Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dre Whips Finnegan

Wow kiwi. Unsuspecting? Your story begins with Andre throwing him to the ground. Lets look at the first contact on this play (to say nothing of the play before)

FinneganDefense.jpg

I was brought up to defend myself, the big bad man Andre was given little choice.

Silence. Everyone who sees this pic and is playing Finnegan as the victim needs to stay SILENT.

My only criticism of Johnson is that he didn't land a cleaner punch.

It's nonsense to fault Andre. When authorities do nothing to stop violators, you do something about it. You make them pay. It's part of being a man, and it's expected. Bending over and accepting crap isn't civility, it's fear, and it encourages the criminals and reprobates of the world.

Now officials will pay more attention to Finnegan and not give him an inch, which they should've done long before any fistfights were sparked.

I just don't understand why yall would like this. It is a HORRIBLE example to set for kids. Telling kids its perfectly ok to knock someone down and take a couple of shots as the way to resolve conflict is a poor message.Plus, this is a team sport. AJ SHOULD be suspended for a game or two. So, he will hurt the team's chances against the Eagles and Ravens. Those were going to be tough games. Without AJ those are essentially L's.

Dude give me a break. What you are saying is a perfect example of being to PC. If "daddy" cant explain to "junior" why he shouldnt do that then "daddy" shouldnt let his kids watch a violent game like football.

This is a grown mans game that is for our entertainment! Not saying it was right or not but I am very glad that our "gentle giant" showed some piss and vinegar out there.

It shows these players still have some fight in them that many of us debated was gone over the past four weeks.

They kicked him out and he will be fined, hopefully it ends at that seeing how his track record is next to perfect.

Come on guys lets not totally berate Awtysst over his comments here. I heavily disagree with what he's saying myself, but he's generally a pretty good poster in here. He doesn't need to be raked over the coals for his beliefs on this particular issue.

I appreciate that.

I have had some time to reflect and I still disagree with Andre's actions.

I think what I am most disappointed in at the moment is the reaction of many of the poster's here.

There are many things which we can agree and disagree about. However, there is no reason to resort to personal attacks. If you disagree with my comments, feel free to do so. What keeps this particular community strong is the ability to civilly air out disagreements. In a good discussion, back and forth viewpoints are always appreciated.

Resorting to name calling cheapens your argument and takes away from the power of your argument. I am disappointed more people chose to use the former when addressing my commentary.

Lets do a quick check on the fight stats here.

AJ 6'3" 225 - Finnegan 5'10" 188

Lets also look at the fight action, the much larger man throws his opponent onto the ground.

The larger man then starts to throw punches on an unsuspecting opponent, because that doesn't happen in the NFL.

The much larger man lands two clean punches on the much smaller opponent.

The much smaller opponent gets up laughing showing absolutely no damage from the larger man's undefended and unexpected punches.

Does that sound right?

Ok, give props to AJ if you must for not taking Finnegan's crap anymore, but lets not pretend that this was any sort of fair fight or a beating on Finnegan.

Finnegan was laughing because he got that reaction out of AJ. Players like him, act like they do to take the opponent out of their normal mindset. AJ throwing punches was a huge victory in Finnegan's mind games.

I believe that if Finnegan wasn't such a tool, with a terrible reputation he probably would not of been ejected.

:goodpost:

:kubepalm:

Something else that should be considered when doling out punishment: their behaviour after the incident. Andre walks off the field quietly, and the other asshole keeps flapping his mouth at everyone, trying to incite the crowd, and pretty much acting like a dick all the way into the locker room. That right there shows you the difference between these two people.

Lets also look at the fight action, the much larger man throws his opponent onto the ground.

The larger man then starts to throw punches on an unsuspecting opponent, because that doesn't happen in the NFL.

The much smaller opponent gets up laughing showing absolutely no damage from the larger man's undefended and unexpected punches.

Does that sound right?

Ok, give props to AJ if you must for not taking Finnegan's crap anymore, but lets not pretend that this was any sort of fair fight or a beating on Finnegan.

Finnegan was laughing because he got that reaction out of AJ. Players like him, act like they do to take the opponent out of their normal mindset. AJ throwing punches was a huge victory in Finnegan's mind games.

I believe that if Finnegan wasn't such a tool, with a terrible reputation he probably would not of been ejected.

06085.jpg

Reminds me of this. Finnepunk runs his mouth off to everyone, hiding behind the fact if they touch him they'll be fined, and finally someone does something about it, and ends up getting bad rep for doing what everyone wanted doing. AJ is our Lennie.

Dre did what every other receiver in the NFL probably wants to do to Finn. We will probably lose him for a game but damn it that was a loooong time coming and worth it IMO.

Casserly said the league will talk about it tomorrow. He said this was AJ's first time getting fined (he believed) and Finnegan has been fined 4 times already.

AJ was also fined for last year's skirmish with Finnegan when we beat the Tacks on the road I think.

Silence. Everyone who sees this pic and is playing Finnegan as the victim needs to stay SILENT.

That is football, happens plenty of times every week. Throwing punches not so much.

I'm not saying Finnegan is a victim, I'm arguing he got what he wanted out of the situation and that AJ didn't hurt him with the punches.

Something else that should be considered when doling out punishment: their behaviour after the incident. Andre walks off the field quietly, and the other asshole keeps flapping his mouth at everyone, trying to incite the crowd, and pretty much acting like a dick all the way into the locker room. That right there shows you the difference between these two people.

Hopefully the NFL looks at the play and realizes that Finnegan went after Andre's facemask at the beginning of the play, and ripped/threw his helmet off to get Andre pissed enough to throw punches. Another thing that should be noted; Andre & Finnegan went at it pretty good in Tennessee last year.

Should AJ have thrown punches? Even AJ said he was sorry that it happened and it shouldn't have happened.. People lose their cool and all one can ask is that they hold their composure the next time

Glad AJ has said sorry, everyone has a breaking point I guess.

Wow kiwi. Unsuspecting? Your story begins with Andre throwing him to the ground. Lets look at the first contact on this play (to say nothing of the play before)

So your saying Finnegan expected to get punched in an NFL game, and could see the punches coming through the back of his head.

Eyes in the back of his head, no wonder Finnegan is a good CB. Maybe he can teach that trick to our CBs.

I read about half this thread, and see alot of posters bashing each other. Look, no matter how emotional the topic, take a step back.

Bottom Line: Regardless of how anyone feels about it, Aj WILL get suspended and now we won't we see him in prime time, maybe two games in a row. In the end, the team is hurt by this.

That is football, happens plenty of times every week. Throwing punches not so much.

I'm not saying Finnegan is a victim, I'm arguing he got what he wanted out of the situation and that AJ didn't hurt him with the punches.

And I'm arguing that he's a moron and that it doesn't matter what he thinks or gets out of it, he got an ass-beating that he deserves.

There are other reasons people get their asses beat besides getting their ass beat to get taught a lesson.

Sometimes, it just happens. If he's causing the fight by being a dirty prick, chances are he's going to think the same way whether he gets his ass beat or not.

Bottom Line: Regardless of how anyone feels about it, Aj WILL get suspended and now we won't we see him in prime time, maybe two games in a row. In the end, the team is hurt by this.

Source?

If you're just guessing then you should probably put that you are just guessing since you state things so matter-of-factly.

Does that sound right?

Finnegan, is that you? You got your a$$ beat down bro, BEAT down!

So your saying Finnegan expected to get punched in an NFL game, and could see the punches coming through the back of his head.

Eyes in the back of his head, no wonder Finnegan is a good CB. Maybe he can teach that trick to our CBs.

You think he's a good CB. *stares* mmmk.

Yes, actually, I am sure he knew those punches were coming in an NFL game. He did everything he could to bring them on not just that play, but the whole game. Yes, he expected and even wanted this to happen. That's Courtland. That's his game. Good CB, out of respect for you kiwi, I'll just say I disagree.

amen brother!

Finn got what he deserved. The league should of done something about him a long time ago. The irony of Fisher being on the competition commitiee, and having the dirtiest, cheapest player on his team dosen't escape me. I loved the hit, I loved it, loved it, loved it. No one deserved it more, and im glad he got it from the most elite reciever in the league.
Everyone always says we don't show toughness, we don't show emotion, we let other teams pound on us and always take it.
Well eat it!

That's the whole thing I wonder if the Finnegan defenders understand. If Andre just went off for no reason I don't think he'd have much support here for his actions.

It looks like a Texans fan has edited the Wikipedia entry on Cortland Finnegan:

On November 28, 2010, Finnegan incited a fist fight with Texans WR Andre Johnson and lost. The repercussions of the fight are currently pending.

I appreciate that.

I have had some time to reflect and I still disagree with Andre's actions.

I think what I am most disappointed in at the moment is the reaction of many of the poster's here.

There are many things which we can agree and disagree about. However, there is no reason to resort to personal attacks. If you disagree with my comments, feel free to do so. What keeps this particular community strong is the ability to civilly air out disagreements. In a good discussion, back and forth viewpoints are always appreciated.

Resorting to name calling cheapens your argument and takes away from the power of your argument. I am disappointed more people chose to use the former when addressing my commentary.

Well, then add me to your list of posters you are disappointed in. I am a mother to two boys and I (and their Dad) taught them to stick up for themselves and their friends and not let bullies get away with their crap.

I applaud what AJ did today - good for him standing up to that punk ass! It is the only thing bullies understand - you can't reason with them.

And bullies can be girls, too. My oldest came home with bite marks on his arm and it was a girl doing it to him. He was 6' 2" as a freshman in high school so he couldn't even grab her arm w/o getting suspended. I told him to take his size 14 steel-toed Doc Martin boots and step on her toes and while she was pinned to bend down and get in her face and talk some sh*t to her. I promised him he wouldn't get suspended for being "clumsy". The bite marks ceased.

Oh please. I would hope 99.9% of men would be able to not resort to fisticuffs. Shoving is fine, but AJ crossed the line. He ripped off CF's helmet and hit him with closed fists. There is no reason for that despicable behavior on the football field or in life.

AJ is a person many children look up to. AJ told them that the way to deal with adversity is with your hands and not your brain.

This post makes you appear to be a colossal vagina. I would hope that 99.9% of men would have a point at which enough becomes enough and a response must be forthcoming. Children who look up to AJ also can and do reach a point where they have to defend themselves and AJ just taught them that when you get to that point you try and knock the sucker into last month.

That's just me though. I saw Finnegan jab at Andres eyes twice and that was enough for me. I don't think that defending yourself is despicable behavior.

Cortland Finnegan is known across the NFL as a dirty player. He got what he deserved. I'd like to see it happen to him again next week and the week after that. If all the people who put up with his **** go off on him then eventually the message is going to get through that the problem isn't AJ or anyone else, it's Cortland.

Cortland got what was coming to him. The push to the mask will play against him when they dole out the punishment as well his history of dirty play and fines.

I suspect Andre will get large fine and Finnegan will get a 2 game suspension and a talk with the commish.

I'd be honored to have my children look up to a man like Andre who is soft-spoken and composed for 7 years until he finally blew up. It's good for a cihld to learn that sometimes, you DO have to stand up for yourself.

Children who look up to Andre would also know that he doesn't act like that ever.

I'd be honored to have my children look up to a man like Andre who is soft-spoken and composed for 7 years until he finally blew up. It's good for a cihld to learn that sometimes, you DO have to stand up for yourself.

Children who look up to Andre would also know that he doesn't act like that ever.

I'll tell you what I've always known, and Courtland should know this. Stay away from the quiet ones. They'll eff you up. :fans:

I read about half this thread, and see alot of posters bashing each other. Look, no matter how emotional the topic, take a step back.

We'll see.

Roger is very.......unpredictable with his suspensions. I'm hoping they let Andre go for not being a repeat offender and also it WAS retaliation. Andre also realizes and is apologetic after the incident, every little bit helps with Goodell.

I don't think it is guaranteed that he will be suspended though, and if he's suspended it can't be two games. That's just silly IMO especially when Finny instigated the whole thing.

It will hurt though, The Eagles have shown that they can get beat deep in the air so Andre would be a big omission if they do suspend him.

This post makes you appear to be a colossal vagina. I would hope that 99.9% of men would have a point at which enough becomes enough and a response must be forthcoming. Children who look up to AJ also can and do reach a point where they have to defend themselves and AJ just taught them that when you get to that point you try and knock the sucker into last month.

That's just me though. I saw Finnegan jab at Andres eyes twice and that was enough for me. I don't think that defending yourself is despicable behavior.

Cortland Finnegan is known across the NFL as a dirty player. He got what he deserved. I'd like to see it happen to him again next week and the week after that. If all the people who put up with his **** go off on him then eventually the message is going to get through that the problem isn't AJ or anyone else, it's Cortland.
Careful. My eight year old called aytwsst a girl and the post got deleted.

Source?

If you're just guessing then you should probably put that you are just guessing since you state things so matter-of-factly.

No source, just wait and see. I hate it, I want CF beat sensless but I don't want to lose AJ. It's gonna happen.

Looks like Mr McNair sides with most of us:

The two got into a milder shoving match on the previous play, with Johnson giving Finnegan a shot in the back before Finnegan took off his helmet and walked away.

Finnegan then set off the brawl by jabbing at Johnson’s neck and face mask at the line of scrimmage. Johnson ripped off Finnegan’s helmet and landed at least two punches to Finnegan’s head and neck. The two spun each other, and Finnegan tore off Johnson’s helmet before players and referees intervened.

“I awarded it to Andre on points,” Texans owner Bob McNair joked.

This was Round 2 between Johnson and Finnegan. Last season, Johnson was fined $7,500 for taking Finnegan to the ground by the face mask during a scuffle after a play in a 34-31 Texans win.

Johnson said this week: “That’s the past, I’m over that. That’s way behind me, I don’t think about that.” But Finnegan got under his skin again, and Johnson was apologetic after the game.

“I wish that I could take back what happened, but I can’t,” Johnson said. “I’m pretty sure I’ll be disciplined for it.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7314698.html

Let me see. To the best of my knowledge one of the combatants has publicly apologized and one has not. I wonder which one I want my kid to side with?

Let me see. To the best of my knowledge one of the combatants has publicly apologized and one has not. I wonder which one I want my kid to side with?

Andre is going to be sick at his stomach over this, not because a punk got beat but because it could hurt his team, that will be the message he conveys to the public. Make no mistake, CF is freaking dirty and deserved what he got and a lot more. AJ is so much of a team player that he'll be sick over it. He reached his breaking point, it happens to all of us, just too bad it wasn't a scrimmage or something like that and not caught on tape.

Somebody needs to find the number of Tonya Harding's boyfriend and send him a picture of the fake irishman.

Andre is going to be sick at his stomach over this, not because a punk got beat but because it could hurt his team, that will be the message he conveys to the public. Make no mistake, CF is freaking dirty and deserved what he got and a lot more. AJ is so much of a team player that he'll be sick over it. He reached his breaking point, it happens to all of us, just too bad it wasn't a scrimmage or something like that and not caught on tape.

Getting caught on tape was the best part. Now I can watch it anytime I want.

I just don't understand why yall would like this. It is a HORRIBLE example to set for kids. Telling kids its perfectly ok to knock someone down and take a couple of shots as the way to resolve conflict is a poor message.

Plus, this is a team sport. AJ SHOULD be suspended for a game or two. So, he will hurt the team's chances against the Eagles and Ravens. Those were going to be tough games. Without AJ those are essentially L's.

Have to disagree here...standing up for yourself, after dealing with abuse all day, isn't any kind of bad example. I don't think a "Gee Cortland, I'd appreciate it if you didn't slam my head back when you give me a shot to the facemask at the snap" is gonna get the message across in a violent sport.

So, Finnegan expected Andre to walk gingerly away after ripping his helmet off? Finnegan must have a room temperature IQ if he thought that AJ was "letting it go" at that point.

AJ getting suspended is NOT a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. Large fine is a certainty, but this was a continuation of the same play where he took a shot to the head at the line of scrimmage.

I would hope that Goodell uses common sense and not let the actual fight itself cloud his judgement. He needs to watch the tape of the WHOLE game up to the incident and the aftermath then make a decision. Just basing a decision on who threw the most vicious punch is the politically correct way to look at it. As stated before, the league itself bears some responsibility here. They let Lucky Charms get away with it far too long.

Back