Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Diggs to Houston

Seems pretty spot on to me but how he slipped through the cracks is beyond me?

Fluid, flexible athlete. Five-star recruit who stayed home to help build local program. Instinctive route runner. Does an outstanding job of sinking his hips and exploding out of breaks to create immediate separation. Natural ball-plucker. Excellent body control to adjust to throws, whether they're low, high or behind him. Can make contested catches.

Don’t feel sorry for Bills they only spent a 5th rounder for him & got a ton of production, helped Josh Allen become a franchise QB & 2nd round pick, I’d say that’s excellent return.

:logo:
Character issues were in question after his shoving a ref in the face prior to a Nov 2014 for which he was suspended for 1 game...........the season prior to his Draft.

But besides that, there were significant durability concerns.......He had a pretty scrawny build........after battling several injuries his last two seasons, including a broken right leg (Oct. 2013) that sidelined him for the final six games of 2013 and a lacerated kidney (Nov. 2014) that ended his junior regular season. He was very aware of his inadequate build and his vulnerability to injury...........anyone that ever watched him in college knows that he was never shy about shying away from blocking and avoiding contact in general.

His only real productive season was his freshman season.

Yes, despite his success in the NFL, his Draft "profile" was undoubtedly suspect.

It took him a few years to blow up in Buffalo with all the dumb stuff that Josh Allen was doing. We shouldn't have any of that here from our star QB so i think we'll be ok for this year. But barring injury, we know Diggs will perform. So the only scenario i see NC and the Texans entertain keeping him beyond 1 year is if Nico pee's down his leg this year & doesn't perform or gets injured. Even then they still might opt to franchise Nico to keep him around, draft another WR & still let Diggs walk b/c of the money he will likely command & him being on the wrong side of 30. For that reason, i just don't see Diggs being here long enough to be a locker room distraction.

Character issues were in question after his shoving a ref in the face prior to a Nov 2014 for which he was suspended for 1 game...........the season prior to his Draft.

But besides that, there were significant durability concerns.......He had a pretty scrawny build........after battling several injuries his last two seasons, including a broken right leg (Oct. 2013) that sidelined him for the final six games of 2013 and a lacerated kidney (Nov. 2014) that ended his junior regular season. He was very aware of his inadequate build and his vulnerability to injury...........anyone that ever watched him in college knows that he was never shy about shying away from blocking and avoiding contact in general.

His only real productive season was his freshman season.

Yes, despite his success in the NFL, his Draft "profile" was undoubtedly suspect.
Excellent background check! So expanding on these injury’s and how it lowered his draft stock, the Vikings taking risk on him really paid off. As a doctor, how would handle these situations advising a team, let’s say the Texans, use this angle, not go crazy risky, but maybe one player in every draft who when is 100% would have been a first or second?

Excellent background check! So expanding on these injury’s and how it lowered his draft stock, the Vikings taking risk on him really paid off. As a doctor, how would handle these situations advising a team, let’s say the Texans, use this angle, not go crazy risky, but maybe one player in every draft who when is 100% would have been a first or second?
I'm not really sure I understand the context of your question. Could you clarify?

Speaking in general terms as evaluator with team including medical. Processing war room & stacking board.
Trying to do this in general terms without a springboard example is very difficult because there can be so many variables..........college performance, college competition,character, number of injuries, type of injuries and their risk of potential long-term effects on performance and longevity.........and, of course, team's need for the player's position.

So that you can at least get an idea how I might approach final conclusions, I will begin with Diggs.

Diggs did not come from a high-power team with high-power QBs (U of Maryland). He had limited exposure in college due to injuries (~<2 )years. In his 1st 2 years, competition he faced in the ACC was questionable. His most productive year was his freshman year. The only real competition he faced was after U of Maryland joined the Big 10 in his 3rd year.

There were significant durability concerns with his slight build.......something that was borne out in his last 2 seasons......He had a pretty scrawny build........after battling several injuries his last two seasons.........a broken right leg (Oct. 2013) that sidelined him for the final six games of 2013 and a lacerated kidney (Nov. 2014) that ended his junior regular season. As I wrote before, "he was very aware of his inadequate build and his vulnerability to injury...........anyone that ever watched him in college knows that he was never shy about shying away from blocking and avoiding contact in general."

Looking at the type of injuries he sustained, neither were of those kind that would be expected to have long-term effects. The leg fracture which was really never identified by the team was actually the same that Tank Dell suffered last season.........a distal fibula fracture, which also required surgery. The kidney laceration would not expose him to further damage once it would be totally healed.........something that was shown to be true when he returned without incident for a Bowl game 2 months following his laceration.

Shoving an official in the face prior to Nov Penn State game (the game that he lacerated his kidney) definitely demonstrated immaturity..........something that I heard about in other contexts besides this incident.

So how would I evaluate him for the Draft (before the Draft)?

He certainly was not a 1st or 2nd round talent.

The type of injury history he had would not have bothered me. But the build/durability factor would have made me think more than once about taking him in the 3rd.

The immaturity factor in addition to his limited experience/productionwould have taken him out of the 3rd and at least into the 4th.

The Vikings took him in the 5th........and they were quite desparate for a WR. Their only real WR on the roster of any note was Michael Wallace an aging 29 year old for which they already traded for from the Dolphins (prior to the Draft) for a 5th round pick.........the pick they used on Diggs. Wallace had a terrible 2015 and was released shortly thereafter.

So there it is..........an inside look into how this particular doctor/fan would have advised my team.

He also had consecutive 1000-yard seasons and 15 TDs with the Vikings. A case can be made that he was an elite WR before joining the Bills.
Which is why the Bills gave so much to acquire him. But there's also a reason the Vikings wanted to trade Diggs.

Trying to do this in general terms without a springboard example is very difficult because there can be so many variables..........college performance, college competition,character, number of injuries, type of injuries and their risk of potential long-term effects on performance and longevity.........and, of course, team's need for the player's position.

So that you can at least get an idea how I might approach final conclusions, I will begin with Diggs.

Diggs did not come from a high-power team with high-power QBs (U of Maryland). He had limited exposure in college due to injuries (~<2 )years. In his 1st 2 years, competition he faced in the ACC was questionable. His most productive year was his freshman year. The only real competition he faced was after U of Maryland joined the Big 10 in his 3rd year.

There were significant durability concerns with his slight build.......something that was borne out in his last 2 seasons......He had a pretty scrawny build........after battling several injuries his last two seasons.........a broken right leg (Oct. 2013) that sidelined him for the final six games of 2013 and a lacerated kidney (Nov. 2014) that ended his junior regular season. As I wrote before, "he was very aware of his inadequate build and his vulnerability to injury...........anyone that ever watched him in college knows that he was never shy about shying away from blocking and avoiding contact in general."

Looking at the type of injuries he sustained, neither were of those kind that would be expected to have long-term effects. The leg fracture which was really never identified by the team was actually the same that Tank Dell suffered last season.........a distal fibula fracture, which also required surgery. The kidney laceration would not expose him to further damage once it would be totally healed.........something that was shown to be true when he returned without incident for a Bowl game 2 months following his laceration.

Shoving an official in the face prior to Nov Penn State game (the game that he lacerated his kidney) definitely demonstrated immaturity..........something that I heard about in other contexts besides this incident.

So how would I evaluate him for the Draft (before the Draft)?

He certainly was not a 1st or 2nd round talent.

The type of injury history he had would not have bothered me. But the build/durability factor would have made me think more than once about taking him in the 3rd.

The immaturity factor in addition to his limited experience/productionwould have taken him out of the 3rd and at least into the 4th.

The Vikings took him in the 5th........and they were quite desparate for a WR. Their only real WR on the roster of any note was Michael Wallace an aging 29 year old for which they already traded for from the Dolphins (prior to the Draft) for a 5th round pick.........the pick they used on Diggs. Wallace had a terrible 2015 and was released shortly thereafter.

So there it is..........an inside look into how this particular doctor/fan would have advised my team.
Excellent, this really helps me understand his situation, with much background detail, after reading it makes perfect since why he slipped to round 5. From there, how to measure toughness, grit, competitiveness, otherwise known as the dog he has become. Character, passion for the game, he fits right in with this team from head coach, through CJ and teammates.

Now onto this years NFL draft. Find the same championship character, prioritize fits that fill top needs remaining and coach the hell out of them in a positive environment.
1st rd. Possible trade up
2nd rd. Defense
3rd rd. Offense
4th rd. Depth pieces
5th-7th rd. Special teams, developmental.

Nick Caserio on Stefon Diggs: We’re worried about what a player does in our building
By Josh Alper
Published April 18, 2024 01:03 PM

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ time in Buffalo was marked by a lot of production on the field as well as occasional outbursts during games and away from the field that led some to question if the former was worth putting up with the latter.

One of the reactions to the Bills’ decision to trade him to the Texans this month was that the Bills decided that the equation no longer balanced out. The Texans’ move to acquire him suggests they feel differently and General Manager Nick Caserio said on Thursday that he “doesn’t know what that means” when asked if Diggs’ “diva” reputation was a concern.

Caserio said that the Texans are “worried about what a player does when he walks in our building” and that the Texans aren’t going to make any judgments ahead of time.

“I think it’s unfair to label anybody until they actually have an opportunity to walk in the building,” Caserio said, via Adam Wexler of SportsRadio790. “Our environment is different than another environment, so we really don’t know what’s going on in 31 other buildings.”

The Texans and Diggs agreed to a revised contract that puts Diggs on a path to become a free agent after the 2024 season, which some saw as a sign that they wanted to hedge against any of the negative moments the Bills went through with Diggs the last few years. That could backfire if Diggs leaves after one season, but Caserio and the Texans are betting things will work out.

I see a common theme here - opposing DCs think he's going Diggs, then Nico/Tank, then CJ takes takes Schultz on the dump off.

Nick Caserio on Stefon Diggs: We’re worried about what a player does in our building
By Josh Alper
Published April 18, 2024 01:03 PM

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ time in Buffalo was marked by a lot of production on the field as well as occasional outbursts during games and away from the field that led some to question if the former was worth putting up with the latter.

One of the reactions to the Bills’ decision to trade him to the Texans this month was that the Bills decided that the equation no longer balanced out. The Texans’ move to acquire him suggests they feel differently and General Manager Nick Caserio said on Thursday that he “doesn’t know what that means” when asked if Diggs’ “diva” reputation was a concern.

Caserio said that the Texans are “worried about what a player does when he walks in our building” and that the Texans aren’t going to make any judgments ahead of time.

“I think it’s unfair to label anybody until they actually have an opportunity to walk in the building,” Caserio said, via Adam Wexler of SportsRadio790. “Our environment is different than another environment, so we really don’t know what’s going on in 31 other buildings.”

The Texans and Diggs agreed to a revised contract that puts Diggs on a path to become a free agent after the 2024 season, which some saw as a sign that they wanted to hedge against any of the negative moments the Bills went through with Diggs the last few years. That could backfire if Diggs leaves after one season, but Caserio and the Texans are betting things will work out.
Caserio's ok paying Diggs $22 m so if necessary, he should be good with franchise tag for ~ $25 m.

Most accurate at mocks.
Following round 1 only with numerous trades:

Then why ask why bad hitters become hitting coaches? Applying that to Carr implies that he could become a QB coach. I don't think you mean that....I hope you dont
Why the f*** does anyone care what he has to say in the first place? He’s just another blowhard on TV who ain’t any better than anyone here, except he gets paid much better for his takes than we do.

Why the f*** does anyone care what he has to say in the first place? He’s just another blowhard on TV who ain’t any better than anyone here, except he gets paid much better for his takes than we do.
I would assume the person who posted his comments here cares, David Carr is just worse at everything Chris Simms. One has a job because of his dad and the other causes an irrational response when he talks about what makes a good QB in the NFL.

But yes I know my reaction to Carr is irrational

Back