Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dunta Robinson, Texans to Part Ways

OD is restricted. No need to franchise him.

So is Demeco too I believe so don't need to use it there. Texans don't like to use the franchise tag anyway, I believe D-rob was the first.

So who of our UFA's could garner the tag? Off the top of my head the biggest ufa is Kevin Walter, don't think they would use it there or need it for that matter, I bet he sticks around.

Priority wise for all FA's, I hope to see Demeco and OD locked up soon.....although I know they will drag out the OD thing now because of the injury.

So is Demeco too I believe so don't need to use it there. Texans don't like to use the franchise tag anyway, I believe D-rob was the first.

So who of our UFA's could garner the tag? Off the top of my head the biggest ufa is Kevin Walter, don't think they would use it there or need it for that matter, I bet he sticks around.

Priority wise for all FA's, I hope to see Demeco and OD locked up soon.....although I know they will drag out the OD thing now because of the injury.

We actually have several RFA's, with D-Ryans, OD and Pollard being the most notable.

Other than possibly Drob, nobody's really deserving of a tag. Even that could be argued.

DRob was the first to be tagged by the Texans. But IMO, we have never had the talent deserving of one due to being a young team and by a really crappy previous coaching regime.

I'd reeeeaaaaally like to see D-Ryans get locked up with a worthy contract. I'd allow OD and Pollard a "prove it again" year by tendering them

Haven't seen this posted anywhere

From John McClain's twitter
"Spoke with CB Dunta Robinson and he's heard nothing. That tells me they have no plans to franchise him by Feb. 25 deadline."

link: http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/9248900529

Why would they tell him? They're under no obligation to do so. Maybe they're just protecting their interests. I definitely would enjoy listening to McClain trying to explain the stories if we franchise him. Dunta would be irked and that to me... is hilariously funny. I love seeing a man be mad about being paid with double digit millions. It makes for good comedy. Friggin' people sometimes.... *shakes head*

That being said, I don't care what we do. Dunta moves on? Fine. If he remains a Texan? Also fine. I just hope the Texans know what they're doing. We need more wins.

Why would they tell him? They're under no obligation to do so. Maybe they're just protecting their interests. I definitely would enjoy listening to McClain trying to explain the stories if we franchise him. Dunta would be irked and that to me... is hilariously funny. I love seeing a man be mad about being paid with double digit millions. It makes for good comedy. Friggin' people sometimes.... *shakes head*

That being said, I don't care what we do. Dunta moves on? Fine. If he remains a Texan? Also fine. I just hope the Texans know what they're doing. We need more wins.

That mostly describes how I feel about "The Dunta Situation" but I am a little worried what effect Robinson will have on the team if they try to keep him against his will. He is one of the few Texans to not only be in a position to cause a disruption but also be entirely capable of it. I just think that if he wants to leave it's best to let him leave. Get something in return if you can but let him leave.

But if they choose to keep him and he's not going to be a distraction then that's cool.

Dunta was previously quoted as saying he would not mind if the Texans franchised him.

Is there any other way that he would be kept here against his will?

He'd be a very good # 2 CB but is just not a # 1 CB and therefore should not be paid as such. Unfortunately, we've yet to find someone better than him since Aaron Glenn was cut after his rookie year so if we keep him its gonna be for more than he's worth.

0 INTs last season SHOULD be a tough sell for Dunta's agent. Its not like teams were completely avoiding him either... VY bounced one off his chest on MNF!!!

Dunta.

I think I have heard of the guy.

Is he the guy with the special shoes?

Oh, OK. Yeah, I remember him now.

Wait. What position does he play? I think he's that guy I remember from a few years back, but maybe I have him confused with another guy.

Yeah, put me down as Could Care Less.

I think if the organization thought Dunta was still a #1 CB they'd be franchising him or discussing a long-term deal

It looks as if the organization thinks he's lost a step or two or three and that he's not even an upgrade to Reeves or Quinn at this point...

This draft being ULTRA deep in CBs (starters can be found even in the 3rd-5th round range) doesn't help Dunta either

My prediction:
We let Dunta walk, Reeves & Quinn become the de facto starters, McCain slides to the nickel and we draft a CB or two and roll the dice and hope one outplays what we already have

...let Dunta walk, Reeves & Quinn become the de facto starters, McCain slides to the nickel and we draft a CB or two and roll the dice and hope one outplays what we already have
That's fine. Go with 3 CBs in their 1st or 2nd year. I just don't want to hear the "The Texans are young and building" excuse. Again. Choosing rookies over vets should not earn another...

get_out_of_jail_free_card_small.jpg

I still have high expectations for Molden.

Drafting a CB in Rds1-3 probably will happen.

How high will depend on if they think the CB drafted is an upgrade over what is already on the roster at CB. (Wilson)

Versus how big an upgrade at interior OL (Iupati) or RB (Spiller/Dwyer)

Smithiak will draft whichever position that helps contribute to winning the fastest. IMHO

BTW Duntas gone, be sure to take your shoes with you

I still have high expectations for Molden.

Drafting a CB in Rds1-3 probably will happen.

How high will depend on if they think the CB drafted is an upgrade over what is already on the roster at CB. (Wilson)

Versus how big an upgrade at interior OL (Iupati) or RB (Spiller/Dwyer)

Smithiak will draft whichever position that helps contribute to winning the fastest. IMHO

BTW Duntas gone, be sure to take your shoes with you

I think Molden will be lucky to make the team outta camp...

Rick Smith seems to have a knack for finding value DBs in the draft, I trust he'll find one in the 3rd-7th rounds

I agree, we'll draft who ever contributes to winning soonest. But I also think it'll be a lineman (either side of the ball) in the first round.

It's not quite like hearing it straight from the team, but...

NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday that the Houston Texans have decided not to place the franchise tag on cornerback Dunta Robinson, which means he will become an unrestricted free agent and will sign elsewhere.

LINK

Last edited:
Link seems busted.

I am sad to hear that, but not shocked. We will see what he is worth in the open market I guess, but I doubt the Texans bid.

He's pretty damn delusional in his own self worth. I really wonder how much he'll get on the open market, and if he'll ever play like he did pre injury.

But, my thought is good riddance... Later Willie!

He had 0 interceptions and went from being our best tackling DB in previous seasons to the worst tackling DB on the team when Bennett and Busing weren't in the game. I'm glad to see that they aren't overestimating his value. Hopefully the plan to replace him involves something more than hoping Molden stays healthy or Fred Bennett improves.

He had 0 interceptions and went from being our best tackling DB in previous seasons to the worst tackling DB on the team when Bennett and Busing weren't in the game. I'm glad to see that they aren't overestimating his value. Hopefully the plan to replace him involves something more than hoping Molden stays healthy or Fred Bennett improves.

This......

Looks like the CB position just moved up in the Texans FA/draft wish list. Not that any of us are very surprised by this.

For those two it's a longshot. Bennett didn't even dress for a couple games this year and molden can't get on the field cause he's injured so much. We need to bring in a free agent or draft a cb. It's an absolute must too IMO.

Lance was saying on 1560 this morning that there's no pressing desire from the Texans' defensive staff to keep him around.

After the declining play the past few seasons, especially last season there is no way I would have kept him around for the money he was robbing this francise of.

He never was the same CB after he got moved to the #1 spot. Aaron Glenn made him look good his rookie season.

According to John McClain this morning, Texans will not tag Robinson and all negotiations have been closed, thus Robinson will become a free agent in March.

He said it was on Chron.com but didn't see the story just yet...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6882589.html

Of course McClain was the one right after the season that proclaimed Dunta had a great season and was a top CB in the league until someone showed him the stats.

I wouldn't of minded keeping him for a fair price. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing him go. I wish i could feel confidence in the next man up though..

For those two it's a longshot. Bennett didn't even dress for a couple games this year and molden can't get on the field cause he's injured so much. We need to bring in a free agent or draft a cb. It's an absolute must too IMO.

This is the only thing that bothers me about him leaving. Now that we're not bringing Dunta back it's going to force the CB position to be more of a priority over DT, FS, C/G, etc. this off-season.

They like Quin and McCain's decent, but as a #2? Jacque 'Don't Look Back' Reeves is NOT the answer as our #2 or possibly even nickel back. To me, Molden and Bennett aren't even in the picture.

In the end, I wish Dunta well. Other than the one bad move last off-season, he was a good guy and I liked him.

I wouldn't of minded keeping him for a fair price. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing him go. I wish i could feel confidence in the next man up though..

Thats why they couldnt franchise him. He would have costed what he cost last year +20% which is crazy money for him. And I think Dunta might feel he is worth more than what he actually is worth.

So the Texans will let him test the FA waters and we can make a bid that is in line with other teams offers, that is probably waaaay lower than what he wants from us right now.

All I have to say is thank God he turned down the contract we offered him last offseason.

So for the people who are glad that Dunta is gone, who are you going to put on the opositions best WR? Dunta was the best thing we had to an all around corner #1. Now you either have to go out and overspend in FA, or use your first round pick on a CB really limiting your draft plans.

So for the people who are glad that Dunta is gone, who are you going to put on the opositions best WR? Dunta was the best thing we had to an all around corner #1. Now you either have to go out and overspend in FA, or use your first round pick on a CB really limiting your draft plans.

I don't think it limits your draft needs. They need more CBs to start and knew this might happen. So you still have the need for CB, FS, RB and DT. All were options in the first few rounds. I think starting fresh there isn't a bad thing. You don't need a guy like Dunta trying to make every big hit and whiffing in coverage. You need a guy who is solid and who won't get burned. The D has more talent where solid play and keeping guys underneath is just as important.

As far as Dunta, I'm glad his act is gone but he did do one thing right...tell the public what we already knew about TQBWSBN

I don't think it limits your draft needs. They need more CBs to start and knew this might happen. So you still have the need for CB, FS, RB and DT. All were options in the first few rounds. I think starting fresh there isn't a bad thing. You don't need a guy like Dunta trying to make every big hit and whiffing in coverage. You need a guy who is solid and who won't get burned. the D has more talent where solid play and keeping guys underneath is just as important.

As far as Dunta, I'm glad his act is gone but he did do one thing right...tell the public what we already knew about TQBWSBN

We also need C, G for the RB to run behind. We have to retool the line. Don't put the cart before the horse, no RB is made of magic, they don't create the holes, they just find/run through them

Back