Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

• Total voters
6 of the 12 playoff teams this year have either rookies or second year QBs starting for them.

Food for thought... :thinking:

I voted yes, but, with reservations.

I believe our problem is with Kubiak and Dennison. How do we know MS is not as frustrated with the play calling as the rest of the team, as well as most of the fans?? I don't know if Kubiak gives him a chance to call plays or not, or if he's going completely on what Kubiak calls from the sideline. IF Kubiak can't let him loose, trust him to make the right call, then we need to find someone he does trust, and if MS doesn't have the guts to override Kubes when he knows a play won't work, then that's on him and he needs to grow some "junk!". I know I see MS walking over to the sideline a lot, and looking to Kubes for direction. I'm just not sure he's ever had the chance to do his own THANG without having Kubiak or Dennison breathing down his neck! He should be calling all the shots, like PM and Brady, by now. He's been around long enough.

Our biggest problem is Kubiak.Coward coach who does not enjoy the good players that have.Schaub is a good player and will surprise many people in these playoffs.God willing.

There are flaws on a lot of levels. This team is just not performing at the level it needs to. Schaub is definitely better than most of the QBs out there, but he's not Brady, Manning, or Brees.

Fine. I don't expect us to win when the entire team lays an egg. The defense has given up big plays, the offensive line has not been stellar, our receivers save for AJ have had terrible games. Schaub doesn't play special teams.

I expect Schaub to do a few things: protect the ball (pretty good), coordinate the offense (average), and make throws (inconsistent). I don't expect him to win when the rest of the team is playing terrible, and that's fine with me. I can only expect that of the aforementioned list of players.

I have faith that little green martians dressed like elvis will bungee jump out of the ceiling tiles and hand me golden apple seeds before schaub takes us to the superbowl.

I'm not about to judge somebody's manhood just because they are not a top 5 NFL QB, nor will I call him pathetic over it. By that standard we are all pathetic, including anyone who says it.

Having said that, I'm ready to vote no. He's a middle of the pack QB, when it's all said and done, and I don't think it's a good move to just stick with that and be happy. Not in this league. The underthrows on long passes and a few other things are just getting too old and looking unfixable. I don't think his "leadership " skills would be in question by so many if he made more of those throws, but whatever.

I like the idea of drafting high on O-line and waiting for the right QB to draft in a few years.

yes

Matt Schaub holds almost every passing record (of the good kind) in Texan franchise history. Someone else must have liked him too because he still has another three years left on a contract he signed this past off season to the tune of $24.75 million guaranteed, $62 million overall.

I'll believe oj simpson is innocent before I believe schaub can lead us to a superbowl.

I'll believe with the help of LBJ, Kennedy faked his own assassination so he could live out his dream of being a potatoe farmer in Idaho before I believe Schaub can lead us to the superbowl.

I'll believe jerry jones and janis joplin conceived a baby named emmit before I believe schaub can lead us to the superbowl.

As a former Matt Schlub* supporter, defender, apologist, I have to say no. He has lost me.

There was a stretch during the last game when I thought #8 looked like a real a QB. On the next play someone got close and looked for a safe place to lie down.

schlub /SHləb/ Noun
A talentless, unattractive, or boorish person.

I'm not about to judge somebody's manhood just because they are not a top 5 NFL QB, nor will I call him pathetic over it. By that standard we are all pathetic, including anyone who says it.

Having said that, I'm ready to vote no. He's a middle of the pack QB, when it's all said and done, and I don't think it's a good move to just stick with that and be happy. Not in this league. The underthrows on long passes and a few other things are just getting too old and looking unfixable. I don't think his "leadership " skills would be in question by so many if he made more of those throws, but whatever.

I like the idea of drafting high on O-line and waiting for the right QB to draft in a few years.

And there goes Andre's career. Sucks we could never get him a competent QB. There have been many opportunities, but Schaub was just enough for this franchise. Real sad.

I trust him over Andy Dalton & TJ, too, but I don't see how that's sayin' much. TJ needs to learn in a full regular season before just stick him in for the playoffs. He might become better than Schaub, but he's definitely not there yet.

And there goes Andre's career. Sucks we could never get him a competent QB. There have been many opportunities, but Schaub was just enough for this franchise. Real sad.

I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.

I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.

Preach it Cak, but, these naysayers AIN'T gonna listen!! One day stats mean everything to them, the next day it's all out the window if it doesn't fix their train of thought! This board gets real comical this time of year.

Florio has not exactly been Texans friendly. However, I find very little to fault in this recent piece.

Somehow, the Texans will have to try to win one or more playoff games with Schaub as their quarterback.

I write these words knowing full well that I’ll now be accused of “hating” the Texans, Matt Schaub, and/or his dog. But even his dog would admit that there are more than a few better quarterbacks in the NFL.

As previously pointed out, Schaub has not shown up this year in high-profile games. More recently, in eight quarters of action on which the No. 1 seed in the AFC was riding, Schaub threw a grand total of zero touchdown passes. His passer rating against the Vikings in Week 16 was a measly 72.1, which actually looks good in comparison to the 66.3 generated against the Colts in Week 17.

After starting 11-1, the Texans have now lost three of four. And now come the overachieving Bengals, who have won seven of eight games and who have a defense that will make it even harder for Schaub in his career debut as a postseason starter.

That’s right, Schaub has no playoff experience on which to draw as he prepares to face Cincinnati, whose second-year quarterback played in a playoff game last year on Schaub’s home field.

Though I’ll likely pick the Texans to win the game, it won’t happen because of Schaub, but in spite of him. And if I pick the Texans to hold serve at home, there’s no way they’ll be the selection when they return to New England.
link

Yes or no, simple question.

As a follow up, when did you lose that "faith" ?

I'm just trying to get a feel here. I don't believe the attitude towards Matt is as bad as what is being represented today. But I don't know if a lot of people recently changed their mind, or if all his supporters just don't feel like participating today.

I'll tell you where I'm at. I think Matt is capable. He's shown us, imo, that he can play at the level required to take us where we want to go. I've been puzzled as to why we haven't seen him play at that level recently.

That's the short story. If you want to get into my reasoning I'll be happy to share.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself Houston.
If we traded Schaub at the end of another one and done season, what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick. And he wouldn't start for anybody,just another backup QB.
Me? I would trade him to KC for Eric Winston straight up, deal as best as possible with Yates and try to get Alex Smith.

Thoughts?

Here's the question you have to ask yourself Houston.
If we traded Schaub at the end of another one and done season, what would we get?
Probably a third or fourth round pick. And he wouldn't start for anybody,just another backup QB.
Me? I would trade him to KC for Eric Winston straight up, deal as best as possible with Yates and try to get Alex Smith.

Thoughts?

Nah, roll with Yates..see what you really have there. Use that extra 3rd or 4th in a package deal to move up in the draft and get a young prototype guy to develop...worst case scenario is neither can play and it gets Kubiak fired and we start from scratch with a new coach.

What happened to the matt Schaub from the Denver game? That guy I can believe in.

What happened to the team from the 1st half of the season? I don't have faith in any aspect of the team right now. I am looking for something to believe in but JJ Watt can't do this alone.

I think multiple years of these players having no-nuts Matt Schaub trot dutifully into the huddle, knowing the play call from Kubiak is going to be probably a very uninspiring play call, has worn on the offense's players.

The OL is uninspired. WRs, too. Probably even OD and the RBs too.

The QB can't rally them any longer.

And they know they can't do anything about it. They know they are stuck with a competent system that defenses are figuring out more and more as each week passes. And Kubiak's response is to obviously dumb it down even more for his "kids," but he doesn't know that the kids are men. Men with ideas and aspirations that have nothing to do with 3rd and long draw or screen (take your pick, it's the same play).

I think even the guys on offense feel bad for their teammates who are on defense. Like they know the defense is getting shafted routinely.

Kubiak is losing this team. He lost it in the Pats game, the wins vs Titans and Colts gained it back a little, and then losses to the Vikings and Colts, IMO, has placed this team in a playoff game situation where who the hell knows if the guys will rally for Kubiak or not.

The dynamic between the HC and his O-Coord is something I wish I knew more about. Like, I want to know if there are times in a season where Kubiak is taking over those duties or how that all works between those two. It SEEMS that with Kubiak's on-the-record statements about how he can change any play Dennison calls...it would be very easy for Kubiak to be sticking his finger in the pie more than he ought to. That's just me, though. I can see the urge for him to tinker with play calls more than he should.

Is the team uninspired because they know when a call comes in that it's a Gary Kubiak call...instead of a Dennison call? Is there division in the ranks? Often times when you have this level of meltdown, there's stuff going on that isn't be vocalized. And we all know how secretive the Texans are about this sort of thing. The Jets, on the other hand, they got a ton of players who talk openly to the media about all internal problems. Polar opposite cultures that, IMO, are harmful in their own unique ways.

I don't care about the stats. I'm talking about success in the playoffs. This whole thread is about having faith in Matt Schaub right? I have little faith that he will help AJ get to the big game and lead the Texans to a SB ring.

I'm watching two college QBs, Martinez for Nebraska and Murray for Georgia....watching both of them make plays with their arm AND with their feet when needed.

Both those guys look better than what we've got right now.

Schaub has to change his "right now" or else we're screwed for two more years.

Stats or not, Schaub's "right now" looks inferior to college QBs.

I'm watching two college QBs, Martinez for Nebraska and Murray for Georgia....watching both of them make plays with their arm AND with their feet when needed.

Both those guys look better than what we've got right now.

Schaub has to change his "right now" or else we're screwed for two more years.

Stats or not, Schaub's "right now" looks inferior to college QBs.

Against College competition and college defense.

Schaub would tear those defenses apart.

Every player in the NFL was a great college player. I mean Arian Foster went undrafted...

I am actually surprised that many people have confidence in Matt Schaub, especially considering his play as of late.

Against College competition and college defense.

Schaub would tear those defenses apart.

Every player in the NFL was a great college player. I mean Arian Foster went undrafted...

Christian Ponder had a field day against us.

A QB who has confidence can beat anybody anywhere. Our QB has lost confidence in himself.

I'd rather watch Yates or Keenum at this point. It's nice and polite and "wise" to say we should roll with Schaub, but honestly it's no longer entertaining.

This is supposed to be fun, entertaining, but with Schaub it's like watching a train wreck and being unable to do anything but watch helplessly as the carnage GROWS.

I want to be entertained. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the death of something.

Dude, uncle rico has a better arm then schaub; he can throw a football all the way over them mountains.

if only he got to play the 4th quarter....

unclerico.JPG

Dude, uncle rico has a better arm then schaub; he can throw a football all the way over them mountains.

I can also hit Andre Johnson in the face with a ribeye while he's riding a bike pumping Matt Schaub.

Put me In Coach!!

Christian Ponder had a field day against us.

A QB who has confidence can beat anybody anywhere. Our QB has lost confidence in himself.

I'd rather watch Yates or Keenum at this point. It's nice and polite and "wise" to say we should roll with Schaub, but honestly it's no longer entertaining.

This is supposed to be fun, entertaining, but with Schaub it's like watching a train wreck and being unable to do anything but watch helplessly as the carnage GROWS.

I want to be entertained. I don't want to feel like I'm watching the death of something.

Keenum, would like to see what he can do in this system...He can also use his feet

I'm going to watch Napoleon Dynamite now.

Not only can he throw the ball a mile...he's way more mobile then schaub. You saw how he was running around that camper right?

Plus, if we signed him you know he'd cut the fans a great deal on Tupperware.

yes

Matt Schaub holds almost every passing record (of the good kind) in Texan franchise history. Someone else must have liked him too because he still has another three years left on a contract he signed this past off season to the tune of $24.75 million guaranteed, $62 million overall.

eeeeeeeeek!!! At least Double J was smart enough to wait until the end of this season to extend Romo :( :wadepalm:

Back