Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

The patriots were relevant before the arrival of Tom Brady.

Sure, they made two Super Bowls which is obviously more than we can say, but clearly we're trying to replicate the Patriots dominance of 2001-2014, not the Patriots up to the year 2000.

That Patriots dominance we're trying to replicate is synonymous with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Gonna be tough to do it without those guys.

Sure, they made two Super Bowls which is obviously more than we can say, but clearly we're trying to replicate the Patriots dominance of 2001-2014, not the Patriots up to the year 2000.

That Patriots dominance we're trying to replicate is synonymous with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Gonna be tough to do it without those guys.

Probably should just throw in the towel then.

I've got a novel concept, we don't have any coaches and we just let the players play how they feel like it. That should work.

Worked in Varsity Blues

images

Texans new HC/OC...

Eric Winston on 610AM earlier asked about RAC as a Head Coach @KC and he said it just wasn't there. Bad fit maybe, team too young for RAC... whatever. No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

Eric Winston on 610AM earlier asked about RAC as a Head Coach @KC and he said it just wasn't there. Bad fit maybe, team too young for RAC... whatever. No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

I like listening to sports radio because I like to listen to players & ex-players. I enjoy their perspective & the experience they share.

But I can't listen to Eric Winston. He comes across as one of those "I'm smarter than you" types.

But I can't listen to Eric Winston. He comes across as one of those "I'm smarter than you" types.

Probably because he is smarter than many of us.

He graduated with a degree in international finance and marketing in 3 years with above a 3.5 GPA and was a 2005 All-America selection, while also playing on football scholarship.

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience.

But hey, he's not as good looking as us, so we've got that. :fingergun:

No endorsement from Winston -- worried that RAC will 2-gap Watt. Said KC spent a day prepping just for JJ. fwiw

Pretty much the same KC team of this year (minus Alex Smith) went 2-14 under Crennel the season before. Not exactly a success story.

He graduated with a degree in international finance and marketing in 3 years with above a 3.5 GPA and was a 2005 All-America selection, while also playing on football scholarship.

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience...

Yup. actual experience > conjecture.

Yup. actual experience > conjecture.

I heard this bit as well as one by Ted Johnson earlier in the week. Winston struggled not to say anything to bad about roc. Johnson was the polar opposite raving about him incessantly like a school girl.

And, oh yeah, he's actually played in the NFL for 8 years and under the coaches that we are talking about (Crennel and Kubiak), so he sorta' speaks from actual experience.

Eric is smart, and knows football, but he's also full of s--t. He's completely obsessed with setting himself up as a media guy after football that that's all he cares about.

Winston is a total and complete media whore.

Anyone who thinks we won't design our defense around JJ is a moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard this bit as well as one by Ted Johnson earlier in the week. Winston struggled not to say anything to bad about roc. Johnson was the polar opposite raving about him incessantly like a school girl.

Didn't Johnson play for him when Crennel was an OC? And didn't Winston play for him when he was HC?

There's a difference.

Eric Winston is a hater though. He's the type that would endorse a Blake Bortles...

Didn't Johnson play for him when Crennel was an OC? And didn't Winston play for him when he was HC?

There's a difference.

No doubt. I didn't feel it was necessary to point that out...or that tj played for him on fantastic winning teams, while Winston had a miserable season with him. Their experiences were both on a pro level and completely different. If roc's going to be here as a dc i'll defer to tj (perhaps very naively. )

"When Romeo Crennel and OB got together on Wednesday, it was the first time the two had ever met. An offer was extended... which Crennel plans to accept as soon as today." --Chris Mortensen/ESPN

PDS ‏@PatDStat 10m
RT @flsnupe: #romeocrennel agrees to be DC our your #Texans. Staff starting to come together

PDS and a few others endorse this flsnupe guy

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 13m
R Crennel will stay committed to East-West Shrine coach duties Jan. 18 before accepting Texans DC job. Wed 1st time ever met Bill O'Brien.

Romeo Crennel to be Texans' DC

By Chris Mortensen | ESPN

After meeting for the first time Wednesday, Romeo Crennel and Bill O'Brien discovered they were a good match.

Crennel is committed to coach the East-West Shrine college all-star game Jan. 18 but when that task is complete, he plans to accept an offer to become O'Brien's defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans, according to league sources.

Crennel has been widely believed to be the favorite to become O'Brien's defensive coordinator because of their ties as former New England Patriots assistants. However, the two men had never worked together and Wednesday's meeting was not only an interview but an introduction.

When their interview was complete, O'Brien extended an offer for the job. However, Crennel asked for more time to fulfill his commitment as the head coach of the West college all-stars in the East-West Shrine game without distraction.

Consequently, the Texans and and Crennel had no comment. Any announcement on their pending partnership would occur after the East-West game, sources said...

So the question becomes how does Romeo Crennel compare to Dom Capers, Vic Fangio, & Wade Phillips.

Dom & Vic are fielding some pretty good defenses right now.

& we can probably take the "Rumor" off this thread title.

It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week. That should squash any idea that O'Brien is hiring his "friends."

I have little doubt that Crennel will be held accountable for his results.

It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week.

That's the primary reason I didn't think we had any "advantage" of obtaining him. Why I didn't think we could land him.

I was wrong. Pretty happy about it too.

It should be noted that O'Brien and Crennel never met before this week. That should squash any idea that O'Brien is hiring his "friends."
...sits and waits for the "He's hiring guys he doesn't know anything about (and he's probably going to be carrying around a Denny's menu too!)" complaints to start rolling in...

So the question becomes how does Romeo Crennel compare to Dom Capers, Vic Fangio, & Wade Phillips.

Mortensen = ESPN is now mongering the rumor versus no longer a rumor.

Capers is not fielding a good defense in GB and will probably get canned soon. Packer fans hate his schemes now.

Back