Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

• Total voters

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Watson for Herbert, Joey Bosa and 1.13.
I don’t think SD makes that deal in a million years.

Herbert is about as real a deal as real deals get. This kid put on a show last season and that was accomplished with a no team off-season.....for an NFL rookie.

Texans might interest the Chargers in a trade for LT- Tunsil or a suddenly affordable, WR- Cooks. Might even get a bite on CB- Roby if offered.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I bet they get something closer to 2 ones/two 2's and a upper tier starter for DW4.
Effectively what you’re proposing is the same value as Corrosion’s 4 first rd picks. 2 second rounders are the equivalent of a first rounder and generally upper tier starters are worth a first round pick, unless they’re older, expensive or have an extensive injury history

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Effectively what you’re proposing is the same value as Corrosion’s 4 first rd picks. 2 second rounders are the equivalent of a first rounder and generally upper tier starters are worth a first round pick, unless they’re older, expensive or have an extensive injury history
That's the way I see it. We May not get four actual 2021 first round picks, but the equivalent.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I don’t think SD makes that deal in a million years.

Herbert is about as real a deal as real deals get. This kid put on a show last season and that was accomplished with a no team off-season.....for an NFL rookie.

Texans might interest the Chargers in a trade for LT- Tunsil or a suddenly affordable, WR- Cooks. Might even get a bite on CB- Roby if offered.
So whos better?
Herbert or Watson?

Who would make the Chargers better tomorrow if he was the starting QB?

Jack Burton

Veteran
Using DRAFT PICKS to acquire a TOP 5 QB is building through the draft.
I agree. But they have been seemingly not interested.
I can only conclude that it isn’t necessarily the Jets, but it’s that Caserio isn’t looking to trade away a known TOP 5 QB asset for an unknown, PROJECTED, elite, franchise QB.
I think he wants an immediate return on his asset of equal or higher PROVEN value.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I agree. But they have been seemingly not interested.
I can only conclude that it isn’t necessarily the Jets, but it’s that Caserio isn’t looking to trade away a known TOP 5 QB asset for an unknown, PROJECTED, elite, franchise QB.
I think he wants an immediate return on his asset of equal or higher PROVEN value.
It's a Mexican standoff dancing to the tune of "Nobody is Interested".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I know

I figure some won't be happy until they see four 1st ed picks (literally)

nycdan

Practice Squad
Ok. Jets 1.2 1.23 2.34 Q Williams one of their 2022 round ones has a 2021 value of a second.
Miami 1.3 1.18 2.35 2.50 and take Howard off their hands.
Not at all in step with the Joe Douglas profile. He's not likely to overpay and I'd be stunned if he included Quinnen or Mekhi in any deal. Those two guys are probably as close to 'hands off' as you get. If they were sitting in the middle of round 1, maybe, but #2 is a different type of trade chip.

My best guess is 1.2, 1.23, 2021 1st and 3rd. Maybe even just 1.2, 2.34, 2021 1st and 3rd.

I'm sure most of you would hate that and see it as massively underpriced, and I'm not arguing with you, but 1.2 is worth 2-3 average 1st round picks by itself, and in this case, it gets you your choice of Wilson or Fields, or a bounty in a trade-down. Which is exactly what I suspect Douglas will do anyway if the price for Watson is higher than he likes.

At the price I mentioned, as a Jets fan, I'm sort of neutral on the deal. Would be happy if it happened, but okay if it didn't. Any more, and I think it defeats the purpose of enabling the team to build AROUND Watson, not just put him into an empty shell of a team.

Jack Burton

Veteran
It's a Mexican standoff dancing to the tune of "Nobody is Interested".
Ha.
These teams are interested and I’ve no doubt they’ve left their “answering machine” trade proposals.
I now don’t think Caserio is even considering those right now.
I think he wants an immediate return in Watson.
Nothing projected. That’s not good enough. Not even Z Wilson.
I originally said that’s the floor. Getting #2. But I now don’t even think thats the floor.
I think an immediate starting QB of Watsons level is the floor.
I think part of the reason your hearing that HOU isn’t interested in trading Watson and he’s their QB is partly because Caserio has set the floor correctly.
He wants an immediate EQUAL return or better. Period.

You see people here and the media saying this guy is worth north of 4 1sts and a massive haul of other picks and players?
OK, if he’s worth so much he must be pretty damn good. Top 5 good. At 25 yrs old. In his prime. Right?

Then if I’m Caserio I dont want a bunch of maybe’s. Draft picks and positional players. F that.

Caserio wants a QB of equal value at the very least.
Now, while that’s a tough solution to come to, it is possible with a top 5, 25 year old, healthy, proven QB.

I think Caserio is working on something much more than just a haul of picks. That’s a secondary outcome. That’s after he’s exhausted getting equal, PROVEN value For Watson.

OptimisticTexan

So whos better?
Herbert or Watson?

Who would make the Chargers better tomorrow if he was the starting QB?
Depends on what your cup of tea is. Herbert and a healthy Chargers team could be a very strong playoff contender. Mahomes arrived to KC who was already an assembled playoff team and he made them better. Watson and a savvy, smart, and good organization could provide the same solid playoff contender status to the Texans or any team prepared as a QB away from being a solid playoff contender.

The difference: Watson is very expensive at the moment or should I say, come 2022. Mahomes, understanding the dynamics of how the cap and success go hand-in-hand, has already renegotiated his contract to reduce his cap impact......below the 13.2% sink-or-fail marker, we just don't know at this point. As for Herbert, he had a heck of a rookie campaign, he's costing little against their cap, and if the team is healthy.....could put up even better numbers in 2021. The biggest plus, the Chargers could hold him for the next 4+ seasons but if he builds off his rookie effort I could see the Chargers not waiting until the end of his contract to get him a new extension that keeps him a Charger for the next 10 years minimum.

So, it doesn't come down to better.....it comes down to hybrid of better and affordable. The Chargers can afford to build their team around Herbert over the next 4 seasons.....this way, if he prices himself out of their comfort range, they sign a Bridge QB1 and begin the development of another young and affordable QB1.

OptimisticTexan

Not at all in step with the Joe Douglas profile. He's not likely to overpay and I'd be stunned if he included Quinnen or Mekhi in any deal. Those two guys are probably as close to 'hands off' as you get. If they were sitting in the middle of round 1, maybe, but #2 is a different type of trade chip.

My best guess is 1.2, 1.23, 2021 1st and 3rd. Maybe even just 1.2, 2.34, 2021 1st and 3rd.

I'm sure most of you would hate that and see it as massively underpriced, and I'm not arguing with you, but 1.2 is worth 2-3 average 1st round picks by itself, and in this case, it gets you your choice of Wilson or Fields, or a bounty in a trade-down. Which is exactly what I suspect Douglas will do anyway if the price for Watson is higher than he likes.

At the price I mentioned, as a Jets fan, I'm sort of neutral on the deal. Would be happy if it happened, but okay if it didn't. Any more, and I think it defeats the purpose of enabling the team to build AROUND Watson, not just put him into an empty shell of a team.
The Jets would be better off building a team around Darnold or drafting Wilson than bringing that offer to Caserio's doorstep. You just don't get a "Franchise QB1" for nothing....remember, OB isn't here to orchestrate any unfavorable deals for Texans top tier talent.

I think the bigger concern for the Jets would be Miami putting together the right package to land Watson b/c they are seriously a "Franchise QB1" from being every bit as good as the Bills. This could leave the Jets and Patriots on the outside looking in for the next 2-3 seasons or until those draft assets start giving return on investment.....if those investments sink, it could be a solid 4-6 years before they could compete within the division.

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
The Jets would be better off building a team around Darnold or drafting Wilson than bringing that offer to Caserio's doorstep. You just don't get a "Franchise QB1" for nothing....remember, OB isn't here to orchestrate any unfavorable deals for Texans top tier talent.

I think the bigger concern for the Jets would be Miami putting together the right package to land Watson b/c they are seriously a "Franchise QB1" from being every bit as good as the Bills. This could leave the Jets and Patriots on the outside looking in for the next 2-3 seasons or until those draft assets start giving return on investment.....if those investments sink, it could be a solid 4-6 years before they could compete within the division.
And there you have found Cessarios’ greatest negotiating tool. Allen will be getting new deal in next 2 years @ $40m per range.Watson deal actually great value. His agent failed him.
Rookie like Wilson/Fields/ Lance if any good could give Jets a 4-5 year window with draft capital & CAP space

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Depends on what your cup of tea is. Herbert and a healthy Chargers team could be a very strong playoff contender. Mahomes arrived to KC who was already an assembled playoff team and he made them better. Watson and a savvy, smart, and good organization could provide the same solid playoff contender status to the Texans or any team prepared as a QB away from being a solid playoff contender.

The difference: Watson is very expensive at the moment or should I say, come 2022. Mahomes, understanding the dynamics of how the cap and success go hand-in-hand, has already renegotiated his contract to reduce his cap impact......below the 13.2% sink-or-fail marker, we just don't know at this point. As for Herbert, he had a heck of a rookie campaign, he's costing little against their cap, and if the team is healthy.....could put up even better numbers in 2021. The biggest plus, the Chargers could hold him for the next 4+ seasons but if he builds off his rookie effort I could see the Chargers not waiting until the end of his contract to get him a new extension that keeps him a Charger for the next 10 years minimum.

So, it doesn't come down to better.....it comes down to hybrid of better and affordable. The Chargers can afford to build their team around Herbert over the next 4 seasons.....this way, if he prices himself out of their comfort range, they sign a Bridge QB1 and begin the development of another young and affordable QB1.
Remember when we used to talk about trading DW4 for Herbert?

I was on board for trading DW4, some thought I was crazy. Not so much anymore.

OptimisticTexan

And there you have found Cessarios’ greatest negotiating tool. Allen will be getting new deal in next 2 years @ $40m per range.Watson deal actually great value. His agent failed him.
Rookie like Wilson/Fields/ Lance if any good could give Jets a 45 year window with draft capital & CAP space
If you go back and look at my post(s) regarding the Jets trading for Watson, I've stated multiple times that if I were handling the Jets......I'd get Wilson from the draft, trade Darnold before the 2021 deadline since that could offer the very best return on him and set the table for Wilson taking over as the starter. Use that 2 year window of draft assets and build an amazing team around Wilson.

Also, somewhere along the line.....I hope the Jets realize that the uniform change was not needed since I see it as a marketing regression and should return to the prior uniform which was one of my favorites.

OptimisticTexan

Remember, it had nothing to do with Watson and everything to do with the idea that we didn't see Watson as the prototypical QB1 OB was looking for. I know I mentioned how the Steelers would jump through their arses if the Texans wanted to swap QB's and a few picks but decided the best route would be to trade Watson before the 2020 NFL Darft and select Herbert, who in my book, was the prototypical QB1 that OB wanted. Plus, the Texans didn't have the team needed to surround Watson with and needed draft assets to make it happen. I still would've pulled the strings on that trade if it ever came to be an option.

Last edited:

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
If you go back and look at my post(s) regarding the Jets trading for Watson, I've stated multiple times that if I were handling the Jets......I'd get Wilson from the draft, trade Darnold before the 2021 deadline since that could offer the very best return on him and set the table for Wilson taking over as the starter. Use that 2 year window of draft assets and build an amazing team around Wilson.

There is a split @ JetNation.com over DW, Wilson & Fields. We’ve waited 50+ years for another FQB. I am in the DW camp.
I started a poll at JetNation and the DW trade won outright among Jet fans. I hope something can be worked out where both teams benefit! Good luck in the future!

Also, somewhere along the line.....I hope the Jets realize that the uniform change was not needed since I see it as a marketing regression and should return to the prior uniform which was one of my favorites.

Everything in the NFL is a marketing gimmick. Different Jersey’s means fans need to buy more jerseys. Klecko, Emerson Boozer, Don Maynard, Chrebet, Gastineau and Revis were my favorites.

Jack Burton

Veteran

So this post means Watson isnt a generational, superstar talent that any team would do anything up to and including trading away Herbert to get, regardless of cap space and contract which the chargers could swing tomorrow. LA has plenty of cap space and plenty of dead cap players they could trade to make it all smooth out.
Basically, if Watson is soooo good then nothing would stop LAC from acquiring him with a team basically in the same spot KC was in with Mahomes. It’s a ready made SB contender.

Is Watson as good as advertised or not? Is he Mahomes level good?

Eboozer32

Practice Squad
Glad to see there are Jet Fans on the board promoting a trade. Go Jets!,

no, i think when it comes time watson will want to be the highest paid qb in the league. so, along with the fact that the dolphins will have just traded 2 years worth of their best draft picks along with one of the best corners in the league will put them in a spot where they will have watson and not enough around him. i'd be fine with the dolphins turning themselves into the 2020 texans
Hello Texans fan - Jet fan here coming in peace. I feel for you guys as I know firsthand as a Jets and Knicks fan what it feels like to deal with frustrations from an ownership/management side. Hopefully the new regime will help turn things around.

I was reading this thread to see what the pulse of the fan base was, and I think if I was in your shoes (or Caserios) I'd be saying the same thing. When Jamal Adams was bitching last offseason my stance was we have control of him for 4 years, if he wants to sit out the rest of his NFL career he can feel free to do so, because I am not trading him unless I feel I am making a move that is a net positive for my team. I think the Texans should hold tight until they get a ransom from another team because of who DW4 is, and ultimately, at some point - I believe you'll get it.

I thought I'd offer some perspective on the Jets management. I genuinely don't believe we will be getting Watson. Our new GM (has only had one offseason with the team, if we had our former GM Watson would be a Texan right now and you'd have 38 first-round picks) is all about the draft. He's a former scout and I genuinely don't believe he can climax unless his wife screams out DRAFT PICKS during sex. In every interview, he's done he speaks about the importance of building a foundation, and building that through the draft. The Jets have no foundation now and my guess is he will not be willing to pay the requisite price to trade for DW4. I think the best type of offer he'd make is #2 this year, one of our firsts next year, and a 2023 1st rounder. So three first-round picks but not multiple 1s one-year which will allow him to rebuild the core of this talent-depleted Jets team. I'm guessing that doesn't get it done, which is why I don't believe ultimately we will end up with Watson.

My question for you all is, I agree that Miami is the most logical trade partner. If we assume (maybe incorrectly) that the Texans would prefer to draft a QB at 3 rather than roll with Tua, and if the first two QBs off the board are TL & Wilson, would you all be worried about potential headaches in selecting Justin Fields? I believe Fields and Watson have trained together for multiple years now with the same QB coach, and share the same agent. Do you think the Texans would draft him knowing what the agent thinks of ownership as there may be potential issues down the road?

Jack Burton

Veteran

I’m suggesting the trade for Herbert not because I personally want him but I think that’s what Caserio is looking at. I don’t think he’s even entertaining trades for picks and positional players because those players aren’t a QB and those draft picks are projected players that have never played a down in the NFL.
Caserio wants an equal return on his top 5, 25 year old, healthy, superstar QB.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Before Woody came back I would have probably agreed with you. But as I've stated elsewhere I think Woody Johnson wants to make a huge Splash as he has returned from his ambassadorship. I am not saying that Joe Douglas is not going to be in charge but I think he will not argue much if insisted upon by Mister Johnson. The Jets have gone nowhere for years and they need a huge motivator for their fans and their roster. The unlimited Countrywide attention that the Jets would get with Watson for at least the next two years minimum would be factored into the trade also.

I think mistake you and maybe others are making is this is not a trade for a higher first round pick. The trade is about top of the NFL starting quarterback. Just now entering his Prime and if healthy could give you another 15 years at the number one position on the team. It is not just NFL dollars that are at play here for either the Johnson Brothers or for brand Derrick DeShaun Watson..

1.2 is interesting as it does bring the possibility of getting a franchise quarterback. In comparison, DeShaun Watson brings you the guarantee of a franchise quarterback and a young one just entering into his prime also. No college quarterback is in the same realm including Trevor Lawrence. Every team in the top 10 know that. I think that is one of the reasons that Dallas laid out the gold coin for Prescott.

My preference

Herbert, NYC and Dolphins based on what I think each trade package would entail.

OptimisticTexan

So this post means Watson isnt a generational, superstar talent that any team would do anything up to and including trading away Herbert to get, regardless of cap space and contract which the chargers could swing tomorrow. LA has plenty of cap space and plenty of dead cap players they could trade to make it all smooth out.
Basically, if Watson is soooo good then nothing would stop LAC from acquiring him with a team basically in the same spot KC was in with Mahomes. It’s a ready made SB contender.

Is Watson as good as advertised or not? Is he Mahomes level good?
Yes, it's that simple in regards to Watson's talent. No.....b/c when a team is sitting on a potential star who has already flashed as a rookie, no way do you trade him while he's starting the second year of his rookie contract. That's just not smart football business.

After Watson's rookie season, I wouldn't have given him up for any QB. The Texans failed Watson miserably in building a proper team around him and forcing him to work with an inept coaching staff.

Would you trade Herbert and a 2021- RD1, 2022- RD1, and a 2023- RD1 pick to the Texans for Watson? See, if I'm Caserio and the Chargers call wanting to talk about trading Herbert for Watson....I immediately devalue Herbert's stock and demand that the Chargers cough up an additional (3) RD1 picks.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yes, it's that simple in regards to Watson's talent. No.....b/c when a team is sitting on a potential star who has already flashed as a rookie, no way do you trade him while he's starting the second year of his rookie contract. That's just not smart football business.

After Watson's rookie season, I wouldn't have given him up for any QB. The Texans failed Watson miserably in building a proper team around him and forcing him to work with an inept coaching staff.

Would you trade Herbert and a 2021- RD1, 2022- RD1, and a 2023- RD1 pick to the Texans for Watson? See, if I'm Caserio and the Chargers call wanting to talk about trading Herbert for Watson....I immediately devalue Herbert's stock and demand that the Chargers cough up an additional (3) RD1 picks.
Just wanted to point out that Watson seemed and still seems to have no issue at all with the coaching staff and in fact lobbied for Kelly to stick around. Even with OB you could make a case that, based on strictly what he has said, Watson loved him as a coach and was upset he was fired. As far as building a proper team the teams he played on were never horrible up until last year, before that those were some competitive teams that with better coaching and game management might could have made some real runs. There is also the fact that Watson, particularly the first couple of seasons, had a hand in those failing teams as well.

Point I'm making is this is not Andrew Luck where they don't even try to give him some protection or Aaron Rodgers where they won't even sign or draft a WR. Texans have tried to give Watson on field help, maybe it wasn't the best in hindsight but it wasn't from lack of trying. Yeah coaching wise they should have improved that spot about 2-3 years ago but you can say that about half the teams in the league. Doesn't help just as they are trying improve in that area he starts all this. Despite what some jaded members on here think Watson has not been in anywhere close to as bad a situation as he could have been. We may not be the Pats or Chiefs but we're not the Lions or Cowgirls either.

Jack Burton

Veteran

I don’t even know how you typed this out.
You try to devalue Watson when it helps your point which is mute cause he’s a top 5 QB, and then you try devalue Herbert to do the same.
Either Watson is as good as advertised. Or he isn’t.
You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Before Woody came back I would have probably agreed with you. But as I've stated elsewhere I think Woody Johnson wants to make a huge Splash as he has returned from his ambassadorship. I am not saying that Joe Douglas is not going to be in charge but I think he will not argue much if insisted upon by Mister Johnson. The Jets have gone nowhere for years and they need a huge motivator for their fans and their roster. The unlimited Countrywide attention that the Jets would get with Watson for at least the next two years minimum would be factored into the trade also.

I think mistake you and maybe others are making is this is not a trade for a higher first round pick. The trade is about top of the NFL starting quarterback. Just now entering his Prime and if healthy could give you another 15 years at the number one position on the team. It is not just NFL dollars that are at play here for either the Johnson Brothers or for brand Derrick DeShaun Watson..

1.2 is interesting as it does bring the possibility of getting a franchise quarterback. In comparison, DeShaun Watson brings you the guarantee of a franchise quarterback and a young one just entering into his prime also. No college quarterback is in the same realm including Trevor Lawrence. Every team in the top 10 know that. I think that is one of the reasons that Dallas laid out the gold coin for Prescott.

My preference

Herbert, NYC and Dolphins based on what I think each trade package would entail.
I think that is what everyone that is trying to decide on value is missing the mark. Draft point system, previous or current trades none of this stuff really captures the value of what we are talking about here. Basically this is like trying to sell the Holy Grail. Some will say its value is only the sum of the material its made of, some will say its value is the historical significance and some will say its value is the religious significance. All are right yet all are wrong as well because none truly capture the value of what we are talking about. A proven, top 10 at the very least and most likely top 5 or even top 3 NFL level QB just entering his prime, coming off his best season, already locked down with a new contract and his old team paying a large chunk of that contract. This is truly the Holy Grail in sports with the only thing being able to top it being a time machine to go back and draft Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. For the real world this is as good as it gets.

People keep saying we will be disappointed in the value we get for Watson and I agree simply because I don't think any team can truly meet the price of his value. If Caserio comes out of this with anything even remotely in range of Watson's value he will have earned all 30 million right then and there. Honestly I think the reason alot of teams aren't making a play for this is the same reason that most if any of us don't go price private islands. We already know the price is way out of our range so why waste our time. For some teams though, like the Jets or Miami, that can make enough of an offer to get a bite they have to at least consider it. In the NFL right now the job I would want the least is Caserio's but the next two jobs I'd want the least is GM of Jets or Dolphins.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think that is what everyone that is trying to decide on value is missing the mark. Draft point system, previous or current trades none of this stuff really captures the value of what we are talking about here. Basically this is like trying to sell the Holy Grail. Some will say its value is only the sum of the material its made of, some will say its value is the historical significance and some will say its value is the religious significance. All are right yet all are wrong as well because none truly capture the value of what we are talking about. A proven, top 10 at the very least and most likely top 5 or even top 3 NFL level QB just entering his prime, coming off his best season, already locked down with a new contract and his old team paying a large chunk of that contract. This is truly the Holy Grail in sports with the only thing being able to top it being a time machine to go back and draft Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. For the real world this is as good as it gets.

People keep saying we will be disappointed in the value we get for Watson and I agree simply because I don't think any team can truly meet the price of his value. If Caserio comes out of this with anything even remotely in range of Watson's value he will have earned all 30 million right then and there. Honestly I think the reason alot of teams aren't making a play for this is the same reason that most if any of us don't go price private islands. We already know the price is way out of our range so why waste our time. For some teams though, like the Jets or Miami, that can make enough of an offer to get a bite they have to at least consider it. In the NFL right now the job I would want the least is Caserio's but the next two jobs I'd want the least is GM of Jets or Dolphins.
Man you have a high opinion of DW4. You're worth what you're worth in trade and money No more or less. DW4's a good QB, but he's not some kind of generational QB like Mahomes and his value in a trade will most likely reflect this. Hopefully the media keeps on doing what the media does and it inflates DW4's stock.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Of course I dunno but I think it's possible that NC might actually relish this opportunity he's going to be faced with when it comes to trading DW4 and investing the Draft picks he receives in exchange for Watson. Everybody knows none of this is of Caserios making, but rather a set of circumstances he walked into that is none of his doing.
NC will make his own mark on the Texans franchise with his decisions in the upcoming weeks, months, and even years if he remains here.
BTW Jim Trotter, the journalist with NFL.com who recently interviewed DW4, appeared on Rich Eisens show this past week and said that DW4 & his "team" are chronicling this entire series of events re his issues and departure with the Texans.
Anyway I'm not 100% clear on what that means, but hopefully we ultimately will have transparency on what this whole saga between Watson & the Texans ownership/management has been about, atleast from DW4s perspective.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Of course I dunno but I think it's possible that NC might actually relish this opportunity he's going to be faced with when it comes to trading DW4 and investing the Draft picks he receives in exchange for Watson. Everybody knows none of this is of Caserios making, but rather a set of circumstances he walked into that is none of his doing.
NC will make his own mark on the Texans franchise with his decisions in the upcoming weeks, months, and even years if he remains here.
BTW Jim Trotter, the journalist with NFL.com who recently interviewed DW4, appeared on Rich Eisens show this past week and said that DW4 & his "team" are chronicling this entire series of events r his isssues an departure with the Texans.
Anyway I'm not 100% clear on what that means, but hopefully we ultimately will have transparency on what this whole saga between Watson & the Texans ownership/management has been about, atleast from DW4s perspective.
I won't be trusting anything DW4's team says. They are orchastrating a narrative to justify breaking his contract.

Sad way to do business.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Man you have a high opinion of DW4. You're worth what you're worth in trade and money No more or less. DW4's a good QB, but he's not some kind of generational QB like Mahomes and his value in a trade will most likely reflect this. Hopefully the media keeps on doing what the media does and it inflates DW4's stock.
My opinion one way or the other has nothing to do with it. His stats and record say he is that good, we can argue about garbage time stats or if he focusses on his own stats to the detriment of the team and thats a whole different conversation but the numbers are what they are. Even if he's not as good as a Mahomes it doesn't matter because Mahomes isn't open for trade and never was going to be open for trade just like Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben and Brady in their primes were never going to be open for trade. Thats what makes the Watson situation so unique. You're only "worth what you're worth" if its a buyer's market but with the Watson situation its a seller's market so Watson is worth what the Texans say he is worth. Thats what made the Hopkins trade so stupid, that should have been a seller's market to but OB or whoever gave him his marching orders treated it like a buyer's market. Caserio so far seems to be handling it right.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I won't be trusting anything DW4's team says. They are orchastrating a narrative to justify breaking his contract.

Sad way to do business.
Ultimately I don't think it will change anything, the media and those that hate the Texans will use it as justification and those that are pissed at Watson will say "That's what you're crying about?". Full disclosure I expect myself to be in the latter group. Only way I can see it changing if it is something really offensive like a racial slur directed to him or something like that, basically something completely indefensible but frankly if it was something like that I think it would have already "leaked" out to put more pressure on the Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ultimately I don't think it will change anything, the media and those that hate the Texans will use it as justification and those that are pissed at Watson will say "That's what you're crying about?". Full disclosure I expect myself to be in the latter group. Only way I can see it changing if it is something really offensive like a racial slur directed to him or something like that, basically something completely indefensible but frankly if it was something like that I think it would have already "leaked" out to put more pressure on the Texans.
Caserio's a smart guy so, I dont see anything like this happening.

I do see the DW4 camp playing out the stereotype. In fact it's already started with the Avery tweet.

OptimisticTexan

You try to devalue Watson when it helps your point which is mute cause he’s a top 5 QB, and then you try devalue Herbert to do the same.
First I looked down and saw all these little squares with letters on them and thought, maybe if I push them I can create words, sentences and then thoughts. I'm still amazed as to how this works.

I've never devalued Watson.....and b/c I don't see a valid case for either team in regards to essentially swapping QB1's, it is in no way a slap to either QB's. The Chargers have draft assets this season and a star QB to build around while he's playing on the cheap. They're not a QB1 away from giving KC fits.....they're close, if the team stays healthy and they have a successful draft.

I would prefer to keep Watson but the Texans are in no position talent wise to afford his 2022 cap number and still build a proper team around him.

Texans are in a mess created by not having a solid GM and FO staff in place. The coaching has been subpar with position coaches staying longer than they should have when they failed to improve the position or the players.

Texans are facing cap constraints, lack of 2021 draft assets, and have average to below average players absorbing the starting rolls on the depth chart. Is this Watson's fault? Hail no, he's shown himself to be a truly solid talent.

Watson will need to start thinking more like Mahomes in regards to his contract.....2021 not so much but his financial impact on any team in 2022 is going to be tough for a team to manage the talent and pay Watson 40M at the same time. I believe, if Watson goes to the right team.....he'll re-work his contract to help them cap wise. On the flip side, I don't think the Texans will be given the same opportunity. This probably means Caserio is listening to offers. For once I really appreciate that no leaks are coming from the FO regarding this situation.....it allows Caserio to hold his poker-face until the right time.

Watson's value should give Caserio the right haul in picks and players......when the right team makes the offer that makes Caserio say, I think we can do business, then we'll all know that the Texans and Caserio are ready for the next step.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
OptimisticTexan is optimistic. :D

At this point it's like watching your favorite TV show in its third season lose its focus. You just kind of shake your head and wonder what the new writing staff is thinking. We could really not know anything about the future of the Texans until draft night and see what happens, if anything does. I think the worst possible outcome is both sides stand their ground and nothing happens and we go into the 2021 season with no draft, no QB, and not much for the rest of the players either. At which point it becomes the sh!t show many have predicted. I hope that doesn't happen.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I do not see another trade equaling Watson's value. Some posters rave at how special DW4 is as a top 3-5 franchise, yadda yadda but say we can only get much less than that perceived value. Well which is it?

If Spanos/Telesco think Deshaun is much better than DW and Casserio thinks Herbert is immediate return then what is the hold up? Throw some icing on the cake and let's go. I want some ice cream also but what do I know?
This post I typed half hour ago then found yours. Rules need to be same across board. Good Post!

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yes! a very good but not elite RB in Herschel Walker at not #1 position on a team--QB. Yes use it as "somewhere in the ball park single or double but definitely not the home run that DW would bring."

Walker was like hooking a wide mouth bass--wow that's cool! Watson is hooking a Great White shark...
Add in the excitement that one you eat and the other may eat you.

badboy

Hall of Fame
My opinion one way or the other has nothing to do with it. His stats and record say he is that good, we can argue about garbage time stats or if he focusses on his own stats to the detriment of the team and thats a whole different conversation but the numbers are what they are. Even if he's not as good as a Mahomes it doesn't matter because Mahomes isn't open for trade and never was going to be open for trade just like Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben and Brady in their primes were never going to be open for trade. Thats what makes the Watson situation so unique. You're only "worth what you're worth" if its a buyer's market but with the Watson situation its a seller's market so Watson is worth what the Texans say he is worth. Thats what made the Hopkins trade so stupid, that should have been a seller's market to but OB or whoever gave him his marching orders treated it like a buyer's market. Caserio so far seems to be handling it right.
yes as stated elsewhere by someone, it is not what we think DW is worth but what a buyer(s) thinks he's worth and will pay. We all read that a player like him has never come on market before; teams should expect to pay huge premium if Texans announce opening of trade talks, etc and those are from not Houston sources.. so, I am suppose to ignore that and just say " ok, come get him with your less than optimum package?
Comparing a vintage corvette that is on market for a million bucks to a Bentley worth $3 million but not going to be on the market is ridiculous.