Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ed Reed released

Lol he was the Django of the Texans... Wade Phillips was the German friend.
Where was all this hate when Stevens was cut? You race baiters are awful silent when a white biy gets cut or demoted. Or were you silent because Stevens sucked azz at his position?
Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0j2dVuhr6s

I guess nobody in the FO could speak Ed Reed''s jive. Must be a white wing conspiracy to have him removed (obviously Rick Smith is an Uncle Tom). Holdin' a brother down!!!! Couldn't have a damn thing to do with stinking it up on the field and being a waste of a roster spot.

I put Smith and Andre Johnson in the same boat guys that are very important to the team and have big titles but are basically just doing what they are told versus saying or doing what they really want to do in their own minds that is best for the team. Lots don't believe that I just know that this is the kind of program the texans run. I respect Andre, Watt, Cushing, Foster... heck even Ed Reed but to ultimately win the super bowl or at least get their we have to get rid of this program for good. Start doing championship things...
I wish you would use grammar and punctuation. It makes reading responses much more clear and easier to read.

Reed was brought in to provide leadership to the secondary leading up to and in the playoffs. Since the playoffs are no longer a possibility he is no longer needed.

Reed was brought in to provide leadership to the secondary leading up to and in the playoffs. Since the playoffs are no longer a possibility he is no longer needed.
And he obviously provided precious little leadership.

I wish you would use grammar and punctuation. It makes reading responses much more clear and easier to read.

I type on here as if I'm texting. I'm actually on my cell phone. I hope I'm wrong. It would be cool to see the texans win but Houston is one of four cities to have never had a nfl football team in the super bowl. It's sad but in my opinion I'm telling you why. Not necessarily racism it's moreso the way they do business within the organization. To me it's just not right or even championship minded.

And he obviously provided precious little leadership.

He tried but Ray Lewis always led that ravens team Reed was just a voice that was respected. You probably know that I'm sure. Texans brought him in and he ended up being the voice... Texans ended up not respecting it because the truth either comforts or offends. I'm comforted by his words. Been waiting to here someone say this for years but I didn't want it to be Ed Reed.

I type on here as if I'm texting. I'm actually on my cell phone. I hope I'm wrong. It would be cool to see the texans win but Houston is one of four cities to have never had a nfl football team in the super bowl. It's sad but in my opinion I'm telling you why. Not necessarily racism it's moreso the way they do business within the organization. To me it's just not right or even championship minded.
But you only emphasize the racial aspects of events.

If you honestly think that rich white guys care about the race of the guys actually winning them championships, you'd STFU!. All these rich white guys care about is winning. They'll gladly pay for the best athletes they can get, regardless of skin color. The NFL has to be around 85% black. Some white linemen and a scattering of whites at other positions.

Black culture is more more prevalent than any other in pro sports in the USA.

If there are problems in pro sports, maybe you should take a look at black culture.

This forum has imploded even more spectacularly than the Texans' season, and that's saying something.

How eaxactly has the forum imploded.

Could it be that loyal fans are finally calling out the Texans after 8 yrs of ineptitude? Really going on 12 yrs of ineptitude. It seems as though BoB/Rick/Gary have really slow learning curves. Most have all been sniffing the fumes on the short bus.

Really? They didn't cut anyone contributing to the team, at all... I don't see any zero tolerance philosophy from that...

As a Cowboy fan in the Jimmy Johnson era- Jimmy gave a lot of rope to quality players (which has been well documented). However, when a mediocre player or non-essential player screwed up, he dumped him immediately.

The Texans clearly have a different talent acquisition policy than that Cowboy team did (prioritizing character more highly). However, I don't see any sign that they are less tolerant or more reactionary to players on the team. Maybe his comments were an excuse to cut dead weight... But, dead weight is dead weight. They tolerated Dunta Robinson until he was utterly worthless. They have handled Antonio Smith throughout the five years of his contract. Pollard was vocal as well and the Texans didn't cut him during a season and only let him go after his atrocious on field performance throughout 2010.

You're right about the Jimmy era. He put up with players drug/alcohol/prostitue fun loving ways. As long as the team performed on Sunday's. With Jimmy winning always came 1st. Jimmy told his 1st wife that he was all football 24/7 and if she couldn't handle that then she needed to leave. That's what I call comittment to winning. Could you see Rick/Gary making that kind of comittment? Guess what Belichick/Payton/Harbaughs etc... have that 24/7 kind of comittment.

As far as cutting Reed, tell that to Jameel Cook/ Winston/the 3 rookies rookies that got cut/anybody that dared to speak out against Marciano etc....

Reed came from a winning org, he knows what it takes to win at the highest level. A level Texan fans can only dream about the team achieving. Tell me what was untrue about what Reed said.

Meanwhile, Coach Joe and Fat Randy despite doing more to ruin the Texans season than Reed ever could have, still are employed by the Texans.

Reed was just telling the fans what they should already kow, I've played for winning orgs/coaches and the Texans org/coaches are losers.

I think there is more to it as well. If JJ Watt said we were outplayed and outcoached he would still be a Texan the next day. They cut Reed for performance IMO.

Then they should cut a lot of other people based on performance. reed was cut because he spoke the truth. The Texans are sorry.

What an absolute joke this franchise has become. This was a bad signing from the start and now you cut the guy in the middle of a doomed season - causing even more distractions and building more drama. Instead of talking about the Raiders today, every player is going to be bombarded with questions about Reed...not what we needed right now.

What an absolute joke this franchise has become. This was a bad signing from the start and now you cut the guy in the middle of a doomed season - causing even more distractions and building more drama. Instead of talking about the Raiders today, every player is going to be bombarded with questions about Reed...not what we needed right now.

I will never understand all this cap mess, does releasing him now allow us to lose less money rather than releasing him in the offseason?

I will never understand all this cap mess, does releasing him now allow us to lose less money rather than releasing him in the offseason?

He reportedly had a $62,500 bonus for each game he was on the 46 man active roster ($1,000,000 for a 16 game season), so yes, assuming he would have been healthy and on the active roster the remainder of the season, they save $437,500 in cap money by releasing him.

I was just pulling his chain.

Good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Are you going to update your sig?

Seems like I was quite the prognosticator by NOT changing it. The good seasons seem to me more of the anomaly with this regime, rather than treading mediocrity and seeking to have continual "always next year"-type seasons.

You're right about the Jimmy era. He put up with players drug/alcohol/prostitue fun loving ways. As long as the team performed on Sunday's. With Jimmy winning always came 1st. Jimmy told his 1st wife that he was all football 24/7 and if she couldn't handle that then she needed to leave. That's what I call comittment to winning. Could you see Rick/Gary making that kind of comittment? Guess what Belichick/Payton/Harbaughs etc... have that 24/7 kind of comittment.

As far as cutting Reed, tell that to Jameel Cook/ Winston/the 3 rookies rookies that got cut/anybody that dared to speak out against Marciano etc....

Reed came from a winning org, he knew what it took to win at the highest level. A level Texan fans can only dream about the team achieving. Tell me what was untrue about what Reed said.

Meanwhile, Coach Joe and Fat Randy despite doing more to ruin the Texans season than Reed ever could have, still are employed by the Texans.

Reed was just telling the fans what they should already kow, I've played for winning orgs/coaches and the Texans org/coaches are losers.

FIFY

Ed may have had knowledge of what it took, but how did that translate to his contribution to the Texans? Is no-showing for pre-season demonstrating what it takes? Is no-showing for actual game play demonstrating what it takes?

Well before this past week, I've been wishing they would CUT Ed Reed, only as it would be a slap in the face of the man who "took" the money and ran.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2224701&postcount=57

If we step back and wonder why.... Why would the Texans hire a player who cannot contribute on the field? I gotta believe they expected a return greater than that man running his mouth. After a pre-season and 10 regular season weeks, I'm guessing the Texans realized Ed wasn't living up to his end of the deal, and got tired of his talk.

Ed certainly didn't live up to my expectations as a fan. Apparently he also didn't live up to the expectations of The Man. (who ever that may be)

Good bye Ed! What's that saying about where the good lord split ya?? n'mind... just get!

Just heard a clip from OD and he backed up what Ed Reed said and defended Ed Reed.

My guess is that the players are becoming increasingly unhappy with the coaching.

First Antonio, not OD coming out and supporting Ed Reed and basically defending what he said. The team is a mess. One more loss and I bet we'll see more players speaking out.

Dexman, whatever you decide to do with your sig, never take out the "R.I.P Excuses" part of it. That's just classic good stuff.

Well some good might come from this. Just heard we re-signed starling...I liked the little I saw from him in pre season and wanted us to keep him.

Good move texans.

Mark my words, Reed will sign with another team and be the same Reed he has always been. I can see him getting a pick his first game back. It will be another Holiday, Jones, Demps situation ...

Damn.

We are beginning to sound like the boys.

Clueless owner, clueless coaches, problem players, but they do have more wins than us.

What happened?

:kubepalm:

:wadepalm:

:coffee::smiliepalm:

This forum has imploded even more spectacularly than the Texans' season, and that's saying something.

nah, this is nothing. The forum survived 2-14, the Carr Wars, the invasion of the VY Sausage Liberation Army, the pink soapers, and a hostile takeover by corporate overlords and subsequent merging with Texans Talk, among other smaller scale skirmishes (including three presidential elections in the NSZ).

It's all good in the TT neighborhood! :tiphat:

nah, this is nothing. The forum survived 2-14, the Carr Wars, the invasion of the VY Sausage Liberation Army, the pink soapers, and a hostile takeover by corporate overlords and subsequent merging with Texans Talk, among other smaller scale skirmishes (including three presidential elections in the NSZ).

yeah, we had massive meltdowns in the past...this was nothing.

Listening to Antonio it doesn't sound like he was released due to this one statement.

Sounds like Ed was trying to get things to change behind the scenes for a while but no coaches would listen.

You bring in a guy with a lot of know how and a strong personality, and get your panties in a twist when he starts speaking up.

This organization should feel shame.

Listening to Antonio it doesn't sound like he was released due to this one statement.

Sounds like Ed was trying to get things to change behind the scenes for a while but no coaches would listen.

You bring in a guy with a lot of know how and a strong personality, and get your panties in a twist when he starts speaking up.

This organization should feel shame.

I think John McClain nailed it on NFLN last night.

If Reed had been playing great, he could get away with saying whatever he wants to say.

But playing bad combined with speaking out is what got him fired.

And when you take into account the money aspect, it's just business.

Also, fwiw, McClain said the Texans had no idea about the hip surgery when hey signed him. The relationship soured after this point, and not being a Wade Phillips favorite (much less a bad fit for his defensive scheme), McClain thinks they saw the potential for Reed to sour things within the locker room.

The whole situation is just reeks of inept and really just part of a crappy season all the way around.

I think John McClain nailed it on NFLN last night.

If Reed had been playing great, he could get away with saying whatever he wants to say.

But playing bad combined with speaking out is what got him fired.

And when you take into account the money aspect, it's just business.

Also, fwiw, McClain said the Texans had no idea about the hip surgery when hey signed him. The relationship soured after this point, and not being a Wade Phillips favorite (much less a bad fit for his defensive scheme), McClain thinks they saw the potential for Reed to sour things within the locker room.

The whole situation is just reeks of inept and really just part of a crappy season all the way around.

Yep, I said it when we signed him that it was a mistake. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, signing a 35-year old deep zone centerfielder to play FS in man-to-man scheme was doom from the start. Quin was a perfect fit for the system (and a good player) and we let him walk.

This whole season has reeked of FO and coaching ineptitude.

Don't forget the night before the 2006 draft when they signed Mario Williams. :fireball:

Don't forget the night before the 2006 draft when they signed Mario Williams. :fireball:

yep. That night is still the forum record (seen at the bottom of the forum home page):

Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM.

I was one of them! :D

Ineptitude is right. How does Rick Smith not know Reed is considering surgery? Didn't they ask him if he was considering going under the knife in the off-season? They didn't watch his film and suspect some kind of issue?

Ineptitude is right. How does Rick Smith not know Reed is considering surgery? Didn't they ask him if he was considering going under the knife in the off-season? They didn't watch his film and suspect some kind of issue?

Same nfl doctors were used to look at Boselli's shoulder?

:spit:

MSR I tell ya... The fact that I actually managed to survive that one without a permanent ban, amazes me to this day.

Now he will sign with New England, or Denver or KC and win another SuperBowl.

And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.

McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference, Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)

What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)

The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something. Actually all of them have been busts - Moulds, Green & Reed.

McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference, Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

Absolutely the same. Feels just like it but compared to Ed's beat up ass Marshall still had a couple of Pro Bowl seasons left in him. At least Wilbur still had tires.

But yeah, same thing. Scary. Bob ain't Bud but he's got more similarities than many of us would like to admit. I guess it's just an NFL owner kind of thing.

The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something.

I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.

Back