Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Lovie Smith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
was Culley the only elderly minority coach out there? I understand his pool might have been limited, but still… Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Todd Bowles, there were better choices out there.

& if you remove “elderly” you have much better choices, Robert Saleh & Byron Leftwhich

Even if you secretly planned this to be a “bridge” coach, any one of those guys would have made more sense than Culley.

But Caserio chose Culley. There is nothing, nothing to suggest Cal told Nick to hire Culley specifically. He might have gave him particular parameters. But Caserio picked Culley.
I don’t think anyone of those coaches would’ve taken this job.

Reactions: JB
What would those motives possibly have been?
He came into a team that a top 5 QB could only win 4 games with and had stated he wouldn't play another down for the Texans. So he hires Culley after the interview with EB didn't go well because Watson and Culley got on well together at the probowl. Caserio knew there was no way to rebuild the Texans in one or two years but with high enough draft picks could get it done sooner rather than later. Kelly had to go because he had Mills playing too well so Lovie an Pep move up for a year, Texans get another year of suck and maybe two! And Cal has been on board with the plan to suck all along :troll:

He came into a team that a top 5 QB could only win 4 games with and had stated he wouldn't play another down for the Texans. So he hires Culley after the interview with EB didn't go well because Watson and Culley got on well together at the probowl. Caserio knew there was no way to rebuild the Texans in one or two years but with high enough draft picks could get it done sooner rather than later. Kelly had to go because he had Mills playing too well so Lovie an Pep move up for a year, Texans get another year of suck and maybe two! And Cal has been on board with the plan to suck all along :troll:

That's some deep conspiracy theory stuff there.

:spit: Good one! :lol:

And you're a legend in your own mind
Lol

I'm certainly not legend. I simply want to know what your opinion of what an opinion is verses a bias and how I'm biased.

To call someone biased without proving their biases is simply wrong and frankly lazy. Why? Because false ( IMHO) statements like these when said by multiple posters take on a life of their own and new posters will believe them as fact when this is not the case. It's an attempt (weak) to influence how people think.

It's what the national media does as a profession these days.

Example: was I biased when I said back in 2010 that the McNair's only cares about making money and putting a championship level quality product on the field was a low priority? What people are saying now pales in comparison to the things they're saying now.

Was I correct back then, or was my opinion biased?

Last edited:
I personally think Culley did a great job with the talent he had on hand he won exactly the number of games I thought he would win. Plus he was proven correct in that he wanted to keep Kelly over promoting Kelly, which is why he got fired. This was a mistake by Caserio.
Correct. Strike 3

I don’t think anyone of those coaches would’ve taken this job.
Frazier & Caldwell were interviewed. Presumably they would have taken the job.

The others weren’t even interviewed so to suggest they wouldn’t take the job misses the point. I’m more upset about the process, the 1st time & the 2nd time & I don’t believe I have the stomach to watch a 3rd time.

Personally I believe Caldwell, Frazier, & even Bowles would have jumped at a 2nd opportunity that most coaches don’t get.

The others weren’t even interviewed so to suggest they wouldn’t take the job misses the point. I’m more upset about the process, the 1st time & the 2nd time & I don’t believe I have the stomach to watch a 3rd time.

Personally I believe Caldwell, Frazier, & even Bowles would have jumped at a 2nd opportunity that most coaches don’t get.
You better get some Pepto because chances are the McNair's will continue to hire the HC's whether Caserio is the GM, or Caserio's fired and they bring in a new GM.

Lol

I'm certainly not legend. I simply want to know what your opinion of what an opinion is verses a bias and how I'm biased.

To call someone biased without proving their biases is simply wrong and frankly lazy. Why? Because false ( IMHO) statements like these when said by multiple posters take on a life of their own and new posters will believe them as fact when this is not the case. It's an attempt (weak) to influence how people think.

It's what the national media does as a profession these days.

Example: was I biased when I said back in 2010 that the McNair's only cares about making money and putting a championship level quality product on the field was a low priority? What people are saying now pales in comparison to the things they're saying now.

Was I correct back then, or was my opinion biased?
Easy to explain. Bias is when (like you) someone states that all short QB's will fail. Opinion is when after watching a QB (like Young) someone states that they fail because they're short. See the difference? You've never seen Young fail but insist he will because he is short. That is bias

Strike 1.
For me the process that didn’t interview “the best” candidates was strike one.

picking Culley was strike 2.

firing Culley was strike 3

poor cap management strike 4

the same goofy HC search process strike 5

Lovie & Pep strike 6

Of course this is with hindsight. I was on board with Caserio & defended everything he did until he drafted Mills with his first pick. Nothing against Mills who I came to & still like, but I did not understand it at the time

I even defended Culley best I could but there is no good reason for firing a HC after a year or less unless you admit it was a mistake to hire him in the 1st place

I was beyond excited when I heard Cal was bringing Caserio to Houston on his private jet. I believed there was a plan. Now, I’m not liking how this plan is playing out. Feels like we’re waiting in Limbo for Lovie to get canned because the rebuild doesn’t start until we’re past him. You know this.

Only difference between you & me is that I hope Nick goes with him. Two 1st round picks the next two drafts should attract legit candidates

Easy to explain. Bias is when (like you) someone states that all short QB's will fail. Opinion is when after watching a QB (like Young) someone states that they fail because they're short. See the difference? You've never seen Young fail but insist he will because he is short. That is bias
History says drafting Young gives you a 1- in a million chance of winning a SB. That's a fact after looking at all of the QB's that have won SB's and the Texans would be fools to draw at an inside straight by drafting Young.

That's an opinion based on fact not based on bias. People can say yeah but Young's the guy that's going to break the mold. Would you really want to bet on that? I wouldn't. Particularly if I was in Caserio's shoes, but I don't think he's going to have a choice in the matter. Gotta get back to selling those tickets.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
For me the process that didn’t interview “the best” candidates was strike one.

picking Culley was strike 2.

firing Culley was strike 3

poor cap management strike 4

the same goofy HC search process strike 5

Lovie & Pep strike 6

Of course this is with hindsight. I was on board with Caserio & defended everything he did until he drafted Mills with his first pick. Nothing against Mills who I came to & still like, but I did not understand it at the time

I even defended Culley best I could but there is no good reason for firing a HC after a year or less unless you admit it was a mistake to hire him in the 1st place

I was beyond excited when I heard Cal was bringing Caserio to Houston on his private jet. I believed there was a plan. Now, I’m not liking how this plan is playing out. Feels like we’re waiting in Limbo for Lovie to get canned because the rebuild doesn’t start until we’re past him. You know this.

Only difference between you & me is that I hope Nick goes with him. Two 1st round picks the next two drafts should attract legit candidates
Once again Caserio doesn't hire the HC's.

The Texans have the 7th most cap space in the NFL, with the ability to create more if need be and really don't need to create more at this time since no top tier FA's are going to sign with them anyways.

History says drafting Young gives you a 1- in a million chance of winning a SB. That's a fact after looking at all of the QB's that have won SB's and the Texans would be fools to draw at an inside straight by drafting Young.
That proves your bias. You're not basing your opinion on Young himself, but on your bias of short QB's.

That proves your bias. You're not basing your opinion on Young himself, but on your bias of short QB's.

It's not biased to think that Young's not a one in a million trend breaking QB.

Do you think Young's that guy?

If you were Caserio would you bet your career on it? Because that's essentially what Caserio would be doing if he had a choice in the matter. Which I dont think he will have a choice in the matter because the McNair's haven't changed how they do business even though Bob is taking a dirt nap.

Once again Caserio doesn't hire the HC's.
He absolutely hired David Culley.

The Texans have the 7th most cap space in the NFL, with the ability to create more if need be
They should be at 2nd or 3rd with the ability to create more if need be.

Doesn’t matter if they have “enough.”

That’s the payoff for enduring a 1 win season. That’s the sign that the organization knows what it’s doing. That you have the right guys making the right decisions to rebuild & lead the team to winning.

BO’b started digging a hole he couldn’t get out of & Nick has continued to dig

The deal breaker is not being able to hire your own coaching staff. The second deal breaker was the drama with Watson. Finally the third deal breaker was how O’Brien left them with no first and second draft picks and the mismanagement of the cap.
These are the reasons why I don’t think those coaches would’ve taken this job.

The deal breaker is not being able to hire your own coaching staff. The second deal breaker was the drama with Watson. Finally the third deal breaker was how O’Brien left them with no first and second draft picks and the mismanagement of the cap.
These are the reasons why I don’t think those coaches would’ve taken this job.
So we’re talking about why I didn’t like the process. Guys I would have thought were good candidates weren’t even interviewed. They didn’t even get the opportunity to balk at those issues.

So again, I don’t like the way he went about it. Cal had to take back the HC hiring power. & if Nick isn’t going to be hiring the next HC, it’s time for him to go

So we’re talking about why I didn’t like the process. Guys I would have thought were good candidates weren’t even interviewed. They didn’t even get the opportunity to balk at those issues.

So again, I don’t like the way he went about it. Cal had to take back the HC hiring power. & if Nick isn’t going to be hiring the next HC, it’s time for him to go
We don’t know what’s going to happen in the next few years. Maybe they’ll start operating like a NFL organization should. Time will tell

Thing I don’t understand, why is Cal giving away these huge contracts to Culley 4 years 22 million & Lovie Smith 5 years 25 million while Brandon Staley, who interviewed first in 2021 signed with the Chargers, 4 years 4 million?

Sure seems like the McNairs inner circle has been misinformed from O’Brian, Easterby and Caserio.

Thing I don’t understand, why is Cal giving away these huge contracts to Culley 4 years 22 million & Lovie Smith 5 years 25 million while Brandon Staley, who interviewed first in 2021 signed with the Chargers, 4 years 4 million?

Sure seems like the McNairs inner circle has been misinformed from O’Brian, Easterby and Caserio.
Or… when the Texans began negotiating at $4M Culley & Lovie laughed knowing they got the bull by the oysters.

Last edited:
History says drafting Young gives you a 1- in a million chance of winning a SB. That's a fact after looking at all of the QB's that have won SB's...
There has been 55 Super Bowls. Over those 55 years, only 33 QB's have won a Super Bowl. And how many QB's have been drafted? A lot.

History proves that for any QB drafted, the chance of that QB winning a Super Bowl is very slim.

Only 7 starting QB's selected #1 has won the Super Bowl. Two others won rings as backups.

And overall, I count 20 (this could be miscounted) that were drafted in the first round. So drafting a QB in the first round does give a team a slight advantage (20/55 or 20/33) in the odds of winning the SB.

History shows that drafting any qb is a crapshoot. Drafting Williams in '24 does not realistically increase your chances.

(edit) If I counted correctly, 26 qb's have been selected #1 since 1967. So seven of these have won a SB. A tad better than 25%. Pretty good odds. Now the discussion is, can a small qb break into this elite group of seven (or 20)? I don't think you can draw any firm conclusion from such a small number.

Last edited:

Maybe it has nothing much to do with football.

It's possible, given the poor condition of the franchise, those guys declined to even be interviewed.

You don't know if they were contacted or not... iirc some declined to interview

There has been 55 Super Bowls. Over those 55 years, only 33 QB's have won a Super Bowl. And how many QB's have been drafted? A lot.

History proves that for any QB drafted, the chance of that QB winning a Super Bowl is very slim.

Only 7 starting QB's selected #1 has won the Super Bowl. Two others won rings as backups.

And overall, I count 20 (this could be miscounted) that were drafted in the first round. So drafting a QB in the first round does give a team a slight advantage (20/55 or 20/33) in the odds of winning the SB.

History shows that drafting any qb is a crapshoot. Drafting Williams in '24 does not realistically increase your chances.
It does if you think he's the better QB

The way you laid it out it doesn't matter if you need a QB any old QB will do.

When you have a chance to draft a QB and it looks like he has the potential to be a top 10 QB, you have to go for it.

Let say the Texans go for a bridge veteran QB in 2023, they might end up winning 4-6 games with an improved roster, wouldn't you say?

That would take them out of the running for the top two QBs in the 2004 draft.

The bottom teams are most likely wanting a QB.

Even if that team doesn't need a QB, it would be very expensive to trade up for the guy that you like.

Or are you saying that the Texans will be in tank mode again?

Any qb professionally rated as a first round prospect, this is a fairly accurate statement. I just edited my original comment for qb's selected #1; so I'd say that any qb professionally rated as a #1 prospect, this is even more accurate.

To the point of Young, he's being rated as a #1 talent, with his only negative being his size. When it comes to superior talent, size may be overcome, so yes, with the right team, his chances of breaking into this elite group is as good as a larger player. I'm not saying the Texans are the right team.

Last edited:
Okay... word it anyway you want. You don't have to acknowledge your bias that everyone else can see. I'm not going further down the rabbit hole
It's not wording it's the truth and some around these parts don't particularly care for the truth, because it doesn't fit the vision of the team they want. Some would rather be entertained than have the best chance possible of winning a championship.

Winning entertains me and every move that's made should be made with winning a championship as the only goal.

Since their inception winning championships have been a low priority for the McNair's.

This draft will tell me if Cal is like his Dad, or if he's willing to play the long game to give his org their best chance to win championships, like Crane did with the Stros.

You would think fans would look at the Crane/Luhnow model and be fully on board with a complete rebuild, but I guess some are unable to learn.

Any qb professionally rated as a first round prospect, this is a fairly accurate statement. I just edited my original comment for qb's selected #1; so I'd say that any qb professionally rated as a #1 prospect, this is even more accurate.

To the point of Young, he's being rated as a #1, with his only negative being his size. When it comes to superior talent, size may be overcome, so yes, with the right team, his chances of breaking into this elite group is as good as a larger player. I'm not saying the Texans are the right team.
You could possibly be right

But I wouldn't bet my job on it if I was in Caserio's shoes.

Can you clarify, seemed very low so using the google machine I found these guys as the lowest paid. I Don't disagree the contracts are silly the Texans gave out, but where did you get your Staley info?:
  • Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns – $3.5 million. ...
  • Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos – $4 million. ...
  • Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys – $4 million. ...
  • Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals – $4.5 million. ...
  • Robert Saleh, New York Jets – $5 million.

When you have a chance to draft a QB and it looks like he has the potential to be a top 10 QB, you have to go for it.

Let say the Texans go for a bridge veteran QB in 2023, they might end up winning 4-6 games with an improved roster, wouldn't you say?

That would take them out of the running for the top two QBs in the 2004 draft.

The bottom teams are most likely wanting a QB.

Even if that team doesn't need a QB, it would be very expensive to trade up for the guy that you like.

Or are you saying that the Texans will be in tank mode again?
Lol unless they give up both of their first round picks , a second round pick and a fourth round pick to move up to the number 1 spot.
See that’s it right there, what if the Texans win around 4-7!games next season? Then you’ll have fans upset because they didn’t tank like they suppose too. They’ll be complaining if we gave up too much to move up to number 1. Especially when we all know they’ll still have a bunch holes to fill.

Lol unless they give up both of their first round picks , a second round pick and a fourth round pick to move up to the number 1 spot.
See that’s it right there, what if the Texans win around 4-7!games next season? Then you’ll have fans upset because they didn’t tank like they suppose too. They’ll be complaining if we gave up too much to move up to number 1. Especially when we all know they’ll still have a bunch holes to fill.
You move up the one spot and it's worth it because these 2 guys are better than any QB in this class.

I don't think the Bears had to give up that much when they traded up 1 spot with the 49ers to draft Trubiski.

You move up the one spot and it's worth it because these 2 guys are better than any QB in this class.

I don't think the Bears had to give up that much when they traded up 1 spot with the 49ers to draft Trubiski.
But then we’ll be crying he doesn’t have weapons. Is that what you want?

Bears - 2017 1.2

Niners 2017 1.3 + 3.67 + 4.11 + 2018 3rd

The Niners traded 3.67 to the Saints and that pick became Alvin Kamara. The Niners 3rd round pick from the Bears in 2018 became Fred Warner.

This is a cautionary tale. Don't burn draft picks trading up, because the guys you trade may be better than the guy you traded for.

It's possible, given the poor condition of the franchise, those guys declined to even be interviewed.
We can go down that rabbit hole, sure.

We can "what if" this thing to death. The Jets haven't had a winning season in over 10 years. All the teams looking for a new HC then had warts... but Houston was the only team that Saleh, Dabol, or Pederson wouldn't talk to?

Only 32 of these jobs. But Bowles wouldn't be interested in a 2nd chance.

Yeah, we can go down that rabbit hole

Any qb professionally rated as a first round prospect, this is a fairly accurate statement.
I'm calling foul if Bryce Young is rated "professionally" as a top 5 player in this draft.

Just like Bridgewater was "professionally" rated as a top 5 player in his draft. 32 teams didn't think like the "professionals"

They're "professional" journalists, scouting-journalists maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back