Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

thats the thing…i never said he wasnt good..i just said hes not doing a whole lot…not being asked to anyway & he hasn’t been. The only legit QB/WR combo he & the Jets have has faced is Burrow and the boys…& they had no problems with Sauce…Higgins ate well against him.
The only long pass he allowed was a well-thrown ball and a great catch by Higgins around the 4:30 mark in this video.
Sauce was right there.

And that was after a great break up on a deep pass on the prior play.

3 catches out of 5 targets in the Cincy game for 60 yards. 2 PDs
Burrow had 275 yards total.
2 catches out of 7 targets against Rodgers for 20 yards.

The boy did not allow any TD.

That's plenty of good work.

You're just trying to diminish his accomplishment, that is all.

Accomplishment? Lol, I'm not trying to diminsh anything, only being objective in how i assess.....which is something we know you and a few other have trouble being. Burrow had 275 yards passing b/c the safeties were too busy shading coverage over the top of Chase...So even when he was in man with Chase, he wasn't really... That's why Boyd was able to go off for 105 and a touch and Higgins went off for another 93 yards...and as you so astutely pointed out, the bulk of what Higgins had was on Sauce. Like i said NO PROBLEMS...& he's not even being asked to do as much.

The only long pass he allowed was a well-thrown ball and a great catch by Higgins around the 4:30 mark in this video.
Sauce was right there.

And that was after a great break up on a deep pass on the prior play.

I'm familiar with the play. Its damn near the same deep ball look that he got called for PI against the packers...that he was beat on. The pressure the Jets front 7 is creating on qbs is forcing alot of bad and errant throws from qbs...most of which they've faced aren't good to begin with.

Last edited:
Accomplishment? Lol, I'm not trying to diminsh anything, only being objective in how i assess.....which is something we know you and a few other have trouble being. Burrow had 275 yards passing b/c the safeties were too busy shading coverage over the top of Chase...So even when he was in man with Chase, he wasn't really... That's why Boyd was able to go off for 105 and a touch and Higgins went off for another 93 yards...and as you so astutely pointed out, the bulk of what Higgins had was on Sauce. Like i said NO PROBLEMS...& he's not even being asked to do as much.
He/she taught steelB how to dig a rabbit hole. Don't fall down it... it's even deeper

I am here to let people know, there is no prize for being right. Secondly, one does not have to be bad, for the other to be good. So far, they both look good. Finally, you cannot compare beyond a doubt two players like this, different teams, different schemes, better Jets front...so, geez, just enjoy that both teams have some good youth movement happening and maybe one day there will be different teams to watch

I am here to let people know, there is no prize for being right. Secondly, one does not have to be bad, for the other to be good. So far, they both look good. Finally, you cannot compare beyond a doubt two players like this, different teams, different schemes, better Jets front...so, geez, just enjoy that both teams have some good youth movement happening and maybe one day there will be different teams to watch

There is no place for logic here.

the thread title sets all this up.sauce VS stingley

The problem with those that expect Stingley to overtake Sauce as the better pick out of the two given enough time, time is actually not Stingley's friend. Out of the two, Right Now he's the one that is likely to wear down as the season, and their careers, march on.

For me, the 3rd overall pick in the 2022 draft didn't have to be Sauce. It just shouldn't have been Stingley.

Greg Cosell was high on Sauce while talking on the herd when talking jets, short and quick review

As he should be Sauce is a really good player. He's also still learning on the job, but playing at a high level in the scheme he's asked to play in.

Stingley is also a really good player. Stingley is playing about 60-40% zone/man with a substandard pass rush. Wonder what percentage man/zone Sauce is playing?

The problem with those that expect Stingley to overtake Sauce as the better pick out of the two given enough time, time is actually not Stingley's friend. Out of the two, Right Now he's the one that is likely to wear down as the season, and their careers, march on.

For me, the 3rd overall pick in the 2022 draft didn't have to be Sauce. It just shouldn't have been Stingley.

Yeah, but that injury potential, man, that has Houston Texans written all over it! lol

Watched Patrick Surtain II shutdown Mike Williams completely, best CB in the NFL? Only second year in, selected #9 overall by Donkeys. #1 corners are worth their weight in gold. Stingley compares favorably to Surtain style wise, a premium press corner.

I never did a mock prior to the draft, but ironically, I was planning on doing one where we selected Sauce at #3 & Stingley at #15 on the assumption that he would've slipped that far due to his medical concerns. I didn't expect us to take Stingley at #3, but I haven't been disappointed thus far. Time will tell if the injury will resurface. But, imagine if we had been able to draft both of them & Pitre in the second round. We'd have the potential of having the best secondary in the NFL for the next five years, at least. Of course, we needed line help too. I'm hoping we get to see Christian Harris get some snaps in the next game or two. Maybe he can help the front seven get more pressure on the opposing QB's. Very good & spirited discussions guys. Keep it coming.

As he should be Sauce is a really good player. He's also still learning on the job, but playing at a high level in the scheme he's asked to play in.

Stingley is also a really good player. Stingley is playing about 60-40% zone/man with a substandard pass rush. Wonder what percentage man/zone Sauce is playing?
He said he was impressed with adaption to zone along with his man capabilities

Seems like both of them are solid pros

But sauce is in a bigger market and they are winning

Caserio is a year behind the jets GM in talent acquisition.

I would have preferred sauce but stingley is legit as well

Sauce is good and had a good game, but the near pick was not special. The receiver missed the ball and it bounced up, he was at least 5 yards off the receiver and handled a bounce well. Jets D is coming along, Packers offense is not
I don’t think that was his man. He came off his guy to make that play.

I agree has nothing to do with “roasting” Rodgers.

But it was a good play. Should have been anyway

There are a number of rookie CB's having a good year. Kaiir Elam for one
Who was that #27 the other night? 4th round rookie. Was getting picked on. 3 PIs in the first half.

But came back & made some nice plays in the 2nd. Broncos I think his name was Mathis.

Reactions: JB
anyone who has watched the jets this year knows that pass rush is doing the heavy lifting & Sauce is benefiting from that….so its Not laughable at all.
Should be obvious Houston has no pass rush. Houston can’t get a lead (except that one time). Houston can’t stop the run.

Excuses, I know. But it all matters. Judge Stingley in his situation. Judge Gardner in his. Like it was said earlier, several rookie CBS playing well

He said he was impressed with adaption to zone along with his man capabilities

Seems like both of them are solid pros

But sauce is in a bigger market and they are winning

Caserio is a year behind the jets GM in talent acquisition.

I would have preferred sauce but stingley is legit as well

This is where I'm at. Injuries made me Sauce> Stingley. I originally had Stingley at 3, but after reading CnD Stingley will have to beat the odds.

Agreed, the Jets had an three 1sts and a high 2nd. They nailed all of their picks. The Texans only had two 1sts and a high 2nd. Caserio nailed his picks too. The Jets also have their QB of the future.

You're showing your bias through and through.

Sauce was in one on one, man coverage on two consecutive plays.
He broke up the first one.
He was right there on the second one, with an arm pulling on the receiver's left arm.

The receiver ran a great route.
He used his big body and his left arm to shield off the spot where the ball was coming to.
And he exploded at the last second, catching the ball with one hand.
That was as great a catch as any.
Burrow had no pressure in max protect (it was just a two-man route) and places the ball in the perfect spot.

The single safety, had he shaded over to this side, would have been in position to really break up the pass.

That's asking a lot of a rookie CB, man coverage with next to no help.

Now, if that was a fade forward, it would have been required for the CB (Sauce) to defend it all by himself.

On a two-man route like this one, the single safety has to read the QB.
He's got to see that Burrow was locking in to the Z from the start.
The safety did arrive, but instead of putting the force on the ball, he missed, and put his helmet on the receiver's helmet instead.

Sauce didn't get any help there.

And you're telling me that he wasn't asked to do much.

Totally laughable.

Higgins wasn't eating.
He made a great catch.
Burrow had no pressure and he delivered a pinpoint pass.

To me, it doesn't matter the scheme.
Sauce is the superior cover corner, whether in man or zone.

I noticed; however, that he has a weakness.
He doesn't get off blocks very well.
He's not as useful defending the run or helping other DBs in gang tackling.

I'm familiar with the play. Its damn near the same deep ball look that he got called for PI against the packers...that he was beat on. The pressure the Jets front 7 is creating on qbs is forcing alot of bad and errant throws from qbs...most of which they've faced aren't good to begin with.
And obviously, if it was Cover 2 like Stingly saw more often, the safety would have been there much sooner.
No chance of a catch there.

Your telling us that Sauce wasn't asked to do much is pure imagination.

I expect much more substance from your take.

And obviously, if it was Cover 2 like Stingly saw more often, the safety would have been there much sooner.
No chance of a catch there.

Your telling us that Sauce wasn't asked to do much is pure imagination.

I expect much more substance from your take.

it aint just me saying he’s not being asked to do as much as Stingley buddy. EVERYONE is saying that. Pick any 1 of these videos posted in here.

You're showing your bias through and through.

Sauce was in one on one, man coverage on two consecutive plays.
He broke up the first one.
He was right there on the second one, with an arm pulling on the receiver's left arm.

The receiver ran a great route.
He used his big body and his left arm to shield off the spot where the ball was coming to.
And he exploded at the last second, catching the ball with one hand.
That was as great a catch as any.
Burrow had no pressure in max protect (it was just a two-man route) and places the ball in the perfect spot.

The single safety, had he shaded over to this side, would have been in position to really break up the pass.

That's asking a lot of a rookie CB, man coverage with next to no help.

Now, if that was a fade forward, it would have been required for the CB (Sauce) to defend it all by himself.

On a two-man route like this one, the single safety has to read the QB.
He's got to see that Burrow was locking in to the Z from the start.
The safety did arrive, but instead of putting the force on the ball, he missed, and put his helmet on the receiver's helmet instead.

Sauce didn't get any help there.

And you're telling me that he wasn't asked to do much.

Totally laughable.

Higgins wasn't eating.
He made a great catch.
Burrow had no pressure and he delivered a pinpoint pass.

theres no bias..you just cant handle criticism of “the sauce”…

Reactions: JB
I think Stingley would be better playing more man to man, our LBs are trash in coverage, so when he is playing his deep 1/3 it looks like he struggles with in routes and curls, but to me, the LBs are the issues there. They don't get deep enough to make that throw hard. They leave a huge void.

I am here to let people know, there is no prize for being right.
But Playmates and Van Halen will still be there for the beach birthday party, right?

Fast_times_feat.jpg

Now I know you're just down right silly.

I just finished watching the Ravens game, which was his debut.

He was left on an island from the start.

The Jets played predominantly with a single safety.

Only on a few occasions when the Ravens were in empty or with the TE flexing to the slot, showing pass that they have the SS followed suit in a cover 2 look (but it was still man with a single safety.)

Sauce gave up one catch for 11 yards.
He broke up a long pass play to the big TE Andrews.
He was in great position to help out on the other routes, too.

For you to say that he wasn't asked to do much tells me that you're ridiculously biased.

Please don't come back with words; they're meaningless to me.

Show me something with substance.

To me, it doesn't matter the scheme.
Sauce is the superior cover corner, whether in man or zone.

I noticed; however, that he has a weakness.
He doesn't get off blocks very well.
He's not as useful defending the run or helping other DBs in gang tackling.

does he compare to a young Deon Sanders at all? Deon would stick to guys like glue,but lacked physicality and was a poor tackler.

Or any post he makes.
Dude, have you seen my getting on NC hardly lately?

He doesn't impress me to begin with, but he's not terrible.

Mediocre, about the same as Rick Smith.

Shocking post of the day

Adding 4 guys that can play and possibly up to 6 after injury/illness. I would say you're analysis is mediocre, but that would be polite. Luckily it's 5 o'clock and not midnight or I might tell
you what I really think of your analysis, which with the way some mods are around these parts would surely get me banned again.

Last edited:
does he compare to a young Deon Sanders at all? Deon would stick to guys like glue,but lacked physicality and was a poor tackler.
DS has blazing speed and can recover well due to that, but I can't remember how he looked as a rookie.

Or any post he makes.

Shocking post of the day

Adding 4 guys that can play and possibly up to 6 after injury/illness. I would say you're analysis is mediocre, but that would be polite. Luckily it's 5 o'clock and not midnight or I might tell
you what I really think of your analysis, which with the way some mods are around these parts would surely get me banned again.
Put down those sunshine glasses 🤓🤣

Or any post he makes. He's gotta be the smartest man in the room.

He doesn't seem to understand that how these guys turn out as pros is a long way from being decided.

That's like a century ago.
Do you remember how incessant Steelb can be about Rick Smith? :brando:

Let it go dude RS has been long gone and so is Kubiak who you seem to have had some War and Peace moments with. When is the last draft he had where he drafted as good as this last draft? 4 upgrades starters as starters within the 1st month of the season?

Let it go dude RS has been long gone and so is Kubiak who you seem to have had some War and Peace moments with. When is the last draft he had where he drafted as good as this last draft? 4 upgrades starters as starters within the 1st month of the season?
Rookie starters are more indicative of a bad team or a team that lacks depth.

Look at the 2020 Jaguars, they also had 4 rookie starters.

How about the Browns.
5 rookie starters in 2016,
5 more in 2017, and 5 more in 2018.

The Texans themselves had 7 rookie starters in 2002.

Then in 2006, they had Mario, Demeco, Spencer, OD, and emergency starter Wally Lundi at the start of the year.

Then after Spencer went down, Winston came in and never looked back.

Besides, Caserio had extra picks that he could either use or package in a trade to move up, therefore, increasing the chance to find a better player.

Rookie starters are more indicative of a bad team or a team that lacks depth.

Look at the 2020 Jaguars, they also had 4 rookie starters.

How about the Browns.
5 rookie starters in 2016,
5 more in 2017, and 5 more in 2018.

The Texans themselves had 7 rookie starters in 2002.

Then in 2006, they had Mario, Demeco, Spencer, OD, and emergency starter Wally Lundi at the start of the year.

Then after Spencer went down, Winston came in and never looked back.

Besides, Caserio had extra picks that he could either use or package in a trade to move up, therefore, increasing the chance to find a better player.

Tell me how Caserio got those extra picks. You can expect the same type of drafts for the next 2-3 yrs. You got a problem with Caserio adding 15 or so starters out of the next 2 drafts and there should be even more starters coming in FA in a couple of yrs. Yep, you may not like Caserio for whatever reason, but this franchise is in great shape for the future. Just gotta find a QB.

You never did tell me what you would've consider a great draft this last draft.

The 2016 draft was Casserly's last draft. You have no idea of the term roster building. SMH

I'm done feeding the troll. No matter the subject have you ever changed your mind one time throughout all of these yrs? If you have please point me to this post of yours.

What would you consider to be a successful draft?
When you find the best guy possible at each draft slot consistently.

Sauce vs Stingley, for example.
Tell me how Caserio got those extra picks. You can expect the same type of drafts for the next 2-3 yrs. You got a problem with Caserio adding 15 or so starters out of the next 2 drafts and there should be even more starters coming in FA in a couple of yrs. Yep, you may not like Caserio for whatever reason, but this franchise is in great shape for the future. Just gotta find a QB.

You never did tell me what you would've consider a great draft this last draft.

The 2016 draft was Casserly's last draft. You have no idea of the term roster building. SMH

I'm done feeding the troll. No matter the subject have you ever changed your mind one time throughout all of these yrs? If you have please point me to this post of yours.
Why does it matter how NC get the extra picks?

A GM is supposed to draft the right guy at the particular spot.

But if you want to know, it was because a number of teams thought highly of Watson and were willing to part way with multiple draft picks.

NC had nothing to do with it.

Now, back to the topic, a no. 3 pick is supposed to be a HR, and so far Stingley isn't.
Sauce looks like one.
It's too early to give a finale grade for any draft picks, but you asked so I answer.

So far it looks like NC missed on Sauce.
Does that make for a good draft?
No.

It's just like Allen was there and Nick took Mayfield.
Would that have been a good draft/pick for you?

The same goes for Green and Pitre.
There are several other rookies drafted behind them who are having a much better start.

You like to use the PFF grade to tout that Tunsil is the 5th or 6th best LT, whatever.

Did you bother to check the PFF grades for them three?

Back