Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Doing A Line" article at houstonprofootball.com

Well, he certainly presents what is the minority view at this time. Maybe that'll change if the Texans still can't run a 7 or even 5 step drop pass play with any consistency next year.

Then again, maybe the Texans will prove a successful team needs four blue chip lineman on the dline and can cobble together an o-line out of a couple of high end players and spare parts because it's the Denver way.

Next season will be very interesting. I predict an offense weighted toward the run lke the end of last year, with a somewhat more successful passing game due to the QB change. I don't think they'll have a complete deep passing game due to lingering line problems.

I think the defense will be much improved and be the backbone of the team.

Man, that's brutal. Potentially, what he said could be true. Obviously I hope not, but with our d-line last year, we didn't put much consistent pressure on the QB. Will Okoye make all the difference?

I think a healthy Mario will be a difference, too. Man do I hope he's got an inner fire that's burning with desire to prove himself in the face of negativity and doubt. We've got some solid defenders, especially with DeMeco as the centerpiece. So you could just as easily argue the opposite of what this article is saying, because it's all based on unknowns.

Many of the most successful teams seem to be weighted to being strong on one side of the ball and great on other. I don't think there is one answer, and I don't know how easily that can be controlled given the unpredicatbility of players translating from college to the NFL. At some point the strong side becomes stronger from its own momentum - good players become better when surrounded by success.

At this point it appears the Texans may be giving their defense more of a chance to be the stronger side. It seems odd from an offensive minded head coach. Maybe they evaluated everything and decided they could build a strong defense more quickly as they tore down and rebuilt the offense. That way they get quicker improvement while building for the long term.

Just a theory.

I guess he can't see the contradiction he is presenting.
He says you don't want to blitz Peyton because of his quick release, and you just don't want to blitz VY, period...
I don't know what that has to do with drafting a DT, or having a dominant line, but I can tell you the only way to get to a quarterback without blitzing is to have a good pass rushing DL...
Unless he is saying we shouldn't want to get to the QB at all????

Many of the most successful teams seem to be weighted to being strong on one side of the ball and great on other. I don't think there is one answer, and I don't know how easily that can be controlled given the unpredicatbility of players translating from college to the NFL. At some point the strong side becomes stronger from its own momentum - good players become better when surrounded by success.

At this point it appears the Texans may be giving their defense more of a chance to be the stronger side. It seems odd from an offensive minded head coach. Maybe they evaluated everything and decided they could build a strong defense more quickly as they tore down and rebuilt the offense. That way they get quicker improvement while building for the long term.

Just a theory.

Maybe Kubiak thinks he can do more with less on offense... he might feel that since he is an offensive minded coach, he will need better personnel on the D to achieve the same level of success he can get out of the O through his own skill...

I just think Bob was irritated that his player wasn't taken with the 10th pick, which so happened to be an offensive player, whether it was Adrian Peterson, who was gone already, or Ted Ginn, who was gone already, or Levi Brown, who was gone already.

Who did that leave, offensive player wise, that would NOT have been a huge reach at 10?

It's not a stretch to think that maybe, just maybe, Kubiak and Smith had Akoye rated as the BPA, after the other players had been taken.

But noooooo . . . Bob thinks they are "obsessed" with the defensive line.

I just think Bob was irritated that his player wasn't taken with the 10th pick, which so happened to be an offensive player, whether it was Adrian Peterson, who was gone already, or Ted Ginn, who was gone already, or Levi Brown, who was gone already.

Who did that leave, offensive player wise, that would NOT have been a huge reach at 10?

It's not a stretch to think that maybe, just maybe, Kubiak and Smith had Akoye rated as the BPA, after the other players had been taken.

But noooooo . . . Bob thinks they are "obsessed" with the defensive line.

I believe in that assessment. I think Okoye was there top rated defensive player that was left. I would guess that Landry was at the very top though. It's funny that Atlanta is praised for taking Anderson at 8...

Texans OL draft .

Pitts 2nd rd
Weary 3rd rd
Wand 3rd rd
Hodgon 5th rd
Spencer 3rd rd
Winston 3rd rd
Brown sup

Free Agents

Mckinney
Wade
Salaam
Black
Weigert
Flannigan

I don't know who else off the top of my head but you figure 5 of these guys could play .

It seems odd from an offensive minded head coach.

See, I think just the opposite. I like a HC who says I know one side best so I will put more talent on the other side and do my coaching magic where I am an expert. Look at what Jimmy Johnson did or at how Dungy consistently makes do with less money and stars on the D. Capers violated the pooch by doing the opposite and over controlling the O and ignoring Fangio not running the D the way he would have.

I guess he can't see the contradiction he is presenting.
He says you don't want to blitz Peyton because of his quick release, and you just don't want to blitz VY, period...
I don't know what that has to do with drafting a DT, or having a dominant line, but I can tell you the only way to get to a quarterback without blitzing is to have a good pass rushing DL...
Unless he is saying we shouldn't want to get to the QB at all????

Exactly.

This is what I wrote on the thread:

Yeah, the Texans have taken Dline in the first round the last four years. And yeah, they have a lot of salary cap money allocated that way.

However, Babin/TJ should almost not count because a. they were chosen for a 3-4, b. Casserly admitted at the time that he had difficulties drafting for the 3-4.

The Texans started street free agents as DT for most of the season. I remember the game where I saw two TJ's on the field for the first time and going who the @#$% is Thomas Johnson??? (a practice squader from Dallas, IIRC).

People commended Rick Smith for being able to find all these street free agents to play defensive tackle, but there's not much of a surprise that the Texans didn't have much of a pass rush if you play street free agents for your tackles for most of the season.

Okoye is a good pick for BPA.

Okoye is a good pick for need.

BTW, IIRC, during the 2004 season, the Houston Texans had the most expensive offensive line in the league. Didn't help.

You can't draft or sign what isn't there. 2007 was not a deep offensive linemen draft, but was a deep defensive linemen draft. As it relates to the offensive line this offseason, I can't think of a move that they should have made on the offensive line that they didn't.

See, I think just the opposite. I like a HC who says I know one side best so I will put more talent on the other side and do my coaching magic where I am an expert. Look at what Jimmy Johnson did or at how Dungy consistently makes do with less money and stars on the D. Capers violated the pooch by doing the opposite and over controlling the O and ignoring Fangio not running the D the way he would have.

Amen brother.

And this is typical Denver thinking. Take defense high in the draft unless their is an offense player that you really think you can work with, and then take system offense players lower.

Kubiak obviously has a lot of confidence that he can do what he wants to do on the offensive side of the ball, but figures he needs to get the defense all the help they can get.

In my point of view your defense linemen are better athletes than the OL ... why because they have to read and react . So aside from OLTs they get picked higher than most OL .

The OL knows the play so they have to execute . The LTs get picked high because they have to be athletic enough to handle an edge rusher on most QBs blind side .

The best OL in my opinion in recent history was the 90's Cowboys ( ouch ... that hurts ) . Anyone know how they were built .

Mark Tuinie (sp ) drafted as a DT moved to OT .
Nate Newton ... drafted by the Redskins , cut by the Redskins , USFL , Cowboys as a FA .
Mark Stepnoski ... drafted 3rd round .
Larry Allen ... drafted 2nd round .
Erik Williams ... drafted third round

Anyone see a 1st round pick here . I'll bet if you looked up the DL you'll find Jimmy Johnson had some 1st round picks on it .

I looked it up ... in the 90's the Cowboys drafted 6 defensive linemen in the 1st round while drafting 0 offensive linemen

In my point of view your defense linemen are better athletes than the OL ... why because they have to read and react . So aside from OLTs they get picked higher than most OL .

The OL knows the play so they have to execute . The LTs get picked high because they have to be athletic enough to handle an edge rusher on most QBs blind side .

The best OL in my opinion in recent history was the 90's Cowboys ( ouch ... that hurts ) . Anyone know how they were built .

Nate Newton ... drafted by the Redskins , cut by the Redskins , USFL , Cowboys as a FA .

Anyone see a 1st round pick here . I'll bet if you looked up the DL you'll find Jimmy Johnson had some 1st round picks on it .

I looked it up ... in the 90's the Cowboys drafted 6 defensive linemen in the 1st round while drafting 0 offensive linemen

You mean Dr. Z didn't bash the Cowboys for ignoring the line? :gun:

Great post btw!

You mean Dr. Z didn't bash the Cowboys for ignoring the line? :gun:

Great post btw!

No but Buddy Ryan sure gave him hell . Remember the bounty bowl .

Of course in a couple of years thanks to the Vikings the Cowboys were the most talented team ( ouch again ) in the NFL .

Mark Schlereth, Mel Kiper and a host of others complain that the Texans did not address the O-line, Bob here is doing the same thing they are doing. Complaining to complain. If Levi had dropped to 10 the Texans would have to consider him but he did not. Sure the Texans could have easily taken Revis or Hall but getting actual pressure on a QB would be just as helpful to the secondary if not more so. Of course us fans can not ask these so called experts what line man at 10 would you have taken? If they had taken one then it would have been a reach and more criticism would insue.

St Louis, Pittsburgh and Buffallo all gave up more sacks than Houston and they did not take a OL but that is ok for them to do so. Dallas had a worse pass defense than Houston and there draft is hearlded, yet they did not take any soncondary help. Thats right they said Dallas getting more of a pass rush will help them out tremendously, (But this will not help Houston). If these so called experts would be consistant in what they talk about it would probably give me heart failure.

What ever happen to defense wins championships? Does this only apply to anyone but the team I love, is everything they do wrong? Sorry Houston is not drma central like dallas, but I will take not having drama and improve the team for the long haul versus short fixes that so many want.

:texflag:

Couple things.
First, Scarface was not just "the laughably bad 1983 movie". OK it had some goofey parts and definitely went on too long. But its got some entertaining moments and has become a bit of a cult film in some circles. Back to football.
Whoever pointed out that in spite of all the money we're spending on this DLine we still aren't getting the desired results is on the money. And I wonder if Okoye isn't kinda like using a sledge hammer to put a nail in a 2 by 4 ?
The thing is, we all know that the primary pass rush, the most effective pass rush comes off the edge of the DLine and not from its interior or inside. So I gotta question the wisdom of drafting a DT to be one of the main pass rushers. Distruptive, yea, but if one of your top sack guys is a DT. I dunno about that ? But then I've wondered if Okoye, with his quickness, might be see some time playing DE ?

I think that there was not a top notch CB in the draft ... therefore it would be a reach at 10 .

What would ESPN say if we took Staley or Khalil at #10 ?

I can only assume that there was not a trade offer worth taking so Okoye was the Texans bpa .

We may have wanted Landry , Brown , or Peterson but they were gone .

One shut down corner can do more for a Defense than 4 D-Linemen. Not sure if Revis or Hall were shutdown corners.

Broncos: Horrible D-Linemen, great CB. They had no pass rush, and did pretty well. A guy that can make half the field a non factor trumps a pass rush.

So what if we have a pass rush? Who is going to cover anyone besides D-Rob?

One shut down corner can do more for a Defense than 4 D-Linemen. Not sure if Revis or Hall were shutdown corners.

Broncos: Horrible D-Linemen, great CB. They had no pass rush, and did pretty well. A guy that can make half the field a non factor trumps a pass rush.

So what if we have a pass rush? Who is going to cover anyone besides D-Rob?

OK lets make a list of shutdown corners .... Champ Bailey , Assante Samuel , Nate Clements who else ?

Couple things.
First, Scarface was not just "the laughably bad 1983 movie". OK it had some goofey parts and definitely went on too long. But its got some entertaining moments and has become a bit of a cult film in some circles. Back to football.
Whoever pointed out that in spite of all the money we're spending on this DLine we still aren't getting the desired results is on the money. And I wonder if Okoye isn't kinda like using a sledge hammer to put a nail in a 2 by 4 ?
The thing is, we all know that the primary pass rush, the most effective pass rush comes off the edge of the DLine and not from its interior or inside. So I gotta question the wisdom of drafting a DT to be one of the main pass rushers. Distruptive, yea, but if one of your top sack guys is a DT. I dunno about that ? But then I've wondered if Okoye, with his quickness, might be see some time playing DE ?

If you have a quick disruptive guy pushing the pocket from the inside, and good edge rushers, the QB is unable to step up into the pocket and avoid the edge rush. He may not get a dozen sacks a year, but if he can get to a point in a yr or two where he semi-consistently collapses the pocket, and draws a double team, that will help Mario, the other DE, and guys like Ryans and Robsinson will be able to blitz freely at times. Even if he isn't sacked, maybe the QB can't follow thru on a pass and it gets picked. Maybe he has to throw sooner than he wants. If we judge this guy on sacks and stats alone, than all of us are making a huge mistake. It's how he impacts the defense as a whole, and in that sense, to me this is an A+ pick.

Couple things.

True but if you have no one in the middle that takes any pressure away from the edge rushers your just not going to have a very good pass rush.

Denver has thhe 15th ranked attacking defense in it got 36 sacks for the season and the 21nd ranked pass defense with giving up 212.9 yards a game.

Houston: Tied for 27 with 28 sacks, and 22 with 215.3 yards per game. Plus Houston had to face the Colts twice a year.

Houston gave up 122.3 yards at a 4.4 average per game.

With Mario healthy and Okoye living up to promise it should effect all areas of defense. QB has less time to throw, and when the team s not throwing the ball we had to have more consistant play at DT to stop the run.

Do I still worry about the O-Line, yes but I also know the O-Line improved over the course of last season despite all the injuries. I am just going to have to go by what I saw last year and think the coaches think that there was nothing to be had in this draft.

The big boys on the line on either side of the ball never get the love they deserve. I am sure we will see a solid improvement this year with some of the new guys that we have and Frank Bush throwing his two-sense in.

He forgot to mention the New England Patriots whose defensive line consists of nothing but first round picks.

good point ... the belichick era started with Richard Seymour (6th overall, DE), Ty Warren (13th overall, DE), and Vince Wilfork (21st overall, DT). coincidently, they won the superbowl in those 3 years (01, 03, 04). in 2000 they didnt have a first rounder and in 02 they took daniel graham and missed the playoffs.

definitely. the same can be said for denver where shanahan focuses on acquiring talent on defense because he can make a lot more out of what's there on offense. cutler's the only big prospect the broncos have gotten on offense in probably more than a decade. capers is the best example of what happens when coaches meddle where they're not wanted, and dont acquire enough talent on their weak side. had capers coached the defense and drafted primarily for the offense, we might have actually sniffed a winning season during his time here.

There are merits to both sides of the coin.

The REAL problem with the Texans as I see it, they are really don't have any strengths after 5 seasons.

To some extent, the Texans are victims of circumstance regarding draft selection. How were they supposed to address the offensive tackle issue when picking #10 and the top 2 guys on the board are gone by pick #5 this year? In addition, they didn't have a 2nd round pick this year because of the Schuab deal.

In my opinion, it's not the defensive line that has hurt the Texans so much, it has been the QB position. The Texans gave and hoped so much on Carr and then bailed out to dig a similar hole with Schuab. Hopefully Schuab can deliver considering the talent situation.

Lastly, I am a defensive guy, particuraly a 4-3 guy and with a heavy emphasis on the front four. Having said that, I am getting a little tired of the draft picks on the defensive line.

Until the Texans start winning and winning some big games, this type of analysis is going to be laid out there, and for good reason I might add.

The funny part is that Russell Maryland was guy who was pedestrian in the regular season and then came on strong in the playoffs. He wasn't as much a guy who got sacks as a guy who held the line and disrupted things while the LBs ran wild. In fact Dallas' D was known more for their fast LBs and a D-line that came in waves because they had depth. But besides aquiring Haley, they didn't have a ton of guys consitently on the QB. Haley put them over the top. They had a true "unit" built on speed.

I may get killed for this but I agree in part with this guy. You don't need studs across the line to get it done. You need consistency in the middle while you hopefully get rush from the outsides and your interior guys allow the LBs to move. I don't agree with his O-line assessment however, because, as stated here, lines can be built on 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Overall I don't think he wrote anything that is so out of place where he should get jumped. I don't agree with him on many things but I see his side of the issue.

I'll say this, issues like this crack me up because we have had a horrible team for 5 years. Obviously things haven't been getting done. I'm optimistic in Smith and Kubiak that the trend is moving away from this but people who are negative to our plight aren't exactly idiots, they are pointing out things that COULD be flaws in the system so far. I'm amazed that there are people that so readily just nod the head and agree with all the things we do. I like to look at these issues openly and though the piece is debatable it isn't treason.

Mark Schlereth, Mel Kiper and a host of others complain that the Texans did not address the O-line, Bob here is doing the same thing they are doing. Complaining to complain. If Levi had dropped to 10 the Texans would have to consider him but he did not. Sure the Texans could have easily taken Revis or Hall but getting actual pressure on a QB would be just as helpful to the secondary if not more so. Of course us fans can not ask these so called experts what line man at 10 would you have taken? If they had taken one then it would have been a reach and more criticism would insue.

St Louis, Pittsburgh and Buffallo all gave up more sacks than Houston and they did not take a OL but that is ok for them to do so. Dallas had a worse pass defense than Houston and there draft is hearlded, yet they did not take any soncondary help. Thats right they said Dallas getting more of a pass rush will help them out tremendously, (But this will not help Houston). If these so called experts would be consistant in what they talk about it would probably give me heart failure.

What's even funnier is the clips they show of Carr getting sacked while they diss the Texans draft. At least half of the sack 'highlights' could have been avoided by Carr if he had just gotten rid of the ball or stepped up into the pocket. Nobody on the national scene ever holds DC accountable for even one of his sacks, yet our HC said last off-season that Carr was responsible for about a third of his own sacks. Go figure.

Warren Sapp would disagree with you. Okoye has been compared to Sapp quite a bit, so if the comparisons hold true, he'll be a presence that must be accounted for, which will free up Mario and Weaver to make some plays from the outside.

The REAL problem with the Texans as I see it, they are really don't have any strengths after 5 seasons.

To be honest .... I really liked Willis . I thought that he was a bigger Demeco and with him LB would become the strength of the team .

Since we drafted Okoye ... the DL should be our strength . If the DL is the strength then it makes the LBs and DBs better .

I think a darkhorse is Abatte ... a productive LB in a big conference . He could'nt run all out because of a hammy . Maybe LB will improve yet ( I know where does he play , Ryans is in the middle ) .

To be honest .... I really liked Willis . I thought that he was a bigger Demeco and with him LB would become the strength of the team .

Since we drafted Okoye ... the DL should be our strength . If the DL is the strength then it makes the LBs and DBs better .

I think a darkhorse is Abatte ... a productive LB in a big conference . He could'nt run all out because of a hammy . Maybe LB will improve yet ( I know where does he play , Ryans is in the middle ) .

Abbate would backup Rayns at MLB, and play a lot on ST where he could potentially be a demon. In short, Troy Evans might want to consider life after football, or think about finding a new team.

I thought the same thing. You might as well have one of the strongest units out there. If not you give the defensive backfield help. that was my one big problem with this draft. I think Okoye is a great find at #10 but it isn't the direction I looked for. Just me though.

Abbate would backup Rayns at MLB, and play a lot on ST where he could potentially be a demon. In short, Troy Evans might want to consider life after football, or think about finding a new team.

I think Troy is on the Saints now ... via free agency .

Warren Sapp would disagree with you. Okoye has been compared to Sapp quite a bit, so if the comparisons hold true, he'll be a presence that must be accounted for, which will free up Mario and Weaver to make some plays from the outside.

I think that Babin is going to have a monster year thanks to Okoye.

JMO.

As it relates to the draft, Kubiak at the draft luncheon said that they did what they could do this year. That yeah, the Texans are looking at the long term answer at left tackle so they don't have to worry about it, but so are 31other teams in the league. That they believe in Charles Spencer and believe he can be back. But that they can't count on that so they got Jordan Black and have the other guys they can work with. But they were not going to reach in the draft for an offensive lineman, or overpay for a lineman in free agency just because he was the best guy available.

I did a write up on the draft on the TexansTalk.com main board--I don't know how to permalink the blogs to here, so that's where you can find it.

Couple things.

Henderson and Stroud could argue this point differently.

As it relates to the draft, Kubiak at the draft luncheon said that they did what they could do this year. That yeah, the Texans are looking at the long term answer at left tackle so they don't have to worry about it, but so are 31other teams in the league. That they believe in Charles Spencer and believe he can be back. But that they can't count on that so they got Jordan Black and have the other guys they can work with. But they were not going to reach in the draft for an offensive lineman, or overpay for a lineman in free agency just because he was the best guy available.

I did a write up on the draft on the TexansTalk.com main board--I don't know how to permalink the blogs to here, so that's where you can find it.

Thanks for that info. It's nice to hear that Black is the insurance and that Salaam isn't. I will admit I don't like Salaam but I can live with him as a swing tackle as long as he never has to play a down. :)

Thanks for that info. It's nice to hear that Black is the insurance and that Salaam isn't. I will admit I don't like Salaam but I can live with him as a swing tackle as long as he never has to play a down. :)

Hmmm, he wasn't that explicit.

He basically said--hey we got the guys we got, we went and got another guy we thought could help, but there wasn't anyone else in FA or high up in the draft that made sense to get.

He did make a point that they weren't going to just go get guys just to get guys and overspend. (He didn't go..cough cough...Todd Wade...though he could have.)

Seems to me like the sad fact is there just weren't many LT prospects to be had this offseason in FA or the draft.

I also think that Jordan Black isn't as bad as everyone thinks that he is. He didn't look great in their playoff game (which is what he's being judged on,) but look who he was up against.

Hmmm, he wasn't that explicit.

He basically said--hey we got the guys we got, we went and got another guy we thought could help, but there wasn't anyone else in FA or high up in the draft that made sense to get.

He did make a point that they weren't going to just go get guys just to get guys and overspend. (He didn't go..cough cough...Todd Wade...though he could have.)

I remember him saying that he fully expected Spencer to be back and playing and that his rehab was going great. He even had some conviction in his voice when he said it.

I liked it when he said they were not going to go out and buy players.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that when Rick and Kubes are together they are almost like one person? Meaning its not like here is the head coach and then here is our GM, but almost like they are friends sharing the responsibilities.

I never got that from Cass and Capers. Capers always seemed to have a "What did this butt-hole do to me this time?" look on his face. Maybe that is why Capers mouth is always open, he was in aw of Casserly's talent evaluations.

Seems to me like the sad fact is there just weren't many LT prospects to be had this offseason in FA or the draft.

I also think that Jordan Black isn't as bad as everyone thinks that he is. He didn't look great in their playoff game (which is what he's being judged on,) but look who he was up against.

He can't be all that bad when KC names a stretch of highway after him. I heard it starts right after the Victor Riley entrance ramp.

One thing that has not been talked about is how was the Guard play in KC? If the guard play is bad it also effects the tackle spot.

FWIW .... the Great Blue North Draft Report has us taking Jake Long LT Michican in the 2008 NFL draft with the #9 pick overall . :fans:

FWIW .... the Great Blue North Draft Report has us taking Jake Long LT Michican in the 2008 NFL draft with the #9 pick overall . :fans:

If we're picking in the top ten again next year, we'll have more to worry about than just a LT....

OK lets make a list of shutdown corners .... Champ Bailey , Assante Samuel , Nate Clements who else ?

That's my point. DTs are a dime a dozen. In most systems, their only job is to be huge and get blocked, letting LBs make the plays. Finding true secondary monsters is a rareity.

If we were going D, I would have rather had Nelson, Hall, Revis, or Willis. Guys are more impact positions.

Pitcock, Thomas, and Mebane all went off the board in the 3rd, and there is not much of a step down in talent between them and Okoye.

Actually I think you have to have balance . If I had to make a choice between Revis or Okoye ... I'll take Okoye because he can stop the run along with getting a pash rush .

Quick name the 85 Bears cornerbacks ...( Jeopardy music playing .... times up ).

This how the 90's Cowboys got away with Larry Brown at CB and who was their FS . They had Charles Haley , Leon Lett , Russell Maryland , Jeffcoat , and Hennings .

Back