting Rankin at LT and moving Davenport to RT. The OL was really bad because of that through the first half. Watson took an insane number of hits and I don't think it's because off holding the ball, he was pressured on 40+% of his dropbacks.

It's good he embraced zone blocking, but he did it late in my opinion

Bill O'Brien is improving in the area of play calling. Over the past 2-3 games we've seen some plays in which made some of say, "where the F was that at early on". I started calling the man Bob Obrien with the glasses on. Hahaha

Now should he be in the conversation of the coach of the year. Personally I say no, but the media will put him in there.

If we should win out, OB will have turned the franchise from a 2-14 season to a 13-3 season and a division title. This is what makes an impression outside of Texans fandom.

Well, doing well in the playoffs will certainly swing my vote.

Think about it, what quality team have the Texans whupped up on during this run?

Not saying he has to win it all (but I'll sure take that) but no more one-and-done showings, okay?

Well, doing well in the playoffs will certainly swing my vote.

Think about it, what quality team have the Texans whupped up on during this run?

Not saying he has to win it all (but I'll sure take that) but no more one-and-done showings, okay?

Only teams with a better strength of victory in the AFC are the Patriots and the Titans. Right now we have the 2nd best strength of victory on the AFC side of the playoffs, so why not apply this same argument to the Chiefs, Steelers, and Chargers?

Only teams with a better strength of victory in the AFC are the Patriots and the Titans. Right now we have the 2nd best strength of victory on the AFC side of the playoffs, so why not apply this same argument to the Chiefs, Steelers, and Chargers?
a) I'm not a fan of those teams.
b) who says I haven't?

I don't really trust the Chargers because they usually fade in the post season. Andy Reid doesn't have the most outstanding record of post season success either. What, one SB appearance...??
And who knows what the continuing soap opera that the Steelers have been this year will do.

a) I'm not a fan of those teams.
b) who says I haven't?

I don't really trust the Chargers because they usually fade in the post season. Andy Reid doesn't have the most outstanding record of post season success either. What, one SB appearance...??
And who knows what the continuing soap opera that the Steelers have been this year will do.

Idk you are using our "weak" schedule as a criticism, but we actually have one of the better strength of victories in the league kind of negating your argument. Could just be me being sensitive since I've seen numerous posters and talking heads want to discount the win streak because we "haven't played anyone" but the strength of victories tell another story

I see not much has changed around here.
A couple losses and this board blows up with FIRE so and so.
Then we hit a 9 game winning streak, and some folks do a 180, while others try to give credit to a schedule or whatever.
Face it, BOB is doing a great job and deserves that credit.
What we NEED is to get an O-Line, and then KEEP it.
Every time we do get one, they trade the players away. I blame most of that on our EX G.M.

Idk you are using our "weak" schedule as a criticism, but we actually have one of the better strength of victories in the league kind of negating your argument. Could just be me being sensitive since I've seen numerous posters and talking heads want to discount the win streak because we "haven't played anyone" but the strength of victories tell another story
I mentioned the schedule because playing/beating the so-so quality teams won't prep us to be strong in the playoffs is all.
That's the primary concern.
We've gotten to the playoffs before only to get embarrassed. I doubt any of us want a repeat of the performance that got Hoyer run out of town.

I mentioned the schedule because playing/beating the so-so quality teams won't prep us to be strong in the playoffs is all.
That's the primary concern.
We've gotten to the playoffs before only to get embarrassed. I doubt any of us want a repeat of the performance that got Hoyer run out of town.

I mean I get what you are saying, but it's not like this is college where we get to pick our out of conference games. All we can do is play our schedule right? and if we have only beat so-so teams than almost everyone else in the AFC is worse

I mean I get what you are saying, but it's not like this is college where we get to pick our out of conference games. All we can do is play our schedule right? and if we have only beat so-so teams than almost everyone else in the AFC is worse

I agree that all we can do is beat the teams we play but that doesn't change the fact that, for once, we were blessed with an easier schedule especially now when we need it most. The other teams in the running with us are about to face some tough battles, in some cases against each other, while after the colts we aren't playing any more winning teams until the playoffs. So while I'll enjoy this streak and give the team and BoB credit I still want to see how we do against other, playoff caliber teams before saying the team has turned the corner.

I would feel much better if our wins had come over teams like the Saints, Chiefs or Patriots. That being said people forget that the Patriots have been feasting on a weak division for years with only a couple of times that anyone else has even had a decent team. They've had pretty easy roads to division championships as well but the difference is once they got to the playoffs they didn't go one and done. Like it or not, fair or not, the only things that matter are playoffs and superbowls when the talk of "X of the year" starts.

If we should win out, OB will have turned the franchise from a 2-14 season to a 13-3 season and a division title. This is what makes an impression outside of Texans fandom.

True but the biggest component/factor in this successful equation is Coach Romeo Crennel. The defense went from a pile of horse diarrhea to back to being one if the best. Plus the injury bug hasn't plagued us like last season.

Last edited:
So he has fixed some of the play calling. Great. He needs to fix this next:

Offense Production:
1 touchdown
5 field goals (@35,38,42,48,53)
I posted this same thing in the Random thought thread. 5 FG's and ONE offensive TD's probably won't beat the Chargers/Steelers/Patriots/Chiefs of the playoff world.

I posted this same thing in the Random thought thread. 5 FG's and ONE offensive TD's probably won't beat the Chargers/Steelers/Patriots/Chiefs of the playoff world.

Exactly. The goal is a super bowl.

By dvoa, the Texans ranks are now:

Defense #6
Special Teams #8
Offense #21

The other two units are contender worthy, but the offense isn't.

Then we hit a 9 game winning streak, and some folks do a 180, while others try to give credit to a schedule or whatever.
Every time we do get one, they trade the players away. I blame most of that on our EX G.M.

2-14, then starting off the season 0-3 followed that up with surpassing the sorry ash Browns with longest losing streak. Of course every Texans blog/forum will blow up.

And we all know winning is the cure to it all.

I agree that all we can do is beat the teams we play but that doesn't change the fact that, for once, we were blessed with an easier schedule especially now when we need it most. The other teams in the running with us are about to face some tough battles, in some cases against each other, while after the colts we aren't playing any more winning teams until the playoffs. So while I'll enjoy this streak and give the team and BoB credit I still want to see how we do against other, playoff caliber teams before saying the team has turned the corner.

I would feel much better if our wins had come over teams like the Saints, Chiefs or Patriots. That being said people forget that the Patriots have been feasting on a weak division for years with only a couple of times that anyone else has even had a decent team. They've had pretty easy roads to division championships as well but the difference is once they got to the playoffs they didn't go one and done. Like it or not, fair or not, the only things that matter are playoffs and superbowls when the talk of "X of the year" starts.

This also helps with injury also.

Every time we hit a 9 game win streak they do this sht...

EVERY DMN TIME!!!

I'm sick of it... just sick of it.

Doubt we'd go up 20-0 against those teams so it's hard to say.

You know what's funny, Pat's beat HOU and KC. This season is similar to rockets last season. We know they good. But playoffs is different than regular season. We all waited for playoffs

Texans had an easy schedule. Dying for playoff football

You do realize you have games like that sometimes? Every team does...
My point was, that won't cut it in the playoffs. Against the Browns, fine, but not against those teams.
Doubt we'd go up 20-0 against those teams so it's hard to say
Exactly, against those teams I mentioned, it's possible the Texans are down 20-0. 5 FG's and won't cut it. Need some more consistency in the RZ.

2-14, then starting off the season 0-3 followed that up with surpassing the sorry ash Browns with longest losing streak. Of course every Texans blog/forum will blow up.

And we all know winning is the cure to it all.
Winning it all is the cure all. Winning 9, 10, 11, or 12 in a row won’t prevent a large portion of Texans fans from saying O’Brien was the fault Houston didn’t have a SB victory parade. All good faith he has earned will be burned.

And maybe that will be the appropriate attitude. The Texans haven’t surpassed BoB’s 9 win season high yet. The best of Texans seasons have ended in clunkers.

However it ends, as one of the last O’Brien supporters to jump off his bandwagon I’ll admit he does deserve credit for not allowing this team to implode after a long losing streak. If they let it get to their head and stumble across the finish line though...burn baby, burn.

Not really, more like anyone who doesn't think a coach who has his team at 9-3 after starting 0-3, first place in their division with a real shot to get a first round bye despite their being obvious holes in the team, with a 2nd year QB coming off of an ACL tear should be in the conversation for coach of the year is delusional.

Not that many holes. Still somehow the defense gets 4 turnovers and has as many touchdowns (again) as the offense. One potential touchdown taken directly away (again) by O'Brien thinking he can wear every hat - yelling at the refs, ignoring the clock situation, and not being the offensive coordinator already having the next play (or "call time out for us") in Watson's ear.

Not that many holes. Still somehow the defense gets 4 turnovers and has as many touchdowns (again) as the offense. One potential touchdown taken directly away (again) by O'Brien thinking he can wear every hat - yelling at the refs, ignoring the clock situation, and not being the offensive coordinator already having the next play (or "call time out for us") in Watson's ear.

This is the kind of stuff he can't get away with in the playoffs. Guys like Tomlin and Belichick will take advantage of it.

If you're going to quote numbers to support your argument you might want to make sure they are accurate. The Texans average 25.2 per game, good for 12th in a league of 32. Hardly terrible.

Beyond that, the goal of the game is to win, not score a ton of points. What good does it do to light up the scoreboard if the defense sucks? The Texans are employing a ball control offense to keep the opposing team on the bench, keep the D fresh, and keep Watson healthy. It's working. Go with it instead of complaining about lack of points.

If you're going to quote numbers to support your argument you might want to make sure they are accurate. The Texans average 25.2 per game, good for 12th in a league of 32. Hardly terrible.

Beyond that, the goal of the game is to win, not score a ton of points. What good does it do to light up the scoreboard if the defense sucks? The Texans are employing a ball control offense to keep the opposing team on the bench, keep the D fresh, and keep Watson healthy. It's working. Go with it instead of complaining about lack of points.

You need to take off the 21 points the defense scored. Plus several more scores in overtime or where the defense forced a turnover in opponent redzone.

You need to take off the 21 points the defense scored. Plus several more scores in overtime or where the defense forced a turnover in opponent redzone.

SMH, How many overtime games have they played and have you look into other stats from other teams that you seem to be infatuated with how other teams offenses are doing.

I'm excited to see how Gaine fixes the OL/CB issues next offseason.

With your DVOA is the only stat that matters and these histrionics, you’re just trying to find something to complain about.

“Or where the defense forces a turnover in opponents red zone”

C’mon man. You’re trying too hard.

I don't believe in BOB during the playoffs but I didn't believe in him to go on a 9 run streak after 0-3 either. Every Texans game I watch, I fully expect them to crap the bed and find a way to lose because of how much I don't trust BOB, but the team keeps winning despite my misgivings. For now, I've got a lot more trust in Watson and BOB riding his coattails on a playoff run. But I'm starting to get used to expecting us to crap the bed but winning anyways.

I have drank plenty of Bill O'Brien haterade over the years, but if you don't think he's a legit coach of the year candidate, I'd say you're just an un-objective hater. By any objective measure, OB should at the least, be in the conversation for HC of the year. Let it go people. Judge this year as this year only and tell me how he shouldn't be in the conversation. That should be interesting.
Drink all the kool-aid you want. If anyone deserves “coach of the year” accolades, it should be Romeo Crennel. He turned our defense back in the top 10. (Arguably) The offensive line coach should also be given some credit. O’Brien’s ass will be saved by them and Watson once again.

Drink all the kool-aid you want. If anyone deserves “coach of the year” accolades, it should be Romeo Crennel. He turned our defense back in the top 10. (Arguably) The offensive line coach should also be given some credit. O’Brien’s ass will be saved by them and Watson once again.
I aint no BOB apoligist or lover, but have to slightly disagree. This season, the rookies made a difference so thanks to Gaine. The special teams are a LOT better and I dare say won some games, so thanks to the skill focus by Gaine and coaching by Seely. And as much as we may not like it, Bill's ball control long drives help Romeo and the defense stay rested and have to play less. It does take time to kick 5 field goals and a TD as an example, check out the TOP. I do think DW4 is more responsible for making plays to keep these drives going then the great play calls. So I think no matter what we think, the top guy deserves some credit for running the overall ship. Again, get a OC so you can get better at game management boss

So if the team does bad it's all on O'Brien, but if the team does good it's just O'Brien being saved by everyone else around him? Some of yall are truly ignorant in your blind hate

But you see that doesn't matter, everyone is quick to hang the HC when the team sucks and say it doesn't matter who is to blame the buck stops with the HC. Ok fine but if the HC is going to get the blame for everything wrong then you have to give them credit for all the things that are right. It's true Crennel has made the Texan's D something to be feared again but he couldn't have done that if BoB hadn't given him the freedom to make the changes he felt needed to be made.

The leader of anything doesn't has to be the smartest guy in the room or know everything about everything he just has to get the best people possible for whatever job, give those people what they need to do the job, then give them enough slack in the reigns to do what they were hired to do. For the most part BoB seems to do that; not saying he's perfect as God knows I hate that "both HC and OC" BS and at times he tries to shoe horn Watson into being the type of QB BoB wants him to be instead of what he is. Overall though we are on a 9 game win streak and are the betting favorites for 3rd seed spot, if just a couple of stars align we could be 2nd or even 1st seed. If you can look at that and still think that everything BoB is doing is wrong then yeah you are just hating to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back