Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Easterby’s Takeover complete..Watson wants out

I hear this is something serious when these kids do this
Maybe...Watson told his agent on Jan 1 to get him moved. He gave them a list. The Texans started with who could give them the most. Jets and Miami have the most picks. The agent wanted it done before the Super Bowl to make a splash. Neither team is offering what the Texans want...yet

You can only cut so much before you start eating up the money you saved to sign replacements. Most likely overpaid JAGs, as the deep cuts are all starters. Wouldn’t be as big of an issue if you could build through the draft but this team is currently depleted in that category. The Watson trade would help, but I still see this team taking at least 2 seasons to be out of cap hell.

Going back to my original point, if Watson leaves the Texans will have to overpay for talent and will most likely settle for overpaid mid tier players. Not exactly a solid foundation for a rebuild. Seems like they’re 2 seasons out from a real rebuild post-Watson.

If they draft say Wilson and he's a franchise QB, plus Casreio drafts well the team will not only be better but FA's will want to play in Houston. I mean FA's not wanting to come to Houston should be the last reason that DW4 shouldn't be traded. Have the Texans ever truly been players in FA?

He’s not very good at his job. Trade deadline been done past. Have to wait until new league year
Teams can agree in principle to trades ahead of the commencing of the new league year, although the deals cannot officially go through until the league year begins anew. When Alex Smith was traded from the Kansas City Chiefs to the Washington Football Team, it was agreed upon in January and became official in March.

if they get wilson they will prob red shirt him his rookie year

i could see nick if he does get the #2 pick trade back and back to try and collect has many high draft picks for next year 2022 is when the texans will splurge with there possible like 18 draft picks

The bottom line though is, he is still under contract. If he really wants out, he'll have to make a concession. The Texans are a sh!t show, but they have the bigger trump card in this argument.

We'll see how it plays out. I think he's got a lil more leverage than most.

We'll see how it plays out. I think he's got a lil more leverage than most.
I don’t see the Texans trading him to a team that hasn’t made the biggest offer.

Say a team Deshaun doesn’t want to go to is offering 4 1sts, 2 2nd’s and 2 3rd’s, but the Jets are offering 2 firsts and Darnold.

I can’t see the Texans, in that scenario, trading him to the Jets.

Both sides will feel they have leverage. Texans have their own no trade clause as with any deal they sign, Watson’s contract freezes if he chooses to sit,
Watson has to be very careful about his PR as it may effect future contract value.

Watson has his no trade clause, ability to show what a mess the Texans are, friends on social media.

The Stafford trade is a good benchmark for the Texans, but you are only worth it if someone is willing to pay.

These guys have to be made to understand what signing a contract means. And for that reason, I hope it does go on the FO holds the line & he winds up sitting for a full year to “stand his ground”. It would mean that he’s lost a year off his prime from a skill set standpoint, also his leverage would effectively be gone at that point b/c we’d still have his rights and that contract would be frozen. He would have gotten nothing. As far as us, we’ll have our full compliment of picks back in 2022, and b/c we’d likely have sucked, all of our picks would likely be top 5 and our cap situation would probably be better and we’d be in prime position to start competing again. From a PR stand point, it can’t get much worse for us...but it can sure get worse for him if say he refuse to wave his no trade clause for a deal WE will accept.

These guys have to be made to understand what signing a contract means. And for that reason, I hope it does go on the FO holds the line & he winds up sitting for a full year to “stand his ground”. It would mean that he’s lost a year off his prime from a skill set standpoint, also his leverage would effectively be gone at that point b/c we’d still have his rights and that contract would be frozen. He would have gotten nothing. As far as us, we’ll have our full compliment of picks back in 2022, and b/c we’d likely have sucked, all of our picks would likely be top 5 and our cap situation would probably be better and we’d be in prime position to start competing again. From a PR stand point, it can’t get much worse for us...but it can sure get worse for him if say he refuse to wave his no trade clause for a deal WE will accept.
I get where you're coming from, but what is worth more, a QB coming off a record setting year, or a QB who hasn't thrown a ball for a year?

Shouldn't our goal be to maximize the return we get for him.

If we’re expecting to be non competitive in 2021 anyway, why not? Players & their agents need to lose from time to time & this would be a big loss, for DeShaun. His agent might lose a little.

But... I don’t really care to be the team that proves a point or teaches lessons. If we can get four 1sts, let’s get four firsts & call it a day.

I get where you're coming from, but what is worth more, a QB coming off a record setting year, or a QB who hasn't thrown a ball for a year?

Shouldn't our goal be to maximize the return we get for him.

It should be, but when the party isn’t cooperating and is/may be part of a campaign to ACTIVELY drive down his value so that the team HE decides HE wants to go to isn’t left gutted like they should be for going after a premium player like himself, then it becomes something else. He’d be/is ACTIVELY trying to screw the Texans..and that’s not dealing in good faith.

He has to be made to understand the consequences of his decision to sign that extension much Like Kaep was made to understand the consequences of his decision; dude paid a steep price. So if he wants to play Russian roulette with his prime years then so be it.

Bottom line for the Texans and for me at this point, is that once it got to this point, the FO now has a responsibility to its fan base to either get what they paid for which is him on the field playing for us.............OR we get the return on assets we should get for a player of his caliber.

I like how Caserio has played it. Come to us. Fine you wanna go to the Jets or Miami, you better get your agent on the phone and help him convince each of those teams to field some competitive offers. otherwise....

We’ll find out just how much the league values him in the next few months by the type of offers they put up for him b/c all 32 teams know what a player of his caliber SHOULD command in a trade. Will they feel comfortable putting that up for him is the question. We’ll also find out about DW4. Would he be willing to pass up 40 million this year by sitting the season out?

If we’re expecting to be non competitive in 2021 anyway, why not? Players & their agents need to lose from time to time & this would be a big loss, for DeShaun. His agent might lose a little.

But... I don’t really care to be the team that proves a point or teaches lessons. If we can get four 1sts, let’s get four firsts & call it a day.

Oh I’m in full agreement with you here.. I’d gladly accept a package like that from anyone....but that’s THE MINIMUM and I could care less if it’s a team that he wants to go to. The problem you run into though is if HE doesn’t accept it due to his no trade clause.

Bottom line is his desire to never play for the Texans again has to override his want to go to his desired team of choice. The FO can force this by holding firm to what they want for him in a trade.....once they make the decision to move him and 2, him losing money hand over fist as the season move along. Will he be willing to pass on 40 million to sit out an entire season?

And there’s still a lesson to be taught here to agents, players and the league. It’s that We are no longer in the business of getting screwed over in trades like we were under BoB so don’t even try anymore.

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports NFLinsiders believe "the Texans will want three first-round picks, or two first-rounders and an established player" in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
The astronomical price for Watson makes sense after the Rams had to part with a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford from Detroit. If the Texans are willing to hold out for that kind of offer, that could narrow Watson's suitors to two or three teams. Person, who covers the Panthers, was skeptical of the team selling out to get Watson, since doing so would make it tougher to improve the team's offensive line. The Panthers would owe Teddy Bridgewater $23 million if they stay put at QB in the coming months -- an unlikely scenario by all accounts. Watson being dealt to Carolina would make D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson much sought-after players in 2021 fantasy drafts.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported the Texans would want two first round draft picks, two second rounders, and two defensive starters in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
McClain's oddly specific trade scenario is hardly a guarantee that the wretched Houston defense would improve in 2021, especially if they part ways with J.J. Watt this offseason. McClain, a longtime Houston beat reporter, said the Texans should start with the Jets, who are reportedly at the top of Watson's trade wish list. The Athletic's Joseph Person, meanwhile, said league insiders expect Houston to demand three first round picks for Watson. Probably it depends on the caliber of defensive player in question, but Person's scenario would seem to be more realistic with demand for Watson, 25, as high as any player in recent NFL history.

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports NFLinsiders believe "the Texans will want three first-round picks, or two first-rounders and an established player" in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
The astronomical price for Watson makes sense after the Rams had to part with a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford from Detroit. If the Texans are willing to hold out for that kind of offer, that could narrow Watson's suitors to two or three teams. Person, who covers the Panthers, was skeptical of the team selling out to get Watson, since doing so would make it tougher to improve the team's offensive line. The Panthers would owe Teddy Bridgewater $23 million if they stay put at QB in the coming months -- an unlikely scenario by all accounts. Watson being dealt to Carolina would make D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson much sought-after players in 2021 fantasy drafts.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported the Texans would want two first round draft picks, two second rounders, and two defensive starters in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
McClain's oddly specific trade scenario is hardly a guarantee that the wretched Houston defense would improve in 2021, especially if they part ways with J.J. Watt this offseason. McClain, a longtime Houston beat reporter, said the Texans should start with the Jets, who are reportedly at the top of Watson's trade wish list. The Athletic's Joseph Person, meanwhile, said league insiders expect Houston to demand three first round picks for Watson. Probably it depends on the caliber of defensive player in question, but Person's scenario would seem to be more realistic with demand for Watson, 25, as high as any player in recent NFL history.
I know you're the messenger so I won't shoot you.

Joe Person on the other hand must be looking for homer discount for Carolina. Sorry Joe. DW4 is the better QB, can run and is ONLY 25. Stafford is pure pocket and is 33. DW4 will have more than twice as much time on the field as MS. If both play till they're 38, MS has 5 yrs left, DW4 has 13 years left. Take MS value and multiply by at least 2.

McClain is a lot warmer. I sense the only player besides DW to be traded might be Sam Darnold. DW4 value is a minimum of (4) 1st RD picks.

The Stafford trade is a good benchmark for the Texans, but you are only worth it if someone is willing to pay.
The Stafford trade is nothing. A 2022 1st is roughly equivalent to a 2021 2nd. A 2023 1st is basically a 2021 3rd.

Essentially the Lions received Goff a 2nd & two 3rds.

That's not going to get it. Not even close.

If DW is actually willing to sit and lose dollars this year then the Texans are in a terrible bind. He wins that scenario 10 out of 10 times so they may have to settle with the best deal they can muster before the draft if they cannot repair things in the interim.

If DW is actually willing to sit and lose dollars this year then the Texans are in a terrible bind. He wins that scenario 10 out of 10 times so they may have to settle with the best deal they can muster before the draft if they cannot repair things in the interim.
Before the new CBA, yes. Under the new CBA, things should work out better for the teams.

Before the new CBA, yes. Under the new CBA, things should work out better for the teams.

It should if the player is worried about fines and lost pay. Not so much if they aren’t concerned about short-term dollar loss.

If we start the season with DW sitting out, no draft picks/fresh players to show for it and predictably start losing it won’t end well for this franchise.

It should if the player is worried about fines and lost pay. Not so much if they aren’t concerned about short-term dollar loss.

If we start the season with DW sitting out, no draft picks/fresh players to show for it and predictably start losing it won’t end well for this franchise.

We went 4-12 with him last year. So this team even with him wasn’t going to be all that great in 2021. So literally All him sitting out is gonna do is take money out of HIS pocket...& if that’s the case, the Texans have recourse to claim some of that signing bonus back.
Sure, he’d be able to whether the storm financially, but if he chooses to sit out, that’s money he’s not gonna ever recoup. Better talk to Le’veon Bell about that.

The Texans have a mess on their hands. First thingsfirst: This isn’t new GM Nick Caserio’s fault, and it’s not new coach David Culley’s fault. But Deshaun Watson’s not returning the Texans’ calls, and his issues with the team, I’ve been told pretty consistently, are over the heads of both those guys, and with owner Cal McNair and EVP Jack Easterby. And I think everyone needs to settle in, because it’s going to take a while for this situation to resolve itself, one way or the other. With that in mind, here are a few things you need to know …

• Watson’s issue isn’t that he didn’t get to pick the GM or head coach. He never asked to. But he was told that he’d be consulted during the search, and he was at first. Then, he had the rug pulled from underneath him with Easterby, who he believed would be more in the background on this, steering the process toward Caserio. That led to a heck of a capper—with Watson finding out about all this on social media. No matter where you stand on this, I think we can all agree that was bad business by the Texans.

• It’s not the first time Watson was put in this sort of spot. He found out about the DeAndre Hopkins trade last March the same way. He took that, and everything else that went down this year, in stride, and put together a high-end season individually despite it all. He was excited about the fresh start the franchise was about to get—and told me as much after a win on Thanksgiving over Detroit. So that the Texans are here now represents a clinic in mismanaging a star player. Or, really, any person you work with.

• The Texans blocked OC Tim Kelly from interviewing for OC jobs with the Titans and Lions, with the belief being that they wanted to hang on to him as an olive branch to Watson. The quarterback did, indeed, really like playing for Kelly down the stretch last year. I’m told he believes in Kelly as a play-caller. But Watson’s issues here, at least for now, are bigger than who’s holding the play sheet on Sunday.

• The hires of Culley as head coach and Pep Hamilton as QB coach, and the expectation that Josh McCown will come aboard at some point (I’m told nothing’s imminent on that front right now, and what his role would be is a work in progress) and perhaps even be positioned to succeed Culley gives Houston strong infrastructure for whoever the quarterback will be. And it seems to be a Watson-friendly setup. But, again, there are bigger issues to tackle first.

• This is going to have to be solved at the ownership level, and I don’t know how McNair can reopen the lines of communication at this point. Owners normally aren’t big on apologizing. But I’d have to think that would be the starting point here, and I don’t know if that’d even work. Also interesting will be whether McNair gets pressure from other owners to hold firm on keeping Watson, so as not to set a sort of NBA-style precedent for the rest of the league.

• The Texans, to my knowledge, have shut down all overtures for a Watson trade, since he requested one two weeks ago. But until this thing is settled, calls are gonna keep coming. At what point does Caserio have to start listening? And if he were to trade Watson, how much pressure would that put on everyone in the building? On the flip side, if Watson doesn’t show up in the spring or summer, how hard will it be for a first-year coaching staff to establish its program?

• I don’t think Watson has a single favored destination. My belief is his only priority will be to get to a place where he can win at a high level. So yes, the no-trade clause gives him a measure of control. But I don’t think he’d use it to veto everyone until he goes to a single hand-picked place. More so, I think he’d use it to avoid a bad situation. And, again, good and bad will be measured, as I see it, in football terms, and won’t be related to business opportunities, marketing or anything like that (he’s doing just fine in those areas).

So if you ask me where this is going, I’d say I don’t know. I’ve heard some people from rival teams say the Texans can’t trade him, and others say there’s no way they’ll be able to avoid that ending to this story. We’ll see what happens.

We went 4-12 with him last year. So this team even with him wasn’t going to be all that great in 2021. So literally All him sitting out is gonna do is take money out of HIS pocket...& if that’s the case, the Texans have recourse to claim some of that signing bonus back.
Sure, he’d be able to whether the storm financially, but if he chooses to sit out, that’s money he’s not gonna ever recoup. Better talk to Le’veon Bell about that.

another 4-12 season without Watson or a slew of young players from draft picks and with Easterby still around is a PR disaster that would cripple the franchise brand (much further) for years to come. Again, they key to all of this is whether DW is willing to take the short-term financial pain. None of us know that answer.

another 4-12 season without Watson or a slew of young players from draft picks and with Easterby still around is a PR disaster that would cripple the franchise brand (much further) for years to come. Again, they key to all of this is whether DW is willing to take the short-term financial pain. None of us know that answer.

Disagree with the 1st part of your post. Everyone who has paid attention to this team knows that even with DW4, this teamwasn’t gonna be that good. The young draft picks under a new regime...most wouldn’t like that We’d be losing but PR disaster? Nope. We already are in a PR disaster now and another losing season wasn’t gonna make it worse. The

I'm 100% with you, man. If I was the owner, I'd make him pout through an entire season before I gave in to his demands.

This organization guaranteed over $110 million just a few months ago in a $160 million deal. That's the kind of money that most of us can't even comprehend. They even gave him a no-trade clause.

He could have pulled a Kirk Cousins and bet on himself year-to-year. I'd have immense respect for him in that case.

So, he either mans up and gives fans the reason(s) why he's demanding out, or we're left with the cryptic tweet BS and the simple fact that he's quit on this city and team.

I'm not happy with the organization for various reasons. But, I'm a Houston fan. As such, call his bluff. Do what is best for the franchise, which is sending a clear signal that they won't bow to extortion for anyone.

Then to continue, he tells his agent this didn't work out so well, he cans him and hires A.J.s uncle to represent him, comes back to play his 5th year on his rookie deal before his new contract goes into effect. And I mean the new, new contract he signed after ending his holdout, which extends his contract to 7 years for the same money and the trade clause is now gone.

If they draft say Wilson and he's a franchise QB, plus Casreio drafts well the team will not only be better but FA's will want to play in Houston. I mean FA's not wanting to come to Houston should be the last reason that DW4 shouldn't be traded. Have the Texans ever truly been players in FA?

I think we'll have to wait until the 2023 season to see if Caserio has the necessary pull to get the Texans truly involved in the high-end of free agency. Two solid drafts would go a long way towards helping push the envelope.

I think we'll have to wait until the 2023 season to see if Caserio has the necessary pull to get the Texans truly involved in the high-end of free agency. Two solid drafts would go a long way towards helping push the envelope.

To me it's all about expectations. We all have expectations for next season. Surely the Texans do as well. So does the rest of the league. If we manage to surpass those expectations I think we'll be alright. If we fail... not so much.

To me it's all about expectations. We all have expectations for next season. Surely the Texans do as well. So does the rest of the league. If we manage to surpass those expectations I think we'll be alright. If we fail... not so much.

I not only expect them to be bad, I actually kind of hope they're bad next yr. If you cant win a SB then be bad. Anything is better than perpetual mediocrity.

We’re not talking about short term dollar loss we are talking about millions of dollars and he loses a invested year in his retirement. On top of that his contract freezes so there is no waiting out the Texans for him like there would be in the NBA. His contract is for 5 years, if he sits out 5 years and then comes back, guess what, his contract is still for 5 years.

No player has been photoshopped into as many different jerseys as Deshaun Watson. In the dead week before Super Bowl week, we, the NFL media and fans, have seized the Watson trade storyline and run wild with it. But in a press conference last week, Houston general manager Nick Caserio stressed his commitment to Watson and said, "We have zero interest in trading the player."

If the Texans do eventually trade Watson, it'll be for a historic haul, and it will usher in an era of player empowerment the NFL has never seen before. But why would they part with their dynamic 25-year-old quarterback? Watson's unhappiness probably isn't enough to convince the new staff in Houston to let the cornerstone of their franchise move on.

Is this trade pursuit even remotely realistic?

One NFL general manager said he hasn't heard anything from Houston that makes him think Watson will be traded, and he suggested this is mainly a media-driven story.

According to two high-level executives from different teams in the quarterback market, Texans brass have told interested teams that they will not be having any conversations about trading Watson.

That stipulation narrows down the options significantly. The New York Jets have Sam Darnold, who will be entering the fourth year of his rookie deal (with a fifth-year option), and the No. 2 overall pick. The Jacksonville Jaguars own the first overall pick along with another first-rounder (No. 25) and two second-round picks. The Miami Dolphins drafted Tua Tagovailoa fifth overall last year and have the No. 3 overall pick this year.

The Los Angeles Rams' trade with the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford came together quickly because both Stafford and the Lions were on the same page. If something were to develop with Watson, it's going to be on a much slower timeline.

If Jacksonville is interested, that could end up being a day-before-the-draft type of deal. That, or something involving any other high pick, would depend on how Houston feels about this year's quarterback class, an evaluation process that has been limited because of COVID-19 protocol.

The first executive thinks of Watson's situation like Carson Palmer's trade request in Cincinnati.

In 2011, after a 4-12 season, Palmer requested a trade. He threatened to retire if that demand was not met. He has since explained that he wanted out because he felt the organization wasn't 100 percent committed to winning. (This sentiment feels similar to Watson's end-of-season message that the Texans have "no real foundation in view.")

Bengals owner and president Mike Brown said he would not trade Palmer, and the Bengals selected quarterback Andy Dalton in the second round of the 2011 draft. Palmer did not report for camp that year, and the Bengals placed him on the reserve/did not report list. The Bengals played Dalton as a rookie and Palmer never officially retired, but he never showed up in Cincinnati.

In October, the Raiders were desperate for a QB and offered a first- and second-round pick for Palmer. The Bengals finally agreed to trade him.

"I look at it as a similar, if you want to call it, staring contest," the executive said.

Why do these keep coming back?
I've deleted them 9 times now.
Use bracket s bracket at beginning and then bracket /s bracket at the end.
Strike through everything.
I highlighted everything & hit the strike through button. Every strike through went away

Back