Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed released

Quentin Demps is starting on one of the better defenses of the season.

I think it would be interesting if Reed is starting this week, or even next.

Lastly, how can someone be upset with a coaching staff allowing him to do whatever he wants to do? I can understand being upset that he was demoted, but that was totally in his power to control. All he had to do was make a play... instead, he continued to get hurdled.

Is it robbery if we invite him into our house and give him the money?

It is if he conceals something that he knows would keep us from giving him that money. I lost all respect I had for the guy. Give me a guy with integrity like Pat Tillman had. Unfortunately we have world full of people with Ed Reed's mentality. Anything is ok for the almighty dollar. Anyway McNair is rich. He can afford it.

Look familiar?

-e9fae34994bb3919.jpg

That sh!t eating grin. :slap:

Damn. I like Wade and I'm not going to slam his defense.

But the above news - if true - speaks volumes about some foundational problems with the coaching staff and front office.

You have one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league. And now we are finding out that a player was basically forced on him. A player that he did not think fits his scheme. Wade will never come out and say it. He's a professional and team player.

But, it does make sense when it never looked like Reed belonged in this defense, both with limited range from his surgery and the way he was being implemented. Then read his words that go him into trouble. He was obviously not happy with being benched, but there was something else to it, like a dissatisfaction with both the coach and scheme.

Screw Reed and screw the Jets. I'm not going to root for either of them out of spite. I'm a Texans fan, regardless of the coaching staff, and I'm certainly not going to bandwagon some freakin' yankee team that I've never liked just to make some kind of statement. Screw that noise.

Couldn't have said it better myself. MSR.:bravo:

I hear a lot of people knocking madden, but honestly, more people should probably play it. You can actually learn some things from playing football games these days.

:crazy: Ok...well that goes down as the silliest post of the entire thread. Keep up the good work.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h

Wade Phillips said he wasn't involved in process of bringing in Ed Reed during the offseason. Wasn't involved in any discussions. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h

Wade Phillips said he wasn't involved in process of bringing in Ed Reed during the offseason. Wasn't involved in any discussions. #Texans

Just shows how horrible this organization is. Wade has forgotten more than Rick Smith will ever know about defensive football, and wasn't consulted. Idiots ...

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m

2 Clarify: Wade Phillips was asked about Quin, Reed, Woodson. Said he wasn't in on conversations. Assumes all things were considered. 1/2

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 9m

Obviously Phillips did meet with Ed Reed during Reed's visit. So he's included in a way. Just said he wasn't involved in discussions.

IMHO Rick Smith has always considered himself the DB Guru of the Texans and Ed Reed was Rick's baby.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m

2 Clarify: Wade Phillips was asked about Quin, Reed, Woodson. Said he wasn't in on conversations. Assumes all things were considered. 1/2

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 9m

Obviously Phillips did meet with Ed Reed during Reed's visit. So he's included in a way. Just said he wasn't involved in discussions.

IMHO Rick Smith has always considered himself the DB Guru of the Texans and Ed Reed was Rick's baby.

Looks like its every man for himself. So much throwing each other undee the bus.

That's how it should be. Make people responsible for their actions.

Yeah. I don't often agree with you but this is a friggin fact. Right now I want them all in a self-preservation "feeding frenzy" climbing over each other to get out of the burning building. I want them all dropping one another in the grease and spilling all the secrets.

I want to see Wade Phillips stand up in front of cameras and say "I don't even KNOW THESE *******S!" Like Ash from "Army of Darkness".

Rick Smith has made some good moves in his time. he's also made some dreadful moves and he shouldn't be allowed to weasel out of the consequences of that.

:crazy: Ok...well that goes down as the silliest post of the entire thread. Keep up the good work.

All I Really Need To Know About Football learned by playing Madden 07 <---linky

And then there's this, from Madden himself:

Madden on 'Madden'

Q: How have you seen the game evolve to where now high school players are actually learning offenses and defenses from your game?

John Madden: I think that's big, and it's not only for high school kids. I was with my 8-year-old grandson the other night while he was playing, and it's amazing how much they know now at such a young age. You don't have to wait until high school to get to know the plays and the rules now. Kids can call out rules quicker than someone inside the game can, and it's just amazing to me the knowledge of young players. And then for the high school kids, this is how they're learning how to play. That's why it's important for us to have the right way to play in the game.

Full Article

Madden describes himself as "never a good player" of Madden NFL, and prefers to watch others play. Although retiring from broadcasting in 2009, he nonetheless continues to participate in each Madden's development:

He breaks down upcoming rules changes. He brings up concussions, helmet-to-helmet hits and gimmick quarterbacks. A digression on how the Dome Patrol-era Saints used to frustrate Bill Walsh's 49ers teams with short linebacker drops becomes a lecture on the obsolescence of the fullback, which then morphs into a short aside on player character.

Coaches and players have said that Madden has influenced their play, and football broadcasts on television use Madden-like visual cues to more closely resemble it. The NFL reportedly considers the series its "33rd franchise", because each week during the season EA Sports receives the same searchable film database of every play that each of the league's 32 teams do.

Source

:gamer:

All I Really Need To Know About Football learned by playing Madden 07 <---linky

And then there's this, from Madden himself:

Madden describes himself as "never a good player" of Madden NFL, and prefers to watch others play. Although retiring from broadcasting in 2009, he nonetheless continues to participate in each Madden's development:

He breaks down upcoming rules changes. He brings up concussions, helmet-to-helmet hits and gimmick quarterbacks. A digression on how the Dome Patrol-era Saints used to frustrate Bill Walsh's 49ers teams with short linebacker drops becomes a lecture on the obsolescence of the fullback, which then morphs into a short aside on player character.

Coaches and players have said that Madden has influenced their play, and football broadcasts on television use Madden-like visual cues to more closely resemble it. The NFL reportedly considers the series its "33rd franchise", because each week during the season EA Sports receives the same searchable film database of every play that each of the league's 32 teams do.

Source

:gamer:

LoL...would've never seen that had you not quoted it. I'm guessing that was in response to what I said earlier.

Madden and ncaa actually can teach people about some football things. Strategies, plays, player attributes, schemes, reading defenses, angles...ect..

Doesn't mean you can play madden and become an nfl coach, but you can learn quite a bit. It's actually become a damn good simulation.

Thanks for that article. Hadn't read that before.

I haven't bought Madden since 09. I no longer have anyone to play with and I'm not good enough to play online. My son was the only one that really played me. He went to a Christian High School in 2010 and enlisted in the Marines shortly there after. *sniff sniff* Ha, jk

Loved playing the game though. I've heard the graphics and gameplay is completely different, so I'd really suck now

LoL...would've never seen that had you not quoted it. I'm guessing that was in response to what I said earlier.

Madden and ncaa actually can teach people about some football things. Strategies, plays, player attributes, schemes, reading defenses, angles...ect..

Doesn't mean you can play madden and become an nfl coach, but you can learn quite a bit. It's actually become a damn good simulation.

Thanks for that article. Hadn't read that before.

NFL Network did a story on the Madden franchise in the off-season, and they said it has heavily influenced football because so many kids are learning play diagrams, receiver route trees, strategy, game management, and a host of other things about football. Advanced concepts that were often not taught in the past until players reached college, but now they know them in Pop Warner. They even interviewed some young NFL players who said so much of their understanding of the various aspects of football came from playing Madden.

I think folks that do not play Madden have no idea how much goes into the game. John Madden has always said that he wanted it to be a learning tool in addition to a fun game, and that attitude has been a common thread in the series for 25 years. He wouldn't even put his name on the game in the late '80's until technology allowed 11 man teams. He refused to endorse a watered down version of the game he loves.

People can poo-poo it all they want, but that attitude does not change reality.

NFL Network did a story on the Madden franchise in the off-season, and they said it has heavily influenced football because so many kids are learning play diagrams, receiver route trees, strategy, game management, and a host of other things about football. Advanced concepts that were often not taught in the past until players reached college, but now they know them in Pop Warner. They even interviewed some young NFL players who said so much of their understanding of the various aspects of football came from playing Madden.

I think folks that do not play Madden have no idea how much goes into the game. John Madden has always said that he wanted it to be a learning tool in addition to a fun game, and that attitude has been a common thread in the series for 25 years. He wouldn't even put his name on the game in the late '80's until technology allowed 11 man teams. He refused to endorse a watered down version of the game he loves.

People can poo-poo it all they want, but that attitude does not change reality.

Wow...I did not know that. Sometimes I think I'm on an island thinking some things, so it's cool to know that there are actual facts/accounts to back up these "silly" ideas I have sometimes.

Very cool stuff DB. Would rep if I could.

I haven't bought Madden since 09. I no longer have anyone to play with and I'm not good enough to play online. My son was the only one that really played me. He went to a Christian High School in 2010 and enlisted in the Marines shortly there after. *sniff sniff* Ha, jk

Loved playing the game though. I've heard the graphics and gameplay is completely different, so I'd really suck now

Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.

Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.

I stopped playing online many years ago. I do not have the quick reflexes required to compete with the young people, nor do I have the time to devote to absorbing playbooks like the average rabid online gamer.

I just have fun with the various modes of running a franchise. Even funnier is doing the EA game face thing with your own picture. I get a kick out of seeing myself on the sidelines or in games.

Valid points on the play of the game.

I would say many of the belittling comments are in response to off-season/GM moves on trades and such.

Yeah, I get and agree with the off-season/GM thing, because so many of the ideas are a bit whacky and unrealistic.

Madden has tried to replicate some of the front office stuff with salary cap management and more realistic trades, but still just a simulation of the real thing in that regard. If anything, it makes me sort of understand how complicated a GM's job can be, so I try not to act like I know what's up in a real FO in that regard.

I've never played the game because I wasn't even good at Pong. :D I just don't have whatever it takes.

These remarks though sure are enlightening. I had no idea and have always poo pooed the Madden references. I had no idea regarding the complexity and intricacies of the game.

I don't recall any contrary remarks on my part concerning the game but if I have, my apologies. If I knew anyone with the console and the game I'd like to check it out now.

Texans Chick just posted a great piece about this subject.

And in her article, she posted a link to the following story during last year's playoffs:

Ed Reed unimpressed with Joe Flacco’s performance in playoffs

More importantly, Flacco left one of the Ravens' most important players with a distinctly unimpressed feeling. Talking to SIRIUS NFL Radio on Monday, mega-safety Ed Reed said that Flacco underperformed against Houston's aggressive defense.

"They had a lot of guys in the box on him and they were giving [the pass] to him," Reed said. "I think a couple of times he needed to get rid of the ball. It just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense. I don't know how much of [that was] the play calling … but it just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense, you know, of times past … It was just kind of like they [were] telling him [what] to do -- throw the ball or get it here, you know, get it to certain guys."

-----------------------------------

"He can't play like [he did against the Texans]," Reed continued. "One specific play that sticks out to me was when Ray Rice came out and got pushed out of the backfield and [Flacco] still threw him the ball and he had Torrey Smith on the outside. I can see that sitting on the sideline or sitting in the stands. You don't know what someone else is seeing."

Full article

Reed has always been a very vocal leader, both in good times and bad.

and look just as bad as he did playing for the Texans....

He was done about 2 years ago...

You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.:barman:

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............:wadepalm:

Also interesting to note is that Before Ed Reed joined the Jets, he was courted by Tom Brady
.................almost another AJ-like acquisition............:kubepalm:

Houston wanted to evaluate younger talent, with the team in a seven-game tailspin, and Reed was not playing much. More to the point, he and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips never established a trust or relationship, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, with them having philosophical differences from the onset.

Things were “awkward” from their initial meeting when the Texans had Reed in for a free-agent visit this offseason, sources said, and Reed was mystified by the lack of sophistication in the team's defensive schemes, with a limited number of coverages, red zone, calls, etc. It was not nearly as elaborate as what he was accustomed to with the Ravens and Reed was torn as to how much angst to express to teammates and coaches, since he only just signed with the team a few months back and had not built up any currency there.

Reed could not justify some of the concepts and approaches the Texans take and he was making a very limited impact in their defense. With Ryan there is an immediate bond and Reed has a thorough knowledge of the defense. With Ryan he can act as a coach if need be, will be able to position others and can teach the young players. Ryan believes Reed can still dissuade quarterbacks from the throwing the deep ball, sources said, and believes he can scheme up opportunities for the ballhawk to get his hand on the football, while realizing Reed is not going to be heavily involved in the run game and has some limitations at this stage of his career, as well.

and look just as bad as he did playing for the Texans....

He was done about 2 years ago...

You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.

You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.:barman:

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............:wadepalm:

I feel bad for Texans fans- not easy to feel like you got fleeced by someone who you thought would put your team over the top.

You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.

I got pretty beat up by people here but then lost my composure and lowered my standards for which I paid the price.

But my assessment of Reed's play was based on unbiased observance of his play since 2002. I stopped rooting for the names on the back of jerseys back in the 80's- I root for the name on the front of the jersey so its easy for me to assess a player's performance.

Ed was done 2 years ago- he hurt his hip initially against the Texans in the playoff game in Baltimore in 2010. Never really recovered from that.

Didn't the Jets say Reed was going to help prevent the long ball?

If so, I just :lol: watching the Bills/Jets highlights

If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

:coffee:

If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

Oh you are correct that the Texans did not perform their due diligence but perhaps it was clouded by the star power of a SB winning, 1st ballot HoFer and his assurances that he would be ok.

Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'

Oh Ed, lol. Sounds like he and Wade really didn't get along

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 1m
Ed Reed on talking to Wade Phillips when he was cut: 'He came in and basically just made sure I was leaving.'

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 8m
Ed Reed on Texans: "That defense was not a good fit for a lot of people that are still there."

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 10m
Looking back, Ed Reed even said he wished he had never worn his No. 20 jersey outside of Baltimore.

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 21m
Ed reed on wade phillips 'in hindsight he's probably the reason I'm not there'

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 23m
Ed reed on texans 'you got to look at the playcalling and put your players in position to make plays'

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 26m
Ed reed said he didn't have problems with most of the texans org. including players and 'most of the coaches'

Aaron Wilson &#8207;@RavensInsider 28m
Ed reed 'I don't even know how to describe it it was some interesting stuff I experienced with a different organization'

Why? You LIKE this sideshow bull****? I don't. All these distractions have turned us into a ****ing clown show. If I wanted that, I'd be an Eagles, Jets, Cowboys, or Raiders fan.

Nah - some people are in the "anger" stage of grieving. Wanting the club to suffer would fit that huh?

Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'
Unfortunately Ed isn't a good fit if you want coverage these days either. :kitten:

True. At the same time the old hobo isn't exactly making himself look good either. I see it as a win-win personally.
Yep. The pedestal he was put on when coming here has had all four legs removed, sanded and been refinished as a birdbath.

It's stupid, though. Can't shake reputations once they're built. I refuse to allow that **** to happen to the Texans.

If Reeds comments didn't shed light on the sorry state of affairs in Texans land then our franchise WR, marching off the field in the manner he did, certainly has.

We are slap stick comedy along side the Jets, Jaguars and Bucs...:clown:

Back