Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Browns fans really aren't going to be happy if Derrick is suspended for yr, then they give Garrett his big contract and have to start letting guys like Cooper/Chubb/Ward go because Derrick will be taking up too much of the cap in a couple of yrs after not playing this yr. Factory of Sadness.

Yep. The implications of this trade and contract on the Browns is predictable. We have decades of NFL free agency and salary cap history to go by, and there will certainly be long term consequences of this deal as it pertains to the Browns being able to field a competitive team after the next two seasons.

To use the concept of Newton's third law here: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. And without 1st round draft capital until 2025 and a massive salary gobbling up so much cap space, the Browns are going to feel the impact, and subsequent regret, if they don't win a Lombardi in the next couple of seasons.

That's not even considering the likelihood of Watson eventually quitting on the Browns and demanding a trade, which is his M.O. now.

I'd wish them luck, but the truth is that it would all be bad luck.

Some of the Cleveland media's reactions:

Dave 'Dino' DeNatale column: Cleveland Browns paid too high of a price for Deshaun Watson

I've covered Cleveland sports closely for more than 20 years. I'm not sure that I've seen an athlete divide the fan base as much as Watson has in Cleveland. And that was earlier this week when the Browns brass just met with the three-time Pro Bowler. Now, social media is erupting.

Fans are divided into two camps: The ones that want to win at all costs against the ones that are disgusted by the allegations made against Watson by nearly two-dozen women.

I had a friend text me today: "What do I tell my son about Watson?"

Honestly, I don't know. Despite what the grand jury decided, Deshaun Watson has been found guilty in the court of public opinion for many people across the nation. And that doesn't just go away. In this time of the #MeToo movement and renewed calls for social justice in this country, we are going to see protests, signs, and a lot of negativity directed towards Watson, the Browns, and the NFL. Are the Haslams ready for boycotts? Can Kevin Stefanski and his coaching staff block out the noise and focus on football?

We're going to find out.

Taking a hard look at the Deshaun Watson deal from both sides – Terry’s Talkin’ Browns

WHY I DON’T LIKE THE DESHAUN WATSON DEAL

I wrote a passionate column Friday after the trade was made, ripping the Browns for the deal. A day later, I still don’t like it for several reasons:

Browns’ huge gamble with Deshaun Watson oozes desperation – Terry Pluto

I can’t decide if I’m outraged or speechless.

Or both.

The Browns just guaranteed the most money in NFL history to a guy who didn’t even play last season because of his legal problems dealing with alleged sexual-assault cases, While no criminal charges will be filed, there are still 22 civil claims pending.

Furthermore, he possibly will be suspended for some games to open this season.

Giving up salary cap space....

Future draft assets...

A contract larger (in guarantees) than those recently given to Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Josh Allen?

What kind of analytics is this?

I’ll answer my own question: It’s desperation.

Some of the Cleveland media's reactions:

From the article:
The Browns just guaranteed the most money in NFL history to a guy who didn’t even play last season because of his legal problems dealing with alleged sexual-assault cases, While no criminal charges will be filed, there are still 22 civil claims pending.

No. He didn’t play because he totally quit on his team.

No one outside of Houston is getting this fact.

From the article:

No. He didn’t play because he totally quit on his team.

No one outside of Houston is getting this fact.

Yep. And if the reported reason is true (it still remains unconfirmed by either side 14 months later), then they should expect the same quitter attitude from Watson in the future.

He's a great talent with serious character flaws. Their only hope is that they win a SB before his salary and character eventually cancers their franchise. And good luck with all that in an AFC now loaded with QB talent.

Ben’s Back Page: An open letter to Cleveland Browns fans
After the Cleveland Browns traded for Deshaun Watson then signed him to a fully-guaranteed five-year $230 million contract, Browns fans are facing a tough decision.
By Ben CohenMarch 23, 2022 at 2:16 pm PDT
“Ben’s Back Page” is a column by Ben Cohen focusing on national sports’ hot topics.

Cleveland, I feel for you.

On Friday, March 11 when a grand jury in Texas declined to indict Deshaun Watson on criminal charges of sexual misconduct, NFL teams decided the remaining uncertainty about Watson’s potential misconduct could take a back seat to their hopes of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.
Watson refused to play for the Houston Texans last year and demanded a trade. He still faces 22 active civil lawsuits and has not been exonerated. Still, assurance that Watson wouldn’t go to prison was all some NFL teams needed.

Your General Manager, Andrew Berry, ended up trading for him.

Maybe you have no problem separating the person from the player, at least until proven guilty. But, if you’re questioning your fandom for the team you grew up with because you don’t know if you can support an organization that has picked Deshaun Watson as its new franchise quarterback, I get it. Truly, I do.

I’m not a Browns fan, thankfully, but earlier this year I reconsidered my love for English soccer club Manchester United when Mason Greenwood, a 20-year-old forward, was arrested for sexual harassment and rape.
Greenwood is just a few months older than me. He was the first United player I felt like I grew up with.
I idolized him.

Of course, the pain I felt is irrelevant compared to what his ex-girlfriend went through, but I felt let down. I wanted to buy his jersey.

Can you imagine if I had worn his name on my back?

That experience gave me perspective. I couldn’t even talk about the rest of the team for a little while — it just felt unimportant.

Now imagine if Greenwood returned to play for the club. What was a player doing the unspeakable would have become an organization condoning it. I don’t know if I’d be able to continue supporting the club I’ve loved since before I can remember.

I don’t wish that feeling on anyone. Browns fans, if that’s what you’re going through, I empathize with you.
Your general manager didn’t just want him. He didn’t just pay him. He made sure Watson got all of his money guaranteed.

But if that wasn’t bad enough, take a closer look at the contract. In Year 1, Watson’s base salary is just $1 million, despite the average annual value of the contract being $46 million.

Why does that matter? Because if Watson gets suspended this season as a result of his twenty-two pending civil lawsuits for sexual misconduct, the money he would lose through suspension would come out of his Year 1 base salary.

If suspended, he’ll lose less money because Cleveland planned it that way.

Wherever you stand on trading for a player facing civil lawsuits, this contract showed Cleveland’s true colors. Watson’s new contract was structured to use his potential crimes as an incentive for him to sign.

Berry chose to protect Watson and his money and to make sure he faced as few consequences as possible.
You don’t just have Deshaun Watson, but those in the Cleveland front office who signed him, too. Whether or not Deshaun Watson is guilty, the Browns decided that they didn’t care.

If you decide to part ways with your beloved team, I can’t blame you.

If you stick with the Dawg Pound, I can’t blame you either.

But for me and the majority of NFL fans, we’ll be rooting for your opponents for the foreseeable future.

This is my first oportunity to look at Watson's contract in detail on SPOTRAC:

1648078803969.png
Because of his "restructured 1st yr" (to protect his salary from punishment, his annual cap hits from here on out is ~$55 million. If his "punishments" do not occur until next year, the Browns have already said that they would again do a similar restructure. Those 2nd restructured annual cap numbers would be even more fun for the Browns.

View attachment 9907
Because of his "restructured 1st yr" (to protect his salary from punishment, his annual cap hits from here on out is ~$55 million. If his "punishments" do not occur until next year, the Browns have already said that they would again do a similar restructure. Those 2nd restructured annual cap numbers would be even more fun for the Browns.

Why couldn’t Goodell just fine him?

View attachment 9907
The Saints have 25m of cap space and 30m worth of dead money. The cap can be manipulated and when teams want to keep players and sign good players they find a way. Look no further than The Rams who had 30m of dead money and somehow found money to give Robinson a good deal and resign Stafford to over 40m per year. If you revenue and have deep pockets can have cash over cap (signing bonus).

They didn't fine Brady when the Patriots did his salary the same way.

The Patriots made it very clear they disagreed with the NFL’s decision. The contract restructure was them giving the NFL the finger and it wasn’t a large enough issue for them to make a big deal out of it. Browns are claiming they respect the process will let things run their course.

Besides Brady wasn’t accused of sexual assault by 22 women, he was playing with deflated balls. If Watson had been playing with deflated balls he wouldn’t be in this mess. Let’s not demean ourselves by comparing deflatagate with what Watson is accused of.

The Patriots made it very clear they disagreed with the NFL’s decision. The contract restructure was them giving the NFL the finger and it wasn’t a large enough issue for them to make a big deal out of it. Browns are claiming they respect the process will let things run their course.

Besides Brady wasn’t accused of sexual assault by 22 women, he was playing with deflated balls. If Watson had been playing with deflated balls he wouldn’t be in this mess. Let’s not demean ourselves by comparing deflatagate with what Watson is accused of.
They dropped his salary to lower the fine amount whether it was women or bending the rules which the Patriots are known for. So the precedent wasn't set then. By the way, he's going to miss games, thats a known, but how many, nobody knows. They could've done it last year, but because of previous situations, they're holding back.

They dropped his salary to lower the fine amount whether it was women or bending the rules which the Patriots are known for. So the precedent wasn't set then. By the way, he's going to miss games, thats a known, but how many, nobody knows. They could've done it last year, but because of previous situations, they're holding back.

Are you really going to compare the two? You are actually comparing cheating in a football game to sexual assault of almost 2 dozen women? Seriously?

I don't know who these guys are (I came across them while surfing YT), but they have some good points about Watson's power with his new contract.

His $230 million guaranteed basically gives him unequivocal power within the organization to determine who he wants for coaches. What are they going to do when he pulls the same thing he did in H-town? They are on the hook for his entire contract and they will most likely capitulate to his demands:

I don't know who these guys are (I came across them while surfing YT), but they have some good points about Watson's power with his new contract.

His $230 million guaranteed basically gives him unequivocal power within the organization to determine who he wants for coaches. What are they going to do when he pulls the same thing he did in H-town? They are on the hook for his entire contract and they will most likely capitulate to his demands:

Would be interesting what they will say now after the consideration of the 2nd GJ.

More on this soon ..... its a bombshell.

Reactions: JB
"1000% f*%king agree. I absolutely loathe being a Browns fan. If I could go back 35 years, and punch myself in the face until I was forced to choose a different franchise. Being a Browns fan is an indictment on my decision making as a grown ass adult."

People keep saying Watson signed a 230 million dollar contract with the Browns. That's true, but the Texans already paid him a 27 million dollar signing bonus for a contract which never took effect. In reality Watson is getting 257 million dollars for 5 years. I don't understand why the Browns don't have to pay the Texans that 27 million since the contract was not in effect for the Texans. I understand it was a signing bonus, but damn.

People keep saying Watson signed a 230 million dollar contract with the Browns. That's true, but the Texans already paid him a 27 million dollar signing bonus for a contract which never took effect. In reality Watson is getting 257 million dollars for 5 years. I don't understand why the Browns don't have to pay the Texans that 27 million since the contract was not in effect for the Texans. I understand it was a signing bonus, but damn.

I really wish the Texans would go after him for that bonus + last year's salary, as he was paid on a contract that he never played a down of football to earn.

But, it's not my money, so I'd only want to see it happen to rattle his cage and maybe distract him to have a terrible 2022 season, which helps drive up the value of that 2023 no. 1 pick. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back