Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Eric Winston released by Chiefs

That, and their defense will continue to suck. It's almost like they are tanking to get a QB, ala the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. I think we all know Locker is at best an average NFL starter.

Speaking of which, we need to come up with a catchy phrase for the teams like the Jags, Raiders and Titans who will be fighting for the top prospects next year.

Top 5 guys I see are:
Jadeveon Clowney
Tajh Boyd
Teddy Bridgewater
Marquis Lee
Johnny Manziel

Sabo-Tajh
Tank for Teddy
Lose for Lee
Muff for Manziel
Downey for Clowney

Catastrophe for Clowney
Tank for Taj
Terrible for Teddy
Lousy for Lee
Monotonous for Manziel

I see the Titans as challenging the Dolts for 2nd place in our division while the kittens end up in 4th place missing the litter box altogeather.

Depends on what the question is. If its 'Who should be the new pitchman for a wing joint' then I say yes.

He's probably asking too much and I have a feeling there may be some bad blood between him and the organization that we don't know about.

He's probably asking too much and I have a feeling there may be some bad blood between him and the organization that we don't know about.

Surely he's come down on his asking price by now.

But maybe we've moved on. I think the idea was to get better. We don't get better bringing Eric back.

I understand there was a drop off in play. I'm sure it was expected, especially in the run game, but I noticed a much improved pocket from day one (up until Newton got hurt).

It also appears they see enough in Harris.. I didn't. '76 did. However, maybe they see him as a stop-gap & have hopes the QBerry can be the man if Newton can't.

There has to be baggage with Winston that we don't know about. The guy is borderline top 10 RT (especially in the run game) and he doesn't get signed until eve of training camp and its a VET MINIMUM on a crap team......

There has to be baggage with Winston that we don't know about. The guy is borderline top 10 RT (especially in the run game) and he doesn't get signed until eve of training camp and its a VET MINIMUM on a crap team......

He never showed up with this "problem" on the injury reports last year..........but I do know that, although entirely unpublicized, he underwent elbow surgery the beginning of January. Question marks following this surgery may have left the Chiefs and informed teams hesitant to take a chance with anything more than a vet minimum with incentives as insurance to prove that he is not damaged goods.

Good luck to him with the Cards. I don't know what the rest of their O-line situation is like, but he should help shore it up some. They were flat out awful last season. Almost 2002 Texans O-line bad.

Good luck to him with the Cards. I don't know what the rest of their O-line situation is like, but he should help shore it up some. They were flat out awful last season. Almost 2002 Texans O-line bad.

Teams don't want overpriced clubhouse lawyers, who are thinking about how they are going to get a job in the media after their career is over, instead of thinking about their current job at hand.

Teams also may have been turned off by the fans suck, we're not gladiators act Winston pulled. He was just politicking to cover up for his extremely avg play at RT last season.

Players turning on the paying customers is never a good idea. It appears to have cost Winston millions.

I think we are seeing that Eric Winston was not as good as we thought he was. No doubt the best we've seen in a while, but not what a team needs at RT if their goal is to win a Super Bowl & what team doesn't want to win a Super Bowl?

Edit: I'm not one to pat my back, but I think it's due in this case. I've said Eric Winston was our weakest link a long time back, when many of you would bad mouth our Pro Bowl center (& I mentioned he was our most consistent OLman at the time). I may not know everything, but I know a little..... that's all I'm saying.

I think we are seeing that Eric Winston was not as good as we thought he was. No doubt the best we've seen in a while, but not what a team needs at RT if their goal is to win a Super Bowl & what team doesn't want to win a Super Bowl?

Edit: I'm not one to pat my back, but I think it's due in this case. I've said Eric Winston was our weakest link a long time back, when many of you would bad mouth our Pro Bowl center (& I mentioned he was our most consistent OLman at the time). I may not know everything, but I know a little..... that's all I'm saying.

You did post repeatedly that Winston was "not all that" and I shared your feeling. You nailed it with our Pro Bowl center, while I and many others felt that he was nor never would be the answer. You deserve that pat on the back, but as you know I am still sore from patting myself on the back last night............so please accept my "virtual pat.:)"

Teams don't want overpriced clubhouse lawyers, who are thinking about how they are going to get a job in the media after their career is over, instead of thinking about their current job at hand.

Teams also may have been turned off by the fans suck, we're not gladiators act Winston pulled. He was just politicking to cover up for his extremely avg play at RT last season.

Players turning on the paying customers is never a good idea. It appears to have cost Winston millions.
You nailed it there Steelbtexan, I think that was the dirty little secret about Winston. He got on the soap box a couple times in KC last year, and that's the last thing coachs want to hear from a player. And even though Winston has always been a good to very good run blocker, he's also always been a liability as a pass-blocker, and more and more NFL teams are throwing the ball, so there's that.

And even though Winston has always been a good to very good run blocker, he's also always been a liability as a pass-blocker, and more and more NFL teams are throwing the ball, so there's that.
Yes, Winston had more value on teams like the Texans and the pre-Reid Chiefs, who emphasized the run. I think his deficiency as a pass blocker (and possibly his injury concerns) had more to do with his marketability than his locker room or off the field activities. Having said that, I still think Winston is better than anything the Texans currently have at RT.

Yes, Winston had more value on teams like the Texans and the pre-Reid Chiefs, who emphasized the run. I think his deficiency as a pass blocker (and possibly his injury concerns) had more to do with his marketability than his locker room or off the field activities. Having said that, I still think Winston is better than anything the Texans currently have at RT.

Which says volumes about the Texans RT situation.

I hope Quessenberry is as good as the coaches have made him out to be. Injuries at RT should be a cause for concern beginning the season. I don't buy into Gary hyping Harris as looking great in practice. Harris is what he is, an injury prone, journeyman, backup OT.

I hope Quessenberry is as good as the coaches have made him out to be. Injuries at RT should be a cause for concern beginning the season. I don't buy into Gary hyping Harris as looking great in practice. Harris is what he is, an injury prone, journeyman, backup OT.
I haven't seen the rookies play (obviously), so I haven't really considered them a part of the equation. I don't think Newton has the feet to play tackle. And I think Harris doesn't anchor well enough against bull rushers (which is what is generally coming from that side). Combine Newton and Harris, and you may have a poor man's Winston. Which is still not that great. This is still my biggest concern on this team, because it affects Schaub's confidence.

Harris is what he is, an injury prone, journeyman, backup OT.

But... that's not what he is.

He is injury prone, I'll give you that.

But although he didn't start his rookie year, he started every game (that he was available for) but one for the Broncos after that. He started 16 games his 2nd season, 8 games his third, and then 10 games his fourth season. So the guy was a starter, not a backup.

And for me, a journeyman is a player who bounces around from team to team. Harris has only been with 2 teams in 6 years (so far), so I don't see him as a journeyman.

I'm not saying that he's the answer at RT but I think that's more because of the injury situation with him combined with the fact that we've got some younger guys that might be more talented.

I don't think Kubiak is blowing sunshine at people when he talks about how good the guy is playing.

I used to get infuriated when he'd have a terrible game, then turn on the radio on Monday listening to him laugh and yuk it up like he didn't have a care in the world.

I have no ill will towards Winston. Nor do I fault him for thinking about his life after football. But, he was more obsessed with getting in front of cameras than he was improving his game.

How long do you think it'll take for him to find his way into the spotlight in Phoenix? He'll probably hitch his wagon to Larry Fitzgerald, since he knows that Fitz is that team's highest profile player.

I wish Winston well, but, I have no issues with him no longer being here.

But... that's not what he is.

He is injury prone, I'll give you that.

But although he didn't start his rookie year, he started every game (that he was available for) but one for the Broncos after that. He started 16 games his 2nd season, 8 games his third, and then 10 games his fourth season. So the guy was a starter, not a backup.

And for me, a journeyman is a player who bounces around from team to team. Harris has only been with 2 teams in 6 years (so far), so I don't see him as a journeyman.

I'm not saying that he's the answer at RT but I think that's more because of the injury situation with him combined with the fact that we've got some younger guys that might be more talented.

I don't think Kubiak is blowing sunshine at people when he talks about how good the guy is playing.

The Broncos cut him because of a back injury. Harris became available after Philly cut him last preseason. Lucky is spot on, when he said Harris doesn't anchor well enough to be an above avg RT.

Plus it's likely that Harris' back wont hold up as a 16 game starter. But right now he's the best RT they've got. This worries me more than a little.

The Broncos cut him because of a back injury. Harris became available after Philly cut him last preseason. Lucky is spot on, when he said Harris doesn't anchor well enough to be an above avg RT.

Plus it's likely that Harris' back wont hold up as a 16 game starter. But right now he's the best RT they've got. This worries me more than a little.

My bad. I was not aware of the stint with the Eagles. He didn't play any games with them so it didn't show up in the stats. All I remembered was him playing with the Broncos and then getting cut from the Broncos to play with us, I didn't know/remember that was his second stint with the Broncos.

That's the way I took it when Kubiak said he hasn't seen Harris this healthy in a long time.

He's only 28 years old. That's prime time for an offensive lineman.

I find some sunshine in that Harris made it through all of last season without his back problem recurring. In doing so, he stands a very good chance that problem is behind him, as long as he continues a constant vigilant concentration on maintaining strong core strength.

I find some sunshine in that Harris made it through all of last season without his back problem recurring. In doing so, he stands a very good chance that problem is behind him, as long as he continues a constant vigilant concentration on maintaining strong core strength.

Harris only took about 35% of total RT snaps last year... should he maintain such a reduced number to help avoid more back issues?

Harris only took about 35% of total RT snaps last year... should he maintain such a reduced number to help avoid more back issues?

The fact that he took 35% over the entire season still confirms an element of "longevity" without injury. If he has maintained his core strength, I feel that he would have a very good chance of making it through a typical 80% season this year, barring any freak type of trauma.

Back