Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FA's and Practice Squad Guys Caserio Needs to Look At

I'm glad they brought in Johnson. Its what I said last year of bringing some young guys facing roster challenges on good teams. No way this should've been the 2nd oldest team in the nfl last year regardless of not having a 1st or 2nd rd pick. Claiming young guys off cut day, undrafted guys,etc. Good move whether he works or not. We know what Conley and Amendola types are.

Bowles spoke pretty candidly why they cut Johnson. No ST value. He will be at least #3 WR here inside a month. Better than #6 on the Bucs so wont be used on ST here. Now next season with Metchie’s presumed return that might become an issue…

Interesting that Nick considers Akins better than O.J. Howard. There must be something negative about Howard that we don't know for 30 teams to pass on him on the waiver wire. He was claimed by Cincinatti and then they signed another tight end instead.
Welcome back Jordan. Although I don't know why we are using a PS space on a 30 year old.

Last edited:
Interesting that Nick considers Akins better than O.J. Howard. There must be something negative about Howard that we don't know for 30 teams to pass on him on the waiver wire. He was claimed by Cincinatti and then they signed another tight end instead.
Welcome back Jordan. Although I don't know why we are using a PS space on a 30 year old.

Howard did have a torn achilles a couple seasons back. But its not a question of Howard vs Akins.

Its Akins on the PS vs Howard at his asking price. And also Howard has to agree to take a meeting. So far he has not visited anywhere but the best teams.

Howard did have a torn achilles a couple seasons back. But its not a question of Howard vs Akins.

Its Akins on the PS vs Howard at his asking price. And also Howard has to agree to take a meeting. So far he has not visited anywhere but the best teams.
I don't even think its a asking price thing. Howard signed a 1 yrs deal and couldn't even make it through cuts. While in Tampa, Brate beat him out even though he was a 1st rd pick.

Howard is now visiting the Texans!

Now, they need to find a way to offer Howard a contract. Checked overthecap.com, and the Texans have $86,727 in cap space. Yes, not enough for a practice squad player. The Texans have almost $65 million in dead money for the 2022 season. And yes, the lions share of that ($42 million) is contracts written by the previous regime (Bill & Jack). But over $20 million is from deals that Caserio made. Nick has created over $20 million in dead money for this year alone. That's 10% of the cap for a team that had cap issues when he came here.

I know there a lot of Caserio fans out there. And he has made decent deals and picks. But after 21 months on the job, Nick has proven that he cannot handle a salary cap. He needs help. It's time to fire up the search committee and get someone that knows what the heck he's doing with the cap.

Now, they need to find a way to offer Howard a contract. Checked overthecap.com, and the Texans have $86,727 in cap space. Yes, not enough for a practice squad player. The Texans have almost $65 million in dead money for the 2022 season. And yes, the lions share of that ($42 million) is contracts written by the previous regime (Bill & Jack). But over $20 million is from deals that Caserio made. Nick has created over $20 million in dead money for this year alone. That's 10% of the cap for a team that had cap issues when he came here.

I know there a lot of Caserio fans out there. And he has made decent deals and picks. But after 21 months on the job, Nick has proven that he cannot handle a salary cap. He needs help. It's time to fire up the search committee and get someone that knows what the heck he's doing with the cap.

During the RS era, we had an excellent capologist. But BOB and his buddy Jack ran him out of town.

He found a way to sign Howard and the cap will be fine next off-season.

Last edited:
Could do it all in college.

Tore his Achilles and that took away some of his athleticism. Still a good blocker with great hands and is an intermediate target. Best TE on the team by a good margin.

I was a huge fan of Howard coming out. Thought he was the best prospect the last 5 or 6 drafts at TE other than Kyle Pitts if we’re ranking them.

He did not meet those expectations for a variety of reasons. But the talent is there.

Unfortunate he had the achilles injury but he did play all 17 games last season. I think even in his diminished capacity he is the best TE on the roster.

Texans have improved Mills’ weapons with the additions of Bucs reserves Tyler Johnson and O.J. Howard. They will get more opportunity on this team.

I was a huge fan of Howard coming out. Thought he was the best prospect the last 5 or 6 drafts at TE other than Kyle Pitts if we’re ranking them.

He did not meet those expectations for a variety of reasons. But the talent is there.

Unfortunate he had the achilles injury but he did play all 17 games last season. I think even in his diminished capacity he is the best TE on the roster.

Texans have improved Mills’ weapons with the additions of Bucs reserves Tyler Johnson and O.J. Howard. They will get more opportunity on this team.
Yep, sometimes players on a good team get caught in numbers battle. Johnson did, OJ just didn't make it to his potential,but he has real speed and size. No te on the Texans, other than maybe Akins has his size speed ratio.

Just a barrier setup for manipulation. You will never hear me complain about a cap hit or even dead money because money can be moved around and you keep the guys you want to keep.
But if you're up against the cap you can't go hog wild. You can still make some moves though.

The Texans only just started operating the correct way when it comes to the cap.

Ok, how good is this guy? I don't know anything about him. Blocking TE, speed TE what??
If we’re getting him, can’t be that good (don’t get me wrong, I’m getting the jersey)

But I’m thinking Ron Dayne, Ahman Green, Ed Reed, & there’s been a lot more of those type of guys. Just tapped out by the time we get them.

Ok, sounds good that we might have a TE that has the speed to go up the seam. I was hopeful that we might take a run at Sony Michelle. I think he would have been a very good #2 back with some speed. Not really sure why we are hanging onto Rex Burkhead though.

Reactions: JB
Back