Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Ok
Just curious but what would speed up the trial process in 2022? My understanding is that in most trials the defendant's attorney tries to slow the process down. Others here have said that 2023 looks more likely to be a trial date set. Are you anticipating clearing of the massive backup at courts over the next year?
I'm no one who knows anything, really. It's just once depositions are concluded then grand juries, prosecutors and district attorneys can take their next steps. Who has any idea how any backup may affect the proceedings, but I am one who has commented this could drag on into 2023.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think you're right. I mean be it the NFL or just an agreement between the two teams. I don’t see how a team is going to give us say 2 1st round picks and multiple players and picks...without a fall back in their favor. And sadly they would hold the power. "We give you all of this for our franchise QB. But, if he did go to jail we want 75% of what we gave you back." Seems like that would be what a team would do. If I were a teams GM I would need that or better to do the deal now. 2yrs about isn't too long for them to wait if they don't get a sweet prenuptial in the deal. Or worse, they give us a few picks like a 1st and 3rd. But, if he goes to jail...they owe nothing. And we have to give them a 2nd (a perfect middle between 1st and 3rd round picks).
So could Texans get extra picks for every year after jail time that DW plays? 🤔

So he gets out of prison in 2024 in time to play. In 2025 and onward every time he plays eight games or more we get a third round pick next draft for that year. 12 games or more we get a second round pick. A complete season and we get a round 1. If he makes it to the Pro Bowl we get a first round and a third-round pick. If he is All Pro we get our pick of a player off the roster with maybe a top 10 protection for the Dolphins. Just asking..

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

So he gets out of prison in 2024 in time to play. In 2025 and onward every time he plays eight games or more we get a third round pick next draft for that year. 12 games or more we get a second round pick. A complete season and we get a round 1. If he makes it to the Pro Bowl we get a first round and a third-round pick. If he is All Pro we get our pick of a player off the roster with maybe a top 10 protection for the Dolphins. Just asking..

No teams doing that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well yeah, I totally agree with you. But these are different issues. In the meantime is the NFL also stonewalling any possible trade Scenario? I say this because even though the prudent thing for any GM would be to wait to see what DW’s disposition is I dont believe all owners or GM’s would use proper discretion. Hell DW sure didn’t. Just makes me theorize that Goodell may be orchestrating how this will play out so the DW style trade demands don’t take root.
Ok

I'm no one who knows anything, really. It's just once depositions are concluded then grand juries, prosecutors and district attorneys can take their next steps. Who has any idea how any backup may affect the proceedings, but I am one who has commented this could drag on into 2023.
Thanks for jogging my memory as I could not remember who it was. I think that would be a more feasible date for a trial if indicted.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I would have thought that everyone would have understood I was being facetious. We should not take this risk aversion too far as Miami would be getting a 10-year franchise QB at minimum. They should have to pay for that.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Just a point that a player from Miami has to be part of the trade to match Watson's salary base 10 million dollars - 3 paid thru game 5 . That seems still best to be Xavier Howard. If he were included as part of the post you quoted I would take that without any risk aversion steps. I would also tell the Dolphins that they will have full access to Watson for 2021 which would get them at minimum in my opinion to a playoff berth and possibly deeper. That in itself is worth a lot of risk.
We should not forget that the legal experts here have said that the earliest Watson will probably go on trial if indicted is 2023 which indicates to me a good portion if not all of 2022 he could be eligible to play; again that's if he is indicted.

To clarify Miami only has SF round 1, their own round 2 and two round 3s as of now for 2022. That plus both 2023 round ones would be my goal but would settle for the highest although both should be at end of round one and why I think Ross will go for it. Howard has to be part to match DW as Miami has only ~ $2m space now. A restructure of someone could also manage that but I don't see who. I've stated before that Miami wants to move Howard due future debate over his contract.
The rental could essentially be the Texans or Dolphins.

The Texans will not be putting Watson onto the field for every reason already noted

The Dolphins on the other hand do not have the luxury of waiting for Watson’s situation to be an absolute. They’re about 4-5 losses away from tossing their season and focusing on the draft.

This isn’t a one way street as to which team owns the upper hand.

Texans need to dump Watson before his 2022 payday is on the books. Dolphins need a QB1 of Watson’s caliber as they’re in their window of being highly competitive.

Make an amicable deal so both teams are comfortable making this tricky trade. The trade right now would be for primary talent and hopefully a toss in for some picks in the 2022 NFL draft. I’ll even up the immediate trade:

Phase I 2021 Deal
Dolphins Get:
Watson
Howard or Scharping

Texans Get:
Howard
Eichenberg
RD2
RD5

Phase II 2022, 23, and/or 25 Deal / Innocent or Guilty

This where the picks and/or safety nets come into play. The 2021 trade is done with no nets…a risk for both parties.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
The rental could essentially be the Texans or Dolphins.

The Texans will not be putting Watson onto the field for every reason already noted

The Dolphins on the other hand do not have the luxury of waiting for Watson’s situation to be an absolute. They’re about 4-5 losses away from tossing their season and focusing on the draft.

This isn’t a one way street as to which team owns the upper hand.

Texans need to dump Watson before his 2022 payday is on the books. Dolphins need a QB1 of Watson’s caliber as they’re in their window of being highly competitive.

Make an amicable deal so both teams are comfortable making this tricky trade. The trade right now would be for primary talent and hopefully a toss in for some picks in the 2022 NFL draft. I’ll even up the immediate trade:

Phase I 2021 Deal
Dolphins Get:
Watson
Howard or Tunsil

Texans Get:
Howard
Eichenberg
RD2
RD5

Phase II 2022, 23, and/or 25 Deal / Innocent or Guilty

This where the picks and/or safety nets come into play. The 2021 trade is done with no nets…a risk for both parties.
Enjoy your thoughts but I'm not good with Tunsil and DW going to Miami but will think more on Titus Howard being part of deal. Eichenberg doesn't thrill me.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Enjoy your thoughts but I'm not good with Tunsil and DW going to Miami but will think more on Titus Howard being part of deal. Eichenberg doesn't thrill me.
Sorry about that Badboy…..too many things going on while I was trying to write the post. I’ve already corrected the original by replacing Tunsil with Scharping.

I’ve got Tunsil on a separate trade concept all by himself. How about:

Eagles Get:
LT- Tunsil

Texans Get:
CB- Nelson (2022 UDFA)
LG- Dickerson (1st Year of Rookie Contract )
2022 RD1 (2nd Pick)
2022 RD1 (3rd Pick)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sorry about that Badboy…..too many things going on while I was trying to write the post. I’ve already corrected the original by replacing Tunsil with Scharping.

I’ve got Tunsil on a separate trade concept all by himself. How about:

Eagles Get:
LT- Tunsil

Texans Get:
CB- Nelson (2022 UDFA)
LG- Dickerson (1st Year of Rookie Contract )
2022 RD1 (2nd Pick)
2022 RD1 (3rd Pick)
Thanks for clarification caught me by surprise as not in alignment with your previous posts but I am interested in all thoughts as can lead to another. I am not as high on Nelson this season. 17 targets against him he's allowed 77% & two TDs and almost a first down every time he is targeted. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/steven-nelson/

He had been a top corner before coming to Eagles & as this is his contract year I was hoping for more. I would jump on this trade although I don't have Eagles drafting that high and also if Miami gets Deshaun soon, that other round one better be the one from Indy and it should be. I would trade Tunsil for any two top 10 round ones in 2022.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ok

Yep,

I'm hoping that the depositions that will be taken of Derrick in February of 2022 will clear up enough things that will allow Derrick to be traded before the 2022 draft. But I dont have much faith in this being resolved before the 2022 draft.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just found this on Howard injuries..
Dolphins Wire: Brian Flores provides updates on DeVante Parker, Xavien Howard, and Byron Jones.
Howard previously was suffering from an ankle injury. To try to temporarily placate him, the Dolphins just restructured his 2021 contract with incentives that could bring him $16+ million....with a promise to revisit his contract next year. He was disgruntled with his contract and, like Hopkins wanted his contract redone with 3 years left. In any trade, next year he will be looking to be the top paid NFL CB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Howard previously was suffering from an ankle injury. To try to temporarily placate him, the Dolphins just restructured his 2021 contract with incentives that could bring him $16+ million....with a promise to revisit his contract next year. He was disgruntled with his contract and, like Hopkins wanted his contract redone with 3 years left. In any trade, next year he will be looking to be the top paid NFL CB.
Yep, Howard's injury history scares me.

On top of wanting to get paid with 3 yrs left on his deal.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
it seems like the texans will wait has long has possible to trade watson like obvs after all his legal problems are behind him and a couple of months after that

what if the texans dont trade watson till the 2023 season ..????

and what are the chances watson acctually plays a few games for houston if he is not traded in 2022

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I'm sure whatever happens the Texans will come out on the short end of the stick. It's just the Texans nature. If someone else isn't screwing them, they screw themselves to make up for it.
The Texans could get the better end of the deal for once and the national media will spin it as we are losers.

“I still can’t believe the Texans only got 3 first round picks for Watson. They were robbed blind. Here is our sideline reporter to bring you more details from Deshaun Watson’s cell where he will be spending 24 months for his crimes.”

The Texans could get the better end of the deal for once and the national media will spin it as we are losers.

“I still can’t believe the Texans only got 3 first round picks for Watson. They were robbed blind. Here is our sideline reporter to bring you more details from Deshaun Watson’s cell where he will be spending 24 months for his crimes.”
stop blaming the national media and instead point your finger at the failed leadership of this franchise. Nobody on Kirby deserves the benefit of the doubt anymore.

What were you expecting this season? In what way has the leadership failed?
First, this goes well beyond this season and that’s why the national media continues to hammer us. Systemic incompetence.

As for this season, we are getting exactly what I expected in terms of losses - but amazingly a roster that still includes David Johnson, Rex Burkhead and Danny Amendola along with one of the worst coaching staffs assembled.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

24 months?

24 yrs

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
stop blaming the national media and instead point your finger at the failed leadership of this franchise. Nobody on Kirby deserves the benefit of the doubt anymore.
While I agree about mgmt, this situation is fully on Derrick. But Cal put money above doing the right thing. Curiously we haven't heard from Mamma Watson lately.

While I agree about mgmt, this situation is fully on Derrick. But Cal put money above doing the right thing. Curiously we haven't heard from Mamma Watson lately.
make no mistake, this isn’t meant to excuse his behavior in any way. I‘m only arguing that the national press hammers us relentlessly because of a history of poor decisions and worse so even if at times it seems like over-the-top criticism we don’t really have grounds to complain about the coverage.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
For those not familiar with Brandt:

INSIDE THE FRONT OFFICE
In 1999, Andrew Brandt joined the Green Bay Packers as their Vice President of Player Finance and General Counsel. Brandt negotiated all player contracts, managed the NFL Salary Cap, and handled all business-related football operations. He also served as the club’s liaison with the NFL Management Council. While at the Packers, Brandt’s skillful management earned him professional acclaim within the league. Highlights from his tenure with the Packers include making the playoffs every year but one, having the best record in the NFL during that time, winning multiple NFC North divisions, hosting the NFC Championship Game in 2008, and negotiating contracts for most of the players who eventually led the Packers to their Super Bowl XLV victory.

Working side by side with NFL player personnel and agents that are active in the league today, this experience offers a deep well of perspective and insight as a current member of the sports media. His inside knowledge of contract negotiations from both sides of the table enables Brandt to provide the full scope when analyzing current events and contract deals in the league.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
As of today, besides the question of the court and grand jury status and the question of the NFL's potential actions.....................the Texans are still demanding 3 first round picks +, and the Dolphins are not accepting..............
and the Dolphins are expecting "protection" from potential time lost due to court and/or NFL actions, and the Texans are not accepting.

Number19

Hall of Fame
As of today, besides the question of the court and grand jury status and the question of the NFL's potential actions.....................the Texans are still demanding 3 first round picks +, and the Dolphins are not accepting..............
and the Dolphins are expecting "protection" from potential time lost due to court and/or NFL actions, and the Texans are not accepting.
Fine, let the Texans play hardball. Next March they will owe Watson $40,400,000 (base salary + signing bonus) to sit out the 2022 season. Maybe at some point in 2022 all the legality will be resolved and they can work an inseason trade before the Nov 2022 trade deadline. Otherwise it may be 2023 before anything is resolved, provided Watson is not sitting in a prison cell. If he is sentenced to time, it may be 2024 or 2025 before he can return to play. And a trade worked out?

This seems to be the hardball the Texans, and trade partners,, are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.