Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deshaun Watson... are we giving him a pass?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Due to lack of cap space or draft picks you are just going to waste your star QB's career, just like they have wasted AJ/JJ's career. If you're truly a DW4 fan you should be hoping for a trade.
2020 Watson and Tunsil were 11% of the cap. 2021 Watson and Tunsil will be 19% of the cap and the Texans will be $20MM over the cap. 2022 Watson and Tunsil will be 30% of cap.

Texian

Hall of Fame
2020 Watson and Tunsil were 11% of the cap. 2021 Watson and Tunsil will be 19% of the cap and the Texans will be $20MM over the cap. 2022 Watson and Tunsil will be 30% of cap.
Watson alone will be almost 20% of the salary cap in 2022. Bill O'Brien has made Deshaun Watson TRADEABLE. IMHO The Texans have a better chance of winning long term if they trade Watson versus keeping him. I think Watson will be traded and you can file this one under irreconcilable differences. One thing is for sure, the Deshaun Watson auction is going to be fun to watch. Now do I hear 4 first round draft picks........

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
2021 Watson and Tunsil will be 19% of the cap and the Texans will be $20MM over the cap.
League rules do not allow a team to be over the cap. The Texans will be under the cap in 2021. Without trading Watson or Tunsil.
Watson alone will be almost 20% of the salary cap in 2022.
Just for the general knowledge of the forum: No one knows the 2022 cap number, yet. Not even the NFL.

Texian

Hall of Fame
League rules do not allow a team to be over the cap. The Texans will be under the cap in 2021. Without trading Watson or Tunsil.

Just for the general knowledge of the forum: No one knows the 2022 cap number, yet. Not even the NFL.
All understood but as we sit here and type waiting on the new league year to start, the Houston Texans are $20 million over the new league year salary cap. This illustrates just how many problems the Texans are facing. And yes when the new league year begins, all 32 teams cannot exceed the salary cap, that's a given.

Yes no one knows what the cap will be. A general consensus of a ballpark figure, or in neighborhood of, or close enough for government work will suffice. All 3 will be within a player or two avg. salary of being right. Conventional wisdom and scuttlebutt says the salary cap will decline because of all of the lost revenue. So based on ballpark figures I think discussion of salary figures can continue on a fan team message board.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
All understood but as we sit here and type waiting on the new league year to start, the Houston Texans are $20 million over the new league year salary cap. This illustrates just how many problems the Texans are facing. And yes when the new league year begins, all 32 teams cannot exceed the salary cap, that's a given.

Yes no one knows what the cap will be. A general consensus of a ballpark figure, or in neighborhood of, or close enough for government work will suffice. All 3 will be within a player or two avg. salary of being right. Conventional wisdom and scuttlebutt says the salary cap will decline because of all of the lost revenue. So based on ballpark figures I think discussion of salary figures can continue on a fan team message board.
Again, the Texans will be under the cap with Watson and Tunsil in 2021.

No one knows the 2022 cap number.

Everything else is rank speculation.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

The league lost about $5.5Billion in revenue.

The owners and NFLPA agreed to leave last years cap "as is" and spread losses to the players over the next 4 years.

With the revenue split between players and owners being roughly 51/49 that $5.5B in losses equates to about $86m per team for the owners and another $86m for the players. (5.5B / 32=171.875m / 2=85.937.m)
That $86m from the players spread over 4 years comes to $21.5m in salary reductions per year On Top Of any future reductions based upon previous years revenue.

So now 2021's cap is calculated off of $12B in revenue instead of the 17.5B from 2019 and then subtract the agreed to player losses of $21.484m for 2020.

Using a 50/50 split instead of the 51/49 to simplify the math .... that could put the 2021 cap at $166,016,000.

12B/2/32-21.484m=166,016,000

Edit: My suspicion is that it won't be quite that low as they won't use the revenue figures from 2020 alone to calculate the cap , they'll meet somewhere in the middle of that 12 / 17.5 figure and it'll be a closer to 185-190m

Texian

Hall of Fame
Again, the Texans will be under the cap with Watson and Tunsil in 2021.

No one knows the 2022 cap number.

Everything else is rank speculation.
Again, the Texans will be under the cap with Watson and Tunsil in 2021. - That's exactly what I said come the start of the new league year. That doesn't mean the Texans won't have to do some fancy dancing to get to cap number.

No one knows the 2022 cap number. - Whether you choose to believe it or not, folks who follow and study the salary cap like Sportrac will be close enough for people like us to have reasonable discussions about the salary cap. So should we just STOP all discussions of future salary caps?

Everything else is rank speculation. = Maybe not as rank as you suspect or want it to be.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
021 Watson and Tunsil will be 19% of the cap and the Texans will be $20MM over the cap. 2022 Watson and Tunsil will be 30% of cap.
You're using the definitive. Could be. May be. Possibly. This is the correct verbiage when speculating. Otherwise, you're confusing the audience.
That doesn't mean the Texans won't have to do some fancy dancing to get to cap number.
There were always going to be cuts based on salary and performance. Regardless of Watson's cap hit.
So should we just STOP all discussions of future salary caps?
No one is stopping you. Just as no one is stopping me from correcting you.

Texian

Hall of Fame
You're using the definitive. Could be. May be. Possibly. This is the correct verbiage when speculating. Otherwise, you're confusing the audience.

There were always going to be cuts based on salary and performance. Regardless of Watson's cap hit.

No one is stopping you. Just as no one is stopping me from correcting you.
It's all approximate, no one said it was not. It's Sportrac numbers not mine. If you can't live with that, correct on. If you want to continue to do snarky, I can do snarky.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

So you think the cap is going back to 2019 levels by 2022 with the pandemic still going strong and Dr. Faucci saying it will be next fall at the earliest before things return to normal. I dont want to get political but it will be even worse if/when Biden shuts down the economy again. Add this in with a portion of the NFL fanbase (I have 4 friends that used to come over and watch football with me on Sunday that no longer make watching the NFL a priority. We still get together but for instance we aren't getting together today to watch the playoff games like we do every yr. Whether you want to admit it or not, people are turned off by this stuff and are watching/doing other things. I wonder what the NFL's ratings would be without FF?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nothing he said suggested that.
He said we dont know what the 2022 cap is going to look like. This is true.

What do you think is the more likely scenario, the cap stays the same, goes up slightly but not to the 2019 levels, or surpasses the 2019 levels?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just a couple of weeks ago, after Fauci got the vaccine, he said if the rollout goes efficiently... things could be back to normal as early as THIS June.
Before, he said this fall. He doesn't know.

This is another wear your mask/dont wear your mask moment.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you feel this way, then why quote Fauci in the first place?
Because that's what he said and many people believe him.

Obviously you're one of those people and there's nothing wrong with this. Faucci has made alot of contradictory statements when it comes to the Covid-19, because it's a virus and they are unpredictable. I believe that since it's a virus it will have to run its course just like any other virus. Speaking of this it's already mutated and we dont know if the vaccine will work on the new mutated form of the virus. CnD needs to speak on this and probably do it in the Covid thread.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Because that's what he said and many people believe him.

Obviously you're one of those people and there's nothing wrong with this. Faucci has made alot of contradictory statements when it comes to the Covid-19, because it's a virus and they are unpredictable. I believe that since it's a virus it will have to run its course just like any other virus. Speaking of this it's already mutated and we dont know if the vaccine will work on the new mutated form of the virus. CnD needs to speak on this and probably do it in the Covid thread.
You're the one that originally quoted Fauci to help support your salary cap argument. Now you're saying he's contradicting and Covid is hard to predict. You see why it's hard to take you seriously around here?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're the one that originally quoted Fauci to help support your salary cap argument. Now you're saying he's contradicting and Covid is hard to predict. You see why it's hard to take you seriously around here?
I said this because Faucci is a universally respected authority on Covid.

I'm not one of the people who believe everything he says because is opinions change about as often as his underwear.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oh look, Tannehill is that Great QB without Henry blasting for over 100 yards. Ravens shut down the Titans run and Tannehill looks VERY ordinary.
I thought he looked good. Good accuracy.

Smith insisted on running Henry against a stacked box.

Very O'Brien like.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know. This sure sounds like excuses. What good is accuracy if they didn't score on their opening drive and could only score 3 points in the second half? :kitten:
I actually agree with you

There were plays there to be made. My question is how many passes vs runs did the Titans have in the 2nd half?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
2021 1st/2nd
2022 1st/2nd

1 above avg starting level player and said team eating Mercilus contract.
I could see this depending on what team we are trading with. A 1st round with the Jets for example is worth much more than a 1st with the Steelers. It would have to be a top 10 first round and odds being the 22 pick would at least be top 15.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don't know. This sure sounds like excuses. What good is accuracy if they didn't score on their opening drive and could only score 3 points in the second half? :kitten:

Man Tannehill played like crap. He did not step up again when they needed him to. When he doesn’t have the luxury of Henry running wild, he’s terrible period.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
18/26 165 yds 1TD 1INT. Now now...This would not fly if it was you know who in a PLAYOFF game. Having said that Ryan is JAG. He’s not going to will his team to a win, just a fact, he’s JAG
Yep, just what I thought, they were stacking the box and Smith continued to run into a stacked box. Should've used AJ Brown more that guys a stud too.

Decim8

Veteran
I wouldn’t go so far to say tanehill is a JAG, he still had a good season. Imo I still rate him somewhere in the top 10/12 qb.

Its just that once you take that running game away then all bets are off. I can only imagine what he be like behind this putrid line and a non existence ground game

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn’t go so far to say tanehill is a JAG, he still had a good season. Imo I still rate him somewhere in the top 10/12 qb.

Its just that once you take that running game away then all bets are off. I can only imagine what he be like behind this putrid line and a non existence ground game
He would look like he did in miami. Which isn't too bad.

He also would be hurt most of the time like he was when he was in Miami.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I don't think the title of the article really described the substance. I think Moon made valid points....but in no way did he say Watson had the Texans over the barrel.

Cal, Caserio and Watson need to get together and iron out any hurt feelings. If Watson says, duck this!!!! I want out. Then Cal and Caserio must inform Watson that he needs to play ball with them and they'll find him a new team so long as they get the right or better value in return. Watson may have the "no trade" clause but the Texans hold his rights.

Last edited: