Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deshaun Watson... are we giving him a pass?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Is this a common thing or has Deshaun Watson started a movement?

Russell Wilson didn't want the Seattle Seahawks to move on from Brian Schottenheimer as their offensive coordinator.
He does want some say in their next one.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
How to make Watson happy. Not a bad idea, taken from NFL.com

Jason Reid, The Undefeated senior NFL writer: Give Watson significant input in the head-coaching search. Regardless of whether there's simply a good-faith misunderstanding between team CEO Cal McNair and Watson or McNair badly erred in misleading the organization's franchise QB, this much is clear: The Texans are in an awful place and need to get out of it. Quickly. Mending fences with Watson should top the Texans' to-do list -- even ahead of hiring a new HC. Watson just completed his age-25 season. In terms of passers in the league in Watson's age bracket who possess similar talent, one can count them on one hand. In terms of the future of their franchise, the Texans must get back to being on the same page with Watson. Or something as close to it as possible.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

Russell Wilson didn't want the Seattle Seahawks to move on from Brian Schottenheimer as their offensive coordinator.
These young cats know their value and are not wasting it on crap teams and decisions. Look for more of this as time goes on.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
That brings up the huge question. Is Watson maxed out? Is it as good as he is going to get? If so, you have to consider a trade if you are the GM or even the FO. Cal is not going to want the poster boy for his team to be all over social media saying stuff against the team. Plus, how much issue is he going to be in the locker room?

Keep it in mind that Carolina made the Super Bowl with Jake Delhome (sp) a solid D and good coaches. Watson is good but is he going to improve. It's been 4 years and he is still making mistakes they called out in college. Poor choices (reading the D) with the ball and holding it too long. Nobody can say that he can or can't win a SB. Just as much as they can't say our current backup QB can't win one.
Hey Pencil, just an FYI NFL.com has an article about this on it. Also stating the weakness of every QB in the NFL.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

A bit of both. But, I don't think it's Watson who started it. Seeing Cal and Easterby don't seem to good at listening to anything but each other

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

NFL players have seen what NBA players can do to teams and they want the same kind of pull. There are two main problems with this though.

1: Football is much more a team sport. We saw this year no matter how great a QB if the rest of the team is bad then you aren’t winning. Basketball one star player can give you a fighting chance at least.

2: Team owners saw what was happening with the NBA so they took steps to nip it in the bud. NBA contracts keep going if a player sits out so they can wait out a team. NFL contract freeze so a team can wait out a sitting player. On top of that the new CBA is very unfriendly to sitting players money wise. It’s a big reason guys like JJ and McAfee spoke out against it, but the players voted and it was signed so to late now boys.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I have to say that while I have some sympathy for Watson being upset, I can’t stand the way he’s gone about it.

Snide Twitter comments veiled in rap lyrics, off the record messages to talking heads.

He just signed a great contract despite the economic situation, he knew how this team operated before doing so, but he snatched at a top of the market contract before beginning this.

I hate what Cal is doing to this team even worse, but if Watson wants to behave like this so soon after taking them to the cleaners in contract negotiations, I set my price extremely high, and if I don’t get that I dare him to sit and freeze that contract.

Texans should be more than comfortable with tanking next season anyway. The difference between tanking and trying seems to be around 4 wins.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Texans front office/ownership is a walking clusterfuck just like it has been their entire history, but if Watson wants out just say it. I am sick of the cryptic tweets and the media speculation.
He wants out. But he has to be very careful with what he says. Right now the Texans own him. Say too much negative and end up playing in a city that can't buy a win. It's not speculation if McClain gets going with damage control articles. He did it with the original tweet about "some things never change". Even if it was deleted (no doubt orders of Cal) to be taken down. Watson has to play his cards right for a trade or even to play. Houston could bench him and let him rot. They have the power to do it.

texanhead08

All Pro
He wants out. But he has to be very careful with what he says. Right now the Texans own him. Say too much negative and end up playing in a city that can't buy a win. It's not speculation if McClain gets going with damage control articles. He did it with the original tweet about "some things never change". Even if it was deleted (no doubt orders of Cal) to be taken down. Watson has to play his cards right for a trade or even to play. Houston could bench him and let him rot. They have the power to do it.

He has a no trade clause he won't go anywhere unless he agrees to it.

nut

Veteran
If we let him go we are complete idiots. The heck with what his agent or anybody else wants, we want a Super Bowl for the Houston Texans. We waited a long time for a quarterback and we finally got one. You can't win a Super Bowl without one. If you got to sit him, do it. I personally will not want to keep my season tickets without a good quarterback. That is my decision, been waiting too long. Very few QB's can do it. It takes too long to rebuild without one. Have been waiting for what seems like forever. Best of luck to us fellow Texan fans.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame

No it's just continued NBAification of ****.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
NFL players have seen what NBA players can do to teams and they want the same kind of pull. There are two main problems with this though.

1: Football is much more a team sport. We saw this year no matter how great a QB if the rest of the team is bad then you aren’t winning. Basketball one star player can give you a fighting chance at least.

2: Team owners saw what was happening with the NBA so they took steps to nip it in the bud. NBA contracts keep going if a player sits out so they can wait out a team. NFL contract freeze so a team can wait out a sitting player. On top of that the new CBA is very unfriendly to sitting players money wise. It’s a big reason guys like JJ and McAfee spoke out against it, but the players voted and it was signed so to late now boys.

The NBA model sucks for fans .... Just look how Harden forced his way out and took the franchise down with it.

I get the idea that the team almost has to make a stand here or run the risk of players having the same leverage in the NFL and that's really only good for the "superstar player" and no one else , not the fans , not the owners and not the rank and file players.

This is simply about control .... if the owners don't draw a line in the sand , they lose what control they do have over player movement.

And lets be honest here , what is Watson really upset about ? Is it because his team was / is bad ? Is it because of the "social justice" stuff ? Neither are legit reasons to renege on the contract he inked his John Hancock to. Neither is the idea that he should be involved in the hiring of a GM (or HC).

As for "wasted careers / years" .... He's not owed a damn thing other than the dollars he signed for. There's 31 losers every year .....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And lets be honest here , what is Watson really upset about ? Is it because his team was / is bad ? Is it because of the "social justice" stuff ? Neither are legit reasons to renege on the contract he inked his John Hancock to. Neither is the idea that he should be
I'd be mad if I found out the Texans traded away a "big brother" because my mom asked them to. That's a big slap in the face & something I can see as unforgivable.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If we let him go we are complete idiots. The heck with what his agent or anybody else wants, we want a Super Bowl for the Houston Texans. We waited a long time for a quarterback and we finally got one. You can't win a Super Bowl without one. If you got to sit him, do it. I personally will not want to keep my season tickets without a good quarterback. That is my decision, been waiting too long. Very few QB's can do it. It takes too long to rebuild without one. Have been waiting for what seems like forever. Best of luck to us fellow Texan fans.
How will you feel if they draft a QB they think can be their new franchise QB?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think maybe he was at a 2 when Hopkins was traded. He went to 10 when he found out why.
Hold up, so you're saying that for over a year Watson and Hopkins didn't talk to each other, they didn't talk right after Hopkins got traded, they didn't talk before Watson signed the big contract. It was only when they brought Caserio in that Watson checked into why Hopkins was traded? Thats a pretty big stretch.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hold up, so you're saying that for over a year Watson and Hopkins didn't talk to each other, they didn't talk right after Hopkins got traded, they didn't talk before Watson signed the big contract. It was only when they brought Caserio in that Watson checked into why Hopkins was traded? Thats a pretty big stretch.
Everybody thought it was about Hopkins, O’Brien & the contract. Hopkins probably thought it was about the contract. Then O’Brien called him in & mentioned his behavior. Still sounds like an O’Brien thing.

They blame Easterby’s influence.

Watson starts seeing Easterby’s hand in a lot of things. He tweets after Caserio is hired. Cal tries to smooth things over, explains Easterby had nothing to do with Hopkins & tells him the truth.

Watson was at 2... then he took it to 10.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Everybody thought it was about Hopkins, O’Brien & the contract. Hopkins probably thought it was about the contract. Then O’Brien called him in & mentioned his behavior. Still sounds like an O’Brien thing.

They blame Easterby’s influence.

Watson starts seeing Easterby’s hand in a lot of things. He tweets after Caserio is hired. Cal tries to smooth things over, explains Easterby had nothing to do with Hopkins & tells him the truth.

Watson was at 2... then he took it to 10.
As plausible as any other theory.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
look i love watson he is a great player

but these head scratching losses are just swirling in my brain

losing/getting blown the hell out
-cincy
-vikings
-denver
-chicago
-forgeting what down it was vs Tennessee
-ravens just curb stomping us

my point is what has watson done here we never even been to the afc championship game ?????

htowntexans1985

1st Round Pick
Is anyone talking about the influence that Hopkins has on Watson? Seems to me that he got into Watson’s head and explained to him what to do and how to act to get his way. Hopkins acts like a diva and I think it rubbed off on Watson. Hopkins is still mentioning the Texans on his social media!

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
Is anyone talking about the influence that Hopkins has on Watson? Seems to me that he got into Watson’s head and explained to him what to do and how to act to get his way. Hopkins acts like a diva and I think it rubbed off on Watson. Hopkins is still mentioning the Texans on his social media!
Why do y’all just throw the D word around like it just applies for everyone when they do something you don’t like.
Hop didn’t even ask to be traded he was just flat out traded. Deshaun hasn’t said a word publicly about the situation but clearly he’s communicated with Texans that he wants a trade. Do you want him to speak on the entire situation publicly and not handle things in house? I’m confused by what people want.

htowntexans1985

1st Round Pick
Why do y’all just throw the D word around like it just applies for everyone when they do something you don’t like.
Hop didn’t even ask to be traded he was just flat out traded. Deshaun hasn’t said a word publicly about the situation but clearly he’s communicated with Texans that he wants a trade. Do you want him to speak on the entire situation publicly and not handle things in house? I’m confused by what people want.
By asking for a rework on his contract. (Which he knew there was no way we could do) he asked to be traded.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Agent seems to be doing the same thing he did with Jalen Ramsey to force him out of Jacksonville, but that doesn't mean the Texans front office/ownership aren't blameless in this fiasco.
One look at my post history over the last 7 years would clarify any doubts about me thinking the Texans front office is blameless is any of this.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Agent seems to be doing the same thing he did with Jalen Ramsey to force him out of Jacksonville, but that doesn't mean the Texans front office/ownership aren't blameless in this fiasco.

We really don't know what he's got his panties in a wad over .... Cal / Caserio might actually be innocent in the matter.

He may just be pissed off cause the team sucks .... and if that's the case , I could see why he signed the extension prior to making the trade demands as with all his bonus money accounted for , he's a relative bargain on the new contract with the Texans having eaten that $27m on this years cap.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Back in December of 2018, after publicly declaring his interest in becoming the Cleveland Browns head coach, then-retired Bruce Arians was on the CBS broadcast team that called the Texans-Browns game featuring Watson versus Browns QB Baker Mayfield.

It was there that Arians revealed he had a problem with Watson eating too many sacks.
“If there’s one negative right now to Deshaun’s game, he will not throw the ball away,” Arians said. “He’s got that Superman cape on; he thinks he can make something out of nothin’ every time. Nobody’s open. Don’t lose those yards. Throw that ball away.”

Texansballer74

The Marine
Back in December of 2018, after publicly declaring his interest in becoming the Cleveland Browns head coach, then-retired Bruce Arians was on the CBS broadcast team that called the Texans-Browns game featuring Watson versus Browns QB Baker Mayfield.

It was there that Arians revealed he had a problem with Watson eating too many sacks.
I guess this can be said about Burrows, Mahomas, Murray, Wilson, Big Ben in his glory days and several other quarterbacks who tries to keep plays alive.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I guess this can be said about Burrows, Mahomas, Murray, Wilson, Big Ben in his glory days and several other quarterbacks who tries to keep plays alive.
When Arians made that quote, it was Watson's 2nd year and he might have started 16-18 NFL games at that time. In other words, barely one season. Don't get me wrong. Criticizing a young QB for holding the ball too long is a fair criticism. However, some posters act like Watson is the only QB who holds the ball too long or he couldn't improve on his game with more experience and better coaching.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Is this a hint that Arians would not be interested in trading for Watson? It's interesting that Arians was on the sidelines watching Roethlisberger holding the ball too long for nine seasons. So, he knows firsthand about a QB holding the ball too long looking for the big play. In October 2019, he had this to say about Watson:

"He's got that deep ball like Russell," Arians said. "When he scrambles he's not looking to run, he's looking to fire that thing deep, and they've got those three fast guys that are always going deep. But then he can also beat you with his legs in the zone read and those things. Of the guys I've seen the most of, I would have to compare him to Russell."

Bruce Arians on Deshaun Watson: “He’s one of my favorite players” (houstontexans.com)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When Arians made that quote, it was Watson's 2nd year and he might have started 16-18 NFL games at that time. In other words, barely one season. Don't get me wrong. Criticizing a young QB for holding the ball too long is a fair criticism. However, some posters act like Watson is the only QB who holds the ball too long or he couldn't improve on his game with more experience and better coaching.
And some posters act like he's Jesus in Cleats.

Top 5 QB? LMAO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Is this a hint that Arians would not be interested in trading for Watson? It's interesting that Arians was on the sidelines watching Roethlisberger holding the ball too long for nine seasons. So, he knows firsthand about a QB holding the ball too long looking for the big play. In October 2019, he had this to say about Watson:

"He's got that deep ball like Russell," Arians said. "When he scrambles he's not looking to run, he's looking to fire that thing deep, and they've got those three fast guys that are always going deep. But then he can also beat you with his legs in the zone read and those things. Of the guys I've seen the most of, I would have to compare him to Russell."

Bruce Arians on Deshaun Watson: “He’s one of my favorite players” (houstontexans.com)
Of course that's what he did, scramble around and look for the deep throw and if it wasn't there take off running. You can win some games and make alot of highlight reel plays that way. But no championships.

Notice what type of QB play made the SB this yr, and for that matter the AFCCG/NFCCG's? Derrick aint the guy to change this trend. Mahomes may be able to change the trend because he's got unreal athletic ability. But his contract is very soon going to make winning another SB very unlikely.