Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Fire Lovie Smith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you feel about OC?
Dang 19 what a tease, I heard that about you !
Seriously though that's a move that would have some appeal for me, but thing is whoever the next HC is around here I would hope he would be able to choose his own coordinators.

In a way I hope McCown gets the job. If he does, know that Janice hired him.

I don't care who they hire. Hiring McCown would just confirm what we already know. So do it. The franchise is already an absolute joke that nobody cares about. This move would continue the trend that they are more entertaining off the field than on it.

Not owner, GM. And this question was not specific to the Texans. I think it not unreasonable that McCowen be in the OC discussion.

He has already said that he does not want to be an assistance coach. He'd already be doing it if he was interested. He wants a position that he doesn't have to earn. Like Cal McNair.

Why would anyone hire McCown for OC or HC. Based on what? Some pie in the sky idea that he played a long time so must know something. What a freaking joke that we're even discussing this idea. Come on guys! (and/or gals, it's, they, them, cisgenders, cross dressers, trans, untrans, gay, straight, bi, bye bye, vampires and werewolves)

Why would anyone hire McCown for OC or HC. Based on what? Some pie in the sky idea that he played a long time so must know something. What a freaking joke that we're even discussing this idea. Come on guys! (and/or gals, it's, they, them, cisgenders, cross dressers, trans, untrans, gay, straight, bi, bye bye, vampires and werewolves)

Yep. And this franchise has interviewed him through two head coaching hires! lol

I'm all about "embrace the suck", and not just the short term for better draft capital. I'm talking Detroit Lions kinda' suckage. Years and years of it stacked against each other like a neglected cat box.

The McNairs will never be good owners. There were still too many fans at the stadium yesterday. I want it to get so bad that there is literally less than 1% capacity. I want the McNairs to feel the impact of their terrible management when they see an empty stadium and doors close on them when they start to come around whining about a new stadium or upgrades. I want them to feel unwanted by this city. I want them to leave.

I love this city too much to see it perpetually tarnished by a crappy football organization.

Couldn't agree more (DB). I go back to the Oilers, and as shitty as Bud ran that team at times, he was light years ahead of the McNairs. Hell, I remember Ladd Herzeg mooning a wedding party after punching the brother of the bride in the face and then being arrested because the band was playing late... and he was still a WAY better GM than any of the Texans GM's lol.

Yep. And this franchise has interviewed him through two head coaching hires! lol

I'm all about "embrace the suck", and not just the short term for better draft capital. I'm talking Detroit Lions kinda' suckage. Years and years of it stacked against each other like a neglected cat box.

The McNairs will never be good owners. There were still too many fans at the stadium yesterday. I want it to get so bad that there is literally less than 1% capacity. I want the McNairs to feel the impact of their terrible management when they see an empty stadium and doors close on them when they start to come around whining about a new stadium or upgrades. I want them to feel unwanted by this city. I want them to leave.

I love this city too much to see it perpetually tarnished by a crappy football organization.

I've been saying I would rather not have NFL football than have NFL football with the McNair's as owners since 2010. Remember I was called crazy/a traitor/lectured on the value of an NFL team to the city etc.... since 2010.

What's crazy is nobody would listen then and some aren't listening to me now as to the root cause of what's wrong with the Texans org. Hint: It ain't Caserio/Lovie/Pep etc... The McNair's are simply profiteers who could care less about the product on field.

Not owner, GM. And this question was not specific to the Texans. I think it not unreasonable that McCowen be in the OC discussion.
I think it's very unreasonable to give anyone with no coaching experience, outside of their kids high school, a position as critical as OC. I would be cool with QB coach/asst. OC, but not OC.

I think it's very unreasonable to give anyone with no coaching experience, outside of their kids high school, a position as critical as OC. I would be cool with QB coach/asst. OC, but not OC.

Not only does he have no coaching experience, he hasn’t even bothered to get any. What’s he been doing the last 2 seasons since the Texans first interviewed him? Not interested in a guy going straight to the top with no interest in paying any dues.

I think a head coach should make that decision based upon his vision for the team. What offense will McCown run? Is he a run heavy guy? Does he like to go out of the shotgun? Does he favor 11 personnel? We know nothing about McCown as an OC because he's never coached in the league a day in his life.

I think a head coach should make that decision based upon his vision for the team. What offense will McCown run? Is he a run heavy guy? Does he like to go out of the shotgun? Does he favor 11 personnel? We know nothing about McCown as an OC because he's never coached in the league a day in his life.

This is the core of the problem. If he wants to coach then cool. Maybe he'll even be good at it. He should start with an entry level position working with the QB's or some group on that side of the ball that he is familiar with. OC? No. Players go into coaching all the time but they don't just miracle up coaching gigs out of nowhere. At least not with teams that have some sort of respectable front office and ownership. McCown to HC is crazy talk. Seriously. Madness. McCown as OC is still premature.

Players go into coaching all the time but they don't just miracle up head coaching gigs out of nowhere. At least not with teams that have some sort of respectable front office and ownership. McCown to HC is crazy talk. Seriously. Madness.
I think what makes McCown a consideration to some fans (and owners) is that McCown would actually take the Texans HC job.

If you count Romero Crennel, who coached the majority of the 2020 season after OB was canned, then Lovie Smith is the 4th head coach in four years. If you fire him, then next year we'll be going on our 5th HC in five years. You can not build a winning team that way. On the other hand, Lovie is a temp and we all know it. His days are numbered, it's just a matter of when.

If you count Romero Crennel, who coached the majority of the 2020 season after OB was canned, then Lovie Smith is the 4th head coach in four years. If you fire him, then next year we'll be going on our 5th HC in five years. You can not build a winning team that way. On the other hand, Lovie is a temp and we all know it. His days are numbered, it's just a matter of when.
Can you really count OB though?

2019 OB
2020 OB/Crennel
2021 Cully
2022 Lovie
2023 who??? Maybe Lovie, maybe not. We'll have to wait on that.
I wouldn't count Crennel.

Otherwise, I would agree.

They should never haved hired Culley in the first place.

Nor Lovie for that matter.
His records haven't been any good for the last decade.

Heck, they shouldn't have hired OB either.
His only track record was with Belichik running the show and Brady at QB.
His time at Penn State was too short.
He was no Saban, Carrol, Jimmy Johnson and the likes.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lovie Smith is canned though he seems to be a class act. Still it is the organization that needs to be cleaned out and revived there. Been a mess since Mr. McNair's passing.

I want to clean house starting with Car Stereo and working down to the guy that sweeps the locker room floor. Start over completely. Break it down to bare earth and rebuild the right way, without the stench of NE or the preacher man. I’m not sure Cal is capable of doing it right, that’s my concern.

I want to clean house starting with Car Stereo and working down to the guy that sweeps the locker room floor. Start over completely. Break it down to bare earth and rebuild the right way, without the stench of NE or the preacher man. I’m not sure Cal is capable of doing it right, that’s my concern.

Will you be upset if Cal gives Caserio a decent chance to prove himself.

If he "nails" this draft would you still want him replaced?

Or wait to see if this draft class does significantly improve the talent on the team?

:coffee:

Who would you replace Caserio with? I think the better question would be, who will take the GM position here after the Texans have shown that they don't respect the GM position.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lovie Smith is canned though he seems to be a class act. Still it is the organization that needs to be cleaned out and revived there. Been a mess since Mr. McNair's passing.

Since 2010.

Will you be upset if Cal gives Caserio a decent chance to prove himself.

If he "nails" this draft would you still want him replaced?

players are only going to get you so far. These coaches aren’t winning anything. Give them Brady, the best OL, best WRs, best defensive players… & we’ll be fighting to get into the WC Hunt.

Need to bring in a new bunch of coaches, but I don’t want Nick in charge of the search.

I’d rather my GM picking the HC, I don’t trust Nick to hire the HC… nope, bring in a new GM & let him work with those draft picks. We can probably attract a really good candidate like Elliott Wolf with those picks

I prefer to roll with caserio personally, I have no idea how good he is but definitely not a big fan of quick knee jerk reactions unless something absolutely nuts comes to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2 drafts , 4 Ws two seasons backwards to probably a 1 W season. Players including QB regressing and you think a removal is knee jerk?

I wouldn't count Crennel.

Otherwise, I would agree.

They should never haved hired Culley in the first place.

Nor Lovie for that matter.
His records haven't been any good for the last decade.

Heck, they shouldn't have hired OB either.
His only track record was with Belichik running the show and Brady at QB.
His time at Penn State was too short.
He was no Saban, Carrol, Jimmy Johnson and the likes.
It is time to quit trying to be like another team specifically the patriots and be our own. We need our owner to become an innovator and not a follower. .. 🤔 😒

2 drafts , 4 Ws two seasons backwards to probably a 1 W season. Players including QB regressing and you think a removal is knee jerk?

Yeah, I say the same about those who are worried about the optics of another one and done HC, and 2 minorities at that. Optics?? What about the optics of winning 5 games in 2 years, and looking like everything is going in reverse? To hell with what firing Lovie looks like. He wasn't supposed to be the HC anyway.

players are only going to get you so far. These coaches aren’t winning anything. Give them Brady, the best OL, best WRs, best defensive players… & we’ll be fighting to get into the WC Hunt.

Need to bring in a new bunch of coaches, but I don’t want Nick in charge of the search.

I’d rather my GM picking the HC, I don’t trust Nick to hire the HC… nope, bring in a new GM & let him work with those draft picks. We can probably attract a really good candidate like Elliott Wolf with those picks

I would agree with you if Caserio had hired Culley/Lovie.

But now we're getting down to the heart of the matter. You dont trust Caserio. Why? because he hasn't run the team like you would have. BTW, he hasn't run the team like I would have either. I'm still laughing at the trade Tunsil for a 2nd rd pick penny pinching crowd. Sure they could've given away a LT that's playing at an all pro level and had more cap space. I'm glad Caserio doesn't think like the penny pinching crowd.

It is time to quit trying to be like another team specifically the patriots and be our own. We need our owner to become an innovator and not a follower. .. 🤔 😒
Are they trying to be like the Pats? Because they aren't operating like the Pats. Guess what, if Cal was to fire everybody tomorrow, he would have to hire somebody from another org, say Miami. Would you say that the McNairs were trying to run their franchise like the Dolphins?

I would agree with you if Caserio had hired Culley/Lovie.

But now we're getting down to the heart of the matter. You dont trust Caserio. Why?
I really don't know how i could be more clear. I think his two HC searches were so bad I would not trust him to hire the next HC. I'm not blaming him for hiring Lovie. I blame him for the process that got us Lovie.

He doesn't know how to select a HC. He's never done it before & it's obvious.

I don't have a problem with the draft picks, other than he's wasting their time

I really don't know how i could be more clear. I think his two HC searches were so bad I would not trust him to hire the next HC. I'm not blaming him for hiring Lovie. I blame him for the process that got us Lovie.

He doesn't know how to select a HC. He's never done it before & it's obvious.

I don't have a problem with the draft picks, other than he's wasting their time
I know he's never done it before the McNair's hire the HC's.

The fact that he wanted Gannon before Cal insisted that Lovie remain the DC with any new coaching hire and Gannon said thanks but no thanks should give you hope that Caserio is a good judge of what it takes to hire a good HC. Gannon will be a hot candidate this off-season. I don't think he gives Cal and Caserio a chance to hire him this coaching cycle. I don't know if I can be anymore clear why I want to see what Caserio can do with his guy as HC.

Wasting players careers started down on Kirby long before Caserio walked in those doors.

The fact that he wanted Gannon before Cal insisted that Lovie remain the DC with any new coaching hire and Gannon said thanks but no thanks should give you hope that Caserio is a good judge of what it takes to hire a good HC. Gannon will be a hot candidate this off-season. I don't think he gives Cal and Caserio a chance to hire him this coaching cycle. I don't know if I can be anymore clear why I want to see what Caserio can do with his guy as HC.

Wasting players careers started down on Kirby long before Caserio walked in those doors.
What's the role or a good GM?

Would that be to assist the owner(s) from making a mistake of hiring a certain HC?

If Nick Caserio thought the McNairs were not sound in choosing Lovie as the HC and he couldn't sway them from doing so, he's not doing a job of a good GM.

Now that Lovie the HC had bombed, what do you think the role of a good GM to be?

Continue to let the McNairs decide?

Does Caserio have a game plan on how to move this franchise forward?
What do you think that game plan is?

Exactly. Successful franchises weren't trying to emulate someone else. They looked at what they had and maximized its potential.

I think Caserio has earned one more year based on how he handled the Watson situation, then the Watson trade, and how he expertly traded up and down the draft board to get Lovie the players he wanted.

But if his next coaching hire is another experiment based on him trying to be smarter than the rest of the league, he should go.

I remember the Kubiak hire was based on input from a paid consultant. They should try that again.

Yea he was hired just 4 months before that first draft, with no rounds one or two’s. I’m not holding that against him at all. And how does a team improve against others with a lack of draft, of course we regressed. I can see a lot of problems with play calling though, of course that’s on someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Four wrongs don't make a right

It's like being on a merry-go-round with some of you guys.

Caserio did not hire Lovie.

"Now that Lovie the HC had bombed, what do you think the role of a good GM to be?

Continue to let the McNairs decide?"

76, Do you really believe Caserio has a choice? I think maybe he is treading water till Cal wises up, which is probably a fools errand.

Cal made the choice to be PC for the sake of the league. They were not going to be "swayed".

It looks to me like the league is running the Texans, not Caserio, not Cal.

Thirteen NFL teams have never had a Black head coach. The Texans now have had three.

The league addressed this glaring discrepancy by pressuring The Texans into a pc move.

America's team is one that has never had a black head coach. Cowboys – Across three owners, three GMs, nine head coaches and 25 offensive/defensive coordinators, their only blacks have been Maurice Carthon (OC for Bill Parcells in 2003-04) and Brian Stewart (DC under Wade Phillips in 2007-08).Feb 4, 2022

Think Jerrua would let anyone "sway" him into hiring anyone other than the one he wants?

Yea he was hired just 4 months before that first draft, with no rounds one or two’s. I’m not holding that against him at all. And how does a team improve against others with a lack of draft, of course we regressed. I can see a lot of problems with play calling though, of course that’s on someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I dont care what Nick didn't have but what he did with what he had. That draft all busts or JAGs except Collins who is average with "potential" and we had to trade up to get him.

4 months is substantial and team scouts had longer.
For three seasons it has not been about how Texans progress against other teams rather how we improve from former players or rosters as a whole. We are regressing. How many years do Nick and Lovie get? Should not the defense be solid by now?

until that changes Texans are in trouble. Cal let him hire Culley. Then Nick wanted to fire him after one season. That’s strike 1 & 2.

bs process that nets Culley. & Culley.

BO’b was able to influence Cal’s decisions. Easterby was able to influence Cal’s decisions. But Caserio can’t. GameBoy. Nick can’t crack that mind.

The fact that he wanted Gannon before Cal insisted that Lovie remain the DC with any new coaching hire and Gannon said thanks but no thanks

it was Nick’s decision to keep the assistant coaches including Lovie. Gannon balked & Nick caved. That’s not what we want in a GM. Cal held his feet to the fire.

& it won’t stop until we have a good GM. One who can hire coaches & draft players.

As long as Caserio is going to bring us Culley’s & McCown’s I don’t want any part of him.

until that changes Texans are in trouble. Cal let him hire Culley. Then Nick wanted to fire him after one season. That’s strike 1 & 2.

bs process that nets Culley. & Culley.

BO’b was able to influence Cal’s decisions. Easterby was able to influence Cal’s decisions. But Caserio can’t. GameBoy. Nick can’t crack that mind.

it was Nick’s decision to keep the assistant coaches including Lovie. Gannon balked & Nick caved. That’s not what we want in a GM. Cal held his feet to the fire.

& it won’t stop until we have a good GM. One who can hire coaches & draft players.

As long as Caserio is going to bring us Culley’s & McCown’s I don’t want any part of him.

Disagree with all of this.

You're crazy if you think Caserio said, man that David Culley guy really impressed me, lets hire him. (Not directed at you personally)

Then Caserio double dipped on elderly minority HC's?

SMDH, if you really believe this. But I can see your point, if I thought Caserio was that dumb I would fire him tomorrow.

You're crazy if you think Caserio said, man that David Culley guy really impressed me, lets hire him. (Not directed at you personally)

Then Caserio double dipped on elderly minority HC's?

was Culley the only elderly minority coach out there? I understand his pool might have been limited, but still… Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Todd Bowles, there were better choices out there.

& if you remove “elderly” you have much better choices, Robert Saleh & Byron Leftwhich

Even if you secretly planned this to be a “bridge” coach, any one of those guys would have made more sense than Culley.

But Caserio chose Culley. There is nothing, nothing to suggest Cal told Nick to hire Culley specifically. He might have gave him particular parameters. But Caserio picked Culley.

was Culley the only elderly minority coach out there? I understand his pool might have been limited, but still… Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Todd Bowles, there were better choices out there.

& if you remove “elderly” you have much better choices, Robert Saleh & Byron Leftwhich

Even if you secretly planned this to be a “bridge” coach, any one of those guys would have made more sense than Culley.

But Caserio chose Culley. There is nothing, nothing to suggest Cal told Nick to hire Culley specifically. He might have gave him particular parameters. But Caserio picked Culley.

I personally think Culley did a great job with the talent he had on hand he won exactly the number of games I thought he would win. Plus he was proven correct in that he wanted to keep Kelly over promoting Kelly, which is why he got fired. This was a mistake by Caserio.

Perhaps Caserio had an ulterior motive... :kitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back