Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Lovie Smith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So in your honest opinion, you think Gannon didn't take the job because Cal told him he had to keep Lovie Smith among others on the staff?
Pretty much. Caserio informed Gannon that Caserio had already hired his coaching staff (AKA Culley II) to include Lovie as DC and Pep as OC. Gannon said thanks but no thanks.

Now I do wonder how that would've worked if Caserio could've hired his #2 pick Brian Flores (#1 Josh McDaniels but would not return calls :) ). Do you think Flores would have gone along with Caserio's coaching staff?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pretty much. Caserio informed Gannon that Caserio had already hired his coaching staff (AKA Culley II) to include Lovie as DC and Pep as OC. Gannon said thanks but no thanks.

Now I do wonder how that would've worked if Caserio could've hired his #2 pick Brian Flores (#1 Josh McDaniels but would not return calls :) ). Do you think Flores would have gone along with Caserio's coaching staff?
Cal wanted Lovie to stay as DC. Gannon said thanks but no thanks, Cal then hired Lovie as HC.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not what I've heard from 2 different sources.
You're telling the story from the moment Nick realized Gannon was the last one on his list.

Before that the coaching staff (minus Kelly) was part of the package. There was a lot of discussion about it here. That was a big reason Josh McCown looked good for the job. Who else (other than Mike Tomlin) would not insist on bringing in their own staff?

But when Gannon was the last guy on his list Caserio was like, "He's got us Cal. He's the last guy on the list we're going to have to acquiesce to his demands."

Cal was like, "Fthat, this is our team. We do the telling. We'll start over. New list."

Nick: "do I have too?"

Cal: "well, check with Lovie. If he'll take the job we can put it off for a couple of years."

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Not what I've heard from 2 different sources.
Let me say this for sure. Even when they narrowed it down to Frazier and Culley, it was already known it would be Culley because Frazier and Lovie had a falling out in Tampa. So there was no chance in hell Frazier was going to hire Lovie, who was already in a hotel in Houston waiting to be on staff. See how those bs blocks were put together? That's why the whole Cal hires the coach is trash. These are simply facts my brother.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let me say this for sure. Even when they narrowed it down to Frazier and Culley, it was already known it would be Culley because Frazier and Lovie had a falling out in Tampa. So there was no chance in hell Frazier was going to hire Lovie, who was already in a hotel in Houston waiting to be on staff. See how those bs blocks were put together? That's why the whole Cal hires the coach is trash. These are simply facts my brother.
So Caserio wanted to hire a DC whose scheme he was unfamiliar with? Man this org is so screwed if you're right.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So Caserio wanted to hire a DC whose scheme he was unfamiliar with? Man this org is so screwed if you're right.
You don't think Caserio is familiar with Frazier's scheme? I would think he knew that better than he did Lovie's

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't think Caserio is familiar with Frazier's scheme? I would think he knew that better than he did Lovie's
It's all Tampa 2 and Caserio has never worked with a guy that's base defense is a Tampa 2. That what makes .me think Lovie's not a Caserio hire.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Lovie was already in Houston in the hotel posted up like Hakeem, when they had the choices down to Leslie and Culley. Leslie Frazier worked under Lovie in Tampa and Lovie took over the play calling from him. There was no way that Frazier was going to work under Lovie even though they both are Cover 2 base defensive coaches. You think it was Cal's idea to pursue that angle?

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It's all Tampa 2 and Caserio has never worked with a guy that's base defense is a Tampa 2. That what makes .me think Lovie's not a Caserio hire.
Well Cal certainly hadn't had any exposure to Tampa 2

Porky

Hall of Fame
80% chance Lovie is gone, 10% chance Nick is gone.

as much as I’d like Cal to grow a pair and get a real GM, I don’t see it. So Nick will be on his 3rd HC search in as many years. After flailing around like a lost beached Whale during the first two and completely botching both, he damn sure better have a plan. take the bull by the horns, and produce a real HC and let the HC choose his assistants and go back to being overly analytical and get back in the boardroom like you are running a tech company in Simi Valley. Be sure to elevate all the injury prone guys on your draft list. Put a little star by their name. It’s all worked really well like this so far. What could possibly go wrong.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Rumor only, but I am seeing smoke that if the Fins lose to the Jets this week, Mike McDaniel is on the chopping block.

If he is let go, I would be on the plane headed to Miami with a blank check before he even had a chance to tell his wife. He would easily go to the head of the class for me. Imagine a McDaniel and Young duo with a tweaked version of the Shanny offense.

This would make my off-season.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Rumor only, but I am seeing smoke that if the Fins lose to the Jets this week, Mike McDaniel is on the chopping block.

If he is let go, I would be on the plane headed to Miami with a blank check before he even had a chance to tell his wife. He would easily go to the head of the class for me. Imagine a McDaniel and Young duo with a tweaked version of the Shanny offense.

This would make my off-season.
He'd probably be the first choice for more than one team looking for a new HC, and I'd expect the Texans would be anyone's last choice.

Reactions: JB

Porky

Hall of Fame
He'd probably be the first choice for more than one team looking for a new HC, and I'd expect the Texans would be anyone's last choice.
Well, depends on your POV. We have a guarantee of Young/Stroud at either #1 or #2. A high-upside young signal caller to mold has to appeal to a McDaniel. We have good cap space and with a McDainel in-house, they might get a couple of good gets during FA, there are 3 other 1st rounders this year and next, no state-income tax which helps high-income earners, a football-starved fanbase, and there's a little more talent here than the record suggests. A top level HC and staff could get 6 or 7 wins out of the team as currently constructed. This team is WAY under-coached and needs a change badly.

With McDaniel here, this team could get rolling in the second half of next season ala JAX this year and really get on a roll and they could compete for the division title next year. This division is ripe for the taking. With Mike M here, I'm convinced that could happen. A new coach and QB, a couple of FA's, a few more draft picks...I can see the division title from here. Add a few more pieces in 24 and a QB in his second season - now you're talking serious contender.

The blueprint for a relatively quick turnaround is there. Look at Cincy. We need a damn good coach to make this happen and Nick needs to pull the right levers, and it could happen. Several big if's but this is possible.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well, depends on your POV. We have a guarantee of Young/Stroud at either #1 or #2. A high-upside young signal caller to mold has to appeal to a McDaniel. We have good cap space and with a McDainel in-house, they might get a couple of good gets during FA, there are 3 other 1st rounders this year and next, no state-income tax which helps high-income earners, a football-starved fanbase, and there's a little more talent here than the record suggests. A top level HC and staff could get 6 or 7 wins out of the team as currently constructed. This team is WAY under-coached and needs a change badly.

With McDaniel here, this team could get rolling in the second half of next season ala JAX this year and really get on a roll and they could compete for the division title next year. This division is ripe for the taking. With Mike M here, I'm convinced that could happen. A new coach and QB, a couple of FA's, a few more draft picks...I can see the division title from here. Add a few more pieces in 24 and a QB in his second season - now you're talking serious contender.

The blueprint for a relatively quick turnaround is there. Look at Cincy. We need a damn good coach to make this happen and Nick needs to pull the right levers, and it could happen. Several big if's but this is possible.
Yes, the Texans do have all that.

But, they also have Cal and Janice McNair making football decisions. I doubt any HC wants those dolts demanding anything on draft day.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

But, they also have Cal and Janice McNair making football decisions. I doubt any HC wants those dolts demanding anything on draft day.
That’s kind of a plus really. If Easterby and OB was able to do the things they did this is a dream destination.

Except for when you hear about the stories that got Hopkins traded and the coaching hiring process.

Porky

Hall of Fame

There you go putting the pin in my balloon lol. For a change, I was being positive and now you've brought me back to reality. Well, my fantasy world was fun while I was there.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I can also see a turnaround but not serious contenders just yet. Maybe 3-4 years if the coaching clicks and the rookies hit.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wonder why Miami might dump him. I saw a video where he was acting kinda kwerky. I wonder if he’s too eccentric for an NFL HC.
Harbaugh and Ross are big Michigan Alums.

If McDaniel is fired, he should be the 1st call Cal makes and once he's inside the doors on Kirby, Cal should do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't leave.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Harbaugh and Ross are big Michigan Alums.

If McDaniel is fired, he should be the 1st call Cal makes and once he's inside the doors on Kirby, Cal should do whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't leave.

McDaniels is a fruitcake. I want no part of him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
If it's about hiring his fellow alum what difference does winning on Sunday make?

Sounds like click bait speculation
Ross is a Michigan guy and is from Detroit. Maybe speculation but if Harbaugh leaves, Miami makes a lot of sense. If I were to place a bet, I would bet on Harbaugh to Miami.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
As I posted Denver is prepared to offer either 20 million plus per year I don't think mcnair will do that .
There's only one or maybe two other NFL owners if that who could compete with the new Denver ownership financially, which could buy and sell owners like the The McNairs or Jones out of their petty cash account.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ross is a Michigan guy and is from Detroit. Maybe speculation but if Harbaugh leaves, Miami makes a lot of sense. If I were to bet I would bet on Harbaugh to Miami.
Again, my question is what difference does it make if McDaniels wins or loses?

if Ross wants to bring in Harbaugh who cares if McDaniels wins the last game?

Status
Not open for further replies.