Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

Do you think Watson will accept a trade to the Jets?

• Total voters

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yes or no?
I think Watson is more concerned about whatever team he goes to giving up so much its hard to put pieces around him than it is the actual team.

The Jets have the 2nd most cap space in the league this offseason .... that could offset the loss of draft picks , at least in the short term.

There's a short list of teams I think he would instantly reject and the Jets aren't one of them & they hired one of his top HC candidates.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Do I think he would accept it? Yes.

Do I think the Texans would accept it for the peanuts Watson would want them to give us for him? God I hope not. I dont want this to be the Bill OBrien 2.0 GM era.

Give us #2 overall non negotiable, maybe both firsts and future firsts... not cause I think it happens, but I want it to hurt them, to acquire him.

Then, we can move on happy as fans with some draft capital for a rebuild, the Jets get their guy and Watson can be happy paying more in taxes and likely still hover somewhere around 2-14 for the years to come.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Well hell... I hadn’t seen that.

I thought so. I wanted to simplify the conversation. If he’ll accept a trade to the Jets, I’m officially on the side of, “Why aren’t the Texans accepting offers.”

In my mind, that was the hold up.

That's an easy question to answer TK ....

Look at the leagues best QB's , they have been the same group of guys over time with a very slow turnover rate.

There's about 6-7 teams in the league who have a guy at QB that can get you there.

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Wilson
Mahomes

A couple of guys have fallen out of the above group - Roethlisberger / Ryan and were replaced by Mahomes / Wilson in recent history.

But look at how those teams have fared for the duration of those QB's careers with each respective team - Either you have a franchise QB or you don't.

If you have one .... You don't trade him or let him leave.

Caserio identifies Watson as one of those elite QB's and I don't blame him for doing all he can to avoid looking for another one.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Wilson
Mahomes

A couple of guys have fallen out of the above group - Roethlisberger / Ryan and were replaced by Mahomes / Wilson in recent history.
& then you have Stafford, Rivers, Dalton, Ryan, Carson, Luck, etc...

We were 4-12 last season with Watson. If there was a window I’d say it’s more closed than not. It may be premature, but it’s also an opportunity to start clean with a new coach & new GM... technically a new owner (Cal vs Bob).

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
If Watson plays hardball with the no-trade-clause, then the Texans play hard ball by making him sit the season out.
Watson may be able to throw a tantrum in an attempt to get traded, but he does not get the power to dictate what team he gets to play for.

Caserio to Watson: You either let us trade you team XXX, or you remain a Texan, on the field or on the bench, doesn't matter. It's your decision, take it or leave it.

Jack Burton

Veteran
If Watson plays hardball with the no-trade-clause, then the Texans play hard ball by making him sit the season out.
Watson may be able to throw a tantrum in an attempt to get traded, but he does not get the power to dictate what team he gets to play for.

Caserio to Watson: You either let us trade you team XXX, or you remain a Texan, on the field or on the bench, doesn't matter. It's your decision, take it or leave it.
Nailed it.
Caserio isn’t going to fall on his sword for this kid. Watson had no cards to play and he can’t even bluff his way through this hand.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
I said it earlier, and I’ll stand firm with limited inside information to stand on, but as this is my career field...

Mulugheta did (Contract Extension with NTC and guaranteed pay day for his client) and is (current stand-off) playing on the Texans apparent dysfunction to maximize his clients’ (multiple clients and potential clients are watching) position and his position.

If Watson was with an old guard agent, (Mahomes has Steinberg with Cabbott as the lead), this wouldn’t be happening. Mulugheta is making a play as the star agent of star quarterbacks to compete with the old guard. He already has Watson. He recently inked Fields.

I know this because my old firm did the same thing with our star player coming out of the Super Bowl demanding he be paid like an elite player at his position. He was eventually overpaid(I didn’t say that then), they regretted it, but potential future clients were intrigued by our boldness and that an agent would take the arrows publicly for the player.

The new wave of agents (which if I don’t go team side I will be one) cut their teeth watching the Rosenhaus’ and Boras’ of the world. If you don’t have a strong moral compass, or you don’t value long term connections and business relationships, this cutthroat mentality can accrue short wins, but the owners and the league always win the long game. There is a reason certain agents stay around for 30-40 years (my goal) and other’s flame out in 5-10 or less. Owner’s sentiment and if they feel like dealing with that agent’s shenanigans. Drew Rosenhaus doesn’t have the clout he did 15 years ago. Owner’s decided that. Players realized it eventually. Now he only gets headaches and problem clients. He makes his money, but with a cost he incurred from being an asshole for two decades.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
I said it earlier, and I’ll stand firm with limited inside information to stand on, but as this is my career field...

Mulugheta did (Contract Extension with NTC and guaranteed pay day for his client) and is (current stand-off) playing on the Texans apparent dysfunction to maximize his clients’ (multiple clients and potential clients are watching) position and his position.

If Watson was with an old guard agent, (Mahomes has Steinberg with Cabbott as the lead), this wouldn’t be happening. Mulugheta is making a play as the star agent of star quarterbacks to compete with the old guard. He already has Watson. He recently inked Fields.

I know this because my old firm did the same thing with our star player coming out of the Super Bowl demanding he be paid like an elite player at his position. He was eventually overpaid(I didn’t say that then), they regretted it, but potential future clients were intrigued by our boldness and that an agent would take the arrows publicly for the player.

The new wave of agents (which if I don’t go team side I will be one) cut their teeth watching the Rosenhaus’ and Boras’ of the world. If you don’t have a strong moral compass, or you don’t value long term connections and business relationships, this cutthroat mentality can accrue short wins, but the owners and the league always win the long game. There is a reason certain agents stay around for 30-40 years (my goal) and other’s flame out in 5-10 or less. Owner’s sentiment and if they feel like dealing with that agent’s shenanigans. Drew Rosenhaus doesn’t have the clout he did 15 years ago. Owner’s decided that. Players realized it eventually. Now he only gets headaches and problem clients. He makes his money, but with a cost he incurred from being an asshole for two decades.
And not sure if it’s against forum etiquette to self quote, but to bring this back to the post above mine...

Nailed it.
Caserio isn’t going to fall on his sword for this kid. Watson had no cards to play and he can’t even bluff his way through this hand.
NC is the first real GM we have had in years. I stand by my earlier comments that had this happened under BOb, Gaine, RS, Casserly, and whoever else seemed to wield power here, the Texans were in huge trouble. NC coming from New England (not a coach but their front office system), player’s dictate nothing. I think NC has called Mulugheta’s bluff. Jacksonville didn’t on Ramsey (his contract situation didn’t give them a reason to.)

Steph Stradley said the Texans are remaining calm (she’s been killing Houston lately) and letting it play out. That tells me NC is in no rush. Now you hear Watson’s camp is frustrated (agent, marketing agent, QB coach)...NC has shown that the Texans are ran by Cal McNair and NC. Like it or not.

Watson’s camp realizes the clown show is gone, and someone answered the bell on the power play. As a future front office exec or player agent, NC is playing this as perfectly as he possibly can with the water as muddy as it is. I salute him, whether he crashes and burns or not. He did not let outside sources dictate his move, or at least he hasn’t yet.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And not sure if it’s against forum etiquette to self quote, but to bring this back to the post above mine...

NC is the first real GM we have had in years. I stand by my earlier comments that had this happened under BOb, Gaine, RS, Casserly, and whoever else seemed to wield power here, the Texans were in huge trouble. NC coming from New England (not a coach but their front office system), player’s dictate nothing. I think NC has called Mulugheta’s bluff. Jacksonville didn’t on Ramsey (his contract situation didn’t give them a reason to.)

Steph Stradley said the Texans are remaining calm (she’s been killing Houston lately) and letting it play out. That tells me NC is in no rush. Now you hear Watson’s camp is frustrated (agent, marketing agent, QB coach)...NC has shown that the Texans are ran by Cal McNair and NC. Like it or not.

Watson’s camp realizes the clown show is gone, and someone answered the bell on the power play. As a future front office exec or player agent, NC is playing this as perfectly as he possibly can with the water as muddy as it is. I salute him, whether he crashes and burns or not. He did not let outside sources dictate his move, or at least he hasn’t yet.
It's way too early to declare anything.

Probably the simlest way to look at this is Cal still wants Watson to stay, based on his mumerous attempts to reach out to Watson.
He still wants to see if his GM and HC (and maybe others that we don't know about) can smooth things out with Watson.

Behind the scene, obviously, somebody still has to work all the trade possibilities and plan for any other scenario.

There doesn't have to be a bluff on Watson's side.
He can sit out indefinitely, which is really bad for the Texans and also bad for Watson (financially).
He can come back, go through the motion like Duane Brown, collect his money; still bad for the Texans.

The only good way for the Texans to settle this is a trade.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy

Probably the simlest way to look at this is Cal still wants Watson to stay, based on his mumerous attempts to reach out to Watson.
He still wants to see if his GM and HC (and maybe others that we don't know about) can smooth things out with Watson.

Behind the scene, obviously, somebody still has to work all the trade possibilities and plan for any other scenario.

He can sit out indefinitely, which is really bad for the Texans and also bad for Watson (financially).
He can come back, go through the motion like Duane Brown, collect his money; still bad for the Texans.

My opinion only, as I have stated, I do not trade away my franchise quarterback for anything. I stand firm and do everything I can to “amicably” make it work. But once I know that option is completely gone, then I move on to a trade to the team with the best offer. Does Deshaun have a no trade clause. Sure. Does he not want his future team to trade away everything, also I am sure, but he does not get to decide that. His NTC is a buffer, but not a hinderance because he either wants to play or he doesn’t, no matter the city. I think there may be 5 places he wouldn’t go, and those teams won’t have the goods anyway. With that said, the timeline is in the Texans’ control and NC’s control. Watson’s camp wanted this handled yesterday. NC isn’t budging until closer to the draft, if at all. That was answering the power play bell. Stills/Hopkins/Brown etc all made their moves happen fairly quickly and Watson or his camp assumed the same would be so here. That hasn’t come to fruition.

banned1976

sleeper mode

If it comes down to it, I'd rather Watson sit out a season, the Texans go 0-16 in 2021 and draft a QB #1 in the 2022 draft than the Texans cave in to Watson's demands. The demand for Watson won't disappear in one year. In fact, his trade stock may rise as the careers of some of the older quarterbacks (Brees, Rothlisberger and Brady) wind down.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
My opinion only, as I have stated, I do not trade away my franchise quarterback for anything. I stand firm and do everything I can to “amicably” make it work. But once I know that option is completely gone, then I move on to a trade to the team with the best offer. Does Deshaun have a no trade clause. Sure. Does he not want his future team to trade away everything, also I am sure, but he does not get to decide that. His NTC is a buffer, but not a hinderance because he either wants to play or he doesn’t, no matter the city. I think there may be 5 places he wouldn’t go, and those teams won’t have the goods anyway. With that said, the timeline is in the Texans’ control and NC’s control. Watson’s camp wanted this handled yesterday. NC isn’t budging until closer to the draft, if at all. That was answering the power play bell. Stills/Hopkins/Brown etc all made their moves happen fairly quickly and Watson or his camp assumed the same would be so here. That hasn’t come to fruition.
Duane Brown's situation took a long time to resolve.

I sincerely doubt that Watson expected a quick ending .

Otherwise, I agree with the things you said .

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If it comes down to it, I'd rather Watson sit out a season, the Texans go 0-16 in 2021 and draft a QB #1 in the 2022 draft than the Texans cave in to Watson's demands. The demand for Watson won't disappear in one year. In fact, his trade stock may rise as the careers of some of the older quarterbacks (Brees, Rothlisberger and Brady) wind down.
Watson doesn't have to sit out.
Like I had said in another thread.
He can come back (with the purpose to win some games on a poor team) and collect his pay just the same.
The Texans may end up with 3-7 wins, thus gaining a low first-round pick for 2022.
Watson will demand a trade again next year.
Rinse and repeat.
The longer the Texans wait, the worse it's going to get for them.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The demand for Watson won't disappear in one year. In fact, his trade stock may rise as the careers of some of the older quarterbacks (Brees, Rothlisberger and Brady) wind down.
And his stock won't or may not rise.
For example, right now the Jets and the Dolphins have some luxury.
Draft capital and cap space.
The Jets have more cap space, but they're a much worse team than the Dolphins.
But the Jets have Saleh, which could be a selling point to Watson.

Once those two teams are out of the picture, it's going to be harder to find a good offer.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Also, for the teams that want to win now, Watson's current low cap space would allow them to fill out their roster to compete right away; they can afford to give up the top draft picks this year and next (or more picks in the top 3 than usual).

If Watson stays and plays one more year; the financial situation will change and make it less enticing for several other teams.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't know why you keep saying this.

Its not Watson's decision.

He has three options:

1) play for the Texans
2)play for the team the Texans trade him to
3) Don't play at all.

Screw selling Watson on a trade.
And you know no. 2 how?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't know why you keep saying this.

Its not Watson's decision.

He has three options:

1) play for the Texans
2)play for the team the Texans trade him to
3) Don't play at all.

Screw selling Watson on a trade.
No. 1 = Bad for the Texans with an unhappy QB
No. 2 = You don't know that; right now, the NTC says that you're BS
No. 3 = Bad for both sides

Now, who gets the leverage?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson doesn't have to sit out.
Like I had said in another thread.
He can come back (with the purpose to win some games on a poor team) and collect his pay just the same.
The Texans may end up with 3-7 wins, thus gaining a low first-round pick for 2022.
Watson will demand a trade again next year.
Rinse and repeat.
The longer the Texans wait, the worse it's going to get for them.
Not if they suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. This team isn't going to win 3 of the last 6 games of the yr if they dont suspend him and he comes back. Get real

Texansballer74

The Marine

This is the reason why Watson camps is talking about missing the entire season. They think Caserio will fold. I surely hope he stands firm and doesn’t adhere to their silly antics.

At this junction, how would you handle this situation? Would you recommend your client to play at least two seasons under that contract?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
This is the reason why Watson camps is talking about missing the entire season. They think Caserio will fold. I surely hope he stands firm and doesn’t adhere to their silly antics.

At this junction, how would you handle this situation? Would you recommend your client to play at least two seasons under that contract?
See Watson come to his senses and fire his agent. His agent is filling his head with self-serving advice that could wind up biting Watson in the arse in the long run. Get a smart agent who can come up with a plan on how to mend fences with the Texans and its fans. Then come to camp ready to play his arse off.

If none of this is possible.....then Caserio needs to make the move when he deems it most profitable for the Texans to go ahead and trade Watson.

Texansballer74

The Marine
See Watson come to his senses and fire his agent. His agent is filling his head with self-serving advice that could wind up biting Watson in the arse in the long run. Get a smart agent who can come up with a plan on how to mend fences with the Texans and its fans. Then come to camp ready to play his arse off.

If none of this is possible.....then Caserio needs to make the move when he deems it most profitable for the Texans to go ahead and trade Watson.
m

I agree but don’t rush into with a hasty decision that will not benefit the Texans to the fullest.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Unless we get an outrageous haul, like four 1s and two or three 2s, then let his ass sit at home and not get paid. **** Watson.
Yep. Who cares what the diva wants at this point. He's already made his demand.

I'm all about the Houston Texans doing what is best for the Houston Texans at this point.

They paid the man, and now he's acting like a little *****. Dude is a badass on the field. Off it? 'eh, not so much. . .

lol

The Texans have 99% of the leverage. All Watson has for an option is pouting at this point. That ain't much leverage when the franchise OWNS his career for the next 7 seasons.

You can call the tail a leg and have a 5-legged dog in your mind, but in the end, it's still just a 4-legged dog with a tail. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so. Same token, saying Watson has the leverage doesn't make it so. That contract he signed and cried about a few months ago is the legal binder that controls his NFL career.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yep. Who cares what the diva wants at this point. He's already made his demand.

I'm all about the Houston Texans doing what is best for the Houston Texans at this point.

They paid the man, and now he's acting like a little *****. Dude is a badass on the field. Off it? 'eh, not so much. . .

lol

The Texans have 99% of the leverage. All Watson has for an option is pouting at this point. That ain't much leverage when the franchise OWNS his career for the next 7 seasons.

You can call the tail a leg and have a 5-legged dog in your mind, but in the end, it's still just a 4-legged dog with a tail. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so. Same token, saying Watson has the leverage doesn't make it so. That contract he signed and cried about a few months ago is the legal binder that controls his NFL career.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

No way his agent does this at this point. He's in it up to his neck, no turning back now. He'll look like an absolute failure.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I don't think this is entirely impossible. If Watson's eyes can be opened to the damage his agent is causing, fences can still be mended.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Trading Watson is already bad for the Texans .... and it can not get any worse than a top 5-8 QB walking out the door.

When you understand that FACT .... bad for both sides doesn't matter to you. Your only objective is to get as much as you possibly can in return.

You tell him You want out there's only One way that's happening - Waive the NTC otherwise you can go sack groceries.

Obviously the Texans .... they don't have to trade Watson and they can suspend him preventing accruement of a season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Trading Watson is already bad for the Texans .... and it can not get any worse than a top 5-8 QB walking out the door.

When you understand that FACT .... bad for both sides doesn't matter to you. Your only objective is to get as much as you possibly can in return.

You tell him You want out there's only One way that's happening - Waive the NTC otherwise you can go sack groceries.

Obviously the Texans .... they don't have to trade Watson and they can suspend him preventing accruement of a season.
There you go, making assumption again.