Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Draft satisfaction

What did you think of the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Here ya go - a thread to find the temperature of fan satisfaction post draft.
There is a lot of buzz about this draft and personally, it is one of the best drafts I have seen of any team for a long time and definitely our most exciting.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I did too.
I was okay with the cost of doing business.
I'm holding off of Fantastic until I see how they look on the field.
It was an excellent haul of players, that's for sure. The Texans are a vastly improved team on paper now. I do very much like the direction the Texans are headed in.

Hopefully they can stay on track for once.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't know how to vote. I have very mixed feelings about this draft. I have mixed feelings about the big trade. When I first heard someone float the idea of trading up with the Cards I was immediately opposed to that idea. I liked their draft position as it stood. I like Tank, I like where they got him. I like Juice, I don't think they needed to trade up for him, but I'm okay with it. I'm meh on Horton, To'oto'o, Patterson, Hutchison, and Hill. Which is not unusual as they are later round picks.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Honestly, I don't feel much different about this draft than I did last years draft.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don't know how to vote. I have very mixed feelings about this draft. I have mixed feelings about the big trade. When I first heard someone float the idea of trading up with the Cards I was immediately opposed to that idea. I liked their draft position as it stood. I like Tank, I like where they got him. I like Juice, I don't think they needed to trade up for him, but I'm okay with it. I'm meh on Horton, To'oto'o, Patterson, Hutchison, and Hill. Which is not unusual as they are later round picks.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Honestly, I don't feel much different about this draft than I did last years draft.
It all depends on Stroud and we won't find out until at least half way through his sophomore season but in the meantime, to get two of the three top prospects in this draft means a lot to not just the team, but the fanbase too.
It's obvious that a new sheriff is in town and that bodes well for Houston football.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I voted impressed. The cost was too high for me to vote fantastic.
I voted good. The cost was too high for me to vote impressed. I felt like Nick and DeMeco seemed to work together well and had a coherent plan. Agree or disagree with their choices they appeared to know exactly what they wanted and went for it. Can't take exception to that.

I also feel like there should be something between "good" and "impressed" or maybe it's just that this draft could have them looking like geniuses or scapegoats depending on how a few of these moves turn out. Most of my questions are around the #2 pick. Nobody is questioning Stroud's determination or natural ability but if he struggles and Levis doesn't that's going to haunt this draft. Will Anderson I have a lot less trepidation about but again if he doesn't live up to his pre-draft hype it's going to make the cost look worse than it was for a team that had a lot of needs. Could have taken Anderson at 2 and grabbed Levis at 12. I'm not as much about playing the hindsight game right now as I am saying that if either of those players fall short of expectations or Levis exceeds them it's going to be a bigtime second guessing storm around here.

Like banned1976 said it's hard to know how to vote. Too soon and could go either way. Hope for the best though. First time in a long time we could really do that around here.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
A pretty good draft. Early winners from the draft have Philly at the top of the list with Houston being second.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At this point, I'm impressed.

I'm reminded of the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Capital is just an asset to be utilized to achieve a goal. So I'm not going to get worked up about about future potential when they bring in a desperately needed talent like Anderson.

And they finally used a high pick on a QB with a good ceiling. I'm stoked for this season.

In DeMeco I trust. :texflag:

banned1976

sleeper mode
At this point, I'm impressed.

I'm reminded of the old saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Capital is just an asset to be utilized to achieve a goal. So I'm not going to get worked up about about future potential when they bring in a desperately needed talent like Anderson.

And they finally used a high pick on a QB with a good ceiling. I'm stoked for this season.

In DeMeco I trust. :texflag:
I was going to correct you with "one other time they drafted a quarterback high" but you smartly included the bolded. Another difference, this guy has a decent o-line to work with.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
On the face of it, I voted fantastic. I like this draft a lot, but the proof is in the pudding. The only WTF moment for me was the Texans moving back up for Anderson at 1.3. The "old" Texans didn't operate that way.
I'll reassess this draft in 3 years and see what I think.
This new regime has me buying Sunday Ticket for the first time in several years.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Color me -fantastically- impressed. No matter what happens with our picks performance-wise… watching Caserio transform a dying dumpster pile of burning ash into a legible playoff team over the past couple seasons has me beaming. People now -want- to come to Houston.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Biggest critique (unless you’re just a Stroud hater) was cost of moving up to #3.

First off, Will Anderson, was widely considered, the #1 overall prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft class.

That alone is an inherent premium, hence next years #1 & #3 Texan selections.
My own personal grades, worthy of first round grades really tapered off around pick #12. Just flash back last year to see 2022 Draft class taper off before the 13th pick. Generally in that top 15 area. Point being, they could have swung & missed there if not for trading up.

Pick #33, the 32nd selection, was a great value spot, mocked moving up one spot for Bryce Young.

Those two draft slots along with 1&3 next year, netted Texans drafts top defensive player. I’m ok with it.

I’m not going to rehash the other selections, they’re all good solid players who fill needs, instead let’s look ahead to next years draft and see what picks Texans have left (as of now) to further determine impact moving forward.
Houston Texans draft picks 2024
    • 1st round pick (via CLE)
      • HOU traded its first-round pick to ARZ
    • 2nd round pick
    • 3rd round pick (via PHI)
    • 4th round pick
    • 4th round pick (via CLE)
    • 5th round pick
    • 6th round pick (via DAL)
    • 7th round pick
    • 7th round pick (via KC)
    • 7th round pick (via NO)
One thing to keep in mind. Better Texans do & worse Cleveland does, better it will be for Texans. DeMeco is convincing, and betting on himself & staff to produce better than expected results. This will be key, in determining just how good that move up to acquire Will Anderson Jr. (WAJ) Will definitely have direct impact in this outcome.

LikeMike

Veteran
I think the Texans just became a lot more watchable. The past seasons were boring - not because we were bad but because we also didn‘t have a lot of exciting players. Pierce and Pitre maybe, but really nothing you looked out for every play. Now we have that in Stroud and in Anderson. We also got a lot more entertaining with Metchie and Tank at WR and the return game.

I could see us going 8-8. We should have a pretty good O-Line, a great HB, on offense (and a mystery box at QB and WR), and should have a good d-line and some pieces in the secondary on defense. I could also see us going 2-14 - if Stroud sucks and we get some injurys on D.

So overall, I really like the draft. But I wouldn‘t have done the trade at that cost. But no use to lament over this any more, I will just enjoy watching an exciting team full of promising rookies again. Let‘s go get that offensive and that defensive rookie of the year now!

Max

Veteran
I remember quite well being excited about draft picks in years past only to wonder if their talent was being squandered by BOB's numbskullery. The biggest thing is going to be what the coaches do with this talent because the talent is there from this crop. I think there's reason for optimism on that front but time will tell.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It appears they went into it with the intention of making some noise and they did. They went and got not one, but 2 players that could help change the direction of the franchise. Now whether they do or not, I don't know, but I'm very happy seeing them finally trying to get this Titanic off the ocean floor.

The price doesn't bother me, and it won't bother anyone else if it works out.

It's not an option but put me down for very impressed.

mws

Rookie
Color me impressed. It might have cost us but IMO we walked away a much better team than we were before the draft. Of course we have to wait & see the product on the field but at this point in the upcoming season I'm feeling better than I have in many a year.

One thing I have to say is it's hard for me to separate the draft from the hiring of Ryans & the free agent moves the Texans made. My feeling of optimism is probably a combination of everything. This may be the best off-season in franchise history.

Last edited:

edo783

Hall of Fame
I'm impressed. They had the willingness to go for it and in my opinion, it worked. If Anderson was in next years draft there is no doubt we would spend a three and a one to get him, so we just bought his services a year early is all. We have also picked up several of the second and third tier folks that look like they have the right stuff to help the team. So, overall an excellent job with the draft.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I'm impressed. They had the willingness to go for it and in my opinion, it worked. If Anderson was in next years draft there is no doubt we would spend a three and a one to get him, so we just bought his services a year early is all. We have also picked up several of the second and third tier folks that look like they have the right stuff to help the team. So, overall an excellent job with the draft.
to get that year early, they paid with #12 & #33.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It all depends on Stroud and we won't find out until at least half way through his sophomore season but in the meantime, to get two of the three top prospects in this draft means a lot to not just the team, but the fanbase too.
It's obvious that a new sheriff is in town and that bodes well for Houston football.
I voted Good, because with Stroud that's exactly what this team will be. Best case scenario. I do like the fact that Ryans/Caserio made bold moves to get their guys.

I liked the rest of the draft, although I would've drafted differently. Example: I would've drafted Washington in the 3rd rd. I do like the fact that they picked up more picks in the better 2024 draft.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
An above avg draft.

Although not what I would have done.
I thought they missed a couple of opportunities but they would have seen that too with all those experts in attendance in that warroom.
They drafted 7 captains among those picks so they won't be short on skillsets, leadership or effort.
There were some Texas guys among them so FO obviously put a lot of thought into this one.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
How hard it must be to stick to your board than react as your cluster @ position of need, comes off the board? This is the process whereby, a team reaches for a player.

Really post this with trepidation, knowing it can be interpreted or misinterpreted however one feels.

Fact Texans used two draft slots on Center position, magnifies its importance to addressing need.

Athletic just posted, based off Dane Bruglers final top 300 prospects. Juice Scruggs was rated as the biggest reach (based off draft grade minus slot selected) -123 picks higher than expected.

186. Juice Scruggs, C, Penn State (6-3, 301)
As a pass blocker, Scruggs plays with a low center to root his feet, slow down power rushers and continually reset to stay square. He shows functional movements in the run game but will find it tough to match the quickness of NFL defensive linemen. Overall, Scruggs needs to overcome his average recovery skills, especially in the run game, but he has the necessary build, strength and football IQ to be a swing interior backup capable of fighting for starting reps.

This would be my response. Team fit/need high priority. High character. 5 years Development in Penn State Football program, with both starting Guard & Center experience. Good balance, feet, anchors well and moves is space. Ideal proportions for Center position 6-3 301-310 long arms 33 1/4” big hands 10 1/4”.
Shows continuous progression/growth, which translates into ascending category (Brugler is human, as good as he is would be first to admit he makes mistakes). temperament composed/analytical, but flashes competitive mauler mentality when dictated.

Overall a third round grade. Respectfully, a much higher graded Center prospect than those in 6th round Wypler #190 (smaller framed lighter ZBS) or Texan other 6th rd selection out of Notre Dame Jarrett Patterson #201. Very good developmental back-up, I don’t hate player or concept fortifying interior OL after spending big on a young franchise QB.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
How hard it must be to stick to your board than react as your cluster @ position of need, comes off the board? This is the process whereby, a team reaches for a player.

Really post this with trepidation, knowing it can be interpreted or misinterpreted however one feels.

Fact Texans used two draft slots on Center position, magnifies its importance to addressing need.

Athletic just posted, based off Dane Bruglers final top 300 prospects. Juice Scruggs was rated as the biggest reach (based off draft grade minus slot selected) -123 picks higher than expected.

186. Juice Scruggs, C, Penn State (6-3, 301)
As a pass blocker, Scruggs plays with a low center to root his feet, slow down power rushers and continually reset to stay square. He shows functional movements in the run game but will find it tough to match the quickness of NFL defensive linemen. Overall, Scruggs needs to overcome his average recovery skills, especially in the run game, but he has the necessary build, strength and football IQ to be a swing interior backup capable of fighting for starting reps.

This would be my response. Team fit/need high priority. High character. 5 years Development in Penn State Football program, with both starting Guard & Center experience. Good balance, feet, anchors well and moves is space. Ideal proportions for Center position 6-3 301-310 long arms 33 1/4” big hands 10 1/4”.
Shows continuous progression/growth, which translates into ascending category (Brugler is human, as good as he is would be first to admit he makes mistakes). temperament composed/analytical, but flashes competitive mauler mentality when dictated.

Overall a third round grade. Respectfully, a much higher graded Center prospect than those in 6th round Wypler #190 (smaller framed lighter ZBS) or Texan other 6th rd selection out of Notre Dame Jarrett Patterson #201. Very good developmental back-up, I don’t hate player or concept fortifying interior OL after spending big on a young franchise QB.

This, combined with draft nerds giving teams “grades” a day after the draft and before any of these guys have set foot on an NFL field is why i don’t care about the draft. Noone talks about a player being a reach if he turns out to be a player. This is something only draftniks talk about. I mean is it REALLY a bad thing if a team moves up to get a guy THEY feel can be a player for them?

Every team misses on guys. So using hindsight to say “oh, you coulda had this player” is nonsensical.

Last edited:

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
This, combined with draft nerds giving teams “grades” a day after the draft and before any of these guys have set foot on an NFL field is why i don’t care about the draft. Noone talks about a player being a reach if he turns put to be a player. This is something only draftniks talk about. I mean is it REALLY a bad thing if a team moves up to get a guy THEY feel can be a player for them?

Every team misses on guys. So using hindsight to say “oh, you coulda had this player” is nonsensical.
Mike Mayock, one of the most respected draft gurus of all time got to play the game for real... and became one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
M
Mike Mayock, one of the most respected draft gurus of all time got to play the game for real... and became one of the worst GMs in NFL history.
Mike Mayock falls in love with “his” players, subsequently becomes biased/opinionated, in relation to reality, depth & quality of prospects, hence looks like a fool in the wash. That doesn’t mean he can’t break down tape. Better scout than GM.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This, combined with draft nerds giving teams “grades” a day after the draft and before any of these guys have set foot on an NFL field is why i don’t care about the draft. Noone talks about a player being a reach if he turns put to be a player. This is something only draftniks talk about. I mean is it REALLY a bad thing if a team moves up to get a guy THEY feel can be a player for them?

Fact is the team’s have their own board. And this draft was higher variance than most regarding player value on individual team boards. Caserio said in his post draft presser that he felt strongly other teams had the players they traded up for going in the range they did.

JMS went a few picks before Scruggs. After Scruggs taken, Stromberg next center at end of round 3. So team could have had Scruggs in that tier of players with Tippman, Mauch and JMS.

Dell goes in cluster of picks with Rice/Mims before and Hyatt/Tillman after.

To’o To’o goes and LB Pappoe goes next pick.

Hutchinson goes and WR Iosivas goes next pick.

The Texans maneuvered when they felt they had to in order to get a guy they targeted. Caserio is not going to stay pat and “settle”.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
First two were as good as I've seen. Several of the rest left me scratching my head.
After the first round, we seemed to reach for players at a position of need, even though a higher rated player at the same position was available. I understand that the Texans scouting department has their own grades on players, based on numerous factors. But you would think they would be somewhat in line with the average of 8 scouting services.

Case in point: We drafted a player with an average (8 scouting services) overall rank of 155, position rank of 32. When there was player still available at the same position with an average overall rank of 57, position rank of 13. There is obviously a huge disconnect between 8 professional scouting services and the Texans scouts. That's why it's called a SWAG - Scouting Wild Ass Guess.

Last edited:

chenjy9

Rookie
After the first round, we seemed to reach for players at a position of need, even though a higher rated player at the same position was available. I understand that the Texans scouting department has their own grades on players, based on numerous factors. But you would think they would be somewhat in line with the average of 8 scouting services.

Case in point: We drafted a player with an average (8 scouting services) overall rank of 155, position rank of 32. When there was player still available at the same position with an average overall rank of 57, position rank of 13. There is obviously a huge disconnect between 8 professional scouting services and the Texans scouts. That's why it's called a SWAG - Scouting Wild Ass Guess.
I couldn't give two hoots personally about what other folks showed on their boards or mock drafts, only the Texans'. If they saw have a player they liked and thought might be taken, as a fan I expect them to go out strong and get them. The argument that another player was available or would be available without trading up is absolutely asinine to me; similar / comparable player is not remotely the same as "their guy". At the end of the day, we had what... 12 picks going into this draft? Bringing in 12 rookies into camp would have been nuts, and not the good kind of nuts either.

mws

Rookie
To me it is easy to have opinions when you face no consequences for being wrong. When your livelihood is tied to your choices everything ratchets up.

IMO people that have millions of dollars in future earnings tied to the choices they make are going to exhaust every resource they have & make what they consider the best choices they can.

No matter how much information we have or how strong our opinions are we are not putting our future on the line when we make our picks.

Real life is always different from what people on the outside think it is. Like the poster above pointed out Mike Mayock has made a living second guessing people for years but when the rubber met the road he was a complete failure.

Having said all that it does not mean that Caserio or Ryans were not wrong & are the wrong people for the job. But if they are they will eventually pay the price & be just one more failure in a profession that probably has 10 failures for every success.

I for one will at least give them the courtesy of seeing how their picks actually perform in games before I condemn them as failures.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Regarding the draft and another reason i roll my eyes when it comes to the over analysis and criticism/praise of teams around draft picks…….Howie Roseman & Philly supposedly “won” the draft for what they did a few years earlier in 2019 when they made the move up just ahead of us to take Andre Dillard and we supposedly “reached” for Tytus Howard. It didn’t even take a year for that move to prove a horrible one when Dillard was benched while Howard solidified his place as a decent starting caliber o-linemen.

There’s just too many variables for folks to be thoroughly convinced of a prospect’s success or failure b/c of their “rating” from 869643 different scouts and teams.