Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Capers is not fielding a good defense in GB and will probably get canned soon. Packer fans hate his schemes now.

Nothing's written in stone, but if you put any credence whatsoever in McCarthy's comments since the loss to the Niners, I'd say he's probably not being fired soon.

Oh-oh.... what's that in his hand?
_facepalm_.gif

romeo-crennel.jpg

Nothing's written in stone, but if you put any credence whatsoever in McCarthy's comments since the loss to the Niners, I'd say he's probably not being fired soon.

We will see but the last couple of seasons their pass defense has been miserable (even the 15-1 season) and the last two 9'ers playoff losses aren't going over very well with GB fans.

Going by DVOA their defense was worse than the Cowboys, Texans, and Jaguars (but slightly better than SD). Last year was the same with them finishing up 31st in defensive DVOA. Capers may not be fired but he really should be, that offense with Rodgers and those WR's is dangerous but that defense puts pressure on them to score a lot of points.

I don't know what it is, but I know it's not a Denny's menu.

We utilized processor intensive algorithms to capture and magnify a portion of that... document... in Crennel's hand and came up with this snippet:

[IMGwidthsize=100]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lNB7afsld1I/TWVcDgNIzMI/AAAAAAAACcM/C5qXrY12Ezc/s1600/dennys-free-grand-slam.jpg[/IMG]

... just sayin'.

We will see but the last couple of seasons their pass defense has been miserable (even the 15-1 season) and the last two 9'ers playoff losses aren't going over very well with GB fans.

Going by DVOA their defense was worse than the Cowboys, Texans, and Jaguars (but slightly better than SD). Last year was the same with them finishing up 31st in defensive DVOA. Capers may not be fired but he really should be, that offense with Rodgers and those WR's is dangerous but that defense puts pressure on them to score a lot of points.

My comment has nothing to do with the quality of his defense, and everything to do with what's been said and done (and not done) since they were knocked out of the playoffs.

But which Kevin Bacon?

Personally I want deep, southern draw Bacon from JFK

Oh heck no , I want Ren McCormack from Footloose . That dude was an athlete and could work with the cheerleaders .

I think based on what we're going to ask him to do the only Kevin Bacon that makes any sense is "Capt. Jack Ross" Kevin Bacon from A Few Good Men.

But we want to avoid "Thank you! May I have another!" Kevin Bacon from Animal House. We just went through that with the last regime.

I think based on what we're going to ask him to do the only Kevin Bacon that makes any sense is "Capt. Jack Ross" Kevin Bacon from A Few Good Men.

But we want to avoid "Thank you! May I have another!" Kevin Bacon from Animal House. We just went through that with the last regime.

As long as it's not the Kevin Bacon from The Woodsman I'm good with it. :kitten:

What about Kevin Bacon in Tremors ? As a fan I feel like we got the big worm . :strangle:

I didn't see anything concrete in that, unless the rumor is now "official" or something. Don't get me wrong, I am going to love it when and if we hear something real.

This is way better than the rumor that started this thread. At that time, the two never met each other.

At least now we know they've met, O'Brien extended an offer, Crennel said he'd like to finish the East West Shrine game first. If nothing else, we have reason to be optimistic. Unless someone offers Romeo a HC job between now 7 the Shrine game.

I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????:kitten:

I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????:kitten:

These are the only two things I've seen from McClain on this. Didn't see an article earlier, but there is one today.

1d
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
I expect the Texans to hire Romeo Crennel as DC but nothing's official. I'll be surprised if Mike Munchak isn't the next O line coach.

1h
Texans waiting on Munchak's decision; Crennel expected to join as defensive coordinator:
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...el-expected-to-join-as-defensive-coordinator/

I could have sworn that there was an article on HT.com that announced that Crennel agreed to the DC job..........but now I can't find it anymore??????

Likely did. Probably got un-hidden for a little bit while being staged on the site for publication. Done deal.

These are the only two things I've seen from McClain on this. Didn't see an article earlier, but there is one today.

1h
Texans waiting on Munchak's decision; Crennel expected to join as defensive coordinator:
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...e-coordinator

I'm thinking that right now Ken Whisenhunt's inability to accept a position may be slowing down several coaching decisions around the NFL. It will be interesting to see if the Lions (and others too I guess) continue to wait on him if the Chargers were to win today. It sounds like Munchak may be towards the top of the Lions list if Whisenhunt for one reason or another doesn't end up being their guy, so I would guess nothing will be totally final with our O-Line coach situation until after Detroit's got a new HC.

I'm thinking that right now Ken Whisenhunt's inability to accept a position may be slowing down several coaching decisions around the NFL. It will be interesting to see if the Lions (and others too I guess) continue to wait on him if the Chargers were to win today. It sounds like Munchak may be towards the top of the Lions list if Whisenhunt for one reason or another doesn't end up being their guy, so I would guess nothing will be totally final with our O-Line coach situation until after Detroit's got a new HC.

Or this:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 10h
While Ken Whisenhunt is odds-on favorite to pick his next team as HC, Mike Munchak "surprised" Lions with strong interview. Don't ignore

The Texans were doing a fine job of overcoming Newton's shortcomings and were 11-1. But, regardless of record, Derek Newton was not doing a "fine job".

Newton has to be one of the worst OTs i have seen in the NFL in a while. Once O'Brien sees the game film i am sure he will be looking for him a replacment next season.

Newton has to be one of the worst OTs i have seen in the NFL in a while. Once O'Brien sees the game film i am sure he will be looking for him a replacment next season.

I think Newton comes in to compete for a roster spot. He has ability, but his technique is screwed up right now. Considering that a lot of our O-Lineman haven't developed like they should I wouldn't mind seeing what O'Brien and his staff could do with him. Do I want him starting again though? HELL NO!

Worst since Victor Riley. He is soooo bad. No power plus slow feet equals terrible.

I heard this used to describe Crennel

"Hiring Romeo will bring a calming influence to the Texans defense"

Calmer than Wade "Pillsbury Doughboy" Phillips?

Apparently Crennel has been running some weird practices at the Shrine game.

Hmmm...
If attendees hadn't left by Wednesday's afternoon practice, the stylings of West coach Romeo Crennel probably drove them away-it worked for me. I don't want to belabor the point, as I've spoken about it in each practice column, but you should know exactly what I'm talking about when I complain about his practice routine.

• Practice starts at 2:40; coaches mill around and talk to players until 2:50.
  • Offense warmed up by running a "two-minute drill" at 50 percent speed (let that one sink in), including a practice spike to stop the clock. Standing around people who have covered teams like the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars, no one had seen a practice spike as part of warmups.
  • Defensive backs spent at least 15 minutes standing around and listening to Crennel talk to them about what they should do rather than rep what they should do. One agent called it "surreal."
  • Twenty-five minutes into practice, I took a picture of the notebooks of two people who usually take copious notes. As you can see, there was nothing that had happened worth noting. This was still the case until about 45 minutes in.
  • During the Wednesday practice, there were three separate sessions of punting. At that time, numerous players not involved with special teams just stood around. It was better than one of the Tuesday sessions, when offensive linemen caught the punts.
  • Offensive players continually practiced against only offensive players for most of the practice. It's pretty easy to catch a pass when the "defender" is another wide receiver who is giving you a 10-yard cushion.
In a vacuum, each of these things could probably be excused. Yet over and again, "Good luck, Houston" was the refrain from onlookers who couldn't believe that Wade Phillips had gotten fired for the man running these practices.

On a positive note, the inclement weather had cleared up by Wednesday morning, and the fields had dried for the most part. This allowed the East team (run by Jerry Glanville) to have a crisp, efficient practice.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...2014-scouting-notes-from-this-weeks-practices

It's like, on a team as bad as the Texans were this year he managed to stand out as particularly bad. That's saying something right there.

It's really hard to say. "We" were looking for Newton to be particularly bad & pretty much over-analysed his play. Brooks got away with a lot of poor play because of it. Wade Smith, I think, was the biggest benefactor. He was, imo, consistently the worst player on our offensive line. In both the run & passing game.

But, if you say, "Wade Smith was the worst player out there."

Somehow that's translated to, "Derek Newton played well today." Which is not the case.

None of that makes me feel all that great about Crennel being hired.

Sounds like a lot of give up, but is that because he is 66 with plenty of money or is because he already has a job in his pocket and really does not care about the shrine game.

Sounds like a lot of give up, but is that because he is 66 with plenty of money or is because he already has a job in his pocket and really does not care about the shrine game.

That's the question isn't it. One would think that if he was going to get the DC job here he would at least be looking a bit more closely at the defensive guys.

If its "give up" than I want no part of him.

Last edited:

That's the question isn't it. One would think that if he was going to get the DC job here he would at least be looking a bit more closely at the defensive guys.

If its give up I want no part of him.

It definitely sounds like something we should be at least a little concerned with, but for now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and base my opinion on his past performance as a DC and not these reports. For now.

well we already knew Crennel wasn't HC material. Who cares what's written by a hack in the friggin BLEACHER REPORT!

That romeo crennel stuff does not mean anything to me. It's like gunk in the middle of the street. Completely non relevant.

This is obviously O'Brein's fault. I told you we should have hired Glanville for our new head coach.

well we already knew Crennel wasn't HC material. Who cares what's written by a hack in the friggin BLEACHER REPORT!

I'm not going to go so far to say Crennel wasn't HC material. It didn't work out for him in KC... all that proves, is that he wasn't the guy for KC.

I'll agree, that I don't care what the reporter thought. Unless he is some HOF coach, or had any success at any level as a HC.... couldn't care less.

Now, if the West gets embarrassed... we'll know why. If they kick ass.... we'll know why.

I have a feeling it is the latter.

I doubt that O'Brien is going to let Crennel run practices like that with the Texans defense.

What's kinda' funny to me is that a lot of pro scouts and GMs are at the practices, and with the way Crennel is running them, the pro guys are not getting a lot of information about the players. You've got a coach who will be working for a pro team next week running it, so perhaps a little bit of passive gaming going on? :thinking:

Back