Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DoD Shatters Campbell's NFL Dreams

I think some are missing the the bigger point here, the Army didn't change it's stance; DOD changed it's policy. The Army had no choice in saying "Sorry Dude. Pack up and ship out."

DOD > Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard

They screwed this up.

HOW??? They made a person live up to their obligations that the person agreed to PRIOR to attending West Point???

Dude should have chosen a different school if his intent was to NOT serve in the military... He's the dumbass if he thought anything different.

But let's start setting precedents for people to apply to our military academies - getting a wonderful, free education - only to bail before they live up to their end of the bargain... BRILLIANT!

Ya know... On second thought.
Let this guy out of his duty. He must be a scrub anyway being a 7th round pick. Let him fail miserably.

I think some are missing the the bigger point here, the Army didn't change it's stance; DOD changed it's policy. The Army had no choice in saying "Sorry Dude. Pack up and ship out."

You just had to put the Coast Guard in a smaller font didn't you? No skin off my teeth bro, we both know USAF is where it's at. *sets stage for intra branch rivalry smack talk*

No offense to anyone intended, but I am a bit surprised that so many would be willing to make a special case for a soldier because of football, but do not feel the same about a soldier with children that is kept in service because of stop-loss orders. Priorities, 'eh?

You bring up some interesting points, but irrelevant to this situation. If there was a thread started over in the NSZ I might have some thoughts..... :thinking:

HOW??? They made a person live up to their obligations that the person agreed to PRIOR to attending West Point???

Dude should have chosen a different school if his intent was to NOT serve in the military... He's the dumbass if he thought anything different.

But let's start setting precedents for people to apply to our military academies - getting a wonderful, free education - only to bail before they live up to their end of the bargain... BRILLIANT!

Ya know... On second thought.
Let this guy out of his duty. He must be a scrub anyway being a 7th round pick. Let him fail miserably.

For the record, Campbell knew what his obligations were and he had no reported issues. Coach Rod Marinelli said in a press conference that Caleb knew what he had to do once the decision was made and he did it.

Caleb Campbell admitted that he shed a few tears Wednesday when he learned he would be joining his fellow West Point graduates in either Afghanistan or Iraq instead of taking the field.

"When I got drafted, I told people that I was going to have the best of both worlds," Campbell told ESPN. "I was going to be in the United States Army and I was going to have a chance to play professional football. Now I have the best of one world, and I'm very positive about that. It's all going to work out. ... I'm in great shape, and I'm going to stay in great shape. I'm going to fulfill my duty to the United States Army and do what I've got to do. One day, hopefully, I'll get another opportunity to play in the NFL."

I just wanted to add that in order to make sure nobody get's the wrong idea. Caleb understands his obligations to the Army.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1591502/20080724/id_0.jhtml

For the record, Campbell knew what his obligations were and he had no reported issues. Coach Rod Marinelli said in a press conference that Caleb knew what he had to do once the decision was made and he did it.

I just wanted to add that in order to make sure nobody get's the wrong idea. Caleb understands his obligations to the Army.

Thanks for posting, it should not be overlooked he has handled this whole thing the right way, with the right attitude, even though there was a policy change he is not bitter about it he's ready to serve his country and understand his commitment......just like the rest of our men and women out there enlisted or officers. :patriot

Thank you! I can understand a mild bit of him being upset not playing in the NFL (for now) BUT his obligation comes first.

Don't be too upset with us, don't forget we are the ones who bring the A/C on those long, hot deployments, y'all just suffer seperation anxiety when we are not there. :whip:

What long, hot deployments? I spent the whole time in northern Germany... :eek: Sometimes it was too cold for your boys to even fire up the A-10's...

*and yes, we did miss y'all when y'all weren't around* :cry2:

What long, hot deployments? I spent the whole time in northern Germany... :eek: Sometimes it was too cold for your boys to even fire up the A-10's...

*and yes, we did miss y'all when y'all weren't around* :cry2:

My late brother was in the Army, he used to rave about the A-10's providing air support for them, flying at tree top levels, those were fun stories he used to tell me when I was about 8 or 9. Then when I grew up and went in the Air Force he talked smack to me.....LOL

My late brother was in the Army, he used to rave about the A-10's providing air support for them, flying at tree top levels, those were fun stories he used to tell me when I was about 8 or 9. Then when I grew up and went in the Air Force he talked smack to me.....LOL

While I was infantry (an educated grunt), I served with a tank division (2nd Armored - Hell on Wheels), we appreciated the great 'tank killers' in the sky - circling for support.

Hey, what are brothers for?? LOL!! Although, I'm sure he was proud of your decision to join the USAF instead of the US Army.

I loved the Air Force. They had great mess halls, good-looking chics in the nearby barracks, and everytime I needed to go jump out of a plane, they provided the plane.

Oh wait .... I was attached to 3rd SFG, so I only jumped 6 or 7 USAF craft. Scratch that last part ;)

The part about the mess halls and chics is true, though!

I loved the Air Force. They had great mess halls, good-looking chics in the nearby barracks, and everytime I needed to go jump out of a plane, they provided the plane.

Oh wait .... I was attached to 3rd SFG, so I only jumped 6 or 7 USAF craft. Scratch that last part ;)

The part about the mess halls and chics is true, though!

Our mess hall was awesome!! Made to order omelets, etc....

But agreed about the chicks... We always sang our dirtiest chants when running through their area of our post...

DOD - Army, Navy , Air Force, Marines

Coast Guard use to be under DOT - now I believe it is Dept of Homeland Security.

The USCG transferred from the Department of Transportation to the Department of Homeland Security in 2002. The USCG does not fall under the DoD, however it can conduct operations under the DoD and the President's request.

yes, i would. The army isn't infallible, isn't god, and isn't immune from being called out on its stupidity. Screw the army . They screwed this up.

Look - you may have a personal beef with the Army for something unrelated to this - I don't know. I understand people get bitter over some ish. I just ask that you stop and think about who you are really insulting here. I don't care if you disagree with the war, but know this - as a civilian, your rights are ensured by the same Army you are telling to go screw itself.

I never said the Army was infallable. In fact I said the opposite - read it man.

My point is that there really wasn't an opportunity to miss... he wasn't eligible to skip out on his active duty commitment - plain and simple. The Army should have known better, but they aren't infallible. They wanted to use him as a billboard, but couldn't get it passed the black and white. DoD shot it down. The DoD overrides service related decisions all the time - this one just got a little more publicity...

Now - if you want to give the Army grief because they tried to let this kid play pro ball (right or wrong) without having the authority to do so... then that's valid to a point. But the DoD didn't do anything but enforce it's own policy - a policy that the Army either misinterpreted or tried to circumvent.

I haven't read much this other that some reports on the internet, but he probably talked to an officer who told him them might be able to do something for him and he took that and ran with it.

By the time that officer got with his superior, then the next and the next up the chain of command, he thought he would be able to play.

A 7th round pick has a slim chance to play anyway (yes there are exceptions), if he is good enough to play at the NFL level now, he will be able to play when the Army is done with him. Just ask Roger Staubach.

Back