Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

• Total voters
I vote "No". 1) He has novice pocket awareness. 2) He's afraid to take a hit (i.e. that straining face he ALWAYS makes when being tackled). 3) He refuses to audible, or maybe he struggles to read a defense (which i doubt because he is a smart guy). 4) He's more vanilla than Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream. 5) He does not go through his progressions. 6) Cannot throw to the sidelines, backside, or fade. 7) Below average velocity on balls thrown.

Whew, I feel better! But, it does not matter.. Like it or not, we are stuck with him for 2 more seasons, and Kubiak for at least one. Maybe the light will proverbially "turn on" this Saturday?

How is it the Colts get one superstar QB and lose him after countless years of awesome game play, just to replace him a short time later with a young superstar QB........and the Texans go from a sh$tty QB to a not quite as sh$tty QB?
Can we get a damn QB here in Houston?

How is it the Colts get one superstar QB and lose him after countless years of awesome game play, just to replace him a short time later with a young superstar QB........and the Texans go from a sh$tty QB to a not quite as sh$tty QB?

Good fortune and not being afraid to step out on a Limb.

Colts could have kept manning and passed on luck. They could have shown loyalty to Peyton. If they'd have brought him back they'd still be good. But they wouldn't have the young stud.

On the other hand, we didn't even give a second thought to picking up Peyton this off season.

How sweet would it have been to sweep the division and win in Indy for the first time with Manning. Getting manning would have been like the reverse curse. Luck probably would have been a bust, we'd have the number 1 seed, cushing would be healthy, barwin would have more sacks and we'd be the favorite heading into the play offs this year. LOL...

But seriously...we didn't even entertain the idea of picking up Peyton friggin manning. Because we had schaub.

Big risk big reward.

But if there was ever a time to take a big risk, it was last off season when you could have gone after Peyton fukin manning.

What for. This is schaub's plane wreck. He needs to captain this vessel all the way to the mountain side. No reason to put that on Yates.

Perfectly put. Rep coming your way.

This is not the time for T.J. Yates. It's either Schaub's time to step up or as you said fly straight into a mountain.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself Houston.
If we traded Schaub at the end of another one and done season, what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick. And he wouldn't start for anybody,just another backup QB.
Me? I would trade him to KC for Eric Winston straight up, deal as best as possible with Yates and try to get Alex Smith.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

But still, as sour as I am on schaub, he deserves (yes deserves) the chance to qb this team and prove himself in the play offs.

If he plays poorly like I hope he doesn't, then I believe we can't go into next season with schaub at qb. I would bring in Alex Smith if the deal was good enough. I'd then draft a qb within the first or second round. And then I'd start with Yates, Alex smith behind him, rookie qb, then Keenum.

And then I'd have it be an open competition with all spots up for grabs.

But I wouldn't trade schaub for winston. I think he's being overrated Now because of how bad our right side has been.

But if schaub doesn't work here kc makes sense for him.

A lot of luck, no pun intended. It just so happen Peyton gets injured and lost for the season right before the best QB prospect in decades enters the draft.

A lot of luck, no pun intended. It just so happen Peyton gets injured and lost for the season right before the best QB prospect in decades enters the draft.

we can get a good qb without having a #1 overall pick. Kaepernick went in round 2, and russell wilson round 3.

MS is weak, scared, and pathetic. He canNOT hit a receiver in stride in long yardage passes. He either overthrows or underthrows forcing the receiver to dive, double-back, or he gift-wraps a pick to the defender. He has a weak arm, he is not mobile, goes down at the slightest amount of contact. He is frustrating AJ and others --you can see it in their body language after MS craps a pass to them.

He is not a leader and I fear that my 5 yr old daughter could do better.

Anyone but MS.

Having said that, I welcome him to prove me wrong.

Get out of my head!!!!

we can get a good qb without having a #1 overall pick. Kaepernick went in round 2, and russell wilson round 3.

True, we can get a decent QB anywhere in the draft. The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good.

Also, in your original post, you asked how did the Colts go from superstar to another superstar. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential.

No chance of improving the QB situation in the near future unless Yates or Keenum really steps up. I think Keenum could really excel in this offense. I just hope Kubiak has the balls to make a decision like Pete Caroll made with Wilson, after having paid Flynn the money. I don't see it, considering Kubiak's decision on Carr in '06. That cost McNair a cool $8 mil.

True, we can get a decent QB anywhere in the draft. The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good.

Also, in your original post, you asked how did the Colts go from superstar to another superstar. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential.

1) It was not my original post.

2) Kaepernick & especially russell wilson are ALREADY miles ahead of anywhere Schaub will ever be. TBH, your statement: "The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential." just absolutely reeks of ignorance. I suggest you watch Russell Wilson.. He is the real-deal-mccoy. In fact, he should be co-rookie of the year along side RGIII. Good QB's can be had in round 2 & 3... but it's up to Smithiak to pull the trigger. There is a new wave of QB's flooding the league, we can either put our heads in the sand and ignore it, or jump on the train before the rest of the teams do.

1) It was not my original post.

2) Kaepernick & especially russell wilson are ALREADY miles ahead of anywhere Schaub will ever be. TBH, your statement: "The odds of that QB being better than Schaub is not very good. I don't think Kaep or Wilson have superstar potential." just absolutely reeks of ignorance. I suggest you watch Russell Wilson.. He is the real-deal-mccoy. In fact, he should be co-rookie of the year along side RGIII. Good QB's can be had in round 2 & 3... but it's up to Smithiak to pull the trigger. There is a new wave of QB's flooding the league, we can either put our heads in the sand and ignore it, or jump on the train before the rest of the teams do.

Maybe our standards of what a "superstar" is, is a bit different. Superstar QBs to me, are Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady... those guys. I think Luck has the potential to eventually be there too.

I do watch a lot of Kaep and Wilson, and I like them both, but I don't see superstar potential. If you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't mind Smith drafting a QB next year, in hopes to challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. I'm just saying the odds of getting someone (where we will be picking) probably won't be better than Schaub, but I'm all for taking a shot.

Maybe our standards of what a "superstar" is, is a bit different. Superstar QBs to me, are Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady... those guys. I think Luck has the potential to eventually be there too.

I do watch a lot of Kaep and Wilson, and I like them both, but I don't see superstar potential. If you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't mind Smith drafting a QB next year, in hopes to challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. I'm just saying the odds of getting someone (where we will be picking) probably won't be better than Schaub, but I'm all for taking a shot.

two words... tajh boyd. let him sit and watch next season, and after that take over and send schaub to the pine for the last yr of his guaranteed money. make it happen rick. :fingergun:

No, there's definite "superstar" potential there. However, there's no guarantee that they'll be superstars.

Look at Cam Newton. Take away the running game, take away the defense, make those guys beat you. However, Seattle & SanFran (& Washington) have good to great defenses, good to great running games. If the coaches can keep it up, that will give those guys time to mature & be great... ala Tom Brady (not that they'll be like Tom Brady, but Tom Brady had a great defense & decent running game to lean on before he "became" Tom Brady).

I hate reading this. Keenum was a spread QB in college and will amount to jack and **** in the pro's.

Yes, because the alternative is a guy who can't get past the line of scrimmage and routinely throws the ball at the feet of his receivers.

Let's go ahead and just settle for a known failure rather than risking a failure of a different type.

Wouldn't you like to see at least some ATHLETICISM out there? I do.

Good fortune and not being afraid to step out on a Limb.

Colts could have kept manning and passed on luck. They could have shown loyalty to Peyton. If they'd have brought him back they'd still be good. But they wouldn't have the young stud.

On the other hand, we didn't even give a second thought to picking up Peyton this off season.

How sweet would it have been to sweep the division and win in Indy for the first time with Manning. Getting manning would have been like the reverse curse. Luck probably would have been a bust, we'd have the number 1 seed, cushing would be healthy, barwin would have more sacks and we'd be the favorite heading into the play offs this year. LOL...

But seriously...we didn't even entertain the idea of picking up Peyton friggin manning. Because we had schaub.

Big risk big reward.

But if there was ever a time to take a big risk, it was last off season when you could have gone after Peyton fukin manning.

How could Matt Schaub have a Q score of 7? The average NFL player who makes the list has a score of 15. Peyton Manning's is 32. Now, it should be noted that the study, conducted by Marketing Evaluations, Inc., was done before the season. It should also be noted that only 56 percent of sports fans from this same study even recognize Schaub.

But Schaub doesn't worry about these things. He doesn't seem fazed by much of anything. There was the time last spring when a number of teams were courting Manning, and Texans coach Gary Kubiak texted his quarterback and asked him to pick up the future Hall of Fame quarterback at the airport. Kubiak was kidding, but that's not exactly the type of thing you joke about via text. Manning was causing insecurity complexes all over the league last spring.

Schaub said he simply laughed and texted, "I'll send him back to Terminal C."

Manning doesn't fit the system!! lulz

Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.

Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.

I don't know if it will take a few more seasons. People were making fun of Schaub after his baby faces he made during the Packers game. The fact that there are so many young QBs coming into the league now and having success, I think there will be a quicker backlash than when Carr was here. I still get shivers when I think of Yates scrambling for that first down in Cincy. People know Schaub does not have something like that in him. If it isn't there and the receiver isn't open, the play is over with that guy. It sucks.

I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.

I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.

Pffft! Dude would still find a way to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or fire a missle towards the cheerleaders or cameramen

I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.

Warren Moon had beautiful stats, too. :fingergun:

We're stuck with him either way, so we're stuck like chuck

yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.

Warren Moon had beautiful stats, too. :fingergun:

yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.

Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.

No, I don't have faith in Schaub anymore. But the reality is harsh.

Reality: Schaub is statistically better than 2/3 of the league's QBs.

Reality: Schaub performs best when his OL is working well and the running game is successful.

Reality: Schaub cannot perform well under pressure and if the OL isn't working and the running game isn't successful, he can't put the team on his back and win.

Reality: 2/3 of teams would love to have him under center.

Reality: Those 2/3 of teams would soon come to realize that he's not a winner when things start getting tough.

Reality: Elite QBs don't fall off a QB tree.

Reality: We're stuck with Matty Nice for as long as we're stuck with Kubiak.

Reality: McNair won't get rid of Kubiak for a long time.

Reality: The "Fire Kubiak" thread will grow to 6,930,902 pages long by the time all is said and done.

I said this in the gameday thread last week and I'll say it again...I defended HWNSNBM almost all the way up to the end and I don't want to look like an idiot again plus my giving a pass to an expansion franchise expired years ago so I'm a lot more quick on the trigger.

That said, I've got razor thin confidence in Schaub right now. I'll let the playoffs decide for me but this is probably it for me if he continues to $hit his panties.

Either way, as pointed out, we are stuck with him anyway. BTW, not sure if anyone realizes, that extension contract BEGINS next year lol! Nice :fingergun:

Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.

Back on Sunday that's what I said too.

We're stuck with Matt for 2013 and 2014. Period.

Only in 2015 will we see a potential change. I guess another injury to Schaub might alter that timeframe a bit, though (and no, for you flame war starters out there I don't want him hurt for the sake of a change).

How miserable is THAT? 2015. Two Thousand Fifteen. FIFTEEN.

Will I even be around to care by then? :fishing:

I think Gary will go down swinging, go down with his ship, with Matt Schaub at the wheel.

100%.

Both of them will get their walking papers in a few years.

Andre Johnson will be retired by then, IMO. Or he'll move on and play elsewhere.

The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.

I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.

I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.

A perfect example is Peyton Manning. No matter what Manning has, he'll somehow find a way to make it work. I think he can lose his right arm, but he'll still find a way to lead his offense to a TD.

The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.

You know, I've been thinking this as far back as '08 when used to have those Is Schaub fragile/injury prone or not "discussions". That was the one positive about Carr, he was a lot more durable than Schaub. Had a stronger arm too. IF he had just had Schaub's football IQ and a better work ethic.

For the record, I voted "no".
Pained me to do so because I've been a Schaub defender since he got here. Mainly because I was glad to see the other guy leave and I liked the study ethic Schaub brought to the table.

Also, for the record, I don't think Schaub is horrible as some of you have said. I just think he's "pretty good". Has good days and bad days. As long as we stay with Schaub, we'll have a shot at being a playoff team, but everything else has to go well too. He's not strong enough to hide a significant number of other "warts". By way of example, I point to 2010. A stellar/elite QB could have gotten us a better record than 6-10 even with that sucky defense (Brady and Rodgers did it). Schaub can be good, but not stellar or elite. He reminds me of Flacco with a less opportunistic defense.

I fear he's reached his upper performance limit. We either upgrade him or draft an All-World O-line. Maybe work on both.

Back